Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,114 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day (393 Views)

I Will Hold A Private Funeral On Trump’s Inauguration Day – Soyinka / Soyinka: "I Will Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Inauguration Day" / Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day by gevisaf: 2:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Monday, vowed to hold a private funeral on January 20, 2017, the day the United States President-elect, Donald Trump, will be sworn in, threatening to also move his foundation out of the country in protest against unwarranted commentaries generated by the Green card issue.

He had, last week, in Johannesburg, South Africa, told the world that he had destroyed his Green Card to protest the election of Donald Trump in the last U.S presidential election.

A visibly angry Soyinka, who spoke in Lagos about the controversy that arose over his threat to destroy his American Green Card, following the election of Mr. Trump, said the private wake will have nothing to do with U.S. politics but the death of common sense among Nigerians.

“I’m going to hold a private wake on inauguration day not to mourn the decision of Americans in the choice of President but to mourn the death of Nigeria common sense,” he said.

He said the commentaries generated, especially on social media, by his threat to destroy his Green Card might force him to “Wolexit.”

“Wolexit” is a term coined by the literary icon after the “Brexit” referendum in the United Kingdom.

Soyinka, who had earlier used the term to describe his decision to quit the U.S, however, said he had not decided the nature the “Wolexit” might take as it could either be internal (which would see him withdrawing to his Abeokuta sanctuary (Ijegba), external, or mixed.

Describing the whole controversy as a “theatre of the absurd,” Soyinka said he was puzzled that it was something even worth the fuss it generated.

“I hope to leave here today with a little knowledge. I’m puzzled and I don’t know what the fuss is all about.

“Why do you wail more than the bereaved? I’m addressing these illiterates who feel they want to make themselves heard,’’ he said.

He said destroying his Green Card was not the first time he had undertaken such gesture to express his reservation over certain issues, narrating how he destroyed his national medal during a protest at the Race Course (also known as Tafawa Balewa Square) in Lagos during a protest he undertook with late Tai Solarin.

He said: “I took out my national honour medal and I stamped on it. I could have done something else but I would be accused of indecent exposure.

Read More: https://nigeriacurator.com/2016/12/06/soyinka-to-hold-private-funeral-on-trumps-swearing-in-day-2/
Re: Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day by Dreal11247: 2:38am On Dec 06, 2016
But I think when one gets order, he uses elderly wisdom to air his/her views concerning issues.
Re: Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day by Flexherbal(m): 2:38am On Dec 06, 2016
He said: “I took out my national honour medal and I stamped on it. I could have done something else but I would be accused of indecent exposure".
Re: Soyinka To Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Swearing-in Day by Obinnau(m): 5:50am On Dec 06, 2016

(1)

Food For Thought / CAINE PRIZE 2017 Announces Judging Panel / We Were Once Strangers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.