Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,695 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683965 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by PDPGuy: 6:49pm On Jan 03, 2018
castrokins:
Bro, Are You In Oregon?

I’m in California

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2018
Well, turns out no car was coming at that point in time, so I slowly regained control of my vehicle, after it had skid for some minutes.

That taught me a lesson, I had to reduce my speed and increase my braking distance. I further lost control of my vehicle twice. A trip that normally takes me 10 minutes took me about 45 minutes. On my way back, they had ploughed the road a little, (pictures below) I figured all I had to do was stay on the dark part of the road, once my tire touches the white part (ice) I knew I'd lose control of my vehicle, so I just drove very carefully and was grateful to not have gotten into an accident. After that day, I jejely parked my car one side until I get new tires. For now, I'm driving my sister's Hyundai Sonata which has brand new tires. She's not around, she went to Naija for the winter holidays.

Tuesday that week was supposed to be my last day at BurgerKing. On monday, I got a call from the manager, I almost did not want to pick the phone but I did. She called to wish me well in my future endeavors, telling me how sad she was that I quit the job, talking about she has been losing her good workers and she didn't know why. That if I ever need a job, I would always be welcome at burgerKing. I smiled and thanked her for the opportunity, that for the fact that this was my very first job in the USA, it would always hold sentimental value to me. She thanked me once more and hung up.

On Tuesday, I put on my burgerking work clothes (for the last time) and went to work. Word had filtered around that I was quitting, those that worked that last shift with me couldn't hide the fact that they would miss me. I mirrored their wishes and sentiments, the gay dude that was being stvpid the other day came to apologize, I ignored the kid. When I was about clocking out for the last time, they did something silly, they brought out a cheesecake and were looking for candle to put on it and sing for me, sh*t was funny sha. smiley
in general, I would say I learnt a lot at BurgerKing, if not for anything, I gained some insight on how rough "the streets" are. Some people have it rough sha. But that's a story for another day.

Good bye, BK.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2018
Here's a picture of myself. Don't mind their dirty mirror

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 11:19pm On Jan 03, 2018
Eeya. I'm sure you will miss them as well. How's your admission at chicago state university? It just 5 mins drive from my house. Maybe we can hook up one day and buy chipotle for your fan grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:20pm On Jan 03, 2018
The haters are here grin

You claim to not give a fvck about this thread, but you sneak in for a peek when you think no one is looking. Change o. Na new year be this grin

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:22pm On Jan 03, 2018
lionlee216:
Eeya. I'm sure you will miss them as well. How's your admission at chicago state university? It just 5 mins drive from my house. Maybe we can hook up one day and buy chipotle for your fan grin

No news yet. Still waiting on Wes to finish with the evaluation. For now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2018
That's nice... Oga begging you to come back? shocked For here, one spanner lost...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2018
FrankNetter:
The haters are here grin

You claim to not give a fvck about this thread, but you sneak in for a peek when you think no one is looking. Change o. Na new year be this grin
pidgin is everywhere like mtn... But behaves well. Nowadays.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adeniyi3971(m): 6:53am On Jan 04, 2018
FrankNetter:
The haters are here grin

You claim to not give a fvck about this thread, but you sneak in for a peek when you think no one is looking. Change o. Na new year be this

Frank Ooooo grin grin .. hater alert
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Philian112(m): 8:44am On Jan 04, 2018
FrankNetter:
Well, turns out no car was coming at that point in time, so I slowly regained control of my vehicle, after it had skid for some minutes.

That taught me a lesson, I had to reduce my speed and increase my braking distance. I further lost control of my vehicle twice. A trip that normally takes me 10 minutes took me about 45 minutes. On my way back, they had ploughed the road a little, (pictures below) I figured all I had to do was stay on the dark part of the road, once my tire touches the white part (ice) I knew I'd lose control of my vehicle, so I just drove very carefully and was grateful to not have gotten into an accident. After that day, I jejely parked my car one side until I get new tires. For now, I'm driving my sister's Hyundai Sonata which has brand new tires. She's not around, she went to Naija for the winter holidays.

Tuesday that week was supposed to be my last day at BurgerKing. On monday, I got a call from the manager, I almost did not want to pick the phone but I did. She called to wish me well in my future endeavors, telling me how sad she was that I quit the job, talking about she has been losing her good workers and she didn't know why. That if I ever need a job, I would always be welcome at burgerKing. I smiled and thanked her for the opportunity, that for the fact that this was my very first job in the USA, it would always hold sentimental value to me. She thanked me once more and hung up.

On Tuesday, I put on my burgerking work clothes (for the last time) and went to work. Word had filtered around that I was quitting, those that worked that last shift with me couldn't hide the fact that they would miss me. I mirrored their wishes and sentiments, the gay dude that was being stvpid the other day came to apologize, I ignored the kid. When I was about clocking out for the last time, they did something silly, they brought out a cheesecake and were looking for candle to put on it and sing for me, sh*t was funny sha. smiley
in general, I would say I learnt a lot at BurgerKing, if not for anything, I gained some insight on how rough "the streets" are. Some people have it rough sha. But that's a story for another day.

Good bye, BK.
Frank that's really nice of her ,it's shows your time and energy you've put in while working there is being appreciate for, unlike Nigeria where nobody cares if you're Quiting.

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TomHagen: 9:21am On Jan 04, 2018
Philian112:

Frank that's really nice of her ,it's shows your time and energy you've put in while working there is being appreciate for, unlike Nigeria where nobody cares if you're Quiting
Please shut up!!

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by akashi01(m): 10:24am On Jan 04, 2018
TomHagen:
Please shut up!!
No, you Shut Up!!!

34 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bigtt76(f): 10:29am On Jan 04, 2018
E yaaaa .....getting me teary eyed cry Good byes are never sweet ...always emotional. It would have been great if you accepted the guy's apologies. That's life for you man

FrankNetter:

Good bye, BK.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 04, 2018
Sholay, something tells me I know you. Did you work with MTN at anytime?
sholay2011:
Let me also contribute to this thread. From Canada here...see the card and packaged "sweets" our Oga placed on each person's desk as Xmas wishes.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2018
FrankNetter:
The haters are here grin

grin they must obey including 2018

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ikengawo: 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2018
FrankNetter:

Good bye, BK.

hahaha, this is a very nice entry. Your story is awesome Frank, keep going!
It's good to maintain good relationships with all previous employers. When you're looking for another job, your future boss will consult with them before hiring you and if you're a good worker they will be honest in assessing you. it's also good to have a place you can return to in case the worst happens elsewhere.

You have the humility, ethic, consistency and intelligence to go far in this country! Wish you the best

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by sholay2011(m): 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2018
codebrew85:
Sholay, something tells me I know you. Did you work with MTN at anytime?
Nope.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 5:16pm On Jan 04, 2018
TomHagen:
Please shut up!!
The person you quoted is right..
It's sad to hear, but that is the reality

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 04, 2018
okay.
sholay2011:

Nope.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 04, 2018
Ugosample:

So very right. They will make sure they collect any item even if irrelevant belonging to them that's in ur position. And hence forth, u are labelled the enemy.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TomHagen: 5:33pm On Jan 04, 2018
Ugosample:

What is right?

That Nigerian employers do not ask their good employees why they have chosen to resign?
Is there any employer anywhere in the world that will be happy at losing good employees or has your self- hate completely eroded your sense of reason?

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TomHagen: 5:35pm On Jan 04, 2018
sassysure:

So very right. They will make sure they collect any item even if irrelevant belonging to them that's in ur position. And hence forth, u are labelled the enemy.
See this one...

SMH...

How can the country progress when the citizens hate themselves so much?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by timidapsin(m): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2018
FrankNetter:
Here's a picture of myself. Don't mind their dirty mirror
their dirty mirror Abi you don't want us to see your face.. angry

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2018
TomHagen:
What is right?

That Nigerian employers do not ask their good employees why they have chosen to resign?
Is there any employer anywhere in the world that will be happy at losing good employees or has your self- hate completely eroded your sense of reason?

You don't know anything

In many instances, the employee will not pay the soon to be ex employee that last month, and other entitlements due
Coupled with the bad blood

you have not seen how evil many in that country can be, that is why you are talking like this

Though it's only level headed bosses that will treat their soon to be ex employees in that fashion

But in a situation where even to pay the employees na war (due to sheer wickedness) what do you have to say about that

The guy you quoted is right, no matter how you see it.

Nigeria na one kind place

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TomHagen: 7:22pm On Jan 04, 2018
Ugosample:

You don't know anything

In many instances, the employee will not pay the soon to be ex employee that last month, and other entitlements due
Coupled with the bad blood

you have not seen how evil many in that country can be, that is why you are talking like this

Though it's only level headed bosses that will treat their soon to be ex employees in that fashion

But in a situation where even to pay the employees na war (due to sheer wickedness) what do you have to say about that

The guy you quoted is right, no matter how you see it.

Nigeria na one kind place
The glass is either half-full or half-empty.

Na una sabi!

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2018
TomHagen:
The glass is either half-full or half-empty.

Na una sabi!

Well sha

Different people with different perspectives

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 8:12pm On Jan 04, 2018
Yes o. That's Chicago weather for you. Hope you are enjoying the negative Temps (-6 F this morning) we've had in Chicagoland over the last week or so. grin As you said, one needs to drive extremely carefully in the snow. Normally (if it snows overnight) they plough before folks start heading out to work early in the morning, and they do a good job at that. May be it was a weekend or holiday weekend or so.

FrankNetter:
Some days back, I got a feel of why I need to get winter tires. See, like I said some time ago, my car gets me from point A to B and is warms up really fast when you drive. So, most times, I don’t have to start it up some minutes before I leave the house, I just jump in and start driving. At the back of my mind, I knew I needed some new tires though, the thread of the ones currently on my car were currently thin and had failed the coin test. The more threads you’ve got on your tires, the more gripping power you have and the shorter the braking distance. (read: http://www.tireamerica.com/research/the-penny-tire-test)

Sunday, last week, I had to drop my sister at church, and head to work;. Over the previous days, it hadn’t been snowing that much so I figured I would be fine driving my car even with my “bad” tires. I woke up that morning and looked outside, it had snowed the night before. When it snows, the roads become caked up with snow and become very slippery. You have to drive way below the speed limit so as not to lose control of your car. You accelerate really slow, you decelerate even slower, cos the tendency for you to lose control of your vehicle increases when you’re driving on ice, your car is in motion and you slam on your brakes suddenly. On a normal day, when it snows at night, the snow-ploughing emergency services department kicks in. Before 6:00am, special trucks carrying ice-melting salt would already be on the roads followed closely by trucks with big “shovels” in front to plough the snow from the road so as to make them motorable.

For some reason that day, they hadn't ploughed the roads. Ice and snow were on the roads, perfect recipe for disaster.
I got into my car along with my sister and started driving, on getting to a red light at the end of the road, I misjudged my braking distance and slammed my brakes on too suddenly. I lost control of my car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TheManOfTheYear: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2018
When man go comot from this country?

24 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Inkredible(m): 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2018
TheManOfTheYear:

Odu nyi!

Na mind guy!

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by timidapsin(m): 3:31pm On Jan 05, 2018
TheManOfTheYear:
maybe when you change your Nland signature God will consider you.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TheManOfTheYear: 3:47pm On Jan 05, 2018
timidapsin:
maybe when you change your Nland signature God will consider you.
Wetin do the siggy?
Hmmm.. even if I dey Yankee,my brother I must search all the Nigerian restaurants until I see ewa agoyin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Philian112(m): 6:05pm On Jan 05, 2018
[quote author=TomHagen post=63894688]What is right?

Is there any employer anywhere in the world that will be happy at losing good employees or has your self- hate completely eroded your sense of reason?[/quote

Are you even in this country? I'm not sure, Do u knw that their are private recruiting Companies everywhere? And when you're been given an employment to a company by them you're being labeled as " 3rd party "� which means almost half of your Full salary pay is taken by them and the rest Divided into salary , pension, housing allowance and all sorts of cock and bull shit they prints on ur pay slip, and mind you you're still doing the same job or more wit the "Staffs" in that Company. No job security , you think you're The best worker it'll take the grace of God to get Staffed.

Guy I understand you're Trying to see or make Our Mother country Nigeria a better place bt its just not what it is, you better face the reality.( We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results, if we continue in this trend we'll keep stagnating).
And 4 telling me to shut up, well I'll only tell you to Listen up and Come back home an see what we're actually going through. That if you're in 9ja.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.