Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,797 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This (30869 Views)

4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job / Differences Between Job Interview And Job Chat / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Ukeachu1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.
we use formula for sum of a geometric progression which is s = a(1-r^n)/1-r

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed
Something like 2^64 - 1 or even just 2^64

just wishing I can at least see your face. beta pikin

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Jokerman(m): 12:09pm On Nov 29, 2016
shamecurls:
They did not specify the type of corn. White, Gold or Black.

See what being a Buhari zombie has turned you too... embarassed
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Boyooosa(m): 12:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
UHHN! How can a Buhari solve the problem of Recession? This bothers me more!
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:19pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed
Lovely, but something is missing
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wristbangle: 12:22pm On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
you still dey argue

Nth term formula is different from Summation formula

You ve been using nth term formula which is wrong

Even if u use sum of terms formula, u will arrive at same answer.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2016
dejt4u:
you are wrong.. It is (2^64) - 1 which is different from 2^(64-1)

my answer;
you definitely need a formula.. This is a GP series of the form 1, 2, 4, 16, 32,...

From the above,
first term, a = 1, common ratio, r = 2,
supply this in the formula of sum of nth term of a GP..
Sn = a(rn - 1)/(r-1) since r > 1

therefore, S64 = 1(264 - 1)/(2-1),
S64 = 264 - 1
Scholar you did well but something is wrong, the sequence is not the square of real numbers, check sir
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by dejt4u(m): 12:26pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:

Scholar you did well but something is wrong, the sequence is not the square of real numbers, check sir
yea.. Thanks.. It shld be something like this; 1,2,4,8,16,32,...
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:27pm On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:

Let me break it down a bit, 2 is the common factor (don't ask me how, I only took an informed guess)
1st square = 2^1-1 = 2^0 = 1
2nd square= 2^2-1 = 2^1 = 2
3rd square = 2^3-1 = 2^2 = 4
4th square = 2^4-1 = 2^3 = 8
64th = 2^64-1 = 2^63

Rotfl! You are one nairalander I will love to meet in person
Wrong sir
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:28pm On Nov 29, 2016
dejt4u:
yea.. Thanks.. It shld be something like this; 1,2,4,8,16,32,...
You are blessed
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by DCNM(m): 12:32pm On Nov 29, 2016
Truth be say, dem no wan give u dat Job
wink
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:37pm On Nov 29, 2016
tompat86:

Now they want u to addup from 2「1-1 through 2「64-1
Which is The total number of grains which the board can carry.
I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S
tompat86:

I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S
tompat86:

I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S64
tompat86:

I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S[sub]
tompat86:

tompat86:

I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S64[/sub]
tompat86:

tompat86:

tompat86:

I bet to disagree sir, the formula is sufficient cos it adds up all the terms, so using S64 = a(r^n - 1)/(r - 1) is sufficient
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Longman6(m): 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

Ms, can we talk maths off nairaland?
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2016
Dpearlz:

You're correct. Solving that equation gives 2^63.
It is not correct, there is a little Kinkinli mistake in the formula
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 12:54pm On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Even if u use sum of terms formula, u will arrive at same answer.
No you won't

Is 264 - 1 same as 263
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2016
Longman6:
Ms, can we talk maths off nairaland?
Chai opportunist, stay ON nairaland
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by MRBODMAS(m): 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2016
All Mathematicians in the house, well put.

Simply solved by using Sum of GP formula:
Where a=1, r=2, n=64, Total Grains of rice=? Note: Sigma means 'sum up'

n-1
Sigma (ar^n)= a(1−r^n)/(1−r)
k=0

Substitute for the variables

(1*2^64) = 1(1-2^64)(1-2)

Cross multiply

(1-2^64) / (-1) = 2^64 - 1

= 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 (460 billion tonnes of rice)

This is not attainable with the little minutes given. Brain Storming.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
No you won't

Is 264 - 1 same as 263
not same sir 2^3 - 1 is not equal 2^2 sir, with all due respect
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 1:00pm On Nov 29, 2016
MRBODMAS:
All Mathematicians in the house, well put.

Simply solved by using Sum of GP formula:
Where a=1, r=2, n=64, Total Grains of rice=? Note: Sigma means 'sum up'

n-1
Sigma (ar^n)= a(1−r^n)/(1−r)
k=0

Substitute for the variables

(1*2^64) = 1(1-2^64)(1-2)

Cross multiply

(1-2^64) / (-1) = 2^64 - 1

= 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 (460 billion tonnes of rice)

This is not attainable with the little minutes given. Brain Storming.
the final answer is very correct but the formula should be that with condition of r>1 sir. Cos r=2

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:
not same sir 2^3 - 1 is not equal 2^2 sir, with all due respect
I guess you quote the wrong person
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
I guess you quote the wrong person
OK sir, oh I guess you were also trying to correct the person..
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Longman6(m): 1:10pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:

Chai opportunist, stay ON nairaland
Hello Mr, i don't know what your thoughts were when you called me an opportunist, i will suggest you stop speculating.Regards
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by agrovick(m): 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:

Wrong sir

Definitely not wrong, the right word should be incomplete. I did only the 64th term without doing the summation of all the terms.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:
OK sir, oh I guess you were also trying to correct the person..
yes
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:

Definitely not wrong, the right word should be incomplete. I did only the 64th term without doing the summation of all the terms.
My bad, you were not wrong I was, thank you for the polite response
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2016
Longman6:

Hello Mr, i don't know what your thoughts were when you called me an opportunist, i will suggest you stop speculating.Regards
Well, na Joke I dey, no thoughts.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by agrovick(m): 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:
My bad, you were not wrong I was, thank you for the polite response
Respect baba, you are too much.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Longman6(m): 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2016
gaffig:

Well, na Joke I dey, no thoughts.
lol
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by gaffig: 1:37pm On Nov 29, 2016
In general, following some people's comment on how they'll just go home if the job is worth 0<salary<50k, in reality they won't, it only takes a deeper thinking to get it right.
Albeit, preparation also helps. I'll advice my mates looking for corporate jobs to try and practice GMAT frequently, it help the mind sharp when it comes to problem solving during recruitment process, I pray and hope one day this country of ours will be in order.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by lonelydora: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2016
LastMumu:
What's with the whole interest in corns and grains? If I were you, I would have asked the recruiter if he was a fowl in his previous life. undecided

lastmumu

I.don't want to call you mumu shaa as your name implies. You cracked me up
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Teespice(f): 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
LastMumu:
What's with the whole interest in corns and grains? If I were you, I would have asked the recruiter if he was a fowl in his previous life. undecided

lastmumu

heheheheheehehe

very funny.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by kedunaija(m): 1:48pm On Nov 29, 2016
instead of all this crime Join ultimate cycler and make 50,000 naira within a week
http://dailygists.com.ng/join-ultimate-cycler-turn-naira-12500-to-5000-within-7-daysultimate-cycler/ Ultimate Cycler Turn Naira 12,500 To 50,00 Within 7 Days
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by IAmOged(f): 1:51pm On Nov 29, 2016
Originalsly:
I'm sure you didn't get the job.... and all those commenting so far would not have either.Five minutes to do what? .... what was presented to you was not to test your Maths but to test your comprehension. You were given five minutes to say how much you want to be paid... not to calculate how many grains of corn would be on the chess board. That was an indirect answer the chess inventor gave.... you could've done the same by saying the same as the pores on the interviewers body... or more appropriately... just give the salary you want.

this is the right answer....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Assessment Test At Workforce / Hope For A Graduate / Dangote 28,000 Job Creation. My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.