Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,376 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption (40744 Views)

We Want You Back Now, APC Tells Nuhu Ribadu / This Picture Says A Lot About Buhari's Fight Against Corruption / How EFCC Almost Arrested Aisha Buhari’s Impostor – Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by dokyOloye: 8:54am On Dec 02, 2016
Cadamlk:
I wonder why PMB did not include this guy in his cabinet.
U guys have such short memories.
Is this not d same man who termed every politician opposed to Obasanjo's 3rd term corrupt and those in favour of as saints.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by dokyOloye: 8:58am On Dec 02, 2016
deji15:
Any surprise at the names?
Prof Ben Nwabueze ?? Chief Proponent of Corruption.
Then you have long list of Yorubas as anti corruption crusaders even to the extent that SAN's are rendering their services free of Charge..
Pro Yemi Osibanjo SAN
Mr Femi Falana
Gani Fawhinmi
Tayo Oyetibo SAN
Rotimi Jacobs SAN

Etc..
Same Falana is telling Buhari he doesn't need to produce his WAEC certificate.
All he needs is to hire 13 SANs

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by middlebelter(m): 9:06am On Dec 02, 2016
deji15:
Then you have long list of Yorubas as anti corruption crusaders even to the extent that SAN's are rendering their services free of Charge..
Pro Yemi Osibanjo SAN
Mr Femi Falana
Gani Fawhinmi
Tayo Oyetibo SAN
Rotimi Jacobs SAN

Etc..

Please don't introduce tribalism into this discussion. Did you not see a name called Kalu on the list. I feel extremely pained when people trivialise very important matter like this. All Nigerians, should unite to fight the people milking our country dry not mind g the tribe or religion. I say say without any fear of contradiction that that the people that pushed us into this economic crisis are not from one tribe or religion. The are a people united in crime against our fatherland.
May I then use this opportunity to appeal for support to the current administration in their fight against corruption not minding the imperfections. Successive government will improve on the foundations and Nigeria will get to the destination.
Let us not forget the abysmal performance of Ya'adua government in anticorruption fight that brought the Lime of A and oaks, Waziri etc and freed James Ibori destroying the foundation laid by OBJ. That made it difficult for GEJ, to make any meaningful impact but he at least succeeded in chasing Ibori into the hands of UK government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by middlebelter(m): 9:10am On Dec 02, 2016
deji15:
Pro Yemi Osibanjo SAN
Mr Femi Falana
Gani Fawhinmi
Tayo Oyetibo SAN
Rotimi Jacobs SAN

Etc..

Please don't introduce tribalism into this discussion. Did you not see a name called Kalu on the list. I feel extremely pained when people trivialise very important matter like this. All Nigerians, should unite to fight the people milking our country dry not mind g the tribe or religion. I say say without any fear of contradiction that that the people that pushed us into this economic crisis are not from one tribe or religion. The are a people united in crime against our fatherland.
May I then use this opportunity to appeal for support to the current administration in their fight against corruption not minding the imperfections. Successive government will improve on the foundations and Nigeria will get to the destination.
Let us not forget the abysmal performance of Ya'adua government in anticorruption fight that brought the likes of Aondoakaa, Waziri etc and freed James Ibori destroying the foundation laid by OBJ. That made it difficult for GEJ, to make any meaningful impact but he at least succeeded in chasing Ibori into the hands of UK government.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by tobiasbeecher: 9:11am On Dec 02, 2016
kstix:

See where ur sense has gone. Now who was Nwabueze defending? He just made it his life's work to frustrate d Efcc to gain recognition from d corrupt individuals. Who says defending ain't a lawyers job? Did u even read the post? Maybe ur "sense" level was inadequate to grasp what it meant.
For your information, the erudite professor Ben Nwabueze (SAN) is one of the foremost constitutional lawyers in Nigeria! His legal opinion carries weight and value. Nuhu Ribadu was angry because Nwabueze was questioning the legality of EFCC claiming that their establishment contravenes some sections in the Nigerian constitution. He was not even defending any accused person, he was just making sure everything is done based on our law books.
Now read this and if after reading this you refuse to recant your ignorant opinion, then I am sorry to have quoted you in the first place.
Read:

AGAINST the backdrop of prosecution of some ex-state governors for alleged acts of corruption, constitutional lawyer and Chairman, The Patriots, Professor Ben Nwabueze has said that the law setting up the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is illegal because it is ultra vires the 1999 Constitution, and is null and void.

In an interview, Professor Nwabueze deposed that the EFCC act is an "ordinary law" that is subordinate to the constitution. His words:

"The constitution is supreme over the EFCC and the constitution vests the power in the
Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF). We cannot go by ordinary law. The EFCC Act is an ordinary law because the constitution is supreme."

Professor Nwabueze spoke at length on the controversy which arose over who has right to prosecute which cases as regards the trial of some ex-governors, and the bid by the Attorney-General to take over cases.

"It is the constitution that established the office of the Attorney-General and vests the power of criminal prosecution in the Attorney-General. We read the provisions of the EFCC Act and that provision perverts Section 174 of the 1999 constitution.

"In other words, the EFCC Act excludes the Attorney-General. If it does not exclude the Attorney-General, then it insubordinates him to the commission. This is a complete perversion of Section 174 of the Constitution which gives the controlling power to the Attorney-General as far as prosecution is concerned, including economic and financial crimes. And then an ordinary law made by the National Assembly caused all these. It is wrong. The Constitution is supreme to the EFCC Act."

The Patriots chairman then delved at length into the provisions of the EFCC Act, and wondered whether legislators that worked on the law fully grasped the import of their enactment.

"The question of the Attorney-General and the EFCC is the question of the constitution versus EFCC Act. That is what many people don't understand. And I kept asking myself: Were the members of the National Assembly blindfolded at the time they passed this Act into law? I have asked this question on many occasions but they said they were stampeded into passing the law and I have asked many of them and they said they didn't read it before passing. They said they were stampeded and they passed it. So, this goes beyond the Attorney-General and the EFCC.

The constitution cannot be compared with the EFCC Act. There is no basis for that. The EFCC does not exist in the face of the constitution because it is complete departure from the constitution. It is an ordinary law. The constitution is supreme."
On how to resolve the controversy, Professor Nwabueze said that the EFCC is compounding illegality upon illegality.

"The EFCC is illegality upon illegality. That's what it is. First, EFCC is a product of an ordinary law but it has been operating outside its powers.
That is an illegality, but here we have double illegality. The first one is that the powers invested in the commission is ultra vires; it is unconstitutional. The other illegality is that most of what the EFCC does, it has no powers to do."
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by middlebelter(m): 9:30am On Dec 02, 2016
Nigerian should consider setting up a body that rates government or administration on anti corruption. Starting from OBJ government for the pioneering role of setting up EFCC, to Ya'adua and then GEJ.
State government should also be captured. If we can get a NGO, that will develop the rating criteria and score government /administration yearly and cumulative rating at the end of tenure should be published and bases disclosed.
We don't have to leave the fight to Government alone. The NGO should have well respected, detriabalised and successful Nigerians like Emeka Awayawun, Akinsola Williams, Balarabe Musa etc. People that are not known for political affiliations. Such rating will be made at the end of tenure and placed in state house and [b][/b]National Libraries for future generations to read. This kind d of practise will put every president and Governor on their toes.
We can't seat bye and expect the politicians not to take us for granted.
If I have to rate administration on a scale of 1-10, alloting the highest mark of ten to best performance and lowest to 1, my rating G will be

1.OBJ - 5
2.Ya'adua - 1
3. GEJ - 2
4.PMB - performance still under review but looks better than previous

Perhaps this should be a new thread on its own?

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by DeRay98(m): 9:36am On Dec 02, 2016
AnonyNymous:

I don't think so
He ran as ACN's candidate in 2011

He decamped to PDP in 2014 due to frustration and got even more frustrated in PDP hence, returned to APC. If not , by now he should have been a minister in this govt.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 02, 2016
DeRay98:

He decamped to PDP in 2014 due to frustration and got even more frustrated in PDP hence, returned to APC. If not , by now he should have been a minister in this govt.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by BALLOSKI: 9:40am On Dec 02, 2016
Cadamlk:
he dumped APC for pdp thinking he could become governor of adamawa state.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by DedeNkem: 9:43am On Dec 02, 2016
Ribadu was corrupt too when he chaired the commission. He allowed Obasanjo to use him to punish his Obasanjo's enemies.
Ribadu protected Obasanjo and didn't prosecute him for corruption!

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Pavarottii(m): 9:48am On Dec 02, 2016
Stalwert:
While the likes of Gani Fayemi were supporting EFCC with free legal support you have fools Ben nwabueze trying hard to frustrate efcc and till date kicks against govt efforts to fight corruption. Some people life long mission is doing good while others is to protect evil. May Allah frustrate evil doers and their protectors.
AMEN! Including Buhari
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by freeze001(f): 9:55am On Dec 02, 2016
ihatesycophant:
So you're prof Ben's accounting officer that you even know where his daily bread come from. Young boy, don't deceive yourself, you mean he has not been employed by politicians to defend them in all his sojourn as a constitutional lawyer? Please face front and stop defending what you cannot stand in front of God and defend. Mr. Man, no known high flier lawyer that is not on the payroll of politicians because every high flier politician has family lawyer that are under their beck and call. Even Gani you mentioned was under the payroll of some the then AD's governors.

Ignorance is a terrible disease. Do not display the evidence please, silence will at least earn u plausible deniability. Point of correction I am female and for purposes of knowledge, the (f) besides my moniker means 'female'. There is a reason I said 'possible exception' of Gani, try to understand and appreciate the nuances of the English language. Finally, there is a difference between representing a client and being in the pockets and on the payroll of politicians. If u do not understand the implications of each, I cannot help ur desperate case. Go and read up and find out about Prof Ben Nwabueze, SAN before u start painting with ur brush of generalisation.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by oyeb15: 10:03am On Dec 02, 2016
He's talking after how many years. Attention seeker! He stepped on many toes during his tenure. Now, his godfathers have left him & those he probed & insulted then are still in government. He was used to fight political enemies under the guise of corruption.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Cekpo34(m): 10:21am On Dec 02, 2016
basilo102:
So the lawyers will not hustle for their daily bread?? blame your own legal team for incompetence

We think towards the same direction. Ribadu should have fought legally to fill the loopholes in our legal system of which the aforementioned barristers exploited. Am proud of those lawyers, ofcourse, only the smart and intelligent ones can exploit these loopholes. Smart lawyers like this should rather than being vilified, recruited to represent EFCC in court cases.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Jethrolite(m): 10:24am On Dec 02, 2016
Cadamlk:
Because he left to PDP, ribadu's case is very unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by ooshinibos: 10:30am On Dec 02, 2016
Cadamlk:
ribadu was rude to Buhari during the ANC and CPC TV debate and election campaign 2011....he treated Buhari like his junior ...Ribadu's mistake is decamping from ANC ..and joining the governorship race under PDP .. I think Buhari likes him but Ribadu does not respect his seniors

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by mandarin: 10:48am On Dec 02, 2016
freeze001:

And how did Prof Ben Nwabueze attempt to prevent justice from taking its course? Go and read up and do some research so u don't produce ignorant stuff here though that is most likely all u are capable of but I'm magnanimous enough to give you the benefit of doubt.

I'll help you: Read if u can and identify where Prof Ben supported corruption according to you :

http://ugowrite..com.ng/2016/03/efcc-is-nigerias-most-corrupt.html?m=1

Read this also:

Challenging the constitutionality of the EFCC is what Ribadu is offended about because he saw it has his source of daily bread and clout being attacked and this was done as far back as 2007 and earlier from d time EFCC was created. Who would want to have the coveted position of Chairman of EFCC taken away because he was occupying an unconstitutional office?

You however omitted the morality of fighting corruption in a society so bedeviled by it. Even as a constitutional lawyer, your efforts at sabotaging efforts at fighting corruption can easily pass for supporting grafts, that is why judges do consider their decision on public interests because there are many unwritten laws even in divine order.
Seeking to strengthen EFCC should have been his position even while pointing out those loopholes. So what about those other lawyers who saw reasons to support anti corruption fights? Did they not know d constitution?
You can't justify d thought of a man but can infer through his action, even if he took his position as a professional one, his action was inimical to d society he was trained to serve, so he was against d progress of d land . We can only agree that those who defend criminals do so on professional grounds but they go to court to argue on allegations you know.
please don't come here to defend what is morally wrong in d name of ethnicity, the attempt of having EFCC signified good intention and should have been supported to succeed period
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Cadamlk: 10:59am On Dec 02, 2016
dokyOloye:
U guys have such short memories.
Is this not d same man who termed every politician opposed to Obasanjo's 3rd term corrupt and those in favour of as saints.
Your statement could have been better projected by avoiding such a nauseating comment. I got many other mentions too but yours seem to be odd out. Please let us try to be more civil in our write ups. Thanks.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by espn(m): 11:04am On Dec 02, 2016
basilo102:

your comparison is just funny
Is not funny but the truth because they are all thieves....
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by freeze001(f): 11:06am On Dec 02, 2016
mandarin:

You however omitted the morality of fighting corruption in a society so bedeviled by it. Even as a constitutional lawyer, your efforts at sabotaging efforts at fighting corruption can easily pass for supporting grafts, that is why judges do consider their decision on public interests because there are many unwritten laws even in divine order.
Seeking to strengthen EFCC should have been his position even while pointing out those loopholes. So what about those other lawyers who saw reasons to support anti corruption fights? Did they not know d constitution?
You can't justify d thought of a man but can infer through his action, even if he took his position as a professional one, his action was inimical to d society he was trained to serve, so he was against d progress of d land . We can only agree that those who defend criminals do so on professional grounds but they go to court to argue on allegations you know.
please don't come here to defend what is morally wrong in d name of ethnicity, the attempt of having EFCC signified good intention and should have been supported to succeed period

My dear, the law is not sentimental. It deals and operates with cold hard facts and evidence. Why strengthen an illegality no matter how well thought out? It is the reason for instance, a case can be upturned at the Supreme Court simply because the trial judge had no jurisdiction no mater how well thought out and researched such judgment may be. His action was designed to enrich and uphold our constitution; why would he seek to support something unconstitutional because of the sentiments of fighting corruption? His position was for the police and the AG already empowered by the Constitution to be properly streamlined to carry out their constitutional functions which includes dealing with corruption and not the creation of what he considered an illegal creation that was not provided for in the Constitution. He had no problem with fighting corruption, he only demanded that it be done within the ambit of the constitution which is the supreme law of the land.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by fejicruz(m): 11:18am On Dec 02, 2016
He has decamped again?

johnsonjosbles:
he was in PDP now, he just return to APC last month
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by dokyOloye: 11:58am On Dec 02, 2016
Cadamlk:
Your statement could have been better projected by avoiding such a nauseating comment. I got many other mentions too but yours seem to be odd out. Please let us try to be more civil in our write ups. Thanks.
Pls,accept my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.
No vex,I didn't mean it d way it came out bro.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by madjune(m): 12:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
I really wonder why Obj made Farida the head of efcc then.

That woman was so corrupt.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 02, 2016
deji15:
Pro Yemi Osibanjo SAN
Mr Femi Falana
Gani Fawhinmi
Tayo Oyetibo SAN
Rotimi Jacobs SAN

Etc..

I knew one myopic tribal warrior won't see Kanu Agabi
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 02, 2016
deji15:
Pro Yemi Osibanjo SAN
Mr Femi Falana
Gani Fawhinmi
Tayo Oyetibo SAN
Rotimi Jacobs SAN

Etc..

I knew one myopic tribal warrior won't see Kanu Agabi. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by slivertongue: 12:30pm On Dec 02, 2016
this guy seem to be confused. always saying different things to please the govt in power. his under hand tactis was what gave birth to other channels of looting. ribadu always seeking attention
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Codes151(m): 1:50pm On Dec 02, 2016
Emassive:
Failed state of the Nation only opens up when they are not in power anymore. I just hope Magu can hold the likes of Ngige, Orrji, Tinubu, Ameachi, FFK, obanikoro, fashola, Peter odili, Oduaghan, dickson, Godswill A and the likes to cough up all looted funds they have today as investments so he won't tell us stories like Ribadu keeps doing in all press briefings.
Writing as if u were the one that helped them share loots!

Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
freeze001:

If u feel every lawyer who represents an accused person or queries the legality or otherwise of the actions of the government supports corruption, why did 15 SANs go to represent Buhari despite his inability to produce the basic certificate which qualifies him to even contest for any office?

Going by the ignorant responses of most laymen in here flaunting their limited knowledge about legal advocacy, then it will be in order to equally conclude that those 15 SANs are corrupt SANs that went to represent a criminal without a certificate.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by henrymom18(m): 2:31pm On Dec 02, 2016
If and if truly Rebadu had Nigeria @ hart, why didn't he mention their names before now........knowing what has been happening about corruption, medicine after death!!!!!!!
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Elujulo(m): 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2016
[color=#000099][/color] Welcome back my man allz well
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 02, 2016
Segadem:
....hmmmmm, but what happens to the word that says: "there's dignity in labour"

armed robbers, kidnappers, militants also fight for their daily bread

Then the police, military and jungle-judges also do their duties.
Re: Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption by Berba17(m): 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
Nuhu Ribadu will always remain my guy. I know people will not appreciate you now but one day history will justify and praise you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos Of Soldiers Injured By Shiites During Yesterday's Protest In Abuja / El-rufai Returns To Nigeria After Widespread Rumours Of Being Dead. Pictures / Coronavirus Symptoms: Mamman Daura Flown To UK For Treatment - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.