Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? (36384 Views)

Who Is Really Nigeria's Greatest Footballer? / "Look At Your Mates" - Footballer Kelechi Nwakali All Guccified In New Photo / Nigerian Female Footballer Kneels To Collect Her Entitlements. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by IBNgemini: 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2016
I saw mercy and perpetual at Beijing 2004,they were both good,but I will pick perpetual bcus she is a perpetual goal scorer.cameroun hear am for her hand
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by excel4us: 8:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
Nkwocha is good buh Mercy Akide is d best.she raped many countries with GOALS during her reign.#teamercyakide
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by gibzzhd: 8:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
who remembers Ann chijinie keeping the post at the Olympics in Sydney 2000 when she was 4 months pregnant and the AWC In south Africa 2months later when she was 6 months pregnant. legendary Team.The super falcons of that Era were simply the best.MERCY Akide the greatest Nigerian ever.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kolexy(m): 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

She always banged in goals against the big guns like USA, Norway and even Sweden. She had 2 Women's WC goals (Nigeria's highest goalscorers at the world cup are Rita Nwadike-3 and Nkiru Okosieme-3).

She also scored 4 times at the Olympics (twice in Sydney 2000 against Norway and China PR, and twice at athens 2004 against Sweden in the first round and Germany in the Quarters). She's Nigeria's and Africa's highest goal bangers olympics-wise.

She won the Caf women's best player award once because that was the period of her twilight years and had the award been awarded since 1995, Akide would have raked it at least 4 times. (Perpetual raked it four solid times) smiley

She made waves in the Women's league in America and was the first Nigerian and African to take the American women's soccer league by "heavy storm" doing great things for San Diego Spirits and Hampton road piranhas. She's also a pelican stars/Jegede babes/Ufuoma babes ex-super star.
Her CAF AWCON goals record stand at 18 goals (not counting her goals exploits at AWCON 1995 when she was just 19 coz I dont have the records from '95 off-hand).

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha made more headlines on the African continent than Akide ever did and also did get the global attention but not exactly like Akide. smiley

Perpetual Nkwocha is the record goals Queen of the CAF AWCON with 34 goals in all. SHE SHATTERED AKIDE'S GOALS RECORD TO PIECES AND HAS 80 INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN 99 APPEARANCES FOR THE SUPER FALCONS. She "possibly" outscored Marvellous Mercy in the Green and white of the Super Falcons. (Will dig out mercy's stats for the Super falcons overall later... It's kinda tough to do).

Her career began with the Falcons from Sydney 2000 where she scored against USA in a 3-1 loss at the olympics. Nigeria got 3 goals at sydney 2000 (guessed who scored the other two? Akide smiley ).

AWCON 2002 was Perpetual's First major impact at the AWCON as her four goals alongside Akide's 3 goals inspired Nigeria to a 5th AWCON triumph.

Perpetual holds so many records:

-She has one Women's World Cup goal (scored against Canada in 2011 edition).

- She has one Olympics women football goal (scored against Brazil at Beijing 2008).

- She has 34 AWCON goals.

- She holds the record for the best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (11goals at the 2010 Awcon).

- She holds the record for the second best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (9 goals at the 2004 Awcon). Marvellous Mercy had 8 goals at one single edition (in 1998).

- She holds the record for most number of goals in a single final (4goals vs Cameroun at Awcon 2004).

- She holds a joint record for most goals scored in a single AWCON game with ASISAT OSHOALA (4 goals)

- She won five AWCON titles (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2014). Marvellous mercy won four (1995, 1998, 2000, 2002).

- She won Four CAF best women's player awards. (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011).

-She also won the All Africa games women's Gold in 2007 and topped the scorers' chart.

Summarily... Both are super legends and It's almost like a draw.... smiley

But on the whole combining both Continental and Global paramenters/factors, I think Akide edges Nkwocha "Slightly"... BUT IN OSHOALA, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN GO ON AND SURPASS BOTH. smiley

Other Nigerian women's soccer legends who deserve mentions are:

-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

Etc, etc... Etc...

You forgot Kikelomo Ajayi?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by bigtt76(f): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy was the Yekini (RIP) of her time grin

robosky02:

ok watch her here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJS0cVbzIc
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Sunnypa11(m): 8:47pm On Nov 23, 2016
optional1:

Bestie you great, you good to go anytime anyday....
Oga no Add Precious Dede to that list
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:47pm On Nov 23, 2016
Pardon me.... So many to mention hence the etc, etc... Kikelomo Ajayi (always in jersey no.6)... Captain fantastic even before Florence Omagbemi took over... Abeg no vex for the omission... e ma bi nu...

Others are Olaitan Yusuf, Cynthia Uwak, and a couple more. smiley

kolexy:

You forgot Kikelomo Ajayi?
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by samsam2019: 8:48pm On Nov 23, 2016
They are not similarin anyway so it's hard to compare.

But talking about raw skill alone Perpetual Nkwocha is better than most of our male football players. Very good with the ball at her feet with endless energy

Mercy Akide as a player was like Rashidi Yekini. A goal pocher. A great one too.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:48pm On Nov 23, 2016
Etc... Etc... Naaa... sad
I dey mention am offhand naa... Loolll
Nna eh... Precious Dede, Nkechi Egbe... So many man! smiley
Sunnypa11:

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by GENTLETEE(m): 8:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
Perpetual Nkwocha
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 9:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
Sunnypa11:

who be Precious Dede?
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by ArabMopol(m): 9:15pm On Nov 23, 2016
I think Aisha Halliburton play ball pass them... he dribbled the dullard all the way from sitting room to the kitchen then enter the other room go score Hat-trick.... Bughari is a cow and a failure
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by gameboyo: 9:21pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

I beg to disagree

AKIDE was FIFA recognized

PERPETUA recognition was all in africa

The recognition were mere ceremonial cos she achieved nothing in fifa competitions. Perpetual as won 5 afcon title, against mercy's 3.so many other instances
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by superbouck(m): 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
my best female footballer is STELLA MBACHU

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2016
gameboyo:

The recognition were mere ceremonial cos she achieved nothing in fifa competitions. Perpetual as won 5 afcon title, against mercy's 3.so many other instances
Come on, after the Olympics in 2004, Nigeria had to leave Mercy out of the women Afcon to make room for other talents coming through, and the afcon wasn't very competitive for Nigeria at that time so we didn't need Mercy for it. This was how she retired, if she had played in 2004 and 2006, she would also have five today.
Also Mercy was recognized because of her performance in USA 1999, scoring one of the best goals of the tournament against Japan, and also played at the highest level of female football at that time in the American league with some of the best female players in the world and still performed credibly well. Perpetual must be applauded though for her skills and all round play, and for breaking records from her midfield role.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Sunnypa11(m): 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Etc... Etc... Naaa... sad
I dey mention am offhand naa... Loolll
Nna eh... Precious Dede, Nkechi Egbe... So many man! smiley
HD Brain
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by nnemmpi(m): 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2016
personally i will go for mercy akide

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 10:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
gameboyo:

its like

GEORGE WEAR and SAMUEL ETO'O

Eto has won so many African footballer of the year but George Wear ONE world best cancelled all

Like I said earlier MERCY was a trail blazer for Africa

when women game started the only recognized face was MERCY

and she was a bomb in the mold of any lady from USA, SWEDEN or BRAZIL then before PERPE came later

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 11:15pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

its like

GEORGE WEAR and SAMUEL ETO'O

Eto has won so many African footballer of the year but George Wear ONE world best cancelled all

Like I said earlier MERCY was a trail blazer for Africa

when women game started the only recognized face was MERCY

and she was a bomb in the mold of any lady from USA, SWEDEN or BRAZIL then before PERPE came later

Wrong comparison.
Mercy never won world best.

So, how does she cancel Nkwocha records,

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 11:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
kilo4sure:

Come on, after the Olympics in 2004, Nigeria had to leave Mercy out of the women Afcon to make room for other talents coming through, and the afcon wasn't very competitive for Nigeria at that time so we didn't need Mercy for it. This was how she retired, if she had played in 2004 and 2006, she would also have five today.
Also Mercy was recognized because of her performance in USA 1999, scoring one of the best goals of the tournament against Japan, and also played at the highest level of female football at that time in the American league with some of the best female players in the world and still performed credibly well. Perpetual must be applauded though for her skills and all round play, and for breaking records from her midfield role.

Wrong. She retired because she couldn't fit in any longer.
Remember she played in the 2003 world cup, where she was dreadful.

Even though she played women AFCON at a time Nigeria was many levels ahead of other African teams, Nkwocha that is not a striker, in addition to playing the AFCON at a more competitive era, when the likes of SA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Equitorial guinea, Cameroun, had started closing up the gap between them and Nigeria, still has more impressive goal scoring record in the tournament than her.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Daddi: 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Thanks Optional.... Your Daddy is watching... smiley

I dislike arguments but lemme solve this with a simple analysis. A midfielder providing more assists than a striker (that's a midfielder's major job), doing defensive duties then outscoring the same striker, should make it clear to you whose qualities and effectiveness is better. I guess what perpetua lacked at international level was good management and enlightenment. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:26pm On Nov 23, 2016
pazienza:

Wrong comparison.
Mercy never won world best.

So, how does she cancel Nkwocha records,

the world best has ONLY the best from each continent
she was the ONLY one picked to make the first eleven

from 6 continent of the world

56 nations from Africa

from 160 million people from Nigeria

from the super falcons

haba am sure you didn't see her play
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:40pm On Nov 23, 2016
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:41pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy still holds the goals record internationally for the Super Falcons. Perpetual only scored more in the AWCON.

Perpetua has 80 goals in 99 appearances. Mercy's record is sketchy for now as a lotta digging still needs to be done but she scored well over 80 goals for The Super Falcons.

It will interest you to know that Mercy Akide also began as a midfielder with the Super Falcons smiley **check the 1995 WC list**

From 1999 WC and 1998 AWCON, she was then used more as a striker.

Perpetual was an attacking midfielder who also played oftentimes as a striker. (As a midfielder she's not expected to score much right? That's your point.)

While, Mercy was an actual striker.

So I understand where you're coming from but fact is, you'll miss it that way. Mercy broke records with the Falcons when African women soccer was still young and naive.

Perpetual and Nigeria have never ruffled feathers globally the way Akide and her generation did yet Perpetual and the falcons were more exposed and more experienced.

In perpetual's time, the Nigerian & African women soccer scene was now more matured and experienced compared to Akide's time yet Akide took that team on her shoulders and did more.

Akide made Fifa All-star world squad twice in 1999 and 2004.

Perpetua made the nominees list for the 2005 Fifa Women's world best player.

Both are super legends. Both are trail-blazers but internationally, continentally and putting all the paramenters together, I believe Akide still edges Perpetua slightly.

I only hope Oshoala can go on to surpass them both as she's already on the right track and have even made some good marks they never made but she still have a long way to go.

And guess what... You know Oshoala as a striker/forward today right? smiley Well, she started off as a defensive midfielder for Nigeria at U-20 level in 2012 before she shone so bright as a forward in 2014. smiley

Daddi:
I dislike arguments but lemme solve this with a simple analysis. A midfielder providing more assists than a striker (that's a midfielder's major job), doing defensive duties then outscoring the same striker, should make it clear to you whose qualities and effectiveness is better. I guess what perpetua lacked at international level was good management and enlightenment. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 11:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

the world best has ONLY the best from each continent
she was the ONLY one picked to make the first eleven

from 6 continent of the world

56 nations from Africa

from 160 million people from Nigeria

from the super falcons

haba am sure you didn't see her play

Don't know what you are talking about.

She didn't win world best, it's as simple as that. Your Weah and Etoo comparison can't work between her and Perpetual. She has to win world best for that to happen.

She got FIFA recognition after our 1999 star studded team exploit of reaching the Quarterfinals, and she happened to be the star of the team, and so had to be picked.

She was a beneficiary of a team exploit.

In 2003, the team was just not as impressive as the 1999 team, and the entire Nigerian team including Mercy couldn't score a single goal in the three matches and finished bottom Of the group with Zero point and Zero goal.
You were not the only one that watched Akide.

Individually, perpetual was miles better than her, and it does reflect in their individual stats.

Gosh! You have in perpetual a midfielder outscoring an out and out striker despite the fact that she played at a more difficult era in African women football, and you are here talking what I don't know about.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by IWAA(m): 11:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
I watched both of them play, it is really a tight one to choose between both of them. I will give it to Perpetual Nkwocha.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 23, 2016
Perpetual is the only male or female Nigerian footballer to have played in 4 World Cup tournaments

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 12:00am On Nov 24, 2016

Perpetua has 80 goals in 99 appearances. Mercy's record is sketchy for now as a lotta digging still needs to be done but she scored well over 80 goals for The Super Falcons.

I know that even you don't believe Akide scored as much goals for Nigeria as Perpetual. Akide was not even close.
So you might just start cuting down these your fibs.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 12:14am On Nov 24, 2016
And this hype about Akide international goals is pretty hilarious, considering that she had only 2 goals in FIFA women world cup, Nkwocha had 1.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:15am On Nov 24, 2016
You are doing all you can to discredit Mercy but you forget that the USA 2003 that you so happily referred to also had Perpetual on that team. smiley

Mercy's goals date back to 1995 with the Super Falcons. You think it's easy digging up those stats?

Perpetua's Super Falcons journey began at Sydney 2000 so it's easier digging hers up.

Look, I've always thought and maintained Perpetual had more international goals before I actually decided to go some facts-finding. Mercy was goals beast.

Perpetual is a goals machine but Mercy was a goals beast... Goodness me! I belong to the "indomie" generation... Loolll but I wont be unfair when it comes to records and stats we can access not to mention those we cant for now.....

So saying Mercy scored over 80 goals is no joke... Just that we cant put an exact number on it for now. Some deeper research must be done. smiley

But if you ask me who I prefer as an all-round/well-rounded soccer star, I'll always take Perpetual Nkwocha... She had it all. Goals, Vision, Creativity, dribbles, mazy runs, etc.

Mercy was just power, pace, positional intelligence and instinct. She wasnt particularly a fantastic dribbler.

But again apart from my personal preference putting all parameters of both players' careers together on the overall, I gotta tell ya, Mercy edges Nkwocha slightly... She's not called "marvellous" for nothing naa...

You wont believe I followed Nkwocha's international career from beginning (as an 8 yr old) to end (2000-2014).

I followed Mercy's from USA 1999 to Athens 2004 Olympics. I missed her first 4-5 years in the Super Falcons and it is the records of those years many are ignorant of. smiley

pazienza:

I know that even you don't believe Akide scored as much goals for Nigeria as Perpetual. Akide was not even close.
So you might just start cuting down these your fibs.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:16am On Nov 24, 2016
Be fair man....

What about Olympics goals?? Dont wanna go there huh?

Akide - 4

Nkwocha - 2

Pls be fair... smiley

pazienza:
And this hype about Akide international goals is pretty hilarious, considering that she has only 2 goals in FIFA women world cup, Nkwocha had 1.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:19am On Nov 24, 2016
Also people forget that Rita Nwadike and Nkiru Okosieme are Nigeria's record top scorers in women's world cup history.

Rita Nwadike- 3

Nkiru Okosieme - 3

Does that make them better than Mercy or Perpetual?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Nets Four Goals For Portugal Against Lithuania In EURO 2020 / AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning / Transfer: Victor Osimhen Set For A Shock Move To Manchester United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.