Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 (26072 Views)

Abuja Hospital In Search Of Relatives Of An Unconscious Accident Patient (Photo) / Baby Falls From Abuja Hospital’s Top Floor, Dies / Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by DonTim1: 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2016
heard on it my way home last night on radio, someone was even claiming hospitals have "process", i wonder if it is in justification for abandoning the accident victim or what
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by mriyesecnerwal(m): 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2016
Nigeria is just a joke. So because of 1k left they refused him treatment. That man sef try if you shout well dem go treat you asap!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by TheArchangel(f): 2:05pm On Nov 29, 2016
The hospital management makes stewpid policies that does not favor people and hide in their offices waiting for the proceeds but when it backfires they spew out statements indicting and hanging their foot soldiers out to dry. Bunch of useless bureaucrats.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by TheArchangel(f): 2:07pm On Nov 29, 2016
mriyesecnerwal:
Nigeria is just a joke. So because of 1k left they refused him treatment. That man sef try if you shout well dem go treat you asap!
Nobody will touch him cos the stewpid policy is coming from higher ups. If you touch it will be deducted from your salary and you keep on doing it till month end and you will go home empty handed and hungry.
Fv.cked up situation.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by fkdmods: 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
simplyOJ:
Pathetic.... Quite unfortunate the level our hospitals have degenerated to. Their response is always:
"We don't run a charity organization". Why not treat first and hold him "hostage" until
the bill is settled

The funny part is that if the patient unfortunately dies, they hurriedly convey the body to their morgue, and
the bill automatically starts counting while they wait for the relations of the dead to show up.

Its high time they are reminded of the oath they swore to keep.

My bro, that is not how normal people and countries do things. Keyword here is "normal". You don't treat someone in a hospital and then hold them hostage. The hospital is not a charitable organization. They exist to make money from their services. If they did what you are suggesting for every tod dic.k and harry, they would go bankrupt. You all need to start exploring the civilized world to see how normal people do things. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by mriyesecnerwal(m): 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
TheArchangel:
Nobody will touch him cos the stewpid policy is coming from higher ups. If you touch it will be deducted from your salary and you keep on doing it till month end and you will go home empty handed and hungry.
Fv.cked up situation.

I know the policy is coming from the up but people have died because of that. He should have been treated then locked till someone come and pay the remaining 1k.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Jakasibo(m): 2:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
This is the height of wickedness, where is our conscience for christ sake?

1 Like

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by oluxy(m): 2:17pm On Nov 29, 2016
Nurses , doctors don't have flesh as heart but of stone even stronger than that of pheroah.

But if its promis*********ness, hahahaha! They are very good at it.
If u have a nurse as a g/f, hmmmmm!
This is what will happen:
Gloria the nurse girl: hello Steven
You-steven: yes babeeee! Tsup, I miss much of u

Gloria: I'm fine n thanks. Pls I just wanna inform u DT, I don't think we should continue with this relationship any longer
Steven: why and what happened?
Gloria: pls I can't talk further, I have shift now and am already dressed and set to leave the house. Tkia.

That'll b the end of it but after three days;
Three days later and after much calls to her she will WhatsApp u.

Gloria: hi! How are u doing. I just want to check on u. Am sorry for the sudden and short notice. Just that I can't continue anymore. God will bring to ur path the lady that will love u more than I do.
Then as d week runs, she'd be checking if ur hrt has healed.

grin

No offence to nurses n dr
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by TheArchangel(f): 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2016
mriyesecnerwal:

I know the policy is coming from the up but people have died because of that. He should have been treated then locked till someone come and pay the remaining 1k.
Treated with what? Do you know how government hospitals work? Patients buys their drugs and if you can't afford to buy, you pay upfront....
.I know embarassed ..it is a stewpid ass policy that has claimed more lives. A lot needs to be done ...i swear.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Sagbabarin: 2:24pm On Nov 29, 2016
mezynaija:
An accident victim, James Omase, was reportedly refused medical attention for three hours on Saturday by the Kubwa General Hospital, Abuja over his inability to pay a N3, 500 bill, reports Punchng.

Omase, 20, was taken to the hospital around 6pm but the medical personnel refused to attend to him until around 9pm, when his employer showed up and paid the bill. He was riding a motorcycle along Arab Road, Kubwa, when another rider rammed into him, causing him to fall and sustain injuries.

The victim, who worked as a security guard in a residential building, lost two teeth and also sustained an injury on his upper lips, had bruises on his head, right upper arm and on both hands.

Omase said, “I was on the ground in pains and people were passing by, nobody volunteered to take me to the hospital. It was a friend who saw me lying along the road, that took me to the hospital. But when I got there, the nurses said they won’t attend to me until I paid N3,500 for treatment. .

I told them I had N2,500 but they refused to accept it or attend to me. I was lying on a bench in pains for many hours. It was a neighbour, who learnt that I was involved in an accident, that went to inform my employers, who came to the hospital around 9pm and paid the money before I was treated.”

The acting Secretary, FCT Hospital Management Board, Mrs. Alice Odey-Achu, expressed disappointment over the conduct of the nurses, saying their action was unacceptable.

Source: http://www.jtownconnect.com/2016/11/abuja-hospital-abandons-accident-victim.html
It's a pathetic case. However, I think the solution to this recurrent issue is having a holistic approach. There should be a system where any hospital that offers such emergency services is promptly paid, even where the injured can't afford it. #3,500 today, 10k tomorrow 50k the other day, the hospital ll surely run down if there are no
mechanism in place. This is even aggravated by the fact that the same people ll complained that they are being detained when the hospital try to get their money. Guess what? We ll still be here blaming the hospital for detaining people who refused to pay.
Finally, and a repetition, we need a system of health care that ensures people get paid for emergency services

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by ogunsj: 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2016
berrystunn:
Buhari free health care.

Lie and scam, they are Twins
if not that you are not sane, will buhari put sense of humanity in a medical practitioner whose oath of office is to save life. do you know what is called "milk of human kindness "?
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Annibiteye: 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2016
simplyOJ:
Pathetic.... Quite unfortunate the level our hospitals have degenerated to. Their response is always:
"We don't run a charity organization". Why not treat first and hold him "hostage" until
the bill is settled.

The funny part is that if the patient unfortunately dies, they hurriedly convey the body to their morgue, and
the bill automatically starts counting while they wait for the relations of the dead to show up.

Its high time they are reminded of the oath they swore to keep.

So pathetic indeed, and they'll still claim their profession is noble. Noble for mouth but wickedness in action
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by mriyesecnerwal(m): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2016
TheArchangel:
Treated with what? Do you know how government hospitals work? Patients buys their drugs and if you can't afford to buy, you pay upfront....
.I know embarassed ..it is a stewpid ass policy that has claimed more lives. A lot needs to be done ...i swear.

Most hospitals need better policy. He even had money not that he wanted free treatment. May God help them
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Adaezemum(f): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2016
9ja
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Almand: 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2016
Being poor in this country is very dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by justjify(m): 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2016
mezynaija:
An accident victim, James Omase, was reportedly refused medical attention for three hours on Saturday by the Kubwa General Hospital, Abuja over his inability to pay a N3, 500 bill, reports Punchng.

Omase, 20, was taken to the hospital around 6pm but the medical personnel refused to attend to him until around 9pm, when his employer showed up and paid the bill. He was riding a motorcycle along Arab Road, Kubwa, when another rider rammed into him, causing him to fall and sustain injuries.

The victim, who worked as a security guard in a residential building, lost two teeth and also sustained an injury on his upper lips, had bruises on his head, right upper arm and on both hands.

Omase said, “I was on the ground in pains and people were passing by, nobody volunteered to take me to the hospital. It was a friend who saw me lying along the road, that took me to the hospital. But when I got there, the nurses said they won’t attend to me until I paid N3,500 for treatment. .

I told them I had N2,500 but they refused to accept it or attend to me. I was lying on a bench in pains for many hours. It was a neighbour, who learnt that I was involved in an accident, that went to inform my employers, who came to the hospital around 9pm and paid the money before I was treated.”

The acting Secretary, FCT Hospital Management Board, Mrs. Alice Odey-Achu, expressed disappointment over the conduct of the [size=14pt]nurses[/size], saying their action was unacceptable.

Source: http://www.jtownconnect.com/2016/11/abuja-hospital-abandons-accident-victim.html

Nope I refuse to call the nurses, they are witches angry angry
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by citadels(f): 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2016
GOD help us in this dirty country.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by berrystunn(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2016
ogunsj:
if not that you are not sane, will buhari put sense of humanity in a medical practitioner whose oath of office is to save life. do you know what is called "milk of human kindness "?

Kindness will pay the bill?

1 Like

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by buffalowings: 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2016
berrystunn:

Kindness will pay the bill?

Don't mind these mofos.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by buffalowings: 3:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
Acidosis:
I won't be quick to blame the Doctors knowing that they don't eat sand and dust.

They have bills to pay..

What we should be asking is, do government make provisions for accident victims?

Our Doctors must not beg to eat in the name of working for free. It is a government hospital, and as such, government is to blame.

Just to enlighten some ignorant and hypocrite minds. There is something they call inventory in business. Would you, as an employee, misuse your company's stock to cure an accident victim, knowing that you stand the risk of being sacked, and dying of starvation at the end?

There is absolutely nothing an ordinary employee (staff) can do about it. Blame the government for a non existing and poorly managed policy for emergency/accident cases.

Thank you for giving these guys some sense
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by buffalowings: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Useless country.
Sometimes to get ordinary latex gloves na problem.
Na one yeye mng come dey say make we dey use nylon gloves

Not me.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by lurdkriss: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2016
Just pray u don't have any reason to go to any of these government hospitals, the nurses there will kill u faster than wat ever it is dat took u there with there stinking attitude.

They are supposed to be saving lives buh trust me, they don't care bout ur life undecided
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Akinaukwa: 3:33pm On Nov 29, 2016
Abuja is a place where an accident victim is on his/her own. People who come around only succeed in taking pictures of the wounded/dead for posting on facebook and whatsapp. The hospital itself is another terrible place, if no money in your pocket just begin to pray for God to divinely intervene and keep you alive. And yet, one of the ethics of the profession is to save lives first. Okay!!!
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2016
ever since I started watching Hollywood movie, I hv never seen an emergency case going 2ru rigorous processes they do subject people to here in Nigeria, rather u will see nurses and doctors rushing to save life 1st, but in Nigeria, over half of patients dies in the hospital and find their way into the mortuary due to lack of humanity on the side of health care Practitioners ,that rather treat humans like cadavers,they used to experiment with in their school days,
So pathetic, they are only after money, NMA/Dental,min of health need to address this ugly menace in our health sector.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by 4nobody4every1: 3:56pm On Nov 29, 2016
sad sad sad sad
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by checkout50: 4:22pm On Nov 29, 2016
Oh, how I wish I was there to help out. God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by somadina55(m): 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2016
though hospitals ar not a charity organization, their mean aim should be to save life first instead of this pay before service... it won't help us...because we don't no situation u might find yourself tomorrow....... we at all humans with conscience. kissthough hospitals ar not a charity organization, their mean aim should be to save life first instead of this pay before service... it won't help us...because we don't no situation u might find yourself tomorrow....... we at all humans with conscience.
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by armadeo(m): 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2016
zeribe4real:
ever since I started watching Hollywood movie, I hv never seen an emergency case going 2ru rigorous processes they do subject people to here in Nigeria, rather u will see nurses and doctors rushing to save life 1st, but in Nigeria, over half of patients dies in the hospital and find their way into the mortuary due to lack of humanity on the side of health care Practitioners ,that rather treat humans like cadavers,they used to experiment with in their school days,
So pathetic, they are only after money, NMA/Dental,min of health need to address this ugly menace in our health sector.

Those are films. If you don't have insurance you get tossed out on your ass. they even know hence theybdont bother going to the hospital without insurance.

The key word in this case is insurance. When we have proper insurance services this type of tale would end.

Once you show your insurance number and its.confirmed, you get treated asap. No time for many questions.

But would Nigerians pay for health insurance. No they won't. They would rather gamble with thier lives and blame the hospitals when they are rejected without.cash.

A good health insurance scheme is what's needed.

Another problem that woukd arise in Nigeria is the fact that Those who pay and don't get sick would consider it A waste not knowimgnthey paid Someone to.bear thier.risk.

It is well

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by dangotesmummy: 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2016
Smh. I just taya for the way we treat each other in this part of the world

I'm sure some of the doctors and nurses Will claim they're good Christians or Muslims
Re: Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 by HashtagMoniker(m): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2016
I thought they say they used to swear one yeye oath like that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa / International Condom Day 2020: 3 In 10 Nigerians Use Condom Regularly / Tanzania’s Conjoined Twins, Handicapped Heroes, Die At 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.