Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,221 members, 7,860,405 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:31 AM

Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? (4922 Views)

APC Restructuring Committee Approves Resource Control, State Police, Others / Why Niger Deltans Won't Subscribe To The Biafran Movement / This Post Will Give Niger Deltan Republicans Nightmares posted By Radio Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by oloyede252(m): 1:00pm On Nov 30, 2016
Fremancipation:

You are not GOD. You don't even know what will happen tomorrow in your life talkless for a country as complex as Nigeria whose unity is very fragile and oil dependent.
for sure am not God but it's a fact that a divided Nigeria is a dream. that why I Don't waste energy on an impossible mission better still let find a way to be a better person.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
oloyede252:

for sure am not God but it's a fact that a divided Nigeria is a dream. that why I Don't waste energy on an impossible mission better still let find a way to be a better person.

Nigeria is already divided my friend.

You are mistaking the forced oil-based unity which is enforced by the northernized military's genocidal threat as evidence of unity.

I opened a thread recently and asked a simple question: who is willing to die for one Nigeria if Hausa-Fulani people decide to leave. The thread got more views than responses. One nigerianist like you were no where to be found.

Once again you are not GOD

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by oloyede252(m): 1:41pm On Nov 30, 2016
Fremancipation:

Nigeria is already divided my friend.

You are mistaking the forced oil-based unity which is enforced by the northernized military's genocidal threat as evidence of unity.

I opened a thread recently and asked a simple question: who is willing to die for one Nigeria if Hausa-Fulani people decide to leave. The thread got more views than responses. One nigerianist like you were no where to be found.

Once again you are not GOD

Lol. brother all I can say is keep dreaming. no time to argue
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 30, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Bros I think we are being myopic when we say the Igbos don't really bring much to the table. My believe is their merits outweighs their demerits of us going together. This is why;

First everyone knows what we bring to the table, our resources, land and ports. If we have full control of our resources and lands like they are proposing, we can build our region to the world class standard we dream of, make sure every child of the region have the best education money can afford and make our coasts tourist attractions.

After that, what next? What will our economy be based on when we are done building? Tourism and oil alone like Dubai? The Emirate's look for where to invest their money every day all around the world now that they are done building on a super massive scale.

We can't lie to ourselves and not admit the Igbos are ahead of most Africans when it comes to science and tech or reengineering. If we invest part of our oil proceeds there, we can have a very decent technological hub that none in Africa can rival.

Also Nolloywood, they are already adding a significant part to Naija's economy. They we go together we invest to increase the quality and it will keep adding more to the economy.

Third, our seaports will be a lot busier with them. And thus will lead to more thriving coastal and riverine communities. Also if we decide to get a national carrier "airline", their traveling population will make sure it's a success.

All I'm saying is we should actually look at the merits and demerits with open hearts. I believe if you give the UAE an opportunity to add a technological, nolloywood size movie sector and an increase importing to their economy they will bite your hands off for it. Like you've said and those of us in the region know, we don't hate the Igbo's.

One of the point that validates your post is the theory of demographic economy. A healthy educated Population is money. One of the major reason I will support the points you raised is on the population factor.
South East and South-South combined currently boast of highly educated youthful population. You can virtually find South - Eastern/Southern indigene in all most every corner of this country, especially the South Western region, with Lagos boasting the highest population.
Base on this factor, if the sister region decides to secede together, with proper planning and solid democratic principles as the underlying foundation, she will definitely turn out a global economic power house.

Success is predictable. Whatever technology prowess you see at display today in the South East is purely out of self-motivation. If there is a deliberate support by any responsible government, it will unquestionably grow into a strong industry that can compete with other industrial nations. In that case, South – South do also stand to gain in the long run in the case of technology transfer. (As you stated in your post)

An educated population breeds competition. A healthy competition equals merit and if merit is given priority, then development will naturally flow. This is what the current system lacks, which is one the major reason behind her setback. If South East/South choose to become one country, a healthy competitive economic hub will be built this part of the globe. Imagine what will the fate of cities like Port Harcourt, Warri, Asaba, Onicha, Aba, Uyo, Calabar etc. Igbos in diaspora are eager to return home and invest...... a win win situation for all.....

But the South – South region, should also bear in mind that crude oil cannot serve as the sole bedrock of a thriving economy. Igbos wants to build a nation that is purely knowledge and tech base driven. South East do also have abundant resources, but we believe that the highest resources any nation can boast of lies beneath the cranium……

I’ll love to see the region unite to form a formidable force that will initiate modern African renaissance. However, this may be far from reality, judging by what is on ground…. Should the two region decides to slot it out together or separately, trust must be given a priority….

This rejoinder is in complete support of your position. However, the need to build a solid bridge of trust between the two region is very crucial now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2016
LordAdam:

You make valid points, and certainly when the time comes for a split, I believe there'd be a lot of discourse about the merits and demerits of joining Biafra or staying on our own in the ND. Everyone will bring their opinion and in the end hopefully a referendum or body of educated and influential Niger Deltans comprehensively representing every interest in the SS will make the choice.

For the moment tho', you should know that in spite of any shortcoming, any country that wants to become developed will be able to do so.

The fact is that, no matter how well we structure Biafra for the sake of equality, the states that form the present day Niger Delta will always play second fiddle to the core SE states. The UK revolves around England. Trinidad and Tobago revolves around Trinidad. Bosnia and Herzegovina revolved around Bosnia. I could keep going.

You mentioned science, tech, and engineering as their strong suit. That is not a fact to be argued, but it doesn't mean we can't play catch-up. Especially since we have the credible tertiary institutions, the money, and a rising number of educated people. Of course, we wouldn't really get to their point, but we don't have to. And if we have to invest our money, it's easy, the NDR will have a sovereign fund. Saudi Arabia, China, Norway, UAE each have funds with Billions of dollars that they invest in tech companies from the US to Estonia and even Kenya.

The same tech hub that can be cited in Nnewi or Aba can be cited in PH or Warri.

About Nollywood, there would not be Nollywood once Nigeria splits. It'd be a competition between Lagos in Oduduwa, Abuja in the Arewa, and Enugu in the Biafra. Of course we could stay with Biafra and try to improve the quality of Ndigbowood or whatever it'd be called then, but I really don't see how that helps us. Whether we stay or not, the SE would make it top quality.

And about the seaport, we don't need to stay in the same country with them to make them use our ports more. Netherlands is a really small country but handle the chunk of the world's shipping. All we have to do in NDR is make our ports world-class and compete with the already established ports in the SW (Oduduwa). Since we already have oil money we can slash rates, invest big in our ports, increase capacities, and give the SW a run for their money, not just for the Biafra but for Arewa, the rest of West Africa and East Africa. The Igbos are capitalists, they'd do business at our ports if we give them a good deal, it doesn't matter whether we are Niger Deltans, Fulanis or even Aliens.

I know I'm sounding a little too confident or may remotely pass off as cocky. But the Igbos and many of the Ethnic groups in the SS are egotistic and from where I sit, I don't think the relationship will be as fluidic as the proposed Biafra (with SS as a part of it) will be.

And what we would actually bring are resources (oil, land, access to coastal ports...) not exactly money or talent or anything else, they've got much of those. In my opinion, I'd rather we be a Qatar (or UAE) than a Scotland.

Of course, these are my humble submissions and not representative of the entire SS region. When the time comes, we'd have a more concrete discussion in-house about the merits and demerits of a Biafra instead of a NDR (although I think that ship sailed when agitation for NDR started).

-Lord

Yes we all know that one of the first fear of every non-Igbo is domination. However, going by history Igbo have never and will never any dominate group. The Igbo nation have been known over the century to absorbed the practice and culture of their immediate non-Igbo speaking groups. Example, some part of Delta Igbo today tend to display Benin cultural influence.

There is no way ND cities will play second fiddle to South East cities based on the proposed structure. If ND cities control their resources and have almost 80% control of their political system, tell me how their cities will not be developed. If they fail to develop their cities, then the fault is theirs.

The seaport politics is a strong one. The Nigerian and Lagos politics is a case study in this scenario. If in one country with the ND, the Igbos will be patriotically forced to use the ND ports. But if in separate countries, they could look for an alternative route, and that will definitely mean a drop in revenue from particular block. This scenario could be very dynamic.

When you talk about fluidic relationship, I think that is already in existence. There have never been any case of clash or conflict between the Igbos and their closest neighbors, e.g the Eastern Ijaws, Annang, Efik or even the Ibiobios . We have co-existed for years, inter-married and done businesses together without any problem. So where is your fear stemming from.

If you want to root your argument on politics, going by what IPOB and MASSOB have been proposing, the center of the new nation will be very weak…. This simply translate to the fact that the Ijaw man will be more politically at home in his region than he will be in the center. Because he wields more power at home than when he is at the center. Though this might be very abstract for now, however, I believe that South East/South will never clash as result of political reason, from what you are inferring.
The underlying factor of mis-trust for the Igboman by other ethnic group is born out of fear. Fear that easily sold on the platter of Nigerian system of divide and rule. See the Igboman as your fellow human that is an excessive hustler then you begin to see someone to appreciate and partner with.
If there is a split, I don’t think Nollywood will be changed to Biafrawood, assuming ND becomes one with Biafra. I believe a more encompassing name will come to play. A successful movie industry is not restricted to a specific region, it’s a global thing. Good and salable movie is not done by population, but skill, knowledge and good salesmanship
On the aspect of technology, yes you may have the resources to catch up, but you should also understand that you play the best when featured in your natural. I see the ND people more politically natural, while the South East is naturally inclined to industry and commerce. In that case, if you try to play a catch up, it will take you time and resources. Combining both forces will benefit the regions both in the short and long run.
ND people should drop their fear of Igbo domination. Its nonexistence. From my understanding, the Igboman wants peace within his borders and the ability to explore his God given talent. Not political dominance or land-grabbing as some of you do insinuate. #myOpinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2016
blues2022:

One of the point that validates your post is the theory of demographic economy. A healthy educated Population is money. One of the major reason I will support the points you raised is on the population factor.
South East and South-South combined currently boast of highly educated youthful population. You can virtually find South - Eastern/Southern indigene in all most every corner of this country, especially the South Western region, with Lagos boasting the highest population.
Base on this factor, if the sister region decides to secede together, with proper planning and solid democratic principles as the underlying foundation, she will definitely turn out a global economic power house.

Success is predictable. Whatever technology prowess you see at display today in the South East is purely out of self-motivation. If there is a deliberate support by any responsible government, it will unquestionably grow into a strong industry that can compete with other industrial nations. In that case, South – South do also stand to gain in the long run in the case of technology transfer. (As you stated in your post)

An educated population breeds competition. A healthy competition equals merit and if merit is given priority, then development will naturally flow. This is what the current system lacks, which is one the major reason behind her setback. If South East/South choose to become one country, a healthy competitive economic hub will be built this part of the globe. Imagine what will the fate of cities like Port Harcourt, Warri, Asaba, Onicha, Aba, Uyo, Calabar etc. Igbos in diaspora are eager to return home and invest...... a win win situation for all.....

But the South – South region, should also bear in mind that crude oil cannot serve as the sole bedrock of a thriving economy. Igbos wants to build a nation that is purely knowledge and tech base driven. South East do also have abundant resources, but we believe that the highest resources any nation can boast of lies beneath the cranium……

I’ll love to see the region unite to form a formidable force that will initiate modern African renaissance. However, this may be far from reality, judging by what is on ground…. Should the two region decides to slot it out together or separately, trust must be given a priority….

This rejoinder is in complete support of your position. However, the need to build a solid bridge of trust between the two region is very crucial now.

Well articulated response

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2016
blues2022:

Yes we all know that one of the first fear of every non-Igbo is domination. However, going by history Igbo have never and will never any dominate group. The Igbo nation have been known over the century to absorbed the practice and culture of their immediate non-Igbo speaking groups. Example, some part of Delta Igbo today tend to display Benin cultural influence.

There is no way ND cities will play second fiddle to South East cities based on the proposed structure. If ND cities control their resources and have almost 80% control of their political system, tell me how their cities will not be developed. If they fail to develop their cities, then the fault is theirs.

The seaport politics is a strong one. The Nigerian and Lagos politics is a case study in this scenario. If in one country with the ND, the Igbos will be patriotically forced to use the ND ports. But if in separate countries, they could look for an alternative route, and that will definitely mean a drop in revenue from particular block. This scenario could be very dynamic.

When you talk about fluidic relationship, I think that is already in existence. There have never been any case of clash or conflict between the Igbos and their closest neighbors, e.g the Eastern Ijaws, Annang, Efik or even the Ibiobios . We have co-existed for years, inter-married and done businesses together without any problem. So where is your fear stemming from.

If you want to root your argument on politics, going by what IPOB and MASSOB have been proposing, the center of the new nation will be very weak…. This simply translate to the fact that the Ijaw man will be more politically at home in his region than he will be in the center. Because he wields more power at home than when he is at the center. Though this might be very abstract for now, however, I believe that South East/South will never clash as result of political reason, from what you are inferring.
The underlying factor of mis-trust for the Igboman by other ethnic group is born out of fear. Fear that easily sold on the platter of Nigerian system of divide and rule. See the Igboman as your fellow human that is an excessive hustler then you begin to see someone to appreciate and partner with.
If there is a split, I don’t think Nollywood will be changed to Biafrawood, assuming ND becomes one with Biafra. I believe a more encompassing name will come to play. A successful movie industry is not restricted to a specific region, it’s a global thing. Good and salable movie is not done by population, but skill, knowledge and good salesmanship
On the aspect of technology, yes you may have the resources to catch up, but you should also understand that you play the best when featured in your natural. I see the ND people more politically natural, while the South East is naturally inclined to industry and commerce. In that case, if you try to play a catch up, it will take you time and resources. Combining both forces will benefit the regions both in the short and long run.
ND people should drop their fear of Igbo domination. Its nonexistence. From my understanding, the Igboman wants peace within his borders and the ability to explore his God given talent. Not political dominance or land-grabbing as some of you do insinuate. #myOpinion.

Once again impressive.

One central mordern port in southern Abia state can serve the whole Biafran nation just like one port in Lagos is serving the whole Nigeria. That's assuming that bonny and opobo people choose niger delta republic over Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Cjrane2: 12:07am On Dec 01, 2016
Nigeria is a fraudulent enterprise thar only exists because it provides excuse to rob the Niger delta on a mind blowing scale.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by ShootToKill: 5:01am On Dec 01, 2016
Ngozi123:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I wish I could give you 1000 likes for this phrase alone...

As for this thread, it is indeed interesting to see how many so called 'Niger Deltans' are posting in this thread. There was a similar thread created a few days ago targeted at Niger Deltans but it was focused on Biafra and it's almost 100 pages now... Anyway, as long as they don't include the Igbos indigenous to the South-South region in their future plans then I don't really care what they do undecided.

You mean that thread invaded by 'we SS' dirty and stinky Afonjas wey God don punish.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Izonpikin: 5:16am On Dec 01, 2016
Yyeske:
Let the so called niger deltans explain how they spent the money given to them in the past.

13% allocations
NDDC
Ministry of Niger Delta
FEC allocations and a host of others.

Most still own workers, huge debts, virtually no infrastructure and most of them are lazy.

After funding your militants and corrupt leaders from deve touts to your governors and you realize nothing left you now want more, una never ready.
let me help you rephrase your useless question...

What has your own barren leaders done with monies given to them all their lives from the niger delta

You should be ashamed of yourself... undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by ceaz4r(m): 7:50am On Dec 01, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Bros I think we are being myopic when we say the Igbos don't really bring much to the table. My believe is their merits outweighs their demerits of us going together. This is why;

First everyone knows what we bring to the table, our resources, land and ports. If we have full control of our resources and lands like they are proposing, we can build our region to the world class standard we dream of, make sure every child of the region have the best education money can afford and make our coasts tourist attractions.

After that, what next? What will our economy be based on when we are done building? Tourism and oil alone like Dubai? The Emirate's look for where to invest their money every day all around the world now that they are done building on a super massive scale.

We can't lie to ourselves and not admit the Igbos are ahead of most Africans when it comes to science and tech or reengineering. If we invest part of our oil proceeds there, we can have a very decent technological hub that none in Africa can rival.

Also Nolloywood, they are already adding a significant part to Naija's economy. They we go together we invest to increase the quality and it will keep adding more to the economy.

Third, our seaports will be a lot busier with them. And thus will lead to more thriving coastal and riverine communities. Also if we decide to get a national carrier "airline", their traveling population will make sure it's a success.

All I'm saying is we should actually look at the merits and demerits with open hearts. I believe if you give the UAE an opportunity to add a technological, nolloywood size movie sector and an increase importing to their economy they will bite your hands off for it. Like you've said and those of us in the region know, we don't hate the Igbo's.

Bros, what's your brand..? I wish people like you will make up the negotiation committee on Self determination from your place as discussions go on.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by tck2000(m): 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2019
one day
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by mrvitalis(m): 3:32pm On Sep 05, 2019
Yyeske:
Let the so called niger deltans explain how they spent the money given to them in the past.

13% allocations
NDDC
Ministry of Niger Delta
FEC allocations and a host of others.

Most still own workers, huge debts, virtually no infrastructure and most of them are lazy.

After funding your militants and corrupt leaders from deve touts to your governors and you realize nothing left you now want more, una never ready.
Is it your money ? Who asked u how u spent the gold and lead money in the north ? All the money donated to north east how did u spend it

Are u nature that gave them the oil ? If the oil is in your place would u say the same ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Iamgrey5(m): 3:44pm On Sep 05, 2019
galeiiTNA:

As long as the 3 zones work together, even the core north will never have 2/3 majority
Who are the people in the North central Zone?

You think you can run away from the other two major tribe in Nigeria to achieve your goal in Nigeria?

Kwara is North central state with Yoruba majority with two Yoruba senators out of three all the time

Niger state has Nupe and Hausas

Even Kogi has decent percentage of Yourubas and Igalas will always support the North. Has a yoruba senator

Benue maybe

Platuea state not likely eventhough are Christains

Taraba highly unlikely eventhough they are Christains

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is it true that the whole of the South west is smaller than Niger state? / Edo Election: GBASGBOS! This TVC Reporter Made Mockery Of Himself / US Bans Citizens From Travelling To 12 Nigerian States (see Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.