Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,517 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? (36494 Views)

Who Is Really Nigeria's Greatest Footballer? / "Look At Your Mates" - Footballer Kelechi Nwakali All Guccified In New Photo / Nigerian Female Footballer Kneels To Collect Her Entitlements. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
This is not even a competition. Nkwocha by a very long mile stands tall as the greatest African female footballer ever liveth.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pgords: 4:38pm On Nov 23, 2016
This one your user name is like bobrisky
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by LastSurvivor11: 4:43pm On Nov 23, 2016
Too bad I don't know mercy so much but perpetua is obviously a house hold name so I go for her

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 4:43pm On Nov 23, 2016
kilo4sure:
It's a tough one but Mercy Akide's goals have taken us to the quarterfinals of the world cup and till date makes us the only African team to get past the group stage of the Olympics, she is still quite popular globally and in the U.S for her heroics. l would say Akide has helped us more even beyond Africa, and in Africa. But in terms of records, perpetual surpasses her partly due to her more lengthy career. The equation is balanced.

Lies!

Nkwocha was also part of the Nigerian women Olympics team in Athens in 2004.

It is a bit ridiculous attributing the success of that team to Akide while writing of the contributions of strong women like Okolo Vera, who actually was the one who scored the goal that secured us the 3 points in our 1-0 win over Japan in our first match that saw us through into the quarterfinals.
That match was won by Nigerian good defenders like, precious Dede( GK) , faith Ikidi, Felicia Eze and the Rest.

Akide only scored consolation goals in our 2-1 losses to Sweden and Germany in our 2nd and third group matches.

I just hate mischievous people.
Akide tried, but she was no match to Nkwocha, individually. She( Akide) played African football at a time the other African women teams were still many levels below Nigeria, yet she doesn't have as much impressive stats as Nkwocha that played in a much modern era where teams like Equatorial guinea, Cameroun, SA had started closing the gap on Nigeria.

The achievements of that Olympic team was a group one, not an individual one.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by omhor(f): 4:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
anyone good on bed....lol
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by MajesticD(m): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
Indomie generation indeed....Damn, how i wish u watched Mercy Akide. A force indeed. Perpetual was great no doubt, but Akide just edges her out.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
pazienza:

Lies!

It is a bit ridiculous attributing the success of that team to Akide while writing of the contributions of strong women like Okolo Vera, who actually was the one who scored the goal that secured us the 3 points in our 1-0 win over Sweden that saw us through into the quarterfinals.
That match was won by Nigerian good defenders like...

Akide only scored consolation goals in our losses to
I agree with you, but Mercy Akide performed in big games than perpetual did, and of course very was another spectacular player.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by fineyemi(m): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
Now we have another upcoming legend. Asisat

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Myself2(m): 4:51pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

Perpetua Ijeoma Nkwocha :

(born 3 January 1976) is a Nigerian female professional footballer, who is the coach of Clemensnäs IF from Swedish Women's Football Division 2, she previously played for Swedish club Sunnanå SK. She is also a member and the former captain of the Nigeria women's national football team.

1) With the Nigeria national team she has participated in
7 CAF Women's Championship editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014),

2) winning five of them (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2014).

3) At the 2004 African Women's Championship, she scored four goals in the final against Cameroon to help her country win the title.

4) She also set a record by scoring nine overall goals during the tournament, and was named the best player of the tournament.

5) Nkwocha was voted African Women's Footballer of the Year 4 times in 2004, 2005, 2010 and 2011 by Confederation of African Football (CAF).

6) Nkwocha has also participated in four FIFA Women's World Cup (2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015),

7) as well as the 3 Olympic tournaments of Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, and Beijing 2008.

Perpetual has achieved more laurels, been to more tournaments, scored more goals.Wetin again you wan compare .?

Perpetual is more skillful and more of a finesse player, Mercy on the other hand is a turbo-charged power player.

I enjoyed them both (I mean their games,,,,,, O ye of dirty mind) but one over the other ; Perpetual all the way

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optimismlaz(m): 4:52pm On Nov 23, 2016
Perpetual all the way

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:52pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Akhide wins it

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by odomanis: 4:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

Tight one there...i didnt really watch much of Mercy Akide though...
but i think Shes better

The records are there naa. Both are good but perpetua is better. She played more and lasted longer for the falcons.She also is the highest winner of African footballer of the year female. And she scored more goals. What other parameter do we use. Perpetua is it.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by smartpyzee(m): 5:00pm On Nov 23, 2016
none....my grandma plays better grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by demolinka(m): 5:01pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Akide edges this one slightly for me. She played amongst, arguably, our best generation of female footballers, with respect to individual talent, and still managed to shine above everyone. I mean stars like chiejeine, okosime, kikelomo, kudaisi, omagbemi, Avre (my babe) etc.

Perpetual self nor carry last for the matter.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by DEIFIED(m): 5:02pm On Nov 23, 2016
what about cynthia uwak. They are all great footballers. The super falcons has done way better than the super eagles.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by femi4: 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

I beg to disagree

AKIDE was FIFA recognized

PERPETUA recognition was all in africa
A lot of people in this forum will choose Perpetual cos they didn't see Mercy play
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by checkolatunji: 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
Only those whose watched Mercy will understand, Perpetual is a great player two.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by toprealman: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

I beg to disagree

AKIDE was FIFA recognized

PERPETUA recognition was all in africa
You have a point. But who brought more accolades to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by striker9(m): 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

She always banged in goals against the big guns like USA, Norway and even Sweden. She had 2 Women's WC goals (Nigeria's highest goalscorers at the world cup are Rita Nwadike-3 and Nkiru Okosieme-3).

She also scored 4 times at the Olympics (twice in Sydney 2000 against Norway and China PR, and twice at athens 2004 against Sweden in the first round and Germany in the Quarters). She's Nigeria's and Africa's highest goal bangers olympics-wise.

She won the Caf women's best player award once because that was the period of her twilight years and had the award been awarded since 1995, Akide would have raked it at least 4 times. (Perpetual raked it four solid times) smiley

She made waves in the Women's league in America and was the first Nigerian and African to take the American women's soccer league by "heavy storm" doing great things for San Diego Spirits and Hampton road piranhas. She's also a pelican stars/Jegede babes/Ufuoma babes ex-super star.
Her CAF AWCON goals record stand at 18 goals (not counting her goals exploits at AWCON 1995 when she was just 19 coz I dont have the records from '95 off-hand).

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha made more headlines on the African continent than Akide ever did and also did get the global attention but not exactly like Akide. smiley

Perpetual Nkwocha is the record goals Queen of the CAF AWCON with 34 goals in all. SHE SHATTERED AKIDE'S GOALS RECORD TO PIECES AND HAS 80 INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN 99 APPEARANCES FOR THE SUPER FALCONS. She "possibly" outscored Marvellous Mercy in the Green and white of the Super Falcons. (Will dig out mercy's stats for the Super falcons overall later... It's kinda tough to do).

Her career began with the Falcons from Sydney 2000 where she scored against USA in a 3-1 loss at the olympics. Nigeria got 3 goals at sydney 2000 (guessed who scored the other two? Akide smiley ).

AWCON 2002 was Perpetual's First major impact at the AWCON as her four goals alongside Akide's 3 goals inspired Nigeria to a 5th AWCON triumph.

Perpetual holds so many records:

-She has one Women's World Cup goal (scored against Canada in 2011 edition).

- She has one Olympics women football goal (scored against Brazil at Beijing 2008).

- She has 34 AWCON goals.

- She holds the record for the best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (11goals at the 2010 Awcon).

- She holds the record for the second best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (9 goals at the 2004 Awcon). Marvellous Mercy had 8 goals at one single edition (in 1998).

- She holds the record for most number of goals in a single final (4goals vs Cameroun at Awcon 2004).

- She holds a joint record for most goals scored in a single AWCON game with ASISAT OSHOALA (4 goals)

- She won five AWCON titles (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2014). Marvellous mercy won four (1995, 1998, 2000, 2002).

- She won Four CAF best women's player awards. (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011).

-She also won the All Africa games women's Gold in 2007 and topped the scorers' chart.

Summarily... Both are super legends and It's almost like a draw.... smiley

But on the whole combining both Continental and Global paramenters/factors, I think Akide edges Nkwocha "Slightly"... BUT IN OSHOALA, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN GO ON AND SURPASS BOTH. smiley

Other Nigerian women's soccer legends who deserve mentions are:

-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

Etc, etc... Etc...
I remember Ekpo....that lady can be a bouncer

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by 4peace(m): 5:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

Perpetua Ijeoma Nkwocha :

(born 3 January 1976) is a Nigerian female professional footballer, who is the coach of Clemensnäs IF from Swedish Women's Football Division 2, she previously played for Swedish club Sunnanå SK. She is also a member and the former captain of the Nigeria women's national football team.

1) With the Nigeria national team she has participated in
7 CAF Women's Championship editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014),

2) winning five of them (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2014).

3) At the 2004 African Women's Championship, she scored four goals in the final against Cameroon to help her country win the title.

4) She also set a record by scoring nine overall goals during the tournament, and was named the best player of the tournament.

5) Nkwocha was voted African Women's Footballer of the Year 4 times in 2004, 2005, 2010 and 2011 by Confederation of African Football (CAF).

6) Nkwocha has also participated in four FIFA Women's World Cup (2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015),

7) as well as the 3 Olympic tournaments of Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, and Beijing 2008.

31 goals in Nations Cup not be joke ooo

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2016
demolinka:
Mercy Akide edges this one slightly for me. She played amongst, arguably, our best generation of female footballers, with respect to individual talent, and still managed to shine above everyone. I mean stars like chiejeine, okosime, kikelomo, kudaisi, omagbemi, Avre (my babe) etc.

Perpetual self nor carry last for the matter.

Akide played in a more star studded team. Which was why she played in teams that broke into World cup Quarterfinals in 1999, and Olympic Quarterfinals in 2004.

Our defense those days were better, and we relied alot on our defence to get to those stages.

I remember that Japan match in Olympics 1999, they pressurized us alot in that match, yet our strong defense marshalled by the likes of Dede, Ikidi, held out and won us that three points that ended up being the only points we had in that group, but was enough to see us through. Current Nigerian teams don't have such defenders.

In world cup in 1999, the North Korea match was also similar. We held our 1 goal lead for the last 10 minutes of the game, against series of attacks from the North Koreans.

Nkwocha played under an entirely different set up with weaker talents, but yet stood out and shone in her own way.

Playing with superior talents around her was an advantage to Akide and she should have better individual stats than Nkwocha.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by soulhighman(m): 5:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

Etc, etc... Etc...
You forgot kikelomo Ajayi.
As for the poll, I give Akide because during her era. She was almost the only player Nigeria depended upon fpr everything. As for perpetual Nkwocha, she was also damn great. But there were other superstars in the team too during her time, e.g Vera Okolo. Perpetual was outstanding no doubt, but the presence of many other great players during her time makes her work easier compared to Akide.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Phi001(m): 5:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
Wait... I'm not understanding...

Perpetual was born 1976, the Mercy person was born 1975.
So how exactly did people watch Perpetual play but not Mercy?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Majesticniyi(m): 5:31pm On Nov 23, 2016
Who served Nigeria better....a Major who died on a battle field in Sambisa or a Colonel who died in a battle in the creeks? I hate stupid comparisms

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by suwalee(f): 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2016
Perpetua all the way!!!!!!!!
robosky02:

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, AngelAhnie, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner(, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex(, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by firstclassmumu: 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
Hauwa
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by sekem: 5:39pm On Nov 23, 2016
I think it's the more beautiful one among them. tongue
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 5:41pm On Nov 23, 2016
Perpetual is the female version of kanu, skillful n intelligent player, I still remember her pass to mercy against Germany Athens 2004 similar to kanu pass to utaka against cameroun.

Mercy like the drogba kind of player, a leader knows how to motivate her fellow players, had more recognition from fifa.

But for a midfielder to score the loads of goals, four times African best... Ha, I give it to Perpetual Nkwocha

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Icon79(m): 5:42pm On Nov 23, 2016
pazienza:

Lies!

It is a bit ridiculous attributing the success of that team to Akide while writing of the contributions of strong women like Okolo Vera, who actually was the one who scored the goal that secured us the 3 points in our 1-0 win over Japan in our first match that saw us through into the quarterfinals.
That match was won by Nigerian good defenders like, precious Dede( GK) , faith Ikidi, Felicia Eze and the Rest.

Akide only scored consolation goals in our 2-1 losses to Sweden and Germany in our 2nd and third group matches.

It's actually silly to judge a player's contribution in a game to the number of goals she scored or didn't score. Only people who don't understand how the game is played would do that. Scoring goals is important but there's more to the game than simply goal scoring. Anybody who watched the Falcons during Mercy Akide's era would know that that team belongs to one player and one player only - Marvelous Mercy Akide! In those days when you play against the Falcons, the other teams specifically plans on how to stop Mercy. If you watch the team play, she's the name on the mouth of every player. They keep calling her: Marvelous Mercy, Marvelous Mercy despite the team having lots of other stars like Captain Omogbami, Nkeiru Okosieme, etc. Mercy carried that team and they all looked up to her. In addition, her game was just on a different level - speed, power, and skills.

Nigeria is yet to produce another player on her level. She was like the Jay Jay Okocha of that Falcon's team.

O pari

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Onechancearmy(m): 5:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
It is perpetually Perpetua. Perpetua in perpertuity. grin

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Onechancearmy(m): 5:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
zicky:
Perpetual is the female version of kanu, skillful n intelligent player, I still remember her pass to mercy against Germany Athens 2004 similar to kanu pass to utaka against cameroun.

Mercy like the drogba kind of player, a leader knows how to motivate her fellow players, had more recognition from fifa.

But for a midfielder to score the loads of goals, four times African best... Ha, I give it to Perpetual Nkwocha

You sabi Nigerian football.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Jayson1: 5:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
I remember the "speedster" Stella Mbachu, operating from the right, a constant menance to defenders. Don't be fooled by her pretty smile if you're a defender.

Then the beautiful "emotional" Precious Dede. A reliable goalkeeper. She was like a "savings account" grin.
You always feel sorry for her when she picks the ball out of her own net.

I also remember the Lion heart defender Kikelomo Ajayi, her presence alone makes the opposition strikers to have a hard time shooting at goal. cheesy

Then the legend herself, Perpetual Nwokocha, the goal machine... Give her the ball and watch the scoreboard change every minute. grin

Good looking out to Florence Omagbemi, Maureen Madu and the strong Ekpo.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Paul Pogba Opts For Ramadan Trip To Mecca Rather Than Holidaying / Ahmed Musa And His Wife Juliet Ejue All Smiles In London / Nigerians Confused As Kizz Daniel, CKay Miss 2022 World Cup Opening Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.