Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,133 members, 7,821,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land (2618 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Slay Queen Goes To Farm To Harvest Groundnuts When She’s Not Slaying (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 11:14pm On Nov 26, 2016
Hello all, the corns were planted on September 18,2016 and these pictures were taken 6 days ago.The corns are due for harvest in a few days. Farm size is 4 acres and it's located in Ibadan.So many people counselled me against planting while some predicted doom because the raining season was almost over. I am so elated that the corns did well.

I am however at a dilemma with regards to whether to sell the corn fresh or dry. Experts should please advise me. I want the more profitable option.

Can someone advise on the current selling price of fresh corn per pick up van,bags it cobs?

What is the current price per kg/ ton for dry corn?

2 Likes

Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by Mmoloki(m): 11:21pm On Nov 26, 2016
Congratulations!
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 6:54am On Nov 27, 2016
Mmoloki:
Congratulations!
Thank a lots
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 3:38pm On Nov 27, 2016
Advice guys
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by pamdaniel(m): 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2016
all depends on ur location...
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 4:34pm On Nov 27, 2016
pamdaniel:
all depends on ur location...
ibadan
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by fison(m): 6:14pm On Nov 27, 2016
Well, I had advise you sell afresh, reasons: -you don't pay for harvesting -you don't pay for transporting it -here it is sold @ ₦20 each, sometime, 3 pieces for ₦50 @farm
Harvesting it as at when dry; -you pay to harvest -you pay to de-shell -you pay to de-husk -you pay to transport -here, a kilogram of dry maize is sold for ₦100 NOTE: a congo (rubber scaling) is equivalent to 1½ kilogram (scale) i.e ₦150 -between 11 to 15 corns could make a congo

1 Like

Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks a lot
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 6:39am On Nov 28, 2016
fison:
Well, I had advise you sell afresh, reasons:
-you don't pay for harvesting
-you don't pay for transporting it
-here it is sold @ ₦20 each, sometime, 3 pieces for ₦50 @farm
Harvesting it as at when dry;
-you pay to harvest
-you pay to de-shell
-you pay to de-husk
-you pay to transport
-here, a kilogram of dry maize is sold for ₦100
NOTE: a congo (rubber scaling) is equivalent to 1½ kilogram (scale) i.e ₦150
-between 11 to 15 corns could make a congo
Where is your location please?
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by LucidG(m): 7:45am On Nov 28, 2016
Bros, allow your maize dry and sell as grains.

One thing people overlook is the fact that you loose about %30 of your harvest when you sell as fresh corn.

Reason: they won't all mature at the same time and their size will also not be the same.

For dry maize (save for the very bad ones), you can harvest up to %90 of your crops. This mean more money for you.

The costs involved (harvesting to shelling) varies with location, but I can tell you for free that you'll make more if and when you decide to sell as grain.

Dry Maize is quite expensive around Ibadan now. Sold mine last week and I can tell you it made a lot of sense ! grin

1 Like

Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by pamdaniel(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2016
if it where in the east where lovers of fresh cooked or roasted corn with pear patronize beta I would have advised u to sell fresh... but Ibadan? some part of the north? they have varieties of corn meal... bros leave ur corn to dry and sell the grains... its the surest way this period...
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 9:18am On Nov 28, 2016
LucidG:
One thing people overlook is the fact that you loose about %30 of your harvest when you sell as fresh corn.
Reason: they won't all mature at the same time and their size will also not be the same.
For dry maize (save for the very bad ones), you can harvest up to %90 of your crops. This mean more money for you.
The costs involved (harvesting to shelling) varies with location, but I can tell you for free that you'll make more if and when you decide to sell as grain.
Dry Maize is quite expensive around Ibadan now. Sold mine last week and I can tell you it made a lot of sense ! grin
pamdaniel:
if it where in the east where lovers of fresh cooked or roasted corn with pear patronize beta I would have advised u to sell fresh... but Ibadan? some part of the north? they have varieties of corn meal... bros leave ur corn to dry and sell the grains... its the surest way this period...

Thank you uncles...
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by Momcherry(f): 10:28am On Nov 28, 2016
Don't tell me you'll wait for those fresh looking maize to dry before harvesting cry

Wish I'm close I could have visited that your farm to buy some to prepare my special ukwa and maize delicacy..

Happy sales!
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 10:34am On Nov 28, 2016
cheesy
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 7:43pm On Nov 28, 2016
[quote author=funlover1 post=51443190]
Thank you uncles...[/quote

Pls tell me bros...how did u go about the drying and shelling?
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by shadowid: 10:26pm On Nov 28, 2016
LucidG:

kindly tell me about spacing and how do u deal with birds
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by Successfigure: 5:03am On Nov 29, 2016
Where can i sell dry maize?
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by Successfigure: 5:09am On Nov 29, 2016
Where in ibadan?
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by LucidG(m): 6:42am On Nov 29, 2016
shadowid:
kindly tell me about spacing and how do u deal with birds

Drop your email address. Will forward a document that will answer this question and some more.
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by LucidG(m): 6:44am On Nov 29, 2016
Successfigure:
Where can i sell dry maize?

Drop your email address. Will forward needed info to you.
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by shadowid: 9:09am On Nov 29, 2016
LucidG:

Drop your email address. Will forward a document that will answer this question and some more.
shadowidcloud@gmail.com. Thks bro
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2016
pls send also to : delecaleb@gmail.com
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by adisarasaq(m): 8:15pm On Nov 29, 2016
If you can add value to your maize when it dried then leave it dry, otherwise your best bet is to sell it fresh
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by funlover1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
adisarasaq:
If you can add value to your maize when it dried then leave it dry, otherwise your best bet is to sell it fresh
What kind of value sir? Pls shed more light
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by fison(m): 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
[quote author=funlover1 post=51439213] Where is your location please?
Ekiti State
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by solace89(m): 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2021
LucidG:

Please can you help me with this doc
Re: Take A Look At My Almost -ready-to-harvest Maize On Four Acres Of Land by solace89(m): 9:37pm On Oct 05, 2021
LucidG:

solace89@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Snail Farming Exposed - A Complete Free Guide To Profitable Snail Farming / Foodstuffs Exporting Business: Free Seminar!!! Opportunity Comes But Once!!! / Lucrative Business: Export Of Agricultural Products From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.