Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) (32409 Views)

Fashola Inspects 450 MW Azura Independent Power Plant In Benin (Photos) / Governor Wike And Duncan Mighty Inspecting Ongoing Rivers State Project - Pics / Ganduje Inspects Kano Independent Power Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by sammyj: 5:32pm On Dec 01, 2016
The Northerners are trying to play catch up. Hope there is nothing fishing about this fast catch up development
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by omonnakoda: 5:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

That plant is not sustainable
It cost 33 000 liters per day to run it
300mw should cost 330 000 liters per day to run
3000mw should cost 3 300 000 liters to run
According to your logic...

You see why it's not sustainable?
This analysis is shallow. What is the market or selling price of electricity? Without that information you cannot say whether or not it is sustainable. You are just pronouncing.....

4 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by 1wolex85: 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
comos:
turbine ruuning on Diesel fuel,

what makes it different from mikano generator ?

A generator is a generator whether hydro, gas, diesel, solar, coal or petrol powered.

4 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Donbigi2(m): 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
This analysis is shallow. What is the market or selling price of electricity? Without that information you cannot say whether or not it is sustainable. You are just pronouncing.....

I think it cost 19naira per unit of electricity for pay as you go (which is by far the cheapest around the world)
Even us that uses cheaper source of electricity (nuclear) it's arround 25-30naira per unit depending on your location.
By the way I was talking about the country adoption g this method not the 38mw..
Am simply saying it won't be sustainable at 300-3000mw
I hope you are getting what I mean

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by 1wolex85: 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
crisycent:

Typical ahboki....you people don't even think of tomorrow no wonder you can tie a bomb around your waist and blow the little sense left in your empty head. How can you sustain 33000 litres of diesel per day? Your brain dey pain you? U no even get sef no vex.
You first need to find out how much 30mw of electricity per day is sold and then juxtapose with the cost of diesel before you jump to conclusions. Have you tried to find out how much the generationg coys spend on gas to fire their gas power plants a day?

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by deolu2000(m): 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
30-38mw and it will give the state almost 24hrs electricity and also supply into the national grid? Something is not adding up here, what quota of electricity does the state currently consume from the national grid? From my calculations, nigeria presently generate between 3500mw - 4500mw, and each states only get on average of 7hrs of electricity daily. So hw can 38mw gives the state any meanful boost? Aftral 38mw by 37 states (incl FCT) is only 1406mw, so why can't can't the whole country have constant power supply from what we presently generate? Something isn't adding up from this news, i sense another propaganda in this report.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by PaulIdu: 5:39pm On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Which law?

There is one law that states that any independent power plant of more than 5 mws must feed it's power into that national grid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by 1wolex85: 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

I think it cost 19naira per unit of electricity for pay as you go (which is by far the cheapest around the world)
Even us that uses cheaper source of electricity (nuclear) it's arround 25-30naira per unit depending on your location.

I hope you are getting what I mean
What is a unit? A unit is a kwh, now calculate that. Also, the charges for commercial and 3 phase is much higher.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by oweman: 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
I know gradually the Niger deltans will make themselves irrelevant !

Now if this project is successful and the hydro projects breng proposed in most states in the north get to work. I don't seem to see the relevant of the Niger deltans anymore !
Meanwhile solar power is readily available everywhere in the north and is being tapped into UI ibadan s already having a power system to last the next 25years while that of ABU Zaria is under construction to last 25 years or even more
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Adebimpe1(m): 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2016
obailala:

These are interesting figures. If just N3.8billion could build a 30mw gas/diesel plant, then I would assume N38 billion can build a 300mw plant and N380billion (~$1bn) can build a 3000mw plant.

If these above figures are real, one begins to wonder how OBJ spent $16billion and GEJ spent about $8billion, yet power generation capacity is still not up to 6000mw.

This is one bloody expensive venture to operate, reason Nigeria should forget the initial capital cost and consider solar power.

[size=2pt]Attn: Lalasticlala[/size]
Well, it all depends on the kind of power plant. The said amount for this very power plant is somewhat logical...But as I said, it depends.

Natural gas engines have outputs/capacities between 5MW - 20MW, some engines have higher outputs, depending on the specifications. It should be noted also, that these engines can either burn solely on natural gas, or a mixture of natural gas and LFO (liquid fuel oil/diesel). LFO here, serves as the pilot fuel, and NG as main fuel. Some burns with HFO (heavy fuel oil)

In the case of LFO as pilot fuel, an approximate quantity of 1.5 ton - 2.5 ton maybe used daily, depending on load and run-time.
I think this particular engine uses LFO only (just my thought). That is bad business, and whoever advises on such should be flogged, considering we've got gas in abundance.

OBJ and GEJ are frauds, or whoever is in charge. You can build a Wartsila powered Power station of 250-MW with $350 million, from ROW(right of way/ground zero) to completion and commissioning. This is not just a power plant of low standard, but one of world class standards, meeting all international regulations. Same amount may also be used to erect a combined-cycle power plant of 360MW.

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by thaoriginator: 5:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
And Jonathan and Dasuki stole 2.1 billion dollars just to rig election o shocked

We thank God they didn't succeed oh! Nigerians for dey die of hardship daily for this recession wey den put us so

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by oluxy(m): 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
When North had no IPP, power is constant. Now with this, power will be over constant grin
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
Godprotectigbos:
grin grin grin i just they pit tinubu grin grin grin grin
this one has a generational curse. U are pitying somebody that can buy your life or somebody that can assassinate u? He is supposed to be pitying your generationgrin

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by crisycent: 5:51pm On Dec 01, 2016
1wolex85:

You first need to find out how much 30mw of electricity per day is sold and then juxtapose with the cost of diesel before you jump to conclusions. Have you tried to find out how much the generationg coys spend on gas to fire their gas power plants a day?

Can you buy a car for N5m and the car costs N10m to run yearly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by mfm04622: 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2016
comos:

No difference, except generators can't work continously. Some can only work for 8 hours some 12 and some 24 hours. Power plants , work continously. 5 years in this case
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by tanteta(m): 5:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
Good venture
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
WILLYBABS:
Receive sense that won't expire into that flat and empty head of urs...can u even survive without mentioning South West?
do u want them to die pls live them alone before they die sw is the creator of there life shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by weselomo(m): 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Nigeria will soon divide, take it or leave it.
Northern already test run their electricity preparing ahead for the division

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Godprotectigbos:
grin grin grin i just they pit tinubu grin grin grin grin

Were! angry Wetin concern Tinubu with this power project nau?

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Blue3k(m): 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
MeAboki:
LOL, northern states making waves while others are busy bombing pipelines and calling them parasites to excuse their own inadequacies.

Lol read the article. You trying to take jabs at south when your late to party. Your not making waves your following trends. The arguements of northern region being parasitic isn't untrue.

The project, awarded in November, 2008, is the first of its kind in the Northern part of the country
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by SBG04: 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
crisycent:

Typical ahboki....you people don't even think of tomorrow no wonder you can tie a bomb around your waist and blow the little sense left in your empty head. How can you sustain 33000 litres of diesel per day? Your brain dey pain you? U no even get sef no vex.
I'm sorry but you're the one without sense. All the major IPPs in Nigeria that are run on gas are down because the idiots in the delta have blown up all the gas pipelines. If we have an IPP that runs on diesel or LPFO which is more readily available than gas, heck why not? Besides, you should do a cost estimate of what States or even local governments spend on fuelling their generators and see if its not more than 33,000litres of diesel.
With 30megawatts at N3.8 billion, this project even sounds too good to be true

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Weldone my able Governor Tambuwal more grease to your elbows!
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

it is too sustainable. Do u know how many liters of fuel Nigerians burn every day in generator use. Tens of millions of liters per day do u think its a joke? What 330,000 litres? Its nothing, even 3000000 litres to 30Mw is nothing
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

it is too sustainable. Do u know how many liters of fuel Nigerians burn every day in generator use. Tens of millions of liters per day do u think its a joke? What 330,000 litres? Its nothing, even 3000000 litres to 3000Mw is nothing
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Vizzim: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
This project is too expensive to run, how will a turbine be running on 33, 000 ltrs of either Dpk/Pms when na everyday fuel dey scares. It better dey just buy generator for all states to use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by SBG04: 6:06pm On Dec 01, 2016
crisycent:

Can you buy a car for N5m and the car costs N10m to run yearly?
33,000 litres to get 30megawatts! That's the best deal ever! Do you know what 30megawatts can power? A whole state!

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by nwaanambra1(m): 6:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
comos:

my broda that mata tire meooo!

they should av just tell us they bought a giant generator!

besides who is going to fund the fueling?

for how long can they sustain the fueling

very wack project!

funny thing is that money would av bought them a solar powered turbine that can produce a far cheaper electricity and same or high capacity!

we can so do things backwards for this country eh! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by zeestunner(m): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

At least dem try. If south south states with the oil and gas plants around them cant achieve something like this for all this years and with all the allocations and extra cash they get from fg. who are we to judge them up north. Its a shame to us down south here. most especially delta state with all its resources should hav somtin like this at least 4 by now buh som ppl use the money build houses for their girlfriends.

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Donbigi2(m): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
michaelandre:
it is too sustainable. Do u know how many liters of fuel Nigerians burn every day in generator use. Tens of millions of liters per day do u think its a joke? What 330,000 litres? Its nothing, even 3000000 litres to 3000Mw is nothing
So individual generator is replaced with a bigger generator and you think its fine?for the state it is but my point was made about federal government using this system to generate power, it won't be sustainable..
It will cost alot to maintain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Donbigi2(m): 6:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
1wolex85:

What is a unit? A unit is a kwh, now calculate that. Also, the charges for commercial and 3 phase is much higher.

If at all everyone will use meter, I see profit in it, here is why:
All exchange rate are at 396/dollar

Cost to power = $12960000.00 per year
Convert to naira=5132160000
If it gives light offer 12hrs we can say it generates 5132160000/2 = N2566080000
Let's say they bought diesel for 150 naira per liter =N4950000 per day (150x33000)
Let's say it supply's light for 12hrs only =
4950000 x 15 (half of 30days equivalent of 12hrs per day)
=N74250000
1yr will cost =891000000

Profit for the yr= 1, 675, 080, 000
Let's say 600 000 000 is cost of maintenance nd workers salary

Profit is 1 075,080,000

Cost of generator = 3 800 000 000
Within 3yrs they should get their capital back..
This would have been profitable if at all the north uses meter for electricity (19 naira per kwa)
Sadly they pay Nepa bill manually (highest 1k per month, even at 3k per month it is not sustainable)

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by SBG04: 6:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
zeestunner:

At least dem try. If south south states with the oil and gas plants around them can achieve something like this for all the allocations and extra cash they get from fg who are we to judge them. Its a shame to us down south here. most especially delta state with all its resources should hav somtin like this at least 4 by now buh som ppl use the money build houses for their girlfriends.
As in! The irony is just too painful. Rivers, delta and Bayelsa with all the gas in the world are in darkness! Onne in rivers, parts of escravos and even brass are in perpetual darkness! These areas have billions and billions of cubic feet of gas reserves. A few people would rather loot the billions meant to generate electricity from their gas. They never think long term. These states have no business with darkness with the quantity of gas reserves they're sitting on. Serious pity!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by buffalowings: 6:23pm On Dec 01, 2016
nwaanambra1:

my broda that mata tire meooo!

they should av just tell us they bought a giant generator!

besides who is going to fund the fueling?

for how long can they sustain the fueling

very wack project!

funny thing is that money would av bought them a solar powered turbine that can produce a far cheaper electricity and same or high capacity!

we can so do things backwards for this country eh! cheesy

Na true o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Apc’s House Begins Gaining Order As Fashola, Oki Join Unity Force / LCC Patrol Van Knocks Down Nursing Mother, Kills Baby (Graphic Photo) / 2023 Elections: Nigerian Youths Tell US, UK Those Who Deserve Visa Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.