Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident (19374 Views)

How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? / Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by obafemee80(m): 3:47am On Aug 20, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/2408/mvvJfH.jpg[/img]

Buying a secondhand car is a tricky proposition.It can be risky as you may not know its history.
Before you buy,check out the following list of warning signs to determine whether a car has already been in an accident or a rebuilt wreck.

1)Paint that chips off or doesn't match indicates damage repair and poor blending.

2)Paint overspray on chrome,trim or rubber seals around body openings reveals that the adjacent panel was repaired.

3)Misaligned fenders suggest a poor repair job or use of nonoriginal equipment manufacturer (non-OEM)parts.

4)Uneven tread wear reveals wheel misalignment,possibly because of frame damage.

5)Mold or air freshener cover-up suggests water damage from a leak or flood.Silt in trunk may mean flood damage.

6)Fresh undercoating on wheel wells,chassis,or engine strongly suggests recent structural repairs covered up.

7)Door that doesn't close correctly could point to a door-frame deformation and poor repair.

8 )Bonnet or boot that doesn't close squarely may indicate twisting from side impact.

9)Dashboard lights,power windows,and other electronics with intermittent problems could be a sign of flood damage.

10)Dashboard air-bag indicator that doesn't light up could mean the air bag was replaced improperly or wasn't replaced at all after an accident.

11)Big dents,crunched fuel lines and pipes underneath are the easiest problems to find because rebuilders assume you won't be looking there.

12)Uneven surfaces on frame components could be filler,seam sealer or welding beads.

13)Damaged/gouged nuts and metal on top surface of strut tower(which connects the front wheels to the frame)in engine compartment may mean the frame was realigned.

14)New metal on only one part of the bonnet apron shows section repair rather than replacement of the entire apron piece.

15)Welding bead anywhere on heavy frame members underneath the engine suggests frame-rail sectioning or sloppy repair of a cutout made in the rail to perform repair work.

16)Inconsistent welds around bonnet apron,door, door frame,or boot exemplify a non-factory weld.

17)Frayed safety belts or belt fibers that have melted together because of friction indicate a previous frontal impact above 15 mph.

18)Missing car emblem or name on trunk may mean a non-OEM part was used.

When shopping for a used car,the best protection is to have an independent mechanic look over the vehicle before buying. A mechanic will have the experience and tools to best assess a car's true condition. Typically,a mechanic will charge a modest fee for the service,but the protection is well worth the investment.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/05/warning-signs-that-a-used-car-is-a-rebuilt-wreck/index.htm
https://autojosh.com/warning-signs-that-a-used-car-has-been-in-an-accident/

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by timifakay(m): 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2017
Spot on points.
Please add:
Missing plastic covers in engine bay and rough looking front sub assembly, misaligned headlamps, leaking AC system- if the vehicle was involved in front impact and condenser or pipes were replaced, it can lead to leaks if not properly done...
The list is endless because Nigerian dealers are evolving.

10 Likes

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 20, 2017
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5488372_accidentedcar_jpeg2cb0e50f02cc6ac0da9748b0c77cde03

Where is this particular accidented car? I want to know.
I couldn't sleep well the first day I saw this picture. Where is the car? Did the occupants make it out alive? cry

5 Likes

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
PaperLace:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5488372_accidentedcar_jpeg2cb0e50f02cc6ac0da9748b0c77cde03

I couldn't sleep well the first day I saw this picture. Where is the car? Did the occupants make it out alive? cry
i doubt that
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 20, 2017
PaperLace:

I doubt that this was a real life accident.

I can't see any airbags deployed.

Sometimes manufacturers do tests.

2 Likes

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 3:08am On Aug 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I doubt that this was a real life accident.

I can't see any airbags deployed.

Sometimes manufacturers do tests.

I hope so. That picture makes me shiver.
Isn't it possible the airbags were faulty or absent?

dancok:
i doubt that

Miracles do happen embarassed.
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 3:39am On Aug 21, 2017
PaperLace:

I hope so. That picture makes me shiver.
Isn't it possible the airbags were faulty or absent?

Miracles do happen embarassed.

That is a newer model and chances of the airbags, of which there's multitude, were faulty is small.
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Aldebaran(m): 3:57am On Aug 26, 2017
Thanks.Nice tips...

1 Like

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 26, 2017
OK.... For those that get car grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 26, 2017
My accidented car still dey fire on.2 year no issue.
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Trustme2(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
Whatever, most Nigerian tokunbo cars are either accidented or flooded cars. So there's nothing we can do about that. Clean title cars are much more expensive though. Work within your budget and exercise due diligence when buying a car. That's all
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Codes151(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
This one still reach fp? With a summary that if u wan buy used car u gats go check at out with your mechanic!

Before nko wetin people dey do?
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by lonelydora: 8:46am On Aug 26, 2017
As long as the chassis and dashboard is not affected, I can buy it as long as the accident is from the back and the car is from America.

1 Like

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by shegzan(m): 8:46am On Aug 26, 2017
thanks for the tips!
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by miqos02(m): 8:53am On Aug 26, 2017
yeah
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by uvalued(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2017
obafemee80:
[img]http:///a/img922/2408/mvvJfH.jpg[/img]

Buying a secondhand car is a tricky proposition.It can be risky as you may not know its history.
Before you buy,check out the following list of warning signs to determine whether a car has already been in an accident or a rebuilt wreck.

1)Paint that chips off or doesn't match indicates damage repair and poor blending.

2)Paint overspray on chrome,trim or rubber seals around body openings reveals that the adjacent panel was repaired.

3)Misaligned fenders suggest a poor repair job or use of nonoriginal equipment manufacturer (non-OEM)parts.

4)Uneven tread wear reveals wheel misalignment,possibly because of frame damage.

5)Mold or air freshener cover-up suggests water damage from a leak or flood.Silt in trunk may mean flood damage.

6)Fresh undercoating on wheel wells,chassis,or engine strongly suggests recent structural repairs covered up.

7)Door that doesn't close correctly could point to a door-frame deformation and poor repair.

8 )Bonnet or boot that doesn't close squarely may indicate twisting from side impact.

9)Dashboard lights,power windows,and other electronics with intermittent problems could be a sign of flood damage.

10)Dashboard air-bag indicator that doesn't light up could mean the air bag was replaced improperly or wasn't replaced at all after an accident.

11)Big dents,crunched fuel lines and pipes underneath are the easiest problems to find because rebuilders assume you won't be looking there.

12)Uneven surfaces on frame components could be filler,seam sealer or welding beads.

13)Damaged/gouged nuts and metal on top surface of strut tower(which connects the front wheels to the frame)in engine compartment may mean the frame was realigned.

14)New metal on only one part of the bonnet apron shows section repair rather than replacement of the entire apron piece.

15)Welding bead anywhere on heavy frame members underneath the engine suggests frame-rail sectioning or sloppy repair of a cutout made in the rail to perform repair work.

16)Inconsistent welds around bonnet apron,door, door frame,or boot exemplify a non-factory weld.

17)Frayed safety belts or belt fibers that have melted together because of friction indicate a previous frontal impact above 15 mph.

18)Missing car emblem or name on trunk may mean a non-OEM part was used.

When shopping for a used car,the best protection is to have an independent mechanic look over the vehicle before buying. A mechanic will have the experience and tools to best assess a car's true condition. Typically,a mechanic will charge a modest fee for the service,but the protection is well worth the investment.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/05/warning-signs-that-a-used-car-is-a-rebuilt-wreck/index.htm

quote this for my car education

1 Like

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 26, 2017
Good engine is the koko.. Regardless
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by kenx1(m): 9:40am On Aug 26, 2017
Carry out a VIN CHECK

1 Like

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by thegame(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2017
burticious:
Good engine is the koko.. Regardless
Uncle kazeem, good engine is not the koko. What's the point of good engine if you do alignment every week or your car cannot go on a straight line?
Forget it, engine is the least of your worries when you are purchasing accidents cars. Thank me later sir

3 Likes

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by stalwart123(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2017
PaperLace:

The picture is not as you think it is. It's the camera angle that makes it look so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 26, 2017
Buoda Saka.. No vex
thegame:

Uncle kazeem, good engine is not the koko. What's the point of good engine if you do alignment every week or your car cannot go on a straight line?
Forget it, engine is the least of your worries when you are purchasing accidents cars. Thank me later sir
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by BrianIke(m): 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2017
How about you go check out the car with a mechanic you trust and save yourself all these wahala undecided
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by computerglobal(m): 9:35am On Aug 27, 2017
kenx1:
Carry out a VIN CHECK

computerglobal:
To carry out vin check

Sms vin to 08060365068

Whatsapp vin to +234-806-036-5068

BBM Pin :D8BA2588

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by OShepherd: 4:57pm On Jan 23, 2018
BrianIke:
How about you go check out the car with a mechanic you trust and save yourself all these wahala undecided
Finding a trusted mechanic is the issue as they are very scarce, as some of them parly with sellers and even get double share, they all have codes! Trust them at your own peril.

1 Like

Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by kanyenorth: 5:50am On Oct 29, 2019
Chima Arinze Automated Services Ltd
Phone: 0803 501 8807
Copart auction registered bidder in Lagos. I can help you buy an ship used cars from any where in the world.
Accident or brand new.
please feel free to contact me.
Re: Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident by computerglobal(m): 6:07am On Oct 29, 2019

(1) (Reply)

You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? / 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.