Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. (20367 Views)

Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 3:10am On Jan 24, 2017
In Benin republic, they say "Yevo" or "Yovo"

Which means White. The word for White as in the color.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 7:59pm On Jan 24, 2017
lawani:

Oyibo, Oyinbo, Eebo, Oibo are thesame word rendered differently.

My observation is that oyibo is more popular generally in southern Nigeria (and among Igbos) and that's how the word's pronounced anyway. Yorubas (at least the ones I know) also say oyibo but write oyinbo. I know some Yorubas use eebo but in written language it always has a likeness for oyinbo from what I've seen. The rest of us in the south just say and write oyibo.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 8:50pm On Jan 24, 2017
Probz:

My observation is that oyibo is more popular generally in southern Nigeria (and among Igbos) and that's how the word's pronounced anyway. Yorubas (at least the ones I know) also say oyibo but write oyinbo. I know some Yorubas use eebo but in written language it always has a likeness for oyinbo from what I've seen. The rest of us in the south just say and write oyibo.

YOU CAN SPELL AYINDE AS AYIDE OR AYINLA AS AYILA. THAT IS THE ISSUE. I DONT USE OYINBO FOR INSTANCE, MAYBE SOME PEOPLE DO AND AN IFE CHIEF EXPLAINED THE MEANING TO ME AS OYI-BO MEANING BREEZE-PALED. THERE ARE PEOPLE NAMED FATOYIBO OR FATOYINBO, OGUNTOYIBO OR TEEBO IN OGBOMOSHO ETC MEANING IFA RANKS EQUAL TO THE WHITE MAN, OGUN RANKS EQUAL TO THE WHITE MAN ETC. THE LAST ONE TEEBO JUST MEANS EQUAL TO THE WHITE MAN. THE PRAISE NAME FOR OWA AJIMOKO HAASTRUP IN IJESA IS
AJIMOKO BI OYIBO
THE ONE WHO STEERS A SHIP LIKE A WHITE MAN!

YORUBA HAVE KNOWN WHITE PEOPLE EVEN BEFORE EUROPEANS LANDED HERE IN WEST AFRICA.

SEE A FATOYIBO HERE
https://mobile.facebook.com/riliwan.fatoyibo?_rdr

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by agadez007(m): 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2017
Who said "Ube" is not Igbo?

Nonsense,wetin person no go read on this Nairaland,FYI Ube dosent grow in the south west
I remembered a certain time my mum offered ube to a yoruba guy,he was like "Mama,wetin be this,i never see am before"

Pear dosent have a Name in the yoruba language,how can you name what you dont have/seen

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 2:06am On Jan 25, 2017
lawani:

Some Anambra, Delta and Enugu communities border with Yoruboid areas. Igala, Olukunmi, Itsekiri are all Yoruboid groups and you find more Yoruboid words, mannerism, culture in the adjacent Igbo areas.

Yeah, I'm still not getting this, lawani. You wan give examples of these Yoruboid words (save for okoro) and esp. mannerisms?

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 3:18am On Jan 25, 2017
Probz:

Yeah, I'm still not getting this, lawani. You wan give examples of these Yoruboid words (save for okoro) and esp. mannerisms?

The word obi or Oba used to mean King, ibi used to mean evil or bad thing, oyibo used to mean white man. There are a lot. Then for mannerism and culture the practice of kingship system, bowing down to kings and etc.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by scholes0(m): 4:47am On Jan 25, 2017
lawani.... I am Yoruba too, but common- you are speculating on a lot of things!

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by absoluteSuccess: 7:04am On Jan 25, 2017
scholes0:
lawani.... I am Yoruba too, bur common- you are soeculating on a lot of things!

Word.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 11:43pm On Mar 02, 2017
Random bump but I found this re. the word 'oyibo.'

"However, the Igbo rulers quite unlike the Europeans of today would not impose contraception and abortion on the white population because it would violate the Igbo pro-life culture. They sought for a solution, that will allow inter-marriages betwen Igbos and whites, so a new population of mixed-race people were born and were called o yii Igbo, meaning 'they look like Igbos', which to this day is incorrectly called oyibo."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=594cCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT194&dq=igbo+oyibo+western&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=igbo%20oyibo%20western&f=false

It also gives an interesting etymology re. bekee (bia i ke, 'he has come to divide'), which we Igbos are often told (clearly incorrectly) derives from William Baike's surname (I also found out bekee's been in usage since before he was even born, so Baike-bekee's out of the window).

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 1:26pm On Mar 14, 2017
lawani:

The word obi or Oba used to mean King, ibi used to mean evil or bad thing, oyibo used to mean white man. There are a lot. Then for mannerism and culture the practice of kingship system, bowing down to kings and etc.
Re-reading this is funny. So obi na Yoruba word now?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by OMANBALA1: 4:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
lawani:

What are you onto?
Are you drunk or what?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 9:54am On Mar 16, 2017
OMANBALA1:

What are you onto?
Are you drunk or what?

I knew he was onto something when he called obi a Yoruba word.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Prosperchuks1344(m): 7:55am On Dec 21, 2018
YourNemesis:

Why are you not calling it Egwushi?
Egwushi is the 100% Igbo one. Egusi is Yoruba.

I know this post is been long but I have no option than to correct you.

first of all it is written in this form EGWUSI in Igbo not egwushi....

secondly egwusi is 100% Igbo.

Non Igbos changed the spelling from Egwusi to egusi just the way they changed ENUGWU to Enugu.
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 9:48am On Dec 21, 2018
Probz:

I knew he was onto something when he called obi a Yoruba word.
obi means parent in yoruba but I am not saying it is thesame as the anioma word but it sounds alike

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:
obi means parent in yoruba but I am not saying it is thesame as the anioma word but it sounds alike

All these languages share a similar root so I’m not surprised.

I made a thread exploring the link between Obi and Edo and Igbo kinship titles but this is the first I’m hearing about it being used in Yoruba also. You sure Obi’s not only used in a conc. Ekiti dialect?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2018
Probz:

All these languages share a similar root so I’m not surprised.

I made a thread exploring the link between Obi and Edo and Igbo kinship titles but this is the first I’m hearing about it being used in Yoruba also. You sure Obi’s not only used in a conc. Ekiti dialect?
obi means parent in standard yoruba

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:

cc. 9jakool

Really?
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Prosperchuks1344(m): 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:
lol.... it might be true but different when pronounced.
one of your Yoruba bro said Ube - pear, is not Igbo.. what do you have to say about that?
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 4:10pm On Dec 21, 2018
Prosperchuks1344:

lol.... it might be true but different when pronounced.

one of your Yoruba bro said Ube - pear, is not Igbo..
what do you have to say about that?
it is thesame when pronounced. Same tone

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Prosperchuks1344(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:
it is thesame when pronounced. Same tone

OK but it's a Igbo word not Yoruba...

meanwhile what do Yoruba's call pear and avocado pear in your native Lang?
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by IkpuMmadu: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
Probz:

I dunno for sha. The rest (save for egusi) are Yoruba (I'd imagine). Egusi is 100% Igbo and literally means melon in Igbo (written as egwusi natively). Yorubas like to attach meanings to every word they adopt but that doesn't make it any less Ibo.

And whether the word egusi was borrowed or not (which I highly doubt), the soup's 100% Igbo. How many other tribes in Nigeria have Akpurakpu Egusi and Achara.

Okwuro they call it okra
Very soon they would claim Ugu is a Yoruba word
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by IkpuMmadu: 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
Prosperchuks1344:

Ube is Igbo
We have three ube in Igbo land
Ube bekee ...avacado
Ube mgba ...the tiny pear
Ube ...normal pear

Ask the Yoruba what do they call theirs

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2018
Prosperchuks1344:

I dunno the yoruba for pear and avocado

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Prosperchuks1344(m): 5:14pm On Dec 21, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

Ube is Igbo
We have three ube in Igbo land
Ube bekee ...avacado
Ube mgba ...the tiny pear
Ube ...normal pear

Ask the Yoruba what do they call theirs

I dunno your state bro but where I come from we call it....

Ube oyibo - Avocado pear
Ube - pear.
Then the tiny pear they use to hawk around tied with transparent nylons, we call it UBE OSA.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by IkpuMmadu: 5:17pm On Dec 21, 2018
Prosperchuks1344:

I dunno your state bro but where I come from we call it....

Ube oyibo - Avocado pear
Ube - pear.
Then the tiny pear they use to hawk around tied with transparent nylons, we call it UBE OSA.

Gbam

We call it ube mgba
The avacado is ube oyibo or ube bekee

You are right

Ube Osa is called sometimes

It depends

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Prosperchuks1344(m): 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:

OK....
I asked because one of your brother said Ube is not a Igbo word.
Merry Xmas in addy...

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by IkpuMmadu: 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2018
lawani:

That is to tell you Ube isn't Yoruba word

Avacado is Ube Oyibo

We have three types of Ube in igbo land

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by IkpuMmadu: 5:21pm On Dec 21, 2018
YourNemesis:

Uhhn? Where is the proof to back that up?
It wasn't Oyibonised to Egusi... Yorubas call it Egusi. Igbos call it Egwushi ... The English simply know it as melon.
Everyone else calls it Egusi because it became more widespread and spread to other places from the west... otherwise, who else calls Egusi Egwushi ecept Igbos?
You are just talking based on your local knowledge of Igbo environment... everybody has different way's of cooking Egusi, but the stir fry just happens to be the most popular.

I bet in 20 years, we might be having this discussion about Shaki (tripe) and Kpomo, since everyone now consumes those ones as well.
What is the Igbo word for Eba?

We don't call shaki...Igbo call it afọ anụ
Pomo is called Kanda in Igbo pls

Very soon Yoruba would claim Ugu (pumpkin ) theirs
They would claim Ọha also
And they would claim Ose too

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 5:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
Prosperchuks1344:

OK....
I asked because one of your brother said Ube is not a Igbo word.
Merry Xmas in addy...
Same to you and God bless
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by rhektor(m): 9:10am On Dec 22, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Abi and sabi are Portuguese

What are you saying? àbí is a Yorùbá word
Àbí orí ńṣe ẹ ní?

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by 9jakool: 11:16am On Dec 22, 2018
Probz:

cc. 9jakool

Really?

Obi means parent. Don't worry, it doesn't sound at all like Igbo version tonally and it stems from a different root altogether.
The stem verb "bi" means to born or to give birth. O + bi refers to one's parent.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by TAO11(f): 8:46am On Dec 23, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Abi and sabi are Portuguese

Abi is Yoruba not Portugese although Sabi comes from Portugese.

Get your fact right

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lies About Oyo Empire / The Significance Of Oranmiyan Staff And Ife Immovable Heritage Resource. / Let Have Some Fun Mention One "Pidgin Proverbs" You Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.