Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,374 members, 7,829,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] (1598 Views)

Top 18 Youngest Bloggers And Their Ages / How To Open A Clickbank Account For Free In Nigeria. (screenshots Included). / Things They Told Us That Is No Longer Applicable In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 17, 2016
A version of this article first appeared here: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/blog-topic-ideas-2017/. I put this up here for people who would pretend they don't see it and would copy someone's efforts without acknowledgement. Please follow the Golden Rule. Thanks!

2017 is a good year to start a blog. Among other things, people need information, entertainment, opinion and anything your blog has to offer. People say blogging is overrated because everyone now wants to have a blog. In my opinion, that's just crap and petty. Everybody in Nigeria could have a blog and all of them could make insane amounts of money. The question is: what area of need does your blog address? Are you good at it? And have you put in enough time and efforts to generate traffic to your blog?

The first factor that should influence the topic for your blog is your passion, of course. If you have an area you are very passionate about, then go ahead and run with that. I compiled this list on the off-chance you don’t have any particular interests and you are thinking of starting another news/celebrity/gossip blog. This list will guide you to make better choices.

The process of starting a new blog, customizing it for best results and generating traffic could seem very daunting for some people. If you need specialized help let me know. I’ll get you up and running in no time.

TOP 18 BLOG TOPIC IDEAS FOR 2017

1. POLITICS BLOG
The world political climate is rapidly changing with Brexit and a Donald Trump presidency among the most recent indicators. In Nigeria, we have our own political problems and people need every information from every perspective and angle they can get it. A politics blog makes sense especially in 2017. On Nairaland, the politics section gets more visits than every other section. Of course, you will need to understand politics and be able to make reasonable analysis of how things play out. Plus you will need the wisdom to separate facts from gossip, hogwash and conspiracy theory.

Sub Niches: Political analysis, Political humor, Political art/drawings/cartoon, News, etc

How you earn: Adsense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, affiliate marketing, political endorsements and sponsorship, etc

2. AGRICULTURE BLOG
There are many aspects of agriculture people need information on. I realized my articles on agriculture business ideas especially bean flour processing and production get more search engine traffic than other articles on this blog. Young people are realizing the need to get into agriculture and make something for themselves and they are hungry for information. This is where an agriculture focused blog could be very important.

If you are into agriculture, you could do a diary blog. Basically, you write posts on every activity you carry out on your farm including pictures and videos. Such hands-on and personal experience information is invaluable and will sell your blog more than any article ever could.

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, information ebook & videos, etc.

3. ENTREPRENEURSHIP, BUSINESS AND WEALTH CREATION BLOGS
Now more than ever, people need more ways to make money and overcome recession. No, there are not enough business blogs yet. You can bring a unique angle and share more useful ideas. You will make money.

Sub Niches: Business startups, entrepreneur interviews and profile, investment, personal finance, startup finance, stocks and trades, business proposals, business ideas, online business, Imports and exports, exchange rates, etc

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, information eBook & videos, etc.

4. HAPPENINGS AND EVENTS BLOGS
This speaks for itself. An event blog is always gold. Apart from events, you could also have a blog about what happens in your immediate environment. The bad thing about this niche is, it is very overcrowded. But then the good thing is, overcrowding is not your problem because you can bring your own unique angle and cover events from your immediate environment.

Useful tips: Because there are many popular blogs who cover this niche like LIB and BellaNaija, your ability to find a unique angle to your blog will play a very crucial role to your success. Also focus more on your local events instead of worrying what parties Mr. Aliko is hosting in Abuja. You will need to be on time – It doesn’t help if you post pictures of events from 2 weeks ago. You will rely heavily on social media traffic sources so your social media profile needs to be spot on.

5. LIFESTYLE BLOG
Lifestyle blogging basically entails writing about your everyday life, interests and opinions. It is popular because people like to read about other people. And it sells because your life is uniquely your life so you have nobody competing to write about yourself.

What you need: You will need the thick skin to stand criticism. When you present yourself to the online community expect them to talk about you, sometimes in not so flattering terms. Expect to have loads of fans too. You will need wisdom to handle the responsibilities that come with being a role model (if/when you get there).

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, etc.

6. HEALTH BLOG
Health niche is one of the most lucrative niches out there. The reason is people searching for health solutions have a critical pain point, and so accurate health information is always valuable. There are sub-niches in health you can get by with researched information but generally, I’d leave the health niche for health experts. You will be advising people about their health (mostly life and death situations), you don’t want to be doing that with stuff you just ‘researched’ (fancy word for copy and paste) over the internet.

7. TECH BLOG
Tech is for the tech-savvy. If you don’t know if you are tech-savvy, you are probably not. Best move on to the next item.

Sub Niches: Smartphones, gadgets, specific product brands (Samsung, LG, Tecno, Infinix, Apple, etc.), computers, android devices, Latest gadgets, Releases, internet tricks and tips, tech repairs sites, tech DIY blog, computers, Tvs, all the above, etc.

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, information eBook & videos, tutorials, etc.

8. DO IT YOURSELF (DIY) BLOG
Anything you know how to do, you can teach people how to do and make money. How to change your wristwatch battery, how to fix your kitchen sink, how to make wedding cakes, how to make cupcakes, the list is endless.

What you need: You will need to know how to do it and you will need to show people how to do it. SEO is a priority.

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, information eBook & videos, etc.

9. EDUCATION BLOG
Our education system is failing. If you are a teacher, academician or you believe you have something to offer to boost our education system, start a blog and do it.

Sub Niches: Schools guide, scholarships guide, school profiles, NYSC, subject tutorials, course aid, study abroad, course advisory, past questions and answers, educational loans and grants.

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, book reviews, information eBook & videos, tutorials, past questions and answers, etc.

10. FASHION BLOG
Fashion is ever-green. You will need to be passionate about fashion. You will also need to know the latest fashion trends, even create some yourself. If not, best move on. Best traffic source is social media.

Sub Niches: Men’s fashion, women’s fashion, kids’ fashion, latest fashion styles, Ankara fashion, Traditional outfits, bags, shoes, tips and tricks, DIYs, casual wears, tailor directories, wristwatches, jewelry, review blog, etc.

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, paid reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, magazine, etc.

11. RELATIONSHIPS BLOG
Again I’d leave this one for the expert because relationship issues are very emotional and highly volatile. If you believe you are a relationships expert then go ahead and start a relationships blog. Your words could heal a lot of hurting hearts and reduce some of the maddening rants we see on Facebook.

12. ENTERTAINMENT BLOG
Everything entertainment. You will need to be up to date. Of course it helps to know a celebrity or two.

13. JOBS & VACANCIES BLOG
A lot of people are looking for jobs. A lot of people have looked for jobs since I left high school. A jobs blog is always welcome and very helpful. Your ability to research and sniff out job vacancies is very crucial to your success. You will not make much if you just re-post everything on Jobberman – job seekers already know Jobberman. Get unique and genuine job postings. Encourage people who find jobs through your site to post a testimonial.

Sub Niches: Career guide, vacancy advertisements, mentoring, GMAT/SAT, scholarships, etc

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, information eBook & videos, Career counseling/guide, etc.

14. HUMOR/JOKES BLOG
You’ve seen some of these on social media, and they keep coming: Correct Bro, Sarcasm, Be Like Bro, Correct Bae, etc. People will pay you anything just to laugh. If they can laugh without paying (on your blog), then you are the next best thing. An alternative to starting a humor blog is to just start a Facebook page or YouTube Channel.

Sub niches: Comics, animation, Jokes, memes, skits (short videos), etc

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, you become a celebrity (like Emmanuella) and enjoy endorsements, acting roles, comedy stints etc. Bottom line: You become a celebrity.

15. NEWS BLOG
I’ll be honest with you, I think we have enough news blogs unless you can come up with original, genuine, relevant news content. If you can, then go for it. Your success – and failure – depends on how much you are able to generate traffic to your blog.
How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, endorsements & sponsorship, etc.

16. SPORTS BLOG
The most popular sports in Nigeria is football. Sports fans are very passionate so this is a lucrative, evergreen niche. You will need to be a passionate sports fan yourself. This is one the areas where passion is rewarded. Again social media is your best friend.

17. REVIEW BLOG
A review blog is just what it is. You help people make a decision about what they need to buy by telling them what your experience has been using the same product. You can review anything under the sun: products, companies, cosmetics, restaurants, hotels, movies, websites, etc.

Sub Niches: Anything you choose to review is a sub-niche. Movie review is a sub-niche. So is restaurants, destinations, books, hair products, etc. Simply focus on the area you are most passionate about. You will need to be very honest in your reviews else you will lose trust. If you lose trust, you lose traffic and that would be the end of your blog.

Here’s a tip: if you are getting paid to review a particular product, make sure your readers know but also tell them getting paid does not in any way affect your judgment of the product under review (and stay true to it).

How you earn: AdSense and other contextual ad programs, local advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, product reviews, company endorsements & sponsorship, etc.

18. FOOD BLOG
After a popular pastor warned men not to marry ladies who cannot cook, the number of ‘how to cook xyz soup’ searches has spiked in the last few months. A food blog is always evergreen because there are endless recipes and ways to do stuff in the kitchen. You will need to be passionate about cooking. You will also need to be inventive and willing to try new things. You then share what you tried and the result with your readers. You will be saving a lot of marriages .

A version of this article first appeared here: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/blog-topic-ideas-2017/
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 17, 2016
You can add yours or ask your questions. I don't get PMs so see my profile for contacts pls or visit my blog.

Cheers!
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by ashatoda: 6:34am On Nov 17, 2016
this a wonderful write up. I hope to start something next year
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2016
ashatoda:
this a wonderful write up. I hope to start something next year

That's good. lemme know how it goes.

Thanks
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by maclatunji: 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
This is a nice guide for newbie bloggers.
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by generalbush(m): 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2016
What about Article blogs... where you post various articles for enlightenment.. or is it not possible??
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 5:57am On Nov 18, 2016
generalbush:
What about Article blogs... where you post various articles for enlightenment.. or is it not possible??

It is possible. Although I must tell you, focus is very important for blogging success. It's better to focus your articles on a particular niche so that your readers are not confused on what your blog is actually about. A rolling stone...You know the saying.

If you think you can manage the diversity though, by all means do it.

Good luck.
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by generalbush(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
delivite:

It is possible. Although I must tell you, focus is very important for blogging success. It's better to focus your articles on a particular niche so that your readers are not confused on what your blog is actually about. A rolling stone...You know the saying.

If you think you can manage the diversity though, by all means do it.

Good luck.

But most blogs are multi niches.

politics, Entertainment, celebrity and romance. you think it is not cool??
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 18, 2016
generalbush:

But most blogs are multi niches.

politics, Entertainment, celebrity and romance. you think it is not cool??

You don't want to have another multi-niche blog, trust me. You'll be having a difficult time generating content for one niche. How are you going to handle, say, 4? Unless you plan to syndicate articles and news clips or hire people to do the writing which would cost you, or have a forum like nairaland where users themselves post the content... In the end, you will be trying to dominate a very difficult sphere, battling with the likes of Linda, Seun and Naij. to syndicate means to copy and paste articles from other websites on your own.

I'm not saying it's not possible or it's not cool. I'm saying I wouldn't do it. I'd rather be known focus on one thing I'm good at and dominate that niche than to try and do everything and in the end not do anything at all. My opinion though.
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by generalbush(m): 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2016
delivite:

You don't want to have another multi-niche blog, trust me. You'll be having a difficult time generating content for one niche. How are you going to handle, say, 4? Unless you plan to syndicate articles and news clips or hire people to do the writing which would cost you, or have a forum like nairaland where users themselves post the content... In the end, you will be trying to dominate a very difficult sphere, battling with the likes of Linda, Seun and Naij. to syndicate means to copy and paste articles from other websites on your own.

I'm not saying it's not possible or it's not cool. I'm saying I wouldn't do it. I'd rather be known focus on one thing I'm good at and dominate that niche than to try and do everything and in the end not do anything at all. My opinion though.

God bless Sir.

What if I do let's say...

Romance and wealth generation

The ones I am so good at. is it a nice idea??

Thanks for your timely reply.
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 20, 2016
generalbush:

God bless Sir.

What if I do let's say...

Romance and wealth generation

The ones I am so good at. is it a nice idea??

Thanks for your timely reply.

With blogging, you are always going to make money. I'd focus on either romance or wealth generation. Any of these is enough to make you money. My candid advise is to go with a sub-niche in any of those.
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 21, 2016
maclatunji:
This is a nice guide for newbie bloggers.

True. Thanks
Re: Top 18 Blog Topic Ideas For Beginner Bloggers In 2017 [sub-niches Included] by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
delivite:

With blogging, you are always going to make money. I'd focus on either romance or wealth generation. Any of these is enough to make you money. My candid advise is to go with a sub-niche in any of those.

(1) (Reply)

What To Know Before Buying That Solar Panel / What Kind Of Business Can I Start With 5 Million Naira ? / Cooking Gas Price Reduced Massively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.