Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% (24077 Views)

Angola, Hit By Collapse Of Oil Prices, Seeks IMF Aid / Ghana Finally Runs To IMF For Financial Aid As Economy Crumbles - BBC / Ghana's Cedi Is Now Almost Equivalent To The Dollar! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by postmann: 10:13pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ghanaian cedi now one of the world’s worst- performing currencies; country looks to IMF for salvation .

Ghana is hoping for financial aid from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to help strengthen its currency after the cedi fell 40% against the US dollar, making it one of the world’s worst-performing currencies.

“Ghana, once seen as a shining example of economic strength in the region, is also struggling with high inflation,” says a BBC report.

The report recalls that the West African country last went to the IMF for help in 2009, when it secured a $600m three-year aid package.

“Despite being a major exporter of gold, oil and cocoa, Ghana is struggling with large current account and budget deficits,” says BBC.

The country’s finance minister had last week told the BBC that the country would fix its currency problems itself and only go to the IMF as a last resort.

“Many experts see the decision to go to the IMF as the first admission by the government that the economy is in bad shape,” says the report. “Commentators said the move would force the government to take stronger action to tackle rising deficits and inflation.”

Leading financial analyst Razia Khan of Standard Chartered Bank is quoted as saying: “An IMF programme is likely to give to investors that additional level of confidence that fiscal consolidation might be pursued more seriously. However, news of potential talks with the IMF is unlikely to be enough, on its own, to make a meaningful difference to the cedi just yet.”

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=6893

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by seunlayi(m): 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
notwithstanding, they still enjoy a steady economy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by eunisam: 10:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
if Ghana will meet up with the IMF conditionalities. Anyway may God help Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by bercarray(m): 10:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
that is,nigeria's money is still better than theirs,so wit dat,are we better than them? If no,then ds information or ds thread shd i say,is useless

7 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by postmann: 10:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
seunlayi:
having the world's worst currency, applying to IMF for an economic bailout.....how does this transcend into a steady economy? This is the second time in 5 years the cointry is running to IMF. READ MAN, READ.

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
The mistake ghana made is to think that following IMF scripts would lead to economic prosperity. They should have asked IBB.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
seunlayi:
For how long will that last? My friend you guys better start fixing your economy and fire whoever is your Central Bank Governor. Its just a brotherly advice from a concerned Nigerian

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
postmann:
having the world's worst currency, applying to IMF for an economic bailout.....how does this transcend into a steady economy? This is the second time in 5 years the cointry is running to IMF. READ MAN, READ.
Some people don't understand these things

9 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by nigerianvenom(m): 11:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
seunlayi:

pls explain how

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 11:24pm On Nov 03, 2014
dcaliph:
The mistake ghana made is to think that following IMF scripts would lead to economic prosperity. They should have asked IBB.

Seriously.. U have little idea or no idea on what is going on
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Kemy11(m): 11:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
May. B we should loan madam Okonjo to them

17 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
iamord:

Seriously.. U have little idea or no idea on what is going on
Do educate me.
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 11:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
Kemy11:
May. B we should loan madam Okonjo to them

U need her more

1 Like

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 11:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
dcaliph:

Do educate me.

I don't have the strength to be typing over and over again..u can Check my post on www.nairaland.com/1966823/p-downgrades-ghana-cedi-junk

1 Like

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 04, 2014
iamord:

I don't have the strength to be typing over and over again..u can Check my post on www.nairaland.com/1966823/p-downgrades-ghana-cedi-junk

You made good points and i agree with most of them. I still think that ghana taking IMF advises is one of the major problems. IMF agender is anti-Africa, they always encourage borrow, remove subsidy and they roll out deceiptive statistic. Thats what they did to Nigeria during IBB era.
Running to IMF again for help would not help. Ghana should solve the problem internally.

7 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by osile2012: 12:18am On Nov 04, 2014
dcaliph:

You made good points and i agree with most of them. I still think that ghana taking IMF advises is one of the major problems. IMF agender is anti-Africa, they always encourage borrow, remove subsidy and they roll out deceiptive statistic. Thats what they did to Nigeria during IBB era.
Running to IMF again for help would not help. Ghana should solve the problem internally.

Thats their only option for now. It can only get worse if they dont get the bailout which will afford them some time to plan on how to fix things.
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by smithsammy(m): 5:47am On Nov 04, 2014
seunlayi:
so you can still translate that to a better and steady economy? You need to take some nap I guess.

4 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 04, 2014
IMF finances is what I call the 'Devil's Own Loan'.

Ghana may never shake it off in decades to come.

7 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by goldfish80(m): 7:06am On Nov 04, 2014
Instead of taking the high road to IMF, Ghana would be better off getting in touch with Emeka Okonkwo (E money) or Davido's father for the $600 million loan.

14 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by ichidodo: 7:09am On Nov 04, 2014
Ghana should save themselves the trouble and devalue their currency like Japan for instance...

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 7:32am On Nov 04, 2014
blizard44:
IMF finances is what I call the 'Devil's Own Loan'.

Ghana may never shake it off in decades to come.

Oh yes! Ghana will. Things are stabilizing compared to the year beginning.. To bad its easier to see the negatives
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 8:06am On Nov 04, 2014
dcaliph:

Well one thing is that at the moment what ever the government is doing is in the best interest of saving the country. And imf is not exempted to africa alone. Greece , iceland , ireland , Portugal all applied for a bail out. And portugal made a clean exit from the program when they got up on their feet.. So we should not always get freaked out at the sound of “IMF” ..rather than always look at western powers as always trying to destabilize our economies .why don't we look within to see how we are getting it wrong .. Did imf tell u to steal?.. Not to build good institution?.. Not to plan So we are the real imf.. Our own enemies.. Asides that things are expected to stable as soon as the gas plant comes up.. Of which its ready for commissioning this month

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by iamord(m): 8:10am On Nov 04, 2014
ichidodo:
Ghana should save themselves the trouble and devalue their currency like Japan for instance...

The problem is not the re domination ooo

1 Like

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Lilimax(f): 8:10am On Nov 04, 2014
***I was here*** grin
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 04, 2014
Arghhhhhhh!!!! Nigerian juju is working!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by sakaguchi(m): 8:47am On Nov 04, 2014
R
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 04, 2014
masonkz:
Arghhhhhhh!!!! Nigerian juju is working!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin
hehehehhe... no be small thing!

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by ichidodo: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2014
iamord:

iamord:

Devaluing the currency will help make exports cheaper thereby increasing foriegn demand inaddition to boosting local-production,employment and house-hold incomes.Even in a trade-by-barter system,the economy is stronger when exports exceed imports how much less a cedis based system.But with the re-domination or 'artificially' pegging the currency close to the dollar without requisite social,financial and infrastructural platforms to buff the currency as unscrupulous hedgefunds obtain that 'artifcial leverage' to pursue dollars,exports have become expensive with reduced foriegn demand and local production..There is trouble when house-hold incomes are reduced significantly with goods and services relatively expensive and businnesses suffering losses as a result of reduced patronage.Not devaluing the currency at this stage is like blowing up a ballon watchin when it will go bust...Ghana's ballon is due for an economic bust...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by egift(m): 9:02am On Nov 04, 2014
1 Ghana Cedi = 52 Naira shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 04, 2014
seunlayi:

Steady economy? For where
Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by badmrkt(m): 9:12am On Nov 04, 2014
egift:
1 Ghana Cedi = 52 Naira shocked
bros stick to politics and leave Economics for the wise ones...

16 Likes

Re: Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% by egift(m): 9:18am On Nov 04, 2014
badmrkt:
bros stick to politics and leave Economics for the wise ones...

My guy, what is your problem that I posted the current Exchange rate? Must you fight over everything?

Up One Nigeria - all the way!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lawlessness Is A Crime Against Our Country – South African President / Niger Coup Plotters Seek Intervention Of Russian Mercenary Group, Wagner / Michelle Obama Stuns At The 2017 ESPYS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.