Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality (1380 Views)

Yoruba Land Is Landlocked Fact And Pics / Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted / The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by islandmoon: 12:11pm On Dec 02, 2016
pla·cen·ta - a flattened circular organ in the uterus of pregnant eutherian mammals, nourishing and maintaining the fetus through the umbilical cord.

- Some cultures bury the placenta for various reasons

- The Igbo of Nigeria consider the placenta the deceased twin of the baby, and conduct full funeral rites for it.

- The placenta is eaten, a practice known as placentophagy. In some eastern cultures, such as China, the dried placenta (ziheche 紫河車, literally "purple river cart"wink is thought to be a healthful restorative and is sometimes used in preparations of traditional Chinese medicine and various health products

- If a mother dies in childbirth, the Aymara of Bolivia bury the placenta in a secret place so that the mother's spirit will not return to claim her baby's life.

I have heard some people saying the spirit of anyone who died usual goes to carry the placenta before continue his or her journey into the land of the dead-

some people believe its just a mere waste and nothing more and just fling it in the lagoon for the fish!

what is your own believe?

Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2016
islandmoon:
- The Igbo of Nigeria consider the placenta the deceased twin of the baby, and conduct full funeral rites for it.
grin grin This can't be true...
Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by ChemicalReaction(f): 1:20pm On Dec 02, 2016
OP, that thing about the igbos is a very big lie!
Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by islandmoon: 5:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
jagugu88li:
grin grin This can't be true...

I found that here , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placenta, i suggest you edit it
Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2016
islandmoon:

I found that here , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placenta, i suggest you edit it
That's a very harsh response, more especially given that I was even laughing in disbelief. Anyway, I'll stay away from your mentions.
Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by islandmoon: 1:22am On Dec 04, 2016
Hahaha, Pardon me Ma'am, so sorry, in fact , make a request.
Re: Baby Placenta , The Myth , The Supersition, The Fact And Reality by islandmoon: 9:20am On Mar 02, 2017
jagugu88li:
That's a very harsh response, more especially given that I was even laughing in disbelief. Anyway, I'll stay away from your mentions.

Sorry please!

(1) (Reply)

Do Ibos/igbos Still Practice Polygamy? / What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? / Ijebu-Ode: The tale of a people and their festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.