Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,149 members, 7,821,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos (5151 Views)

Most Expensive Buildings In The World / Share Your Experience Living In The Same Compound With The Landlord/Landlady / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by kayo80(m): 10:37am On Nov 19, 2016
After many years of hearing how life in Ibadan was cheap, I moved to Ibadan in June of this year. What I have observed is that, living in Ibadan is just as expensive as living in Lagos.

Food here is just as expensive, and even the things that are a bit cheaper don't add up when you think of the things like electronics and house equipment that are more expensive here than in Lagos.

When I was moving here, I priced a particular mattress at Mouka Foam in Lagos for N12,500. In Ibadan, it was N14,000. I thought food would be cheap here, but you go to bukas, and the food they sell is just as expensive as the ones sold in Lagos, and what is worse is, they have very poor customer service. Also, all the carpenters/plumbers want to reap you off...they always want to make the most from you, maybe cos thy don't get as much patronage.

I just bought a bottle of palm oil for N700 this morning. I had to call up my sister to ask her how much she buys hers in Lagos, and she said N500. I thought things were really cheap here, but I guessed wrong. I asked the real estate guy why things were expensive in Ibadan, and he said there has been a large influx of Lagosians to the city in the last 5 years. I believe him, cos when I check car plate numbers, like 5 out of 10 are Lagos plate numbers.

I won't say I regret moving here though, cos I love the fact that there is rarely traffic here. That's the one good thing I like about this place.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by yeyeboi(m): 10:38am On Nov 19, 2016
Yup

1 Like

Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by feodan: 10:52am On Nov 19, 2016
kayo80:
After many years of hearing how life in Ibadan was cheap, I moved to Ibadan in June of this year. What I have observed is that, living in Ibadan is just as expensive as living in Lagos.

Food here is just as expensive, and even the things that are a bit cheaper don't add up when you think of the things like electronics and house equipment that are more expensive here than in Lagos.

When I was moving here, I priced a particular mattress at Mouka Foam in Lagos for N12,500. In Ibadan, it was N14,000. I thought food would be cheap here, but you go to bukas, and the food they sell is just as expensive as the ones sold in Lagos, and what is worse is, they have very poor customer service. Also, all the carpenters/plumbers want to reap you off...they always want to make the most from you, maybe cos thy don't get as much patronage.

I just bought a bottle of palm oil for N700 this morning. I had to call up my sister to ask her how much she buys hers in Lagos, and she said N500. I thought things were really cheap here, but I guessed wrong. I asked the real estate guy why things were expensive in Ibadan, and he said there has been a large influx of Lagosians to the city in the last 5 years. I believe him, cos when I check car plate numbers, like 5 out of 10 are Lagos plate numbers.

I won't say I regret moving here though, cos I love the fact that there is rarely traffic here. That's the one good thing I like about this place.
Nna lie joor, Na reccesion . I am born in ib till now ......

2 Likes

Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by kayo80(m): 10:56am On Nov 19, 2016
feodan:
Nna lie joor, Na reccesion . I am born in ib till now ......

That's what I thought too, so I went to spend a week in Lagos last month, and I still stand on my word- life is just as expensive here like it is in Lagos. Tell me one thing that is cheap in Ibadan compared to Lagos?
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by feodan: 11:05am On Nov 19, 2016
kayo80:

That's what I thought too, so I went to spend a week in Lagos last month, and I still stand on my word- life is just as expensive here like it is in Lagos. Tell me one thing that is cheap in Ibadan compared to Lagos?
......... Tins are changing in dis reccesion period of a tin, Aos in ib is affordable
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by princetom1(m): 8:08am On Dec 04, 2016
Which area of Ibadan are u staying?

1 Like

Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by kayo80(m): 10:47am On Dec 04, 2016
princetom1:
Which area of Ibadan are u staying?

An area called Ajobo in Ojoo. It is not so popular.
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by princetom1(m): 12:29pm On Dec 04, 2016
kayo80:

An area called Ajobo in Ojoo. It is not so popular.

Am quite surprised u comparing that area to lagos o. Transport, food stuff is cheap in those area. I know that area, when am on Ibadan, yes, Bukas is same with lagos but Its probably bcoz u haven't explore Ibadan advantages, like buying fresh foods, transportation. If u eat from Bukas, u are loosing, though amala sky bank is superb, and they are trying at foodco, u should try and cook yourself. 1 thing am very sure of is, fresh good stuffs are readily available and cheap, house rent better than lagos, so is transportation, i normally take bike from samonda, to ojoo for 100 naira, that will be double in lagos, if its by cab, that's 50 naira, come try such in lagos, u know its just not same
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by kayo80(m): 1:56pm On Dec 04, 2016
princetom1:

Am quite surprised u comparing that area to lagos o. Transport, food stuff is cheap in those area. I know that area, when am on Ibadan, yes, Bukas is same with lagos but Its probably bcoz u haven't explore Ibadan advantages, like buying fresh foods, transportation. If u eat from Bukas, u are loosing, though amala sky bank is superb, and they are trying at foodco, u should try and cook yourself. 1 thing am very sure of is, fresh good stuffs are readily available and cheap, house rent better than lagos, so is transportation, i normally take bike from samonda, to ojoo for 100 naira, that will be double in lagos, if its by cab, that's 50 naira, come try such in lagos, u know its just not same

Well, some fresh food are not expensive, but I don't cook like that. The things I eat like Noodles, Beans, Spaghetti, etc are expensive. Yea, transportation is slightly cheaper here, but the other expensive things don't make that count. You said "Am quite surprised u comparing that area to lagos o. Transport, food stuff is cheap in those area. I know that area." You are speaking from past experience. I live here in 2016, and I am speaking on what I am currently experiencing. I moved to a remote area of Ibadan cos I expected things to be cheaper here, but they are not. Smoked fish is expensive, beans is expensive, palm oil is expensive, groundnut oil is expensive, etc...these are the things I use, and this is my experience. I hate when people say things are cheap here just cos everyone is saying it or cos they haven't lived in other parts of he country before. I just moved here in June from Lagos, and when I say things are as expensive here as they are in Lagos, I know what I am saying...Once again, I am the one living here, not you.
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by kayo80(m): 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2016
princetom1:

Their cab is equivalent of bus in Lagos, not equivalent of cab in lagos. They still sop here and there to pick passengers. And the Micra is very fuel economical, that is why it is used by transporters in Ibadan. And the distance from Samonda to Ojoo is like from Egbeda to Idimu (in Lagos), which is also N50. So, I don't know what the big deal is. Cab from Ojoo to Dugbe is N120...that distance is not more than the distance from Egbeda to Oshodi, which is N150. There is usually little to no traffic in Ibadan, but there is sure to be traffic anywhere you go in Lagos, and the transport costs of the two cities still match. So, as I said...the difference is not as much as people make it out to be. To people reading this, don't be deceived...life ain't cheap here. If you round everything up, cost of living here is just as expensive as it is in Lagos. Period!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by santori: 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2016
I need a temporary accommodation in ibadan. Please can anybody help me. I need it so urgently
Re: Living In Ibadan Is Just As Expensive As Living In Lagos by Homeyfav: 6:33am On May 07, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Seal the holes by your HVAC, Windows & door frames with Expansion PU Foam Spray. / Short-term Investment. Get Roi In 180 Days...... CLOSED / We Buy and Sale Diesel Generator of all Capacities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.