Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,966 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389315 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Day 10

Finally I get to write a diary, one I would love to read in a few months time and smile.

Writing a piece on how events unfold would ease the tension building up in my soul.

Today's church service was one to remember....
The choir performed Tye Tribbett's (hope I got the spelling right) 'He turned it', lovely music.
The YouTube live performance video trips me till eternity.

Still wondering why today is day number 10?
Stick around more and you will find out...

Nepa abi na Phcn abi na Phed, una try,
4 days without light, no explanation...
Fashola wehdone sir! Naija I hail!

Off to generate my own electricity...

I hope to remain only on this thread, no p.m's , no mails, no whatsapp...

If possible, all questions should be asked here...

This user is dedicated strictly to this thread, please understand and bear with me. Thank you. smiley

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:34am On Jul 17, 2017
Day 9

My sleep pattern has been very irregular...
Been on for over a month and I am used to it.

Up as expected but quite earlier than usual.

I love the quietness of the mornings accompanied by good music smiley

Hoping I finally get to offload my 'Transporter' today, I need to leave this town.

Now Playing: Jack Garratt - Surprise Yourself.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2017
Finally, I am home...

So tired, packing out of an apartment is difficult work cry

What did I do to my properties? Most were given out and a few sold, people just want everything for free!

Coming back to the major plan for today which was selling my T.P - it didn't work out! All plans have changed, movement to Lagos postponed to a date only God knows. Pheeew! embarassed

Hard to believe the sale didn't happen, I was so certain it would be positive - I am tired of buyers not sealing our deals. This has been on for 2 weeks...

Should I wait till weekend for a rescheduled deal or I drive down to Lagos to find a buyer?? #Thinking

11 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:41pm On Jul 18, 2017
Day 8

Phewww...
Moving out of an apartment is more difficult than moving in. Still not done packing but come 5a.m tomorrow, I will be Lagos bound...

Fluids, battery, plugs, suspension are all in order. Will confirm vehicle paperwork before sleeping.

So much to do in so little time. cry

Join me tomorrow for my road trip from Port Harcourt to Lagos. I am a sisi, 100km/hr.... Life no get duplicate. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:48am On Jul 19, 2017
Day 7

Wish I could just stay at home but...

I have to leave, next week is fast approaching.

Today is set for the road trip, join me as we go on this exciting journey. smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:14am On Jul 19, 2017
Started the journey to Lagos.

Plan is to go through the East-West Road, through Warri, Benin and then fire down to Lagos.

Undecided as to go through Benin town or through Benin bypass. When I get there, anywia my belle face I put head. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:17am On Jul 19, 2017
The weather has been fair to me, no sun, cloudy all the way and a lil bit of rain shower between warri and Sapele.

A picture of what the weather looks like...

Currently stretching my legs at Sapele roundabout eating my kpekere and lacasera... I dread runny stomach while travelling.

12 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:26am On Jul 19, 2017
I took one last picture of Port Harcourt @Rumuokoro.

A picture while on the Kiama bridge.

One showing the flyover @ Effurun roundabout.
Pictures will come when network improves.

Will be heading to Benin now.... with 110km/hr and Oluwa by my side, I'll get there safely. smiley

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hmmm..

I did the unthinkable.. Drove all the way from Sapele to Lagos without stopping anywhere. lipsrsealed

Shouldn't I just start long distance transport business??

Glad I arrived safely cheesy I didn't tell anyone I would do the drive down, fear no go let them allow me. cheesy

Need to shower, eat and rest...
Been a long day. Oluwa thank you. smiley

33 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2017
Day 6

Today went well in a way...

New city, new sights, fresh breath.

Visited the balogun/mandillas market to buy a few items today, kai! Things cost fa!

I didn't buy 'anything', I only got the travelling boxes I set out for.
I enjoyed the view though, massive crowds, lots of buyers and sellers and most especially loads of wares on display. Settles my spirit more into Lasgidi. smiley

Pink sample below sells for 50k online.

Mine was bought at 40k for both 28" and 24" of the exact same item. I guess I had a good bargain - you be the judge.

19 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
On my return journey from the market, I saw the very popular Christ Cathedral at CMS, Union building and the UBA building also.

The Lagos state govt is really working hard... I am impressed by the level of work done on the Badagry to Lagos Island transportation project.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:06am On Jul 21, 2017
Day 5

What did I do!?? shocked
Agreeing to help a friend run an errand at far away Ogba wasn't a smart choice. Totally off my axis, how the hell did I agree to this?

Selflessness is a b*tch! undecided
Let's see how the trip goes... Hope the effort won't be a wasted one.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:03pm On Jul 21, 2017
I did the trip - check up an Es350.

Car was a naija used in actual terms, tires gone (all 4), brake pads and rotors gone, leather seats half dead, power steering fluid reservoir filled to the brim - oga, na so e deh deh - f*ck me! cheesy

Even with the min and max marks, they still over filled it. Doing a turn was more difficult than driving an 18 Wheeler. cheesy

Deal was busted, no way we were buying!

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:07pm On Jul 21, 2017
Today was more fruitful, got a few extra items.
I am gradually overcoming the shock of the high prices of items.

Tomorrow is the local government election in Lasgidi, I need the rest jare. Currently hanging out with my friends, make we chop life small. wink

Countdown slowly winding down. smiley

Stay tuned, the D-Day is around the corner. wink

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:24pm On Jul 22, 2017
Day 4

Today was simply quiet, I didn't go out until evening...

The Local govt elections held and it was peaceful in my area.

I did the major packing of my belongings today, mainly clothes.

Luckily I am still within the weight limit, I have got 2kg free on bag 1 and 10kg free on bag 2.

Weighing was easy - I got a digital scale for 4k total price (cheaper than paying for excess luggage), weighed myself, then weighed again while carrying my luggage...
The difference in weight was the luggage weight.

Tomorrow should be a quiet day also...
This rain no be here ooo.... Weather forecast predicts it would rain till the D-Day.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:17pm On Jul 23, 2017
Day 3

Phewww! What a day! smiley

Still out with my friends doing a final send forth, 2 locations down and one more to go. One friend - my manchi - came in from far away to say his final goodbye, I'll miss him.

Sold my 'transport' today to an old friend, alert don enter cheesy He is very glad he got a good deal. He is way happier than I am. smiley

Hope tomorrow has a fair weather, still got a few running around to do.

Will do an online check-in tomorrow....
Nanite my people.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
Day 2

This is the eve before D-Day....

Quite a busy day, soooo tired.

Flight will hold as scheduled, bags 70% packed but I am good to go. Need some sleep, today was a success.

Join me tomorrow as you and I will fly from Lagos to Houston. smiley Online check in isn't going thru, I will have to head to the airport as early as I can.

I hate flying but what can a man do? embarassed

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:57am On Jul 25, 2017
D-Day

I am up already...

I still feel normal even though I am a first time international traveller, only difference is that I'll miss a lot of people.

Woke up and realized I would be leaving the country in a few hours not for vacation but for a longer stay... I never thought this day would come, but here it finally is. smiley

Let me finalize my packing and await my pick up vehicle.

See you all later. smiley

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:09am On Jul 25, 2017
I have been at the airport for 2hours now...

Everything is moving fine. smiley

Will drop updates soon. Already at my Boarding Gate. wink

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:18am On Jul 25, 2017
Got to the airport around 7, my brother drove me down.

Smooth ride, roads were traffic free.

Headed for the Departure Terminal of the International Wing.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:23am On Jul 25, 2017
Next was Check-In....

i joined the queue, Oboy! My digital scale fall my hand!!! angry 10kg error on each bag! shocked shocked shocked

I weighed 18kg at home, at the airport it was 28kg! sad

The other was 20Kg at the airport so I quickly did some item shifting and put two clothes in my carry on...
Everything balanced out and I cleared here. smiley

Joined a second queue for actual check in.
Drop my USA contact and address and my bags were tagged and sent off....

I was given a yellow card about this time for free. Filled it and will be submitting to immigration/customs.

I also got my Boarding pass here. smiley

Dunno if I'll see it again at Doha, make we deh look.

Next was cash exchange.

*Pic of departure hall. Made the pictures blurred to keep out the faces.

18 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:28am On Jul 25, 2017
Went to a BDC counter...

Oga, bring your passport, boarding pass, bvn, phone number and ticket as paperwork.... our people too like paperwork. undecided

I had my ticket in electronic form, showed dem my phone and they said, Oga go and print it and photocopy visa abi na something else. Print my ny*nsh and b*llz I thought. undecided

My brother said their wahala is too much ...
Headed to the neighbouring counter and they had a copy machine for my passport data page.

I used a code to verify my BVN and then did a cash transfer using mobile app... They gave me their Acc number which was same as my bank, teas a seamless process.

Immigration was next...

Make I ease myself first, kidneys were calling...
The toilets were cleannnn, cleaning was even ongoing as I was entering. The hand drier wasn't working though, overall it was 7/10 - no techy sturvs in there viz sensor flush, auto opening doors etc cheesy they would have scored 9/10.

12 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2017
9.56am and the plane just taxied in.

An Airbus A330. Boarding will soon start.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2017
Headed to immigration and I have not dropped a kobo 'yet'... this is really going on well smiley

Did the long turn left, turn right walk. Got to counter 1 - where is your final destination? Purpose of travel? I answered, Houston and schooling.
Oga drop something for breakfast oooo, I willingly gave them 500, a male and female.

Counter 2 - oga, your passport please, na me go stamp am o. I dropped another 5h, after all, I was 'prepared' naira-wise and nobody was forcefully collecting any money as against what I have been hearing....

This way Sir... Headed to the electronic door/hand luggage scanner area.

Shoes, belt, laptop, wallet, phones... etc etc were dropped in the tray.
I cleared.

Body search... him: Oga, what's in this pocket? Me: Small change. Empty the contents showing the naira notes.
Him: You be aro? cheesy I laughed, I no know wetin you mean o I was wearing a red sweater...

He held unto the naira notes.... Make I hold this one.
Me: take one, I go still need settle inside..... another 5h willingly.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:12am On Jul 25, 2017
10.12am and those that arrived on the Qatar plane are disembarking.

I can see our air hostesses... Abeg, dem sharp cheesy cool

21 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2017
Next was to the boarding gate...

Was easy finding it, I arrived at the counter, passport and boarding pass checked, pass was scanned and their part detached and all documents handed back time.

I dropped 5h here, need to release the naira.

Next was the body search, dropped laptop bag, phones and wallet in the basket/tray.

Him: Lemme see what you have in your wallet... it sounded like a format to me...
Me: spotting a 1k in it, I said today is your lucky day. cheesy I gave him, he was so happy and prayed for me.

Off to sit, still waiting to board.

36 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:50am On Jul 25, 2017
Boarding started...

Families and aged first, then I think Premium before Economy tickets.

We don deh board. wink

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:09am On Jul 25, 2017
smiley Boarded now...

Waiting for take off... See you all in Doha.
If there is an on flight wifi, then our jisting continues.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:40pm On Jul 25, 2017
Arrived at Doha... Large airport and a very beautiful place. smiley

If care is not taken, person fit loss for here.

Did a serious search for a charging point and found one. It is still three-pin plug in like naija style. My phone u.s two-pin charger also worked.

First pictures of the airport below...

37 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:48pm On Jul 25, 2017
The flight from Lagos was a smooth one, as you all know, I hate flying! Take off is a nightmare!

Air bound and before long the meals came in...
Rice and chicken sauce, God bless the person wey cook am grin
Three course meal, bread, butter, cheese, chocolate, fanta and one mede-mede like that. I only chop wet in I know cheesy
This was lunch.

Towards evening naija time, they rolled in snacks...
Cake and chicken pie + tea. This people sabi sontin!

An hour before landing chips was shared, yet to eat mine, Over feeding can kill.

In between meals, water, tea, juice and coffee was available on demand.

We also had a screen for entertainment, we could also track our flight as it progressed. smiley

Two let Downs though, no charging port and no onboard wifi.
NOTE: If you flew Business class and still couldn't charge and browse, abeg go collect refund, na cheating.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:02pm On Jul 25, 2017
I wore a sweater all the way from Lagos, so cold wasn't a problem. We were given a light weight blanket that served a good purpose too.

Aircraft's noise was not soothing, I used my earpiece to plug my ears all through. Ear plugs were provided for this purpose.

Free wifi is available here and that's what I am using.
Logged in with my Reference number and Last name.

I hope I don't sleep and miss my flight...

See y'all later.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:17am On Jul 26, 2017
Still at the airport...
There are a lot of sitting areas if you move far from the arrival lot/shopping areas.

The cold for inside here na die! See freezer! Winter never come and I wan kpai! cry

Choi! I prefer the cold inside the plane to this one. grin

This people get time... They have a room where one can play video games. Make I go play? Jonse forget my connecting flight. cheesy

57 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.