Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:19 AM

Can't See My Desktop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can't See My Desktop (3032 Views)

My Desktop / Pls How Do I Use My Nokia E63 As A Modern For My Desktop Cmp / I Could Not Delete A Particular Winrar Zip File On My Desktop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 10:20am On Nov 04, 2009
Hello NLders,

I shut down my laptop yesterday and by this morning, after booting it on, i couldn't see my desktop. It boots normally, but when it gets to my desktop, all i see is my wallpaper and nothing else. Is there anything i can do?

Thanks. . .
Re: Can't See My Desktop by scantee(m): 12:12pm On Nov 04, 2009
my man, there is posssibility that all your desktop icon is hiden, just try this right click on desktop __________ arrange icon by _______________click on show desktop icon i believe if is hiden it must show all the icons.

if it dose not work hola back here.

i wish u best
Re: Can't See My Desktop by mavenbox: 12:32pm On Nov 04, 2009
Try what Scantee said above. If it doesn't work, then maybe your windows explorer has stopped running. follow the below instructions:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, start the Task Manager and under the Applications tab, click "New Task" and type explorer there. Click OK.
Re: Can't See My Desktop by scantee(m): 12:42pm On Nov 04, 2009
mavenbox:

Try what Scantee said above. If it doesn't work, then maybe your windows explorer has stopped running. follow the below instructions:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, start the Task Manager and under the Applications tab, click "New Task" and type explorer there. Click OK.

yee man how things
Re: Can't See My Desktop by mavenbox: 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2009
@Scantee: Good, man, very good. Have a superb day!
Re: Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 2:00pm On Nov 04, 2009
scantee:

my man, there is posssibility that all your desktop icon is hiden, just try this right click on desktop __________ arrange icon by _______________click on show desktop icon i believe if is hiden it must show all the icons.

if it dose not work hola back here.

i wish u best

Thanks man. I thought as much that the icons are hidden, then i right-clicked. Nothing happened. I even did what mavenbox said too but i didn't click on new task and typed explorer. I'll try that. Stay with me. . . grin
Re: Can't See My Desktop by scantee(m): 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2009
@OP
do you know how to do system restore,
try to restore your system to earier date that is the date before the incident i hope it works, but if you dont know how to do that just hola back i will give you procedure to do that

stay cool
Re: Can't See My Desktop by mavenbox: 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2009
Is your taskbar / start buttom showing or its missing too?
Re: Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2009
scantee:

@OP
do you know how to do system restore,
try to restore your system to earier date that is the date before the incident i hope it works, but if you dont know how to do that just hola back i will give you procedure to do that

stay cool

I tried what mavenbox said but explorer did not pop up. Only programs on the Accessories menu that popped up. I don't know how to do a system restore. What do i do?

mavenbox:

Is your taskbar / start buttom showing or its missing too?

Nothing is showing at all. I even tried using the Windows key to bring the Start Menu up, but no response.
Re: Can't See My Desktop by mavenbox: 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

I tried what mavenbox said but explorer did not pop up. Only programs on the Accessories menu that popped up. I don't know how to do a system restore. What do i do?

Nothing is showing at all. I even tried using the Windows key to bring the Start Menu up, but no response.

I never said it will POP UP. I said, TYPE explorer into the form and click OK. Thats what you need to do
Re: Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 3:09pm On Nov 04, 2009
mavenbox:

I never said it will POP UP. I said, TYPE explorer into the form and click OK. Thats what you need to do

I never said you did. I did what you said, but nothing happened. That's what i meant. U must realize that am not a complete novice when it comes to computers. I can find my way around if shown the right directions grin
Re: Can't See My Desktop by scantee(m): 3:29pm On Nov 04, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

ok folow the insttruction below
you have to restore your computer to an earier date that you computer has a system check point, this process takes your computer to an earier mode when the computer is still working normal, all you need to do is just to select a date which can be January 2009 or even last year date as far as you normaly set your computer date and time.

Disadavantages
1, Any programm you install after the date you choose will be removed. but all your files will be intact.

2, Any update you made before the date will be removed.

3, Any hardware driver you installed will be removed.

Advantages

1, Any virus which affects your system after the date you choosed will be removed

2, All the work you did with the computer will not be removed

3, Your computer will start work perfect again.

Procedure to restore the computer step 1

1, Close all running program.

2, Click start --------------- All Programe -------------Accessories

3, Select System Tools ------------------ Select System Restore

step 2

1, The computer will show you a dialog box "Titled Welcome to System restore"

2, Select Restore my computer to an earier time.

3, Click next

4, it will show you another window titled select a restore point.

Note: any date that is (Bold) is a system check point which shows that your computer can be restore to the selected date, also note that activites perform with computer in any date you selcted will display at the right side of the window.

You can be clicking the back of the spiner arrow on top to go back to past months or year,

i will advice you at least to restore it to five month past that is January if possible. Select January and choose a date in the month of January.

5, Click next to continue.

6, Your computer will start shuting down, it will be showing you a retsoring Bar, Please dont turn it off allow it to restore after that it will retart itself.

7, After restarting it will show you another window that your computer has been successfully restored, click ok to finalise it.

Note After restoring if the computer continue having the problem, you re-restore it aging by choosing another older date, but if at the end all at no avail the next recoremendations goes below.

i wish the best
Re: Can't See My Desktop by mavenbox: 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2009
Sorry for the misunderstanding. smiley Okay restart and try to boot into safe mode (press F8) and see if the symptoms persist
Re: Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 3:38pm On Nov 04, 2009
No probs man. Will do that. . .
Re: Can't See My Desktop by scantee(m): 6:15pm On Nov 04, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

ok follow the instruction below.

you have to restore your computer to an earier date that you computer has a system check point, this process takes your computer to an earier mode when the computer is still working normal, all you need to do is just to select a date which can be January 2009 or even last year date as far as you normaly set your computer date and time.

Disadavantages
1, Any programm you install after the date you choose will be removed. but all your files will be intact.

2, Any update you made before the date will be removed.

3, Any hardware driver you installed will be removed.

Advantages
1, Any virus which affects your system after the date you choosed will be removed

2, All the work you did with the computer will not be removed

3, Your computer will start work perfect again.

Procedure to restore the computer step 1

1, Close all running program.
2, Click start --------------- All Programe -------------Accessories
3, Select System Tools ------------------ Select System Restore
step 2
1, The computer will show you a dialog box "Titled Welcome to System restore"
2, Select Restore my computer to an earier time.
3, Click next
4, it will show you another window titled select a restore point.

Note: any date that is (Bold) is a system check point which shows that your computer can be restore to the selected date, also note that activites perform with computer in any date you selcted will display at the right side of the window.

You can be clicking the back of the spiner arrow on top to go back to past months or year,
i will advice you at least to restore it to two days past
5, Click next to continue.
6, Your computer will start shuting down, it will be showing you a retsoring Bar, Please dont turn it off allow it to restore after that it will retart itself.

7, After restarting it will show you another window that your computer has been successfully restored, click ok to finalise it.

Note After restoring if the computer continue having the problem, you re-restore it aging by choosing another older date, but if at the end all at no avail the next recoremendations goes below.
Re: Can't See My Desktop by deji2009(m): 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2009
Dr. Lorenz (m)
Nigeria

Can't See My Desktop
« on: Yesterday at 10:20:25 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello NLders,

I shut down my laptop yesterday and by this morning, after booting it on, i couldn't see my desktop. It boots normally, but when it gets to my desktop, all i see is my wallpaper and nothing else. Is there anything i can do?

Thanks. . .

I'm guessing you have Norton installed. having said that turn off your laptop please

back on and keep pressing F8 until you see a black screen with advance option

use your arrow key to highlight safe mode and press enter

dont be alarm ! your icons screen will be big just thought i mention that.lol

when in safe can you see your icons this what we need to know if you

cant see in safe mode then follow my colleague advice @Scantee

try this whilst in safe mode or as simple as look for the programme

you like to add back to your desktop by right cliking and

add to desktop or send to desktop. Good luck however
Re: Can't See My Desktop by abariko1(m): 5:48pm On Nov 22, 2009
Bring out your Task Manager by pressing ctrl+alt+ del and go below to new task and on it type in desktop and click ok, Check if that doesnt work then holla us back.
Re: Can't See My Desktop by cruworld(m): 9:00am On Nov 25, 2009
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, select file, New Task and Paste C:\WINDOWS select the Explorer with Monitor Icon,
Re: Can't See My Desktop by etaurus(m): 5:05pm On Nov 25, 2009
OR
Bring out the task manager, new task, type. (dot) and press enter.
Re: Can't See My Desktop by DrLorenz1(m): 11:55am On Dec 03, 2009
Thanks y'all. I've finally done it. U guys were great. grin
Re: Can't See My Desktop by yahoo2(m): 1:09pm On Dec 03, 2009
Great people, great forum!
Re: Can't See My Desktop by PCbusayo(f): 2:00pm On Dec 03, 2009
cool

(1) (Reply)

How To Use The Mtn Bonus Airtime (confirmed!!!) / SMILE 4G MIFI FOR SALE@ GIVEAWAY PRICE / Window 7 Build 7601 This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine...help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.