Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This (30876 Views)

4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job / Differences Between Job Interview And Job Chat / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by obstead200(m): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2016
Cortana2:
You've almost nailed a job and then the interviewer placed on your table a white paper containing the following...

Legend has it that the inventor of the game called chess was told to name his own reward. His reply was along this lines.

Imagine a chess board.

Suppose one grain of corn is placed on the first square.
2 grains on the second
4 grains on the third,
8 grains on the fourth,

and so on until you get to the 64th square.

I would like as many grains of corn as the chess board now carries.

We were given just 5 minutes to do this... angry
use geometric progression to solve it. also apply the formula used to find the sum of the series in a geometric progression.
dont have these formulas by heart but if i do, the maths is pretty simple.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Mightyraw(m): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Na this kind babe person go marry, e no go fear say hin children go dull. Kudos.

Geometric Progression(GP) = a ( r^(n-1))

Using the formula to solve the equation, it bcomes 2 ^ 63 as the final answer.
That is wrong,
Its sum of gp,
What u solved is juss d nth tern ie 64th term

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Chrisx1x(m): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.
we use formula for sum of a geometric progression which is s = a(1-r^n)/1-r

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed
Something like 2^64 - 1 or even just 2^64
cry
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed
Damm...na this kind wife i dey find.i love you this
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by obstead200(m): 11:13am On Nov 29, 2016
tobimillar:

There is a formula for sum of terms in a gp

Ifeshyne, they asked for total number of corn, not the number of corn on the last term.

We should have used the formula for sum which is

S = a { 1- r^n/ 1-r} since r is not equal to 1
you are on point.
so many others are in a hurry to answer the question that they failed to read the question correctly.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:15am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Solve (64 -1) differently, u will have 63 which is raise power of 2.
Is that what you were taught in school?

You mean 2^3-1 which is (2*2*2) - 1 = 7

is the same thing as 2^(3-1) which is 2^2 =4
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wansky(m): 11:18am On Nov 29, 2016
Guys stop confusing yourself, it just d application of GP you learnt in school, "Ifeshyne" was in line, only she mixed-up the formula. should have been [a(r^n -1)]/(r-1) since the value of the common ratio is greater than 1 (2/1=2, or 4/2= 2) the answer to the question is 2.9*10^17 corns

2 Likes

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Originalsly: 11:20am On Nov 29, 2016
Cortana2:

We were given just 5 minutes to do this... angry
I'm sure you didn't get the job.... and all those commenting so far would not have either.Five minutes to do what? .... what was presented to you was not to test your Maths but to test your comprehension. You were given five minutes to say how much you want to be paid... not to calculate how many grains of corn would be on the chess board. That was an indirect answer the chess inventor gave.... you could've done the same by saying the same as the pores on the interviewers body... or more appropriately... just give the salary you want.

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wristbangle: 11:20am On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
Is that what you were taught in school?

You mean 2^3-1 which is (2*2*2) - 1 = 7

is the same thing as 2^(3-1) which is 2^2 =4

Why are u finding it difficult it comprehend bro.

2 ^(64-1) = 2^63

Ah ahn! Na wao
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by kosasly(m): 11:21am On Nov 29, 2016
refreshrate:
Me I will just stand up and say "bros if you no wan give me the job talk so na which one be all dis?" I offend you before?
wink grin grin grin
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:25am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Why are u finding it difficult it comprehend bro.

2 ^(64-1) = 2^63

Ah ahn! Na wao
Its wrong. You even miss the formula
The formula is a(r^n - 1)/r-1 not a(r^(n-1))
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 29, 2016
this is just bollocks, how much will they now pay?? that kind company no go get money pay salary.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Ifeshyne(f): 11:28am On Nov 29, 2016
tobimillar:

There is a formula for sum of terms in a gp

Ifeshyne, they asked for total number of corn, not the number of corn on the last term.

We should have used the formula for sum which is

S = a { 1- r^n/ 1-r} since r is not equal to 1

Thats what i used, kindly scroll up
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Emary(f): 11:30am On Nov 29, 2016
The simple way to do this in case of any of you do run across this again is to add the 1st and last digit i.e. 1 + 64 = 65. Then 64 divided by 2 = 32. Your answer is 65 multiplied by 32 = 2080.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by lum1: 11:30am On Nov 29, 2016
I like this question. There are certain pitfalls however. How many grains are on the board?
1, 2, 3, 4, ..........
on the 64th square you would have 2 power 63 as many people have pointed out. But the real question is how many is on the board?
So you have to sum from the 0 to 63 using the geometric sum
(2 power (63 +1)) - 1

The minus one is not on the power, else you would only computing the number on the 64th square

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by MsFaith: 11:30am On Nov 29, 2016
H2Ossss:

U go school.... This is simply application of what u learnt in school in a real life situation.

What if you don't remember the formula at that time? That is just the issue
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by beautydutch(f): 11:30am On Nov 29, 2016
pinkyruledworld:
I dont even understand
hahahahah
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Ifeshyne(f): 11:31am On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
haba, how can 2^64 - 1 = 2^63

I tell you, the minus 1 is not for the 64 only but for 2^64
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by beautydutch(f): 11:31am On Nov 29, 2016
do u want to give me d job or not
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:32am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

I tell you, the minus 1 is not for the 64 only but for 2^64
I don correct am taya....e no gree

Cc wristbangle
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by dejt4u(m): 11:33am On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:

Let me break it down a bit, 2 is the common factor (don't ask me how, I only took an informed guess)
1st square = 2^1-1 = 2^0 = 1
2nd square= 2^2-1 = 2^1 = 2
3rd square = 2^3-1 = 2^2 = 4
4th square = 2^4-1 = 2^3 = 8
64th = 2^64-1 = 2^63

bro, that is 64th term alone.. The question is the sum of everything on the chess board which will be the sum of all the 64 terms..

I still insist that the answer is 264 - 1

Zirah:
There's nothing wrong about it. 2 to the power of 63 is correct and you don't need any formula to get this solved smiley

you definitely need a formula.. This is a GP series of the form 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32,...

From the above,
first term, a = 1, common ratio, r = 2,
supply this in the formula of sum of nth term of a GP..
Sn = a(rn - 1)/(r-1) since r > 1

therefore, S64 = 1(264 - 1)/(2-1),
S64 = 264 - 1

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Ifeshyne(f): 11:33am On Nov 29, 2016
obstead200:
you are on point.
so many others are in a hurry to answer the question that they failed to read the question correctly.

And you're in a hurry to comment and didn't read the answer correctly
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

Thats what i used, kindly scroll up

I didn't see that earlier. My bad. My response then is to those asking if we were still going to add from first to last term.how did you arrive at 2^63 as your final answer. That looks like the last term to me. And your formula wasn't complete. Look at yours and compare with mine
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by H2Ossss(m): 11:35am On Nov 29, 2016
MsFaith:

What if you don't remember the formula at that time? That is just the issue

Yeaa... U are right... But at least the 1st step is knowing what to do... Some might know the formula without knowing to apply it in a given situation.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by joinnow: 11:35am On Nov 29, 2016
Emary:
The simple way to do this in case of any of you do run across this again is to add the 1st and last digit i.e. 1 + 64 = 65. Then 64 divided by 2 = 32. Your answer is 65 multiplied by 32 = 2080.
Wrong tongue
Answer is uncountable
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wristbangle: 11:36am On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
Its wrong. You even miss the formula
The formula is a(r^n - 1) not a(r^(n-1))

Google the formula sir.

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:38am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Google the formula sir.
you still dey argue

Nth term formula is different from Summation formula

You ve been using nth term formula which is wrong
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Filashade(f): 11:40am On Nov 29, 2016
Wats funny is that this job will not entail what the stupid interviewer is asking you to calculate.

Interviewer sef.

smh

undecided
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by ever811(m): 11:43am On Nov 29, 2016
LastMumu:
What's with the whole interest in corns and grains? If I were you, I would have asked the recruiter if he was a fowl in his previous life. undecided

lastmumu
oh boy I beg,you don make me look stupid where I dey,in the mix of some chicks...niga blow serious laugh...
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by agrovick(m): 11:44am On Nov 29, 2016
dejt4u:

bro, that is 64th term alone.. The question is the sum of everything on the chess board which will be the sum of all the 64 terms..
I still insist that the answer is 2^64

You might be correct, I realized all I did was look for the 64th term, I didn't do the summation.

tobimillar:

It's only for when r > 1. When r =1 or less than 1, there is a different formula

I agree, r > 1 applies here. Although I was trying to get you to remind me of the conditions that r fulfills before one can decide the formula to be used.

Originalsly has a point with his post.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by H2Ossss(m): 11:49am On Nov 29, 2016
Filashade:
Wats funny is that this job will not entail what the stupid interviewer is asking you to calculate.

Interviewer sef.

smh

undecided
Not really, the job might require you to use simple maths/physics principles to solve complex problems... I'll love to believe its for an engineering role..
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by EHI9ICE(m): 11:55am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

To you madam,I say 'well done'

And for the records(as pathetic as it may sound), I hate Mathematics.

Ohkay, nor be say i hate maths...I nor just gree know am. I pray to give birth to children,in future who are mathematics geniuses.

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by crownie(m): 11:58am On Nov 29, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote 28,000 Job Creation. My Experience / Please Find Attached My Resume: The Right Way To Say It / Hope For A Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.