Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

36 States, And No Female Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 36 States, And No Female Governors (3175 Views)

No Female Visitor Is Allowed To Wear Face Cover (Niqab) - Nigerian Saudi Embassy / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / Stella Oduah Has No Female Housemaid - SEAIL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 19, 2016
Nigerian females have not yet succeeded in separating their home affairs from their personal goals, this is a major factor in the obvious lack of ambition being displayed by women in politics

The representation of females in politics is still below expectation. While women in developed countries like Europe, England, Brazil and even Arab countries have aspired and even occupied high political positions of power, very few Nigerian females have taken advantage of our multi party system to aspire for such

Should you be made a leader because of your gender alone? I'm of the opinion that this isn't right. However, what's stopping females from aspiring to occupy such positions in Nigeria?

The following are some major factors responsible this :

1) Cultural practices
2)Poor access to education
3)Early marriage and child bearing
4)Religion
5)Societal perception
6)Gender violence
7)Discrimination

These amongst other factors are responsible for the lack of drive and aspiration in women involved in politics

What can you do as a man to encourage women in politics?

1) Support them
2) Encourage them
3) Inform them
4) Include them
5) Accept them
6) Allow them

What can you do to aspire for higher positions as a woman in politics?

1) Believe in yourself
2) Education is key
3) Inform your spouse (if married) about your activities and aspirations
4) Don't believe in limitations
5) Learn from the men
6) Resist discrimination
7) Realize that marriage and child bearing are aspects of your life, you can still achieve your goals in other areas by proper management of all aspects

3 Likes

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Newbeginnings(m): 7:22pm On Nov 19, 2016
I understand that it is our females that are running rampant giving themselves for money.. I understand it is most females who go to school to get an education and then for a job without aspiring to be a great business owner. .

or will you make an example with that crude oil rich billionaire woman .... is that what real business is?

Nigeria's problem is bigger than giving women position in power..
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by AntiIPOOP(m): 7:22pm On Nov 19, 2016
[s]
Pidgin2:
Nigerian females have not yet succeeded in separating their home affairs from their personal goals, this is a major factor in the obvious lack of ambition being displayed by women in politics

The representation of females in politics is still below expectation. While women in developed countries like Europe, England, Brazil and even Arab countries have aspired and even occupied high political positions of power, very few Nigerian females have taken advantage of our multi party system to aspire for such

Should you be made a leader because of your gender alone? I'm of the opinion that this isn't right. However, what's stopping females from aspiring to occupy such positions in Nigeria?

The following are some major factors responsible this :

1) Cultural practices
2)Poor access to education
3)Early marriage and child bearing
4)Religion
5)Societal perception
6)Gender violence
7)Discrimination

These amongst other factors are responsible for the lack of drive and aspiration in women involved in politics

What can you do as a man to encourage women in politics?

1) Support them
2) Encourage them
3) Inform them
4) Include them
5) Accept them
6) Allow them

What can you do to aspire for higher positions as a woman in politics?

1) Believe in yourself
2) Education is key
3) Inform your spouse (if married) about your activities and aspirations
4) Don't believe in limitations
5) Learn from the men
6) Resist discrimination
7) Realize that marriage and child bearing are aspects of your life, you can still achieve your goals in other areas by proper management of all aspects
[/s]

To the oza room.

4 Likes

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 19, 2016
Newbeginnings:
I understand that it is our females that are running rampant giving themselves for money.. I understand it is most females who go to school to get an education and then for a job without aspiring to be a great business owner. .

or will you make an example with that crude oil rich billionaire woman .... is that what real business is?

Nigeria's problem is bigger than giving women position in power..

Is it every woman that sells herself for money and please who are the willing buyers and why are they not demonized too?

Have you ever wondered why she doesn't aspire to be a business owner? I guess not.

Women own businesses but when it comes to politics there is an obvious lack of ambition, which is what this thread attempts to deal with

The population of women is about 50% of the entire population of Nigeria and you are saying Nigeria's problem is bigger than giving women power? This is a rather ridiculous statement I must say

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 19, 2016
AntiIPOOP:
[s][/s]

To the oza room.

What happens there?
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Newbeginnings(m): 7:44pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Is it every woman that sells herself for money and please who are the willing buyers and why are they not demonized too?

Because I buy tobacco to smoke doesn't mean I am a bad person what about the person producing the tobacco

Pidgin2:

Have you ever wondered why she doesn't aspire to be a business owner? I guess not.

Women own businesses but when it comes to politics there is an obvious lack of ambition, which is what this thread attempts to deal with

The population of women is about 50% of the entire population of Nigeria and you are saying Nigeria's problem is bigger than giving women power? This is a rather ridiculous statement I must say

It can be 80% of the entire population for what they are worth.. but only someone who was born on the 90s and does not know Nigeria's history will be putting this point through..

Now my question is...

What is this post trying to solve... Is it Nigeria s recession and more blabber that doesn't necessitate action
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Suurulere(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2016
I cannot imagine having a pregnant governor. The woman was created for the man, remember?
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by project8(m): 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2016
How many nigerian women supported mama taraba when she was in court? because she contested under APC u didnt see her as a potential governor.feminist abeg mor hear word

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 19, 2016
Newbeginnings:

It can be 80% of the entire population for what they are worth.. but only someone who was born on the 90s and does not know Nigeria's history will be putting this point through..

Now my question is...

What is this post trying to solve... Is it Nigeria s recession and more blabber that doesn't necessitate action

Ignoring a sizeable part of the population is a recipe for disaster, that said, democracy should be all inclusive

This post is trying to ensure that an important aspect of our human resource is utilized effectively, this includes enabling the capacity of women in politics and positions of leadership. Developed countries are where they are because they do the above, we are where we are because we don't

2 Likes

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2016
Suurulere:
I cannot imagine having a pregnant governor. The woman was created for the man, remember?

How many male governors are below the age of 45 and what makes you feel you are likely to have a female governor of child bearing age?

2 Likes

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2016
Must a woman become governor? No! Must u force a woman to be governor? no! So if u want to contest for governorship go and contest and leave women alone.

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 19, 2016
project8:
How many nigerian women supported mama taraba when she was in court? because she contested under APC u didnt see her as a potential governor.feminist abeg mor hear word

Did you expect women to influence the verdict of the judge?

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by AbuHammaad: 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2016
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Blue3k(m): 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2016
Listen it's not a big deal we haven't had female govenor. Females are allowed to run and compete. We've had plenty female in State Assembly and many other in National positions. Most people that aren't fixated on trivial identity politics can care less what in between your legs.

If any female has same ideals and good plan for economy and secruity within the state. I would vote for them as would many.

Let me use Akwa Ibom for example. We have females representatives in State Assembly. Hon. Alice E Ekpenyong of Mbo and Hon. Ekaette Ebong Okon of Itu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 19, 2016
Klinee:
Must a woman become governor? No! Must u force a woman to be governor? no! So if u want to contest for governorship go and contest and leave women alone.

No one is forcing women to become governors but isn't it worrisome that after decades of democracy and women's involvement in politics we are still yet to see a democratically elected female governor in this country?
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
AbuHammaad:
-Men don't want to be bossed my women.
-Women are jealous of fellow women.

But there's a good chance she will not be bossy. So what does women being jealous of other women have to do with this post?

The UK, Germany, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Brazil, etc have all had and some still have female presidents, why is the US your model for women's political rights, they were colonized by England just as we were so why the emphasis on US? They are not even our colonial masters
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Blue3k(m): 8:26pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

No one is forcing women to become governors but isn't it worrisome that after decades of democracy and women's involvement in politics we are still yet to see a democratically elected female governor in this country?

How many run honestly? I doubt it's because of their sex they lost. Half the eligible voters are woman after all. If they want it they can compete.
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by AbuHammaad: 8:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:
Listen it's not a big deal we haven't had female govenor. Females are allowed to run and compete. We've had plenty female in State Assembly and many other in National positions. Most people that aren't fixated on trivia identity politics can care less what in between your legs.

If any female has same ideal and good plan for economy and secruity within the state. I would vote for them as would many.

Let me use Akwa Ibom for example. We have females representatives in State Assembly. Hon. Alice E Ekpenyong of Mbo and Hon. Ekaette Ebong Okon of Itu.

I get your point but after decades of democracy, it should be a big deal now. We need your support and encouragement, it's time to see s female governor

You will be surprised that many people now view the role of a governor as a role for men only, we need the support of men like you to change things

Show us the way

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 8:37pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Is not worrisome anything!!!! Is not a must that a woman will to be governor. There are many men out there aspiring to be governor but was not able, do we say that it's also worrisome
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

How many run honestly? I doubt it's because of their sex they lost. Half the eligible voters are woman after all. If they want it they can compete.

Many women have been programmed to feel inadequate, this is why they will often not vote for other women because they feel they will not perform well based on their gender. We need men to see women as capable and vote for us. Support, allow, include, and accept, this is what we need from you men

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2016
Klinee:
Is not worrisome anything!!!! Is not a must that a woman will to be governor. There are many men out there aspiring to be governor but was not able, do we say that it's also worrisome

Men have had their fair share of representation, what is worrisome about this? We are saying encourage female politicians aspiring for positions like this and do not discriminate against her because of her gender when you cast your vote, a governor can also be a female, let this thought sink in and act on it by voting in a qualified woman if she is bold enough to take up the challenge
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Blue3k(m): 8:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Many women have been programmed to feel inadequate, this is why they will often not vote for other women because they feel they will not perform well based on their gender. We need men to see women as capable and vote for us. Support, allow, include, and accept, this is what we need from you men

Do you plan on running on day? If so what state do you plan to be governor. If you policea are good I'm sure you have chance. If ex millitary dictator and currupt losers get in then your chance is good.

1 Like

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

Do you plan on running on day? If so what state do you plan to be governor. If you policea are good I'm sure you have chance. If ex millitary dictator and currupt losers get in then your chance is good.

I will definitely be a leader (God willing) thanks for your support and encouragement
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 9:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Men have had their fair share of representation, what is worrisome about this? We are saying encourage female politicians aspiring for positions like this and do not discriminate against her because of her gender when you cast your vote, a governor can also be a female, let this thought sink in and act on it by voting in a qualified woman if she is bold enough to take up the challenge
That we are Africa we reason some how. That u are a woman dose not qualify u to be a governor but we black tends to think some how, that's why u see some Africa country given women some position not that they qualified but because they are women. There are many women in Senate and house of rep, is it not men and women of Nigeria that voted for them? In my senatorial district, out of four people that had represented us three are women (chuba okadigbo- male,Joy emordi-female ,Margret okadigbo- female, Stella Odua-female). We shouldn't be forcing a woman to a particular position just because they have not had a woman before in that particular position but let her be there because merit it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 9:42pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

I will definitely be a leader (God willing) thanks for your support and encouragement
U have the full right to aspire for any position u want, nobody is stopping u. But if you lose don't take it on angle that it's because your are woman that why you lose because there are many men who have aspired to that particular position and loose.
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
Klinee:
That we are Africa we reason some how. That u are a woman dose not qualify u to be a governor but we black tends to think some how, that's why u see some Africa country given women some position not that they qualified but because they are women. There are many women in Senate and house of rep, is it not men and women of Nigeria that voted for them? In my senatorial district, out of four people that had represented us three are women (chuba okadigbo- male,Joy emordi-female ,Margret okadigbo- female, Stella Odua-female). We shouldn't be forcing a woman to a particular position just because they have not had a woman before in that particular position but let her be there because merit it.

Yes, I agree with your point but when the position of the first lady of a state is officially created with no alternate consideration for the position of the first gentle man of a state, it gives one the idea that the role of governor is reserved for the male gender
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2016
Klinee:
U have the full right to aspire for any position u want, nobody is stopping u. But if you lose don't take it on angle that it's because your are woman that why you lose because there are many men who have aspired to that particular position and loose.

Agreed but you also know that there is a big chance of some people not voting for me based on my gender. Many people do not think like you. This post was written to sensitize such people to discard their biases and vote for a competent individual as a governor even if that person happens to be a female.
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 11:03pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Yes, I agree with your point but when the position of the first lady of a state is officially created with no alternate consideration for the position of the first gentle man of a state, it gives one the idea that the role of governor is reserved for the male gender
Just bear it in mind that there is nothing like first lady Constitutionally recognised, the position is just ceremonial. The President may wish not to have a first lady, it's unofficial position.
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 19, 2016
If a woman rules.....
Things will be way worse.
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by babyfaceafrica: 11:13pm On Nov 19, 2016
Lolz......funny thread...anyone who likes should compete,if you win..good ,if not don't blame any gender
Re: 36 States, And No Female Governors by Klinee: 11:22pm On Nov 19, 2016
Pidgin2:

Agreed but you also know that there is a big chance of some people not voting for me based on my gender. Many people do not think like you. This post was written to sensitize such people to discard their biases and vote for a competent individual as a governor even if that person happens to be a female.
Yea I agree, but do you know that some people will also vote for you just because you're a woman and beautiful. A girl won SUG President in Uniben for the first time in the history of the school, do you know that people voted for her majorly because she is a woman not because she is more competent than other males. There complain is that since males have been ruling for past decades what benefits do they have, That they want to have a test of a girl and they voted for her. So people have different inclinative mind set but that doesn't deter you from aspiring for what you want to be.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra: A Comment From British National Party (pic) / Buhari's Integrity Is As Clean As Tinubu's Teeth : Reno Omokiri. (Pic) / SE/SS should not join the south west endcow campaign yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.