Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684201 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by GoldCircle: 9:57am On Jan 13, 2017
going by recent events on this thread; it is safe to say that this thread has been successfully derailed. We have brought our 'Nigerianess' to bear again.

We are just a unique set of people. whether diaspora or not. We are who we are.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Teddywhiz1: 10:27am On Jan 13, 2017
Someone should just create a new thread diaspora vs Nigeria....make we go face ourself for there

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by GoldCircle: 11:08am On Jan 13, 2017
Teddywhiz1:
Someone should just create a new thread diaspora vs Nigeria....make we go face ourself for there

We've had these episodes of 'diaspora vs Nigeria' countless times on NL and it always descends into verbal abuse and insults. You can search the archives and see for yourself. It's more of a superiority fight. the 'I'm better than you' kind of thing. It is who we are.

Why can't we just learn that not everyone wants to relocate abroad and at the same time not everyone wants to remain in Nigeria? Home is where the heart is! It's the part you've chosen for yourself. Don't force it down on others.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2017
GoldCircle:

We've had these episodes of 'diaspora vs Nigeria' countless times on NL and it always descends into verbal abuse and insults. You can search the archives and see for yourself. It's more of a superiority fight. the 'I'm better than you' kind of thing. It is who we are.

Why can't we just learn that not everyone wants to relocate abroad and at the same time not everyone wants to remain in Nigeria? Home is where the heart is! It's the part you've chosen for yourself. Don't force it down on others.
Sorry bro, your last
statement, though "Don't force it down on others" ? How I wish our leaders are reading these comments.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2017
this thread derailed because FrankNetter will rather talk than upload pictures.
thought it was yankee through the eyes and not mouth of a village boy

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13, 2017
sledjama:

Don't be stupid.

34 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Successjoy(f): 5:02pm On Jan 13, 2017
Bossman:
The skills that can help land a job with good pay are Computer programming, any of the engineering fields (civil, electrical, etc), Medical Doctor, Nurse, etc. As an IT consultant (Application developer/programmer), I can certainly tell you that even a fresher with only 2 years out of college can command upwards of $60/hr, depending on experience. Everything is getting automated, so you can't go wrong with programming and any of the fields above. BTW, I have been doing this for a very long time.

Not saying the other fields are not ok, but these ones will land you a job quickly.

PS. The certifications, computer programming degree, etc. should be done after arriving. Anything computer related from Nigeria will not hold any weight here at all. We do serious coding/programming in the schools here.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2017
With all the pictures that have already been uploaded, someone is still complaining. What a joke!

sledjama:

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:34pm On Jan 13, 2017
Bossman:
With all the pictures that have already been uploaded, someone is still complaining. What a joke!

That's the same mentality that's keeping nigeria exactly where it is right now. Stupidity.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 13, 2017
FrankNetter:

That's the same mentality that's keeping nigeria exactly where it is right now. Stupidity.
Na true my broda......
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Teddywhiz1: 7:09pm On Jan 13, 2017
FrankNetter:

Don't be stupid.
What a hilarious and conscise reply! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by jonaifame22(m): 8:41pm On Jan 13, 2017
Pls when u visit the brothel there, pls snap oics and post it lemme feed my eyes

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Teddywhiz1: 9:05pm On Jan 13, 2017
jonaifame22:
Pls when u visit the brothel there, pls snap oics and post it lemme feed my eyes
chai..... How did you know he is a brothel goer now? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Sammypope4all(m): 9:06pm On Jan 13, 2017
OP, thanks for this journal. It's indeed an eye opener and a decision tag for an individual like myself who had been contemplating on either staying ( as regards the stories of racism and dehumanization of blacks and the "e no easy thing I hear often from ppl) or leaving. With your post and some of the comment seen so far, I think it's obvious what to choose now.

However, when you compare and contrast the merits and demerits between Yankee and naija, I think the reality it's obvious to the deaf and visible to the blind but the " you fit make am here too has really made people( like me) to stop thinking that while you can have stream you can also get an ocean.

For Naija, Na man No man, God help you if your parent are not in the power radar you go hear winnnn. From primary school till Uni, it has always been like that. Ever wonder why it's only a regular being take the queue of admission into higher institution( a wasted 4 years seeking admission) while the connected once either get the front row or even go oversees self. I just Dey vex as I Dey type this thing because I suppose don vamut since.....

God bless you OP me self go soon join you.

One more thing, then they drink beer wella for there?? Me like beer oo

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 13, 2017
FrankNetter:

very short comment but riddled with ignorance, you are right by saying you are a village boy.

you just picked on/disrespected your country of birth by tagging her stupid.
Charity they say begins at home, if you can't show some respect to your country, how will you respect another man's

Nigeria is not the best country in the world, and sure isn't the worst.
"wherever" you think Nigeria is at the moment, It will one day get out of it.
Buhari may not be getting it right, but he is making efforts to and in the next 2 years
we may try another hand and someday, Trust me, we will get things right.
This i know because Rome or America wasn't built in a day.

If you Nigerian-Americans have any useful pictures to post, please post them and stop the boring stories already.
you are not the first to travel abroad sirs.

17 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 13, 2017
Bossman:

maybe something is wrong with my computer because all i see is text, no images.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 13, 2017
Who else has terrible weather forecast this weekend?
Several warnings of an ice storm and I had to google it.
Found this youtube video and it was not looking nice at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0aS0Tdy_lQ
All this midwest crazy weather conditions can scare person:
tornado and co.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Darey00(m): 10:27pm On Jan 13, 2017
NIGERIA

Pros
- Freedom to walk anywhere without fear of racial profiling or attacks
- You can bend rules if u know the right people and have the right cash (Part of our problems but hey it's an advantage anyway)
- Communal belonging

Cons
- Order of things are not in existence
- Basic amenities are being so deprived of us that they have become luxuries
- Corruption is so deep that we just vote for the lesser evils among our leaders
- Tribal discord

ABROAD (US, UK, & Canada)

Pros

- Law and order in place
- Basic amenities are readily available
- Opportunities abound and u are properly rewarded for labour

Cons

- High cost of living in form of taxes and daily neccesities
- The racial discrimination always there regardless of how u may try to hide it
- Loneliness may set in as people tend to mind their business
- A small scape with the law can land u in serious trouble..
- Worrisome gun laws in the US

The way I see it, it all depends on which risk u are willing to take. We keep saying 9ja is bad (me sef lol) but people are still making it without setting foot abroad. Likewise travelling out is not always equal to be instantly better than ur 9ja peeps.
I for one if I was given the choice would gladly emigrate to the US.. as I believe I stand a better chance there. That is not to castigate Nigeria as our problems are deeply rooted not only in our leaders but our orientation.. So we are all part of the problem.

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:36pm On Jan 13, 2017
sledjama:

very short comment but riddled with ignorance, you are right by saying you are a village boy.

you just picked on/disrespected your country of birth by tagging her stupid.
Charity they say begins at home, if you can't show some respect to your country, how will you respect another man's

Nigeria is not the best country in the world, and sure isn't the worst.
"wherever" you think Nigeria is at the moment, It will one day get out of it.
Buhari may not be getting it right, but he is making efforts to and in the next 2 years
we may try another hand and someday, Trust me, we will get things right.
This i know because Rome or America wasn't built in a day.

If you Nigerian-Americans have any useful pictures to post, please post them and stop the boring stories already.
you are not the first to travel abroad sirs.

Lol. Isn't it funny how you just hate on someone you haven't even met before. See how stupid you sound?

You're here, on this thread, looking for pictures but at the same time, showcasing your stupidity everywhere. grin

You saw the title of the thread, clicked on it, read through till this present page and came to the conclusion that I am the cause this thread was derailed? You are a special kind of stupid.

I never said I'm the first to travel abroad, neither will I be the last.The joke is on you right now, I'm presently having the time of my life in the United States of America! grin you on the other hand are hating from the confines of the shackles of your mental slavery.

The beauty of this thread is: I'm enjoying myself in the UNITED STATES OF FVCKING AMERICA; I will post what I like, and there's nothing you can do about that. grin grin

42 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by jiinxed: 10:57pm On Jan 13, 2017
See what the thread has turned to grin grin

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 11:03pm On Jan 13, 2017
FrankNetter:

Lol. Isn't it funny how you just hate on someone you haven't even met before. See how stupid you sound?

You're here, on this thread, looking for pictures but at the same time, showcasing your stupidity everywhere. grin

You saw the title of the thread, clicked on it, read through till this present page and came to the conclusion that I am the cause this thread was derailed? You are a special kind of stupid.

I never said I'm the first to travel abroad, neither will I be the last.The joke is on you right now, I'm presently having the time of my life in the United States of America! grin you on the other hand are hating from the confines of the shackles of your mental slavery.

The beauty of this thread is: I'm enjoying myself in the UNITED STATES OF FVCKING AMERICA; I will post what I like, and there's nothing you can do about that. grin grin

That was some brutal sh1t grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

38 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by progress69: 11:03pm On Jan 13, 2017
But what all these clowns are doing in the travel section is what is amazing me.

I mean if u have taken the position u are now, why don't u stick to other sections and forget that the travel section exists.

If u are in the travel section, u definitely want ti travel

If u are hating in the travel section, u dint have money to travel or u have been banned, or denied numerous time. Abi what else are u looking for here?

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 13, 2017
FrankNetter:

i have no reason to hate on you, post pictures or have you been deported so quickly?

8 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.