Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,336 members, 7,954,377 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:50 PM

Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature (1172 Views)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident / What Do You Do If Your Car Has No Custom Papers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by TRYGO(m): 8:23pm On Nov 17, 2016
INTRODUCTION
If for instance, a survey is conducted on major roads of cities across some developing countries like, Nigeria, it would behoove you to realise that almost more than half of them, have got NO SRS(supplement restraint system).

What some of us would refer to as "airbag".
In reality, there's nothing like an airbag. What most people know as " airbags" are called SRSs.
What we have is a nylon made bag, filled up with NITROGEN gas, during deployment.
So, if the other vehicles, for instance like the "danfos, articulated trucks and trailers of the colonial era", still ply those roads, what do you think would be the ripple effects of such a safety dysfunction(absence airbags), considering these vehicles are often seen in populated neighborhoods?

Definitely their would be more accidents, deaths, and deprivations of all kinds.
Even the existing vehicles are not totally protected from the risks vehicles without a SRS incur.

It is in regard to this, that auto car makers, seek to daily improve on their onboard safety features such as seat belts, driver side, and passenger side " airbags ".
Today, companies such as GM, Toyota, are in the forefront of incorporating SRS on occupants at the rear whose got no SRSs and/or seat belts.

WHAT THEN IS AN AIRBAG(SUPPLEMENT RESTRAINT SYSTEM)?

A simple definition would be a system, that is deployed, within a twinkling of an eye, to safeguard occupants of a vehicle during collisions(accidents).
Looking at the pictures below, some of you might be tempted to think the white apron displayed on these vehicles are inflated balloons. You are right to some extent.
But in reality, they're not " gallons". They're nylon made apron, inflated with nitrogen gas, to protect the driver after(before) an accident.

¶¶¶¶¶SRA system are meant to be deployed, only when they're used in conjunction with the seat belts. ¶¶¶¶¶¶
Ensure seat belts are used when you drive.

SYSTEM OF OPERATION
The operations of the SRS are in stages.
If you're familiar with how sensors work, and how their actions are translated, you'll be amazes how technology has made our lives more comfortable.
That same principle applies here.

[[[[[Those in the military establishment would better understand these stages. Especially those in the missiles section, and artillery brigades.]]]]]]

They're as follows:
1. Sensing. Just like you have maximum and minimum thermometers installed at various locations by meteorologist, to capture temperature data, the same thing happens with the sensing mechanism of an "airbag" system. It detects the collision, and relays the message back to the car's ECU (engine control unit) for evaluation.

¶¶¶¶¶¶

****Ensure your cars airbag systems are functional.
HOW DO YOU KNOW A FUNCTIONAL SRS?

**On the ignition to ON, check that all the dashboard lights come on.
**Start the engine. Check that all lights on the dash goes OFF.
This is the KILLER.
If you discover that the "airbag " (SRS) continuous to lit, that tells you the airbag is defective, and in an accident, won't deploy.
¶¶¶¶¶¶

2. Evaluation stage. At this point, the data collected from the sensor diagnostic module(SDM), is processed by the ECU, to determine when it's right for the deployment activation and deployment of the SRS system.
The cars ECU, makes this decisions within split of a seconds, in the range of milliseconds (20-30miliseconds), even faster than your eyes can blink.
Such data are compared again a reference value, before activation is sought.

3. ACTIVATION STAGE. At this point, the ECU has already compared received data with the reference one, and have decided to engage the "missile", to strike the enemy (collisions).
The nylon made apron is inflated with NITROGEN gas, and ready for DEPLOYMENT.

4. DEPLOYMENT STAGE. In collisions, during an accident, the occupants of a car tend to move forward in a split second towards the dashboard area, increasing the risks of injuries and/or death, during an impact.
At this stage, the airbag has gathered all necessary data for deployment, such as the passenger/driver body movements.
Such deployments of this safety system, I. conjunction with the body movements of the occupants of the vehicle, counteracts the collisional impacts from the accident.

The picture below of the deployed airbag seen on these cars saves the lives of the drivers in the cars.
Imagine if those cars has got no SRS on them. What would have happened to those people?

PS: The next time you go buy a car somewhere, run the SRS system test before buying that car.
You might be saving yourself, and even lives.
Ensure the SRS lights aren't lit on the dashboard more than some seconds.
If the SRS/airbag lights lit, you either repair or replace components associated with the defect.
In some cases, I have discovered auto makers like Toyota, advice customers to replace an entire system, if there's a defect in the SRS system.

NB: Pictures were taken by me of real live events.

¶¶¶¶TRICKS SOME CAR DEALERS EMPLOY ¶¶¶¶
THE BLACK ELECTRICIANS TAPE thing
Check this out: IF THE IGNITION IS ON, AND ALL LIGHTS CAME ON, WITHOUT THE SRS/AIRBAG LIGHTS COMING ON FOR SOME SECONDS, SUSPECT THE SRS/AIRBAG LIGHT HAS BEING COVERED WITH ELECTRICIAN'S TAPE.

CONCLUSION
Driving a car without this safety feature, should be a major concern to you.
Its worth it, paying more for safety, than paying for the consequences thereafter.

¶¶¶ STAY SAFE, DRIVE SAFE, AND THINK SAFE!¶¶

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Joseph

Email: oigonojoseph@yahoo.com
Facebook:
www.facebook.com/dexterwise-dw nig ltd
www.dxta.net.ng
08066643532(call+WhatsApp)

Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by Whizpeter(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
TRYGO:
¶¶¶¶¶SRA system are meant to be deployed, only when they're used in conjunction with the seat belts. ¶¶¶¶¶¶
Ensure seat belts are used when you drive.

Could this be the reason why the Airbag of that Minister's [Ocholi] car didn't deploy... It's obvious they didn't use seat belts on that day and hence they were flung out of the Lexus SUV
Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by TRYGO(m): 5:14am On Nov 19, 2016
@whizpeter. I won't know if the reason for their deaths was as a result of non use the seat belt. I'm not privy to such info right now.
But to put the records straight, without seat belts, the SRS would never deploy. Its kind of similar to a closed circuit system.
If for instance, you've got fluids flowing in a closed system, and there is a leak along the circuit, low output pressure and malfunctions would be the outcome(system dysfunction).

Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by Inception(m): 3:38pm On Nov 19, 2016
TRYGO:
@whizpeter. I won't know if the reason for their deaths was as a result of non use the seat belt. I'm not privy yo such info right now.
But to put the records straight, with seat belts, the SRS would never deploy. Its kind of similar to a closed circuit system. If for instance you've got fluids flowing in a closed system, and there is a leak along the circuit, low output pressure and malfunctions would be the outcome.

Wrong bro.

Airbags(in a system that has not been tampered with) will function with or without the the use of safety seat belts. In fact airbags could kill if an occupant is too close to it (in the venture of a crash) due to the fact that it explodes out of its storage compartment in fractions of a second ( far less than the time it takes you to blink.) This is why most modern cars today have weight sensors in the front passenger seats to detect whether or not children (or baby seats) are placed on such seats, because it requires that an occupant to be optimally seated in position for the airbags to be effective( which is not possible for children under six years in most cases).

The SRS is a system that comprises a crash sensor(located at the front of the vehicle and/ or the side), the airbag module(airbag brain box) and the airbags themselves.in the event of a crash, the crash sensors would send signals to the airbag module, which in turn would fire up a device that contains chemicals(cant remember them now) which explodes and generates gas that quickly fills up the airbag. this causes the airbag to blow out of their storage compartment and in-turn cushion the occupants from hitting hard components in the car. This mode of operation is not dependent on whether the occupant is wearing seat-belts or not. Some advanced air bag systems are designed not to deploy fully in case the crash is one that is not too serious.

SRS stands for Supplementary Restraint System. Meaning that it is there to supplement the seat belts by drastically reducing the acceleration of the occupants in the events of a crash and protect them from hitting sharp objects in the car . In-fact this system is also linked with the front seat belts via the implementation of seat belt pretensioners that tensions the seat belts so that the occupants are held snugly into their seats.

2 Likes

Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by TRYGO(m): 11:08pm On Nov 19, 2016
@inception. You mean everything in the article is wrong, or some sections?
The information provided in this article, weren't just cooked up from my head.
You said airbags could deploy, even with or without the use of seat belts.
Check out this article. Its part of the reference I used. Maybe it would convince you somewhat.

http://www.takata.com/en/around/airbag01.html

Keep them coming though.
I'm here to learn too!
Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by macsilver(m): 11:47am On Nov 20, 2016
OP thanks for this information. God bless you. I however have a question... the light under the speedometer in one of your pictures is always on. When I start my car. Is that ok?
(I mean an orange light showing the driver sitting and an airbag on his face.) I am Confused.
Re: Check If Your Car Has This Safety Feature by TRYGO(m): 4:36pm On Nov 20, 2016
@macsilver. That SRS airbag light ON, was for a Camry '98. For this car, the light indicates a malfunction with the SRS system. Its supposed to be OFF, when the ignition is on for some seconds, or when driving. If your cars SRS system is inactive, the light would be on. You need to have it scanned, and fixed.

Hope that answers your ??.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

We Buy Used And Faulty Mercedes Benz / My Car For Hire / Buying Cheap Neat Cars From Togo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.