Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! (6696 Views)

Tennis: Australian Open 2012 / Tennis: Australian Open 2011 / Australian Open 2009 - Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 3:50pm On Jan 22, 2007
Finally, Nadal beat Murray 6/7  6/4  4/6  6/3  6/1. The marathon did the trick. He meets Gonzalez in the quarterfinal.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2007
Nadal wins the match 7-6 4-6 6-4 3-6,6-1.His MO worked shocked,4hrs of tennis
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2007
toptho:

Nadal wins the match 7-6 4-6 6-4 3-6,6-1.His MO worked shocked,4hrs of tennis

MO?
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2007
Modus operandi-mode of operation grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2007
Vamossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by roflmao: 8:25pm On Jan 22, 2007
It appears "Hot-pants" Nadal may well be the one appearing on breakfast menu for Federer on Sunday. Afterall he's been fortunate his "co-owners", James Blake and Tomas Berdych that is, have somehow both been disposed of. grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 8:59am On Jan 23, 2007
Roddick has booked his place in the semi finals after crushing Fish 6/2 6/2 6/2 . He will play the winner between Roger Federer or Tommy Robredo.

Serena also continues her unbelievable run to the semis after scraping past Peer. Her next opponent is Vaidisova, who also beat fellow countrywoman Safarova.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 9:47am On Jan 23, 2007
Blake's loss yesterday totally ruined my day. I did not know how much I had invested in the guy until he lost, but he'll be back. Mark my words. Serena almost did the same thing early this morning. I was rushing to go to work ( VI) and I was still stuck in front of the tv . Thank God she won.

I feel Roddick has a good chance of winning this tournament.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 10:18am On Jan 23, 2007
Ade, you seem to be a fan of the americans.

The match between Federer and Robredo is on. Both players are struggling with their serves; we've had 4 breaks already in the first set and it's just 4 - 3.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2007
Federer is through, beating Tommy Robredo 6-3,7-6,7-5.Yippee!!Robredo tried,he played well,Standing ovation for Federer,sent goose pimples down my body smiley
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 12:10pm On Jan 23, 2007
Damn, I wanted to post the result first. grin

Federer is really in form. I hope he gets the Title. cool
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 12:15pm On Jan 23, 2007
@ope-emi,lol!
I hope he does too and the thing is i know he can still step up a gear when needed.Nadal had better not be a party-pooper
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 12:27pm On Jan 23, 2007
toptho:

Nadal had better not be a party-pooper

As long as the court is neither Hard or Clay, he(Federer) ought to win. cheesy
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 12:33pm On Jan 23, 2007
PDF, just seems like that. I like Gonzalez too. And Hingis, Acasuso and a few others. But after the way, Federer beat Blake in the finals of the season ending masters series last year, i just feel it's time for him to be on the receiving end too. And it's going to happen. He's still the best so far, but he's human and the others are fast catching up.

He's going to lose more games this year than last year but if he happens to play Nadal, then definitely I'll be supporting Federer all the way.

By the way, I don't want sharapova to win the ladies either.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 12:54pm On Jan 23, 2007
prof ade:

PDF, just seems like that. I like Gonzalez too. And Hingis, Acasuso and a few others. But after the way, Federer beat Blake in the finals of the season ending masters series last year, i just feel it's time for him to be on the receiving end too. And it's going to happen. He's still the best so far, but he's human and the others are fast catching up.

Haha! I remember that humiliating defeat too. I don't see Blake performing better against Roger anytime soon.

prof ade:

He's going to lose more games this year than last year but if he happens to play Nadal, then definitely I'll be supporting Federer all the way.

Aside Roddick, no player has shown that ability to beat Federer, so far. I know the season has just begun. Federer seems to have found the winning formula against Nadal.

prof ade:

By the way, I don't want sharapova to win the ladies either.

Though, I love Hingis but I'll prefer Clijsters to go through to the semis. I want to see her (sharapova) silenced for good.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 1:05pm On Jan 23, 2007
Blake's problem is psychological. Just like Federer had against Nadal earlier. And you are right Fed has found the formula against Nadal, who by the way reminds me of a bull. So much power and aggression.

And on upcoming defeats for Fed, they will surely come . Remember the season is still young.

i totally agree on sharap's case, that runaway engine shriek must stop. quite annoying.

What makes you think Hing can't silence sharap?
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 1:16pm On Jan 23, 2007
prof ade:

What makes you think Hing can't silence sharap?

She finds it hard to cope with players with powerful forehands.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2007
so much being said.
@ prof ade, yeah the loss to Blake ruined my day too. It's one thing to lose gallantly ala Andy Murray, but to be blown away in straight sets without even a whimper? That's sad!

Nadal is who i'm secretly backing to win but with Roddick and Federer, that may be a tall order now. If not Nadal then i think Roddick shld be favorites, time for him to take his rightfull place among the tennis greats.

For the women, i will put my vote on Serena winning against all odds, what a story that would be.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 9:49am On Jan 24, 2007
Quarter Final Results/ Semi Final Fixtures - Women's Singles

Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs. Kim Clijsters (BEL)
7/6  7/5                            3/6  6/4  6/3

Serena Williams (USA) vs. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)
3/6  6/2  8/6                       6/1  6/4
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 9:59am On Jan 24, 2007
Quarter Final Results/ Semi Final Fixtures - Men's Singles

Roger Federer (SUI) vs. Andy Roddick (USA)
6/3  7/6  7/5                6/2  6/2  6/2

Tommy Haas (GER) vs. Gonzalez (CHI)/Nadal (ESP)
6/3  2/6  1/6  6/1  7/5

Workaholic Davydenko is out  shocked
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 10:06am On Jan 24, 2007
What a surprising finish by T.Haas, I thought Davydenko was going to win the game. They both played a wonderful game. Let see what Nadal can do against Gonzalez. I know it would be tough for him.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 11:56am On Jan 24, 2007
Nadal is on his way out of the tournament. He is trailing by two sets (2-6, 4-6).
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 12:01pm On Jan 24, 2007
Davidylan, that's my point exactly. Blake is better than that. But I believe he'll still redeem his image as the season progresses. Meanwhile i guess Nadal is actually on his way out.Gonzalez is reaaly hot. I need to watch this game tonite.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2007
Nadal is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 12:45pm On Jan 24, 2007
Gonzalez actually annihialated Nadal,6-2,6-4,6-3,After beating Hewitt and Blake,this guy is on fire.Federer kiss and Roddick beware
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 12:47pm On Jan 24, 2007
There aint gonna be a Fed-Nadal final at the Oz open.

Gonzalez has now improved his head-to-head record against Nadal to 3 - 1.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 1:55pm On Jan 24, 2007
The funny thing is no matter how on fire a player is destroying all others en route to meeting Federer, he usually manages to douse the flames, thrashing opponents without expression and then crying at the awards ceremony. Weird, uh? cool

The guy must be part cyborg.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 1:59pm On Jan 24, 2007
prof ade,lol!i thot i was the only one that noticed.Almost expressionless when things are going his way which is usually most of the time,but u see some small signs of emotions when he thinks he is not playing well,but when he gets his hands on that trophy,he just starts bawling.
The guy is such a legend grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 3:04pm On Jan 24, 2007
Nadal's Interview after the match:

Q. Fernando was in awesome form out there. What was it like on the other side of the court? Could you do much against him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's playing very good level, that's for sure. Maybe was not a good match for me. I don't know if I can say I am playing bad, but for sure I can't play at hundred percent, no?

I have problems in my leg, so I cannot run. I can't run a lot. Was difficult play one match like this, quarterfinals of one Grand Slam, with pain, without the best conditions, no?

Q. When did you hurt your leg?

RAFAEL NADAL: After the match. After the last match of Murray.

Q. Is that what the treatment was for?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. What exactly is it?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. I really don't know why. I was thinking before the ‑‑ before the match, I was practicing a little bit in the hotel because I was very tired. Today I going to warm up. I don't feel very bad. I just feel very tired. The leg hurt.

When I am on court, I am trying to run. Hundred percent run, well, I can't. I can't start. Was difficult and disappointing for me, no? I don't know if is a good opportunity because Fernando is very tough match. But for sure when you are in quarterfinals of a Grand Slam and you can't play with your best feelings, your best conditions, is difficult, no?

Q. Did you expect to win?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, before the match, yes. When I am on the match, no.

Q. Did you do something in the match against Murray? When did you feel the pain in that match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't feel the pain in the match of Murray, no? I feel later. I feel after. Well, I don't know. I was thinking was just tired. Normal. I was playing very tough match, I just feel tired. Maybe is not just tired, because is not normal. Walking right now I have lot of pain. Maybe is a little bit more than tired.

Q. What part of your leg is the pain in?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's not just the one place. I have pain here, in my famous ass (smiling). After I feel a little bit here, too (pointing to the inside and outside of the thigh). That maybe it's just tired, no? But down this way and in the ass is very, very painful, no?

Q. What do you do now? Do you leave Australia as soon as you can? Where do you play next?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I going to leave on Friday maybe because tomorrow I don't have plane. Well, I want to play the Davis Cup after one week. I hope be hundred percent for Davis Cup. Is one of my goals always, play for your country is always special for me.

But I need go to the doctor and watch what I can I do right now, no?

Q. Will you have a scan?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not yet. I just have doping right now. Nothing else.

Q. How much better a player is Fernando now? Does he seem more patient?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he improves his game a lot, no? He's playing with more calm all the time. Well, now he's doing a lot of slice, open the backhand. Sometimes is difficult.

Well, today I can't say so much, no, because I am not, I don't know. (Speaking in Spanish).

INTERPRETER: He really didn't have the chance to see how he plays because he was never at a hundred percent today.

RAFAEL NADAL: But for sure he has very good results. He improves a lot his game.

Q. Do you think he's got the game to beat Roger or Andy in the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: You never know. Roger is always very difficult. Is another level always. But you never know. When you are in one final of Grand Slam, you can win for sure because you are with big confidence. Anything can do.

But we will see the semifinals against Tommy Haas, no?

Q. You will have a scan in Spain?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure, because I have the Davis Cup after one week. I need know if I going to be in the team or not ‑ for me and for the rest.

Q. How much more disappointing is it when you have to leave a tournament after losing not being a hundred percent fit than when you lose in a tough match just normally?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, disappointing, no, because I was playing fine. I was playing good. I was winning very important match two days ago against Murray. I was with good confidence for try to play this quarterfinals and try to go to the final, no? But, well, that's it. I was trying my best all the time. I was fighting a lot for being in this quarterfinals.

But these things happening sometimes. Well, it's not a problem. If I am playing bad, something, well, you can go to the home and say disappointing. But today I just say, well, I can't do more. I try my best. Well, that's it.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 24, 2007
awwwwwwwww I'm sad that Nadal is out. I really would have loved him to win. I like his youth, enthusiasm and zeal!

Best of luck Nadal, Federer did not become a dominant player until he was 24-25 so you still have a good way to go and Gonzo himself is already 26. perhaps one last hurray for him until you become world's number 1.

From your number one fan! Vamoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos!
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by salehm(m): 5:15pm On Jan 24, 2007
Nadal Is out embarassed he was ousted by Chilean Gonzalez.So i think Roger has got the title in his sight coz even Russian davydenko is out. lipsrsealed

Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 2:21am On Jan 25, 2007
I knew Gonzalez would go on to demolish Nadal even before the match began. Looking at the dude play against Lleyton Hewitt revealed to me that this player could even go on and win the whole open.

My favourite Players of the open are;
[size=18pt]1.Marat Safin[/size]

[size=18pt]2.Gonzalez[/size]

[size=18pt]3.Safarova[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria VS Ghana (Women's Nations Cup Qualifier) Today At 4pm. / Sure Bets And How Geomancy Works On Predicting A Match5 / Mali Vs Cameroon: AFCON 2015 (1 - 1) On 20th January 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.