Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

4 Errors Of Conversation - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 4 Errors Of Conversation (655 Views)

Dinner Conversation / Gordon Keller’s 4 Common Errors Of Dialogue / The Unheard Conversation (A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Errors Of Conversation by Divepen1(m): 5:20pm On Nov 20, 2016
Common errors of Dialogues:

In our writing many of us commit these 4 errors,

Introduce dialogue grammatically. A verb like said is required. Some
verbs require an indirect object:
WRONG: He told, "I'm leaving."
RIGHT: He told his girlfriend, "I'm leaving."

Not all verbs that describe manner or speech can introduce dialogue by themselves:
WRONG: "Your move," he smiled.
RIGHT: "Your move," he said with a smile. WRONG: He shrugged, "If you say so."
RIGHT: Shrugging, he said, "If you say so."

Identify the speakers with a phrase like "he said." You may know
who is speaking in each paragraph, but your reader needs help.

Vary the location of the "he said" phrases. It is monotonous if the "he said" phrase comes at the beginning or end of every paragraph. Do not keep the reader wondering who is speaking:
WRONG: "I hate to disappoint you, but I think you're making a big mistake. Are you sure you'll feel this way next week? Or next year? Do you think you can just walk back into your girlfriend's arms if you should someday change your mind?" my sister asked.
BETTER: "I hate to disappoint you," my sister said, "but I think. . . ."

Vary the verbs that introduce dialogue.

https://olofoforeview./2016/11/20/4-common-error-of-conversation/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by malikombi(m): 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2016
ԵհíՏ íՏ ղօԵ Եհҽ íՏՏմҽ օƒ ѵҽɾҍՏ յմɾ, íԵ'Տ ɑӀӀ ɑҍօմԵ ʍօղҽվ ʍօղҽվ ʍօղҽվ ɑղժ ʍօɾҽ ʍօղҽվ
Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by Divepen1(m): 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2016
malikombi:
ԵհíՏ íՏ ղօԵ Եհҽ íՏՏմҽ օƒ ѵҽɾҍՏ յմɾ, íԵ'Տ ɑӀӀ ɑҍօմԵ ʍօղҽվ ʍօղҽվ ʍօղҽվ ɑղժ ʍօɾҽ ʍօղҽվ
You'll be fine oo

1 Like

Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by Lleigh(f): 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2016
Nice one Divepen1

The he said she said eventually gets ignored as the readers gloss over it.

But woe betide you as a writer if it isn't there.

Dialogue is hard...as we also need to imbue the character traits in there as well
Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by Divepen1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2016
Lleigh:
Nice one Divepen1

Dialogue is hard...as we also need to imbue the character traits in there as well
Yes oo. Happy Sunday
Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by Creeza(m): 5:54pm On Nov 20, 2016
Lleigh:
Nice one Divepen1

Its a tasky thing but truth is when your readers get accustommed to it, they wont bother about flaws-which are inevitable.

Sometimes, I draft about four or five diff convos about a particular topic, before posting.

And after that. The reader should spot the flaws, and comment. Very innovative. NICE THREAD. divepen1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Errors Of Conversation by Divepen1(m): 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2016
Creeza:
Its a tasky thing but truth is when your readers get accustommed to it, they wont bother about flaws-which are inevitable.

Sometimes, I draft about four or five diff convos about a particular topic, before posting.

And after that. The reader should spot the flaws, and comment. Very innovative. NICE THREAD. divepen1
You try oi...yes

4-5 conversations ..

Thanks creeza

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

KILLER - EPISODE 2(the Game Of Assassination ) / Me, Myself And I / TRAGIC PARADISE By Idorenyin Matthew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.