Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career (7358 Views)

Two Important Skills You Need To Learn To Be Successful In Your Career / Boost Your Career With I.T Training + Certification / Be Mindful Of The Words You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by juri: 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2016
Please be honest and objective.

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Adeoba10(m): 6:42am On Dec 03, 2016
If i am able to attend my alma mata get-together.

12 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 03, 2016
Now I hate the day I started doing good with my Data.

This is a tricky question as you would have to take into consideration your socioeconomical background; to some it is when they get a top level promotion, to others it is when they start getting a fat paycheck .

It is based on the individual.

Some go as far as pegging material wealth to career success so...all fingers will not be the same in assessing this milestone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by DjAndroid: 6:43am On Dec 03, 2016
Did I understand the Question?

Popularity. That is indispensabilty at the place of work, when your opinions is always sought for.

2 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by seuncyber(m): 6:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Your bank account

3 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 6:44am On Dec 03, 2016
What else if not one's Finanicial Statements.

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by johnstar(m): 6:44am On Dec 03, 2016
K
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by oriflamebaby1(f): 6:47am On Dec 03, 2016
Success to be is how many lives has changed through you.As a network marketer, seeing people grow in my team from zero earnings to six figures is success! Duplicating yourself and building leaders in your network is success! To me it's just more about the growth and success of the people you sponsor, that's evident of your success.

#Goaldigger
#Bosslady
#Oriflamebaby1

5 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by petomas(m): 6:48am On Dec 03, 2016
*Your ability to impact so many lives positively that your work alone can speak for u.
*When you make good and legit money from Ur chosen carrier. I.e, your financial freedom.

2 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Hidentity(m): 6:48am On Dec 03, 2016
Friend, I think that this question is more of an individual thing than general. In my circle of friends, our measure of career success even varies, but there are common grounds. Let us examine some:

1: Expertise and professionalism

What can I rate myself in my field? Am I just some regular guy in this field or some expert? What makes me that expert? E.g if you are a lawyer, in how many areas of law can I deal well? If I focus on just an area, how good am I? And can the firm release me for a client on a transaction and be rest assured all Is will be dotted and Ts crossed?

2: Financial reward/Salary

I have read a lot of posts where people are advised not to 'chase' money at the start of their career because it will come. I do laugh. What does chasing mean? If you follow that to the letter, you may not be successful career wise. Chase money, but do it within the ambience of the law. Ensure you get paid for your service. A terrible pay will most likely affect career growth. No matter how good you are, no matter how hard working you are, the reward for your efforts must be proportionate or near proportionate to help with the mental and material growth which will put you in a great mindset to give your career what it takes to grow. So, your pay can tell how far you've gone vis-a-vis career too.

3: Caucus standard

No matter where you work or your pay, there is always a meeting point for you and those at your level in the same profession or even other professions sometimes. How do you do in those meeting points? If you're on the line, it is a sign your career is going well. Mind you, know the difference between things they achieved which are unconnected to career e.g if they all have cars and you don't, it might be more of a question of choice than growth.

4: Achievements

Make a list and be fair to yourself. Start from your day one. Don't go including how you're good at making jokes at work. That's no career achievement. Look at things like: The transactions you're Involved in, and the feedback from the clients. Look at your great suggestions that helped the firm out of a tight corner, look at how you do with urgent works etc. If you're some regular employee whom the office won't bother to question his attempt to resign, you need to work more on your career. You're either not building the right career or building the right career in a wrong way.

5: Professional Popularity

This is not easy to achieve on a big scale as a beginner. But there are ways you can look at this from your immediate working environment. What does your employer and colleagues have to say about you vis-a-vis your work? How deft are you at thinking outside the box? Have you been perceived as the future of your profession or even addressed by the names of some big shots in your field? I don't mean people who call you Fawehinmi because you always argue, I mean people who call you that because of your productive inputs.

6: Experience

List the professional experience you've had. Almost always, these are not ones that can be found in everybody. People always look at some icing on your cake. A client who is aware that an area has seasoned lawyers in the field of election matters will be super impressed when you're that lawyer who is deft at election matters and also maritime law.

7: Personal Conviction

What do you think of yourself and your career?
This is important because no matter how good, sound, popular, intelligent and deft you are, there is that inner man that identifies the truth for you, even when the whole world doesn't know it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by tk4rd: 6:50am On Dec 03, 2016
AM HERE TO LEARN FROM OTHERS.!!
*murdifaid*
1. How quick and consistent you climb the ladder of hierachy in your work place.
2. How quick your subordinates carry out your directives.
3. How eager your colleagues are in inculcating you in their teams.
4. How much appreciation and approvals you get from your superiors.
My 2-kobo contribution.

2 Likes

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 03, 2016
How many people you bless is how you measure success
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by hpk(m): 6:53am On Dec 03, 2016
HERE TO READ COMMENTS, LEARN AND WORK HARD!!!!!
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by ezra1990: 6:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Peace of mind n contentment.... sadly tho both are in short supply these days
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by habex005(m): 6:54am On Dec 03, 2016
financial freedom and peace of the mind.

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 03, 2016
1. How happy I am doing what I do.
2. How my job/career impacts lives.
3. My bank account.
4. If I still have a social life.

You could be earning millions, AND still hate your job. You could be earning millions, AND have no time for your friends and family. That sucks. There should be a balance.

That balance shows your level of success in your career.

My opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 03, 2016
When I av done what expects of me ×3
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Jarus(m): 7:10am On Dec 03, 2016
1, Years it takes to achieve a position

2, Depth of knowledge of your field

3, Financial return

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Guru9ja(m): 7:16am On Dec 03, 2016
successfully people are set of people who do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by danduj(m): 7:19am On Dec 03, 2016
When u make money while sleeping
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by saintvc(m): 7:20am On Dec 03, 2016
if i am made the M.D
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:24am On Dec 03, 2016
When I dont get to introduce myself[i][/i]

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by legundarybeans(m): 7:26am On Dec 03, 2016
Am here to learn
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Maj196(m): 7:31am On Dec 03, 2016
By how much money is breathing in ur act
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by myrrtle(m): 7:39am On Dec 03, 2016
nice one
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Melonny(m): 7:50am On Dec 03, 2016
there is no right way to define success. How we see success may be based on personal values, environment etc I think there is a theory of need, getting to self actualisation should mean you have achieved all. Again how we define self actualisation may be subjective. just be the best you can be

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Singapore1(m): 7:53am On Dec 03, 2016
POWER!!!
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Tunmmyzhe: 8:01am On Dec 03, 2016
if am able to have a house

buy a car

have financial freedom

irrespective of my qualification, salary or position in my company
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 03, 2016
when I see myself on Forbes. when people want to be the first to write about me,be it bad or good and yes when any post that smells my name hits front page on NAIRALAND.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by juri: 8:15am On Dec 03, 2016
MsDelilah:
1. How happy I am doing what I do.
2. How my job/career impacts lives.
3. My bank account.
4. If I still have a social life.

You could be earning millions, AND still hate your job. You could be earning millions, AND have no time for your friends and family. That sucks. There should be a balance.

That balance shows your level of success in your career.

My opinion.
Thank you guise for you're contributions. But i think i have goten some satisfactory answer from this quoted statement. I think is all about balance.

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Ruq: 8:19am On Dec 03, 2016
By the number of those who can say they were blessed through you.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 03, 2016
How many people you bless is how you measure success.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NLC, NUT Accuse El-rufai Of Plotting To Sack 21,000 Teachers, Others / Where Can I Work As A Motion Graphics Professional / Ekundayo Adeyemi- Nigeria's First Professor Of Architecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.