Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! (9074 Views)

Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% / What Will African Economies Do Once The Dollar And The Euro Collapse? / What Will African Economies Do Once The Dollar And The Euro Collapse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by Decryptor(m): 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2009
Guys, i got the shocker of my life today. I heard some months back that Ghana's economy has improved tremendously. I didn't know to what extent though, only for me to check their exchange rate and guess what? It is $1 to 1.8 cedis. Imagine Ghana of yesterday when you would need to spend about 50,000cedis to eat breakfast and billions to buy a tokunbo car. Chei!!! This is a big lesson for Nigeria!!!
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by Ibime(m): 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2009
Yeah, thats because they knocked off a few zero's off the back of their currency like Zimbabwe.

1 Like

Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by RSA(m): 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2009
Decryptor:

Guys, i got the shocker of my life today. I heard some months back that Ghana's economy has improved tremendously. I didn't know to what extent though, only for me to check their exchange rate and guess what? It is $1 to 1.8 cedis. Imagine Ghana of yesterday when you would need to spend about 50,000cedis to eat breakfast and billions to buy a tokunbo car. Chei!!! This is a big lesson for Nigeria!!!

If that means your yesterday cedis(the one you paid your breakfast with) are now close to 40 000 US dollar then indeed Ghana's economy is doing very very well,but if your yesterday 50000cedis is called old money and worth 5 new cedi then don't get too excited.So which one?
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by jaybee3(m): 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2009
na wa oh grin grin
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by MandingoII(m): 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2009
you are aware that they BORROWED

$900 MILLION dollars from the IMF/World Bank.

If they default (and they probably will) their currency will PLUNDGE to the depths of hell and the poor Ghanian people will be scrambling in the street.
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 13, 2009
@poster

You just noticed?

They devalue their currency since January 2008  undecided

The cedis was stronger than the US Dollar then, it was ratio 500cedis - 475USD.

I was there, it's just simple logic, everything still remains the same::::

That doesn't mean you will be able to get job easily or people won't migrate to abroad,

That is what Soludo wanted to do in Nigeria:::

De-valuating the countries currency doesn't make it a better place, it just make the currency strong, transactions easier and reduces money inflation.

Also economy growth gradually but it will take a lot of time
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by Lwandle(m): 3:21pm On Nov 13, 2009
Goodness me how can DEVALUEING something make it STRONGER

Is that not a first class contradiction?

DEVALUEING makes your currency WEAKER full stop!!!

Ghana has been chopping of zeros from their currency the last time they removed 3zeros I think about 3 years ago!

REVALUEING your currency on the other hand makes transactions easier and reduces the amount of useless paper floating around!

It does not make any impact economically or anywhere else except in my above sentence!
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by misterh(m): 8:05pm On Apr 14, 2010
That is a growing economy, not like the regressing one like ,
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by deb(m): 6:06am On Feb 20, 2013
Ignorance can actually kill... Stop deceiving yourself and your Ghana fans.
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by igbo2011(m): 5:39am On Feb 21, 2013
It is overvalued. This is bad from an economic stadpoint. If things channge then thre will be a huge economic effect. What if imf does austerity? It will be bad.
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by gst101: 10:58pm On Feb 21, 2013
people like the poster are the ones who come here and bring down nigeria and raise other people to the point they are not. Dont get me wrong. Ghana can be what ever it wants be but we shouldnt go about exibiting an embarrasing level of ignorance.
Re: Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! by panafrican(m): 7:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
stronger national currency in the midst of a non -competitive national economy can badly hurt.

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Implements Electronic Tracking-System For Women / Go, Mugabe, Go - By Reuben Abati / BOMBSHELL! Email Shows Joe Biden Met With Ukrainian Businessman While He Was VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.