Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,865 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? (18649 Views)

Tecno Says This Phone Will Last 3 Days On Full Charge / Charge Your Xpen Well Before Use / 2250mah Battery Takes Upto 5hrs Plus For A Full Charge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Chuukwudi(m): 7:03am On Nov 17, 2016
Oj
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by youngRx(m): 7:03am On Nov 17, 2016
Well i dnt actually know why but I tink dats for older batteries.
Modern Lion batteries dont require full charge at first use. Infact when i bought my phone newly the instruction mannual sugested i drain the battery first before charging to 100%.

Same thing i read when i bought a new laptop battery few months back.
Was asked to drain to 8% befor charging to 100% for first time.

So find the instruction manual that came along with ur phone and read the part about the battery. Am sure u wil get answers

1 Like

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by skedy1(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2016
incredible6:

If you don't know, why comment

Bia...I didn't call anybody's name o!
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by iyke484real(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2016
For SINGLE Cell Li-ion devices:
There is no reason that charging a Li-ion battery up the first time before playing with your new device, would in any way extend the life of the device or the battery.

The simple fact is properly stored lithium-ion batteries are charged to about 50%, and lose some of that charge (depending) while sitting around in the package, or being shipped. So properly treated the battery will have less than 50% charge when you get it.

Why are they recommending or even insisting on getting you to charge?
Because when you first get a device , you spend a long time configuring it and testing it. When you first test the device it gives you a "first impression" of the device. The battery WILL run out. Running out sucks :-)

Because almost every Li-ion device sold has a protection circuit to keep the battery from dropping too low in voltage, there is no reason to enforce this policy or worry about it other than, It is going to run out, and you will be unhappy.

If when you get your device, the battery voltage is so low that your device will not operate, you should definitely charge the battery, before leaving it in said device. The battery should not have come to you in that condition, and would be a suspect battery at that point. The low voltage protection could have saved it mostly still anyway.
How bad the battery would be at that point could vary from totally usable still, to completely unusable.

This all changes slightly, and gets more confusing with higher voltage Li-ion batteries.

SERIES: With laptop batteries it can be more important to charge before use, because a proper charge circuit could balance.
This all gets very complicated and muddled. A "proper" circuit for series Li-ion would not ever allow any cell in the series to get so low in voltage that it it could damage a battery.
Fact is , there are improper circuits out there, that do not monitor Every cell in the battery pack. But often those same poorly done battery packs and charge systems will not have balance either.
So there is one type of series pack style (no individual battery cut-off) that it would be far better to charge it first before using it. Under very specific situations, with this one type of semi-proper system, it could damage cells permanently to a small or large degree, even on the first "way too low" discharge of a single cell.

Other non reasons: To calibrate the Battery, While many devices have a specific Ma usage metering capability in the chip, there is no reason that charging it then or later would change that. Again even if the battery uses this kind of "info lithium" or "smart" capability to determine battery fill, there is still (usually) protection that would keep the battery from being damaged.

Some of it might come from older battery types like Ni-cd and Ni-mhy where a full charge is way more helpful, And can balance out a series set of batteries prior to discharge. This keeps the battery set from reverse charge.
Because Li-ion (every one) is supposed to have protection, and also should be balanced on charge, it does not balance the same way Ni-?? chemistry can or do.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 17, 2016
Sellfish:
Because First impressions matter cool

Same reason why a girl's Congo has to be shined properly at the first opportunity in order to put her respect and bed-credibility towards you in an optimum situation smiley .... one thing with bed-reputation with a girl is that once not confirmed at the 1st 'charging session', a 2nd chance is hardly ever given to salvage the situation cry

So......Just like after confirming your bed-reputation to a girl at the first 'charging session', you can afford not to charge her properly a FEW times among subsequent charges..... same applies to phones. .. charge it full d 1st time in order to unleash the dragon in the battery .... after that, you can afford to be a bit more carefree cool

wa gbayi
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by koolcat: 7:12am On Nov 17, 2016
passyhansome:
PLUG IT TO TRANSFORMER
KO GBE JOOR
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by HtwoOw: 7:13am On Nov 17, 2016
Urban legend

I kill the battery parapara just testing the apps and speakers on my new phone, then I charge it with Nigerian phcn up to 50% so the battery will adjust its sense to Nigerian power supply

Charge am full, you dey pamper the battery, charge am reach 20% and try use am for 15 hours grin grin
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:18am On Nov 17, 2016
illitrate:
Forget the hours, the important fact there is charge a new battery until is shows fully charged then you can use.
It is not advisable to leave your phone on charge when the battery is full as it kills the cells.

Do not allow anyone to tell you how many hours you have to charge, your new battery could be eliminated, annihilated
or even assassinated. grin grin grin

Just charged until it is full
you cant switch off my phone while charging, so what do you do?
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Getintouch2004(m): 7:19am On Nov 17, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
The first charge usually is to ensure that the capacitive charge of the battery is realised in tandem with the voltage and resistance of the phone requirements. Like if you liked my explanation because honestly I don't know what I'm saying sef.

Laff wan finish me for heregrin grin grin
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by passyhansome(m): 7:20am On Nov 17, 2016
koolcat:
KO GBE JOOR
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by edigne91: 7:28am On Nov 17, 2016
I'm really curious as to why
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by lightblazingnow(m): 7:29am On Nov 17, 2016
The instructions are, charge battery to full capacity and not endlessly charge. So monitor your phone cell to know when it is fully charged. Because it came half charge from the manufacturer

N.B the phone must be switched off against any distractions to the unused cell, to fully charge
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
The first charge usually is to ensure that the capacitive charge of the battery is realised in tandem with the voltage and resistance of the phone requirements. Like if you liked my explanation because honestly I don't know what I'm saying sef.
how could you do ds to me, u made me wake my little baby with loud laugh

1 Like

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:00am On Nov 17, 2016
Tbillz:
how true is it that, you need to charge new batteries or new phones for 10hrs or 15hrs before use else your cellphone battery is not going to last long?

The simple truth is;

These batteries are newly built.

In order to activate the cells in it, charging is required

And majority of such batteries, it is the final consumer that uses it first

1 Like

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Mariojane(f): 8:08am On Nov 17, 2016
illitrate:
Forget the hours, the important fact there is charge a new battery until is shows fully charged then you can use.
It is not advisable to leave your phone on charge when the battery is full as it kills the cells.

Do not allow anyone to tell you how many hours you have to charge, your new battery could be eliminated, annihilated

lols. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by mytym1: 8:16am On Nov 17, 2016
Hours ke? Just charge ur phone battery to 100% then remove it from light, that's all.
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by angelroz: 8:27am On Nov 17, 2016
joey150:
Op that is a myth now, but was once valid when mobile phone batteries were made of alkaline. For lithium ion batteries now that law doesn't hold water anymore.

Besides basic reasoning should tell you that most phones would charge completely in at most 3hours, and your phone will clearly ask you to unplug. So where does the 8 or 14 hour charge go to

under the phone...... sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by enambobo(m): 8:28am On Nov 17, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
The first charge usually is to ensure that the full capacitive charge of the battery is realised in tandem with the voltage and resistance of the phone requirements. Like if you liked my explanation because honestly I don't know what I'm saying sef.
Dah guy u too much...lolz
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by EdDave(m): 8:35am On Nov 17, 2016
Tbillz:
how true is it that, you need to charge new batteries or new phones for 10hrs or 15hrs before use else your cellphone battery is not going to last long?
Emeka in gsm village said so. So we are just doing it biko. Before the fone will come and spoil. embarassed
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Dam5reey(m): 8:36am On Nov 17, 2016
If this thread was created in year 2001 , then i agree.. the days of 3310 has gone..

Technology has advanced now.. we are talking about quick charge 3.0. wireless charging and so on..
in 30 minutes of charge your phone is 83% already.. cool
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by lonelydora: 8:42am On Nov 17, 2016
illitrate:

The bolded is false. That's why it's called 'SMART' phone. Nothing happens to it even if you still leave on charge
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by usibengate(m): 8:46am On Nov 17, 2016
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by tosyne2much(m): 8:58am On Nov 17, 2016
It doesn't change anything whether you charge it for 500 hours before using it or not... That is the lie being told by omo Igbo just to deceive you from testing the fake battery you bought from them
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by mneedss(m): 9:25am On Nov 17, 2016
So after battery fully charge...what next?
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 17, 2016
lonelydora:

The bolded is false. That's why it's called 'SMART' phone. Nothing happens to it even if you still leave on charge

It is not all phones that are smart. How about archaic phones?

Smart phones know when they are full and disconnect from charger but archaic phones done.

1 Like

Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by Saule: 10:21am On Nov 17, 2016
Just came to sign in the attendance grin
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by amiskurie(m): 10:26am On Nov 17, 2016
sorextee:
Because the phone is half charged at the point of purchase..
Where is the sense here BRODA?
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by smashad(m): 10:28am On Nov 17, 2016
not nowadays,formally the type of batteries they use of which I have forgotten the name has smtin lik memory or so, u needed to charge it at first charge so as to enable it remember and fuction well but not now with this li-on batteries if u lik charge am the first time from now till tomao noting change except the percent % ..jst saying
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by zicol2015: 10:32am On Nov 17, 2016
They get charged fully from the factory, but who knows how long those batteries have sat on a shelf, then put in a box and sat on a shelf before that phone was sent to you. Charge it fully every night; Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined". don't let it drop to zero on a regular basis, but it is good to zero out every now and then; stay away from heat. "Batteries may last longer if not stored fully discharged. As the battery self-discharges over time, its voltage gradually reduces. When depleted below the low-voltage threshold of the protection circuit (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it will be disabled and cannot be further discharged further until recharged.[clarification needed] It is recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level"
Re: Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use? by supaslim(m): 12:10pm On Nov 17, 2016
My stage name is SUPASLIM, a NIGERIAN fast rising artiste....
Please LIKE my PAGE www.facebook.com/supaslimmusic .
Follow me on twitter: @supaslimmusic .
IG: @itzsupaslim .
U can get any of my songs via google by just searching: ((((supaslimmusic )))).
Thanks so much for the anticipated LOVE....

#PeppersoupIcon
#HalfGodHalfMusic

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Getting The Best Out Of Your Low End Android Phone -simple tips without Rooting / Lost But Found Iphone 6 In Enugu / Infinix Launches The Infinix S5 [see Details}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.