Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s (16262 Views)

Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Motilewa Bolanle Becomes Covenant University's Youngest Phd Holder Ever Produced / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 7:40am On Dec 10, 2016
fratermathy:

The concern with what you earlier said was not with the PhD but with the use of the word "Professor". I understand that it may have be generically used to mean "lecturer" but we both know that in the Nigerian context, it means one who has reached the peak of his/her academic career and thus, we find it unbelievable that someone has done so at the age of 25.

Correct me if I'm wrong but attaining a doctorate degree in Nigeria is generally seen as reaching the peak of your academic career. Please if there are other criterias higher than a doctorate degree that has to be obtained before you can be termed as being at the peak of your career, kindly enlighten me.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Holysholay: 7:40am On Dec 10, 2016
I started PhD at age 27 (unilorin, 2009), obtained BSc and MSc also @ Unilorin. I should have finished at age 30, but had to travel abroad to start PhD afresh in 2011. Finally obtained my PhD at age 31.

So it is possible. Remember, had to waste 1 year on NYSC before MSc.

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 7:42am On Dec 10, 2016
Olumoze:

Men I doubted your initial post till you shared the link however you will agree that only 2 among the six made it using an all Nigerian school certificate.

Agreed

I'm just saying it's possible, although difficult.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2016
Coldfeet:
This is just the problem! Getting a PhD in Nigeria in ones 20s is nearly impossible due to this supervisor thing. They keep frustrating themselves till you are gray and weary to do anything tangible.

Op your best bet in achieving this is to go study abroad forget it in Nigeria.

Supervisors are used by many unserious students as excuses. My M.A. Supervisor is usually demonized by plenty students and I was "brainwashed" into that. However, I soon found out that many of the students demonizing him for keeping them there for years do not turn in chapters as and when due and even when they do, they don't undertake a thorough research. Most just want a degree and think any supervisor would give it to them on a platter of gold.

No supervisor is evil. Although there are quite a few exceptions who would genuinely delay serious students for whatever reason, most will not have issues with you if you do the right things. Even those that have issues can be approached diplomatically and you can make them see where you are coming from.

Some of us that keep making reference to schooling outside the country fail to take into cognizance, the fact that there are better libraries there and the student going there has a necessity to finish on time because of costs of living and expectations.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:45am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

Correct me if I'm wrong but attaining a doctorate degree in Nigeria is generally seen as reaching the peak of your academic career. Please if there are other criterias higher than a doctorate degree that has to be obtained before you can be termed as being at the peak of your career, kindly enlighten me.

Not at all. The height of your academic career is a Professorship. Getting a doctorate is just a conduit towards being a Professor. If you don't intend to pursue a career in the academia, then getting a doctorate may mean the height of your academic 'achievements'.

For those in the academia, after a doctorate, you still have an additional 10years, all things being equal, together with about 30 well researched publications, before you become a Professor.

In the US, it is generally faster and the term "professor" is generally used to refer to Assistant Professors and Full Professors.

And becareful of how you use the phrase "generally seen as" because most Nigerians do know that Professors are at the apex of their careers and are far higher than doctorate degree holders.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by zinnyamyk1: 7:48am On Dec 10, 2016
yes it's very possible. if a student is able to acquire Bsc at 20/21.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 7:51am On Dec 10, 2016
fratermathy:

Not at all. The height of your academic career is a Professorship. Getting a doctorate is just a conduit towards being a Professor. If you don't intend to pursue a career in the academia, then getting a doctorate may mean the height of your academic 'achievements'.

For those in the academia, after a doctorate, you still have an additional 10years, all things being equal, together with about 30 well researched publications, before you become a Professor.

In the US, it is generally faster and the term "professor" is generally used to refer to Assistant Professors and Full Professors.

LOL I highly doubt that our esteemed country follows that pattern, if they do you'll probably rarely ever find a professor. I might be wrong but I believe the system Nigerian Institutions employ is, if you have a doctorate degree from a renowned academic institution then the title is immediately conferred on you. But then again that's my opinion.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:54am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

LOL I highly doubt that our esteemed country follows that pattern, if they do you'll probably rarely ever find a professor. I might be wrong but I believe the system Nigerian Institution employs is, if you have a doctorate degree from a renowned academic institution then the title is immediately conferred on you. But then again that's my opinion.

NO ONE WILL GIVE YOU A PROFESSORSHIP SIMPLY FOR GETTING A PHD.

Getting a PhD qualifies you for Lecturer II rank. From there you move through the ranks below, with publications and teaching experience:

Lecturer I
Senior Lecturer
Reader
Professor.

Moving from one rank to another takes atleast 3 years, if you satisfy all requirements. Then again, you'll have to undergo external assessment before you can become a Reader (associate) and a full Professor. Sometimes, the bureaucracy in attaining a Professorship takes years. On the average, the amount of years you'd take to become a Professor after your PhD is 10-15. Sometimes, politics is even involved.

You should educate yourself on issues such as these if you have any interests whatsoever in academics.

4 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by NickD(m): 8:00am On Dec 10, 2016
LARRYDKING:

PhD is 5 years but if u fall into the wrong hand, ur supervisor can make it 15.
Y u wan give am high blood pressure na. PhD is minimum of 3years but in the institute where I am in uniport u can do it for 2years but it's gonna cost u a lot though.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 8:02am On Dec 10, 2016
fratermathy:

Oga o abeg siddon learn.

NO ONE WILL GIVE YOU A PROFESSORSHIP SIMPLY FOR GETTING A PHD.

Getting a PhD qualifies you for Lecturer II rank. From there you move through the ranks below, with Publications and teaching experience:

Lecturer I
Senior Lecturer
Reader
Professor.

Moving from one rank to another takes atleast 3 years, if you satisfy all requirements.

You should educate yourself on issues such as these if you have any interests whatsoever in academics.

I have no interest in pursuing a career in academia.
I believe this exchange just became irrelevant
The fact remains a professor of mine is aged 25..... He remains my inspiration in all my academic pursuits.

Your choice to belive or not
I bid you a good day Sir
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by ayofimihan(m): 8:03am On Dec 10, 2016
Yep. Very much possible. I'd finish sch at 22(masters inclusive).. If I wanted to have a Ph.D. I think that's achievable before 30.

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by md4real(m): 8:05am On Dec 10, 2016
Yes I have seen one. Finished service at 23. MSC Unilag which is a year and PhD UNN last 4 years.... All before 29
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 8:11am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

I have no interest in pursuing a career in academia.
I believe this exchange just became irrelevant
The fact remains a professor of mine is aged 25..... He remains my inspiration in all my academic pursuits.

Your choice to belive or not
I bid you a good day Sir

And I put it to you categorically that you are either a liar or you don't know what a Professor is. Assuming the person completed his or her PhD at 24, it'd still take atleast 10 years in Nigeria and atleast 5 years in the US for the person to become a full Professor.

Then again, the person maybe called Professor as a honorary title. Every intelligent person is called that at one point in time or another. I call one of the intelligent and young PhD holders I know as Professor but that is strictly honorary and personal.

I like people who learn and accept that they have goofed. You can't just drop a bomb such as this and expect everyone to swallow it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by seunoni34(m): 8:15am On Dec 10, 2016
directonpc:
When Mark Zuckerberg get him PhD?
There is more to life than certificates
It's not about money it's about fulfillment. There's a great and high level of respect attached to having a PhD. Don't underate paper certification because it seems useless in Nigeria, alot of establishments still give honor to certificates. It's gonna give you an edge if you're to go for managerial positions in the future. Who will not want to have an hr or Business developer who has a PhD? Forget all those hype about certificate being useless. Theres a lot of prestige attached to it.

5 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by seunoni34(m): 8:20am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

LOL I highly doubt that our esteemed country follows that pattern, if they do you'll probably rarely ever find a professor. I might be wrong but I believe the system Nigerian Institutions employ is, if you have a doctorate degree from a renowned academic institution then the title is immediately conferred on you. But then again that's my opinion.
Not at all o. PhD only gives you a Dr title, it will take years before you attain the rank of a prof, that must be after so much approvable publications. It's not easy o!

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by foxy2002: 8:23am On Dec 10, 2016
First of all, there is nothing like impossible. Yes you can get it done before you turn 30. It depends on you, your school and God (because some people can intentionally try to slow you down when they see you are young). I have a Ph.D degree and I'm 32 (I took some break after my M.Sc - 1 year waiting for a job and writing my professional exams and 4 years to work, and save money before I started the progragramme) and yes from Nigeria...UNIBEN...and I'm a female. It will be challenging but determination and God supersede everything. Uniben has a policy of at least 3 years, at most 5 years...anything above 5 years, the School's Senate will almost not award you the degree. 

So if you do the math, I should have gotten my Ph.D relatively at 27.‎

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Acecube(m): 8:27am On Dec 10, 2016
possible at Unilorin, the thing is most times the money to pursue advance degrees especially PhD is quite much. So some persons need to work a bit.

Graduate 21/22, service 23... masters 18 months... PhD 3-5 years.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Kdamilola(m): 8:31am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Your replies, Will be very much appreciated.

Yes, it is very possible! Let's assume you are 18 right now and studying a 4 year course... You should be out of school by 22 ceteris paribus, and by 24 you are done with service even if there's slight delay in deployment!
Masters is 1.5-2 years again ceteris paribus. By then, u'd be 26. After that, start your doctorate degree and finish in your late 29!

This I think is achievable IF you are financially buoyant and needs not working! But for those you said u've came across, they might not have no sch luxury of getting someone to sponsor them above bachelor degree, hence the delay.

Hope I try to make myself clear enough!

Thanks.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by jomoh: 8:31am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

thanks very informative, although it sounds heartbreaking, i'll do my best to make the mission possible.

how about in an outside Nigeria setting.

Don't mind that guy. it is very possible but PhD is the most tricky where you need most prayer because if you fall into the hand of a wrong professor, you may be done for. to can even decide to put your service year on hold giving you an extra 1year.

you can do your masters in Uni. Ilorin they hardly go on strikes and have a very fast academic calender. then look for a university that rarely strikes, well organised and has less sourcy professors for your Phd. E.g. Uni. Ibadan. though I don't know about their professors but the remaining two is ok.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Kdamilola(m): 8:37am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

No need to doubt, just do your research! The minimum of years I think you could have bagged your ph.D before becoming a professor in the Nigerian system is 10! So, kindly enlighten yourself more on it please.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Amalision: 8:42am On Dec 10, 2016
it is very very possible. I am 28 years and I am currently doing my PhD here in Nigeria (roughly 1 year now). I will be done three years from now. Based on current NUC guideline u can start your dissertation/research right from the time u started. by the time u are done with course work and seminar, u will immediately present your PhD dissertation/research as applicable to your department. My course work is just 3 course(though I will present one seminar each acceptable for publication in a journal to lecturers in charge of the courses) plus one seminar which will be presented to department n faculty. if ASUU does not go on strike, tell me how am I not going to finish in a maximum of 5 years at worst?

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Zedoo(m): 8:44am On Dec 10, 2016
What dis is doing on the FrontPage still eludes posterity.
Is the aim to get a degree for degree or knowledge sake,
If for knowledge sake (lies) what are you still doing going to the same education system that has kept you handicapped ever since you set foot in it....

Just a question..
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Cindino20(m): 8:45am On Dec 10, 2016
lawani:
IF YOU WRITE SOMETHING WORTH READING, THAT IS ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION IN REPUTABLE JOURNALS IN A PARTICULAR DISCIPLINE AND YOU HAVE LIKE 30 OF SUCH THESIS, YOU ARE A PHD ALREADY. SEE IT AS VOLUME AND QUALITY OF CONTRIBUTION TO HUMAN ADVANCEMENT AND NOT TITLE. I NEED TO TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN DO THIS BY ANALYSING DATA THAT IS ALREADY IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, THEN PUBLISHING YOUR ANALYSIS. JUST PICK A RELEVANT PROBLEM TO SOLVE AND USE WIKIPEDIA, GOOGLE AND ETC AND COME UP WITH AN ORIGINAL ANALYSIS, THAT IS A THESIS, IF WELL RESEARCHED, ANALYSED, ARTICULATED AND WELL WRITTEN. YOU WILL INADVERTENTLY BE GIVEN A PROFESSORIAL SEAT IN HARVARD OR SO.

THAT IS HOW IT WORKS REALLY. HOWEVER, ANOTHER WAY IS TO DO YOUR MASTERS, BE TELEGUIDED BY SUPERVISORS, PAY SCHOOL FEES AND ETC. THAT IS A GOOD WAY TOO . IT IS THE CONVENTIONAL WAY.

Crap...advisin someone who intend to do a doctorate to use wikipedia shocked grin cheesy.

Obviously u ve lil or no knowledge abt the subject matter.

@OP after your Bachelors ..look for a tuition free country to do your masters eg Germany..(if you ve the means go to the US) and after your masters if you make a good grade...you will get a phd offer with funding.

I will advise you not to do your graduate study in Nigeria esp as your course is research based.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by VickyRotex(f): 9:13am On Dec 10, 2016
LARRYDKING:

PhD is 5 years but if u fall into the wrong hand, ur supervisor can make it 15.

Haaaa! 15 ke? How na? cheesy
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Olupapa(m): 9:15am On Dec 10, 2016
I will advise you to relax. Believe me, you can do it. Worst cases only occur on rare cases. Just focus and be Prayerful.

Estimate Minimum of 2 years for Masters and 3 years for PhD.
God can do it.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Certifiedboss: 9:18am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Your replies, Will be very much appreciated.

My cousin is concluding her PhD in 3months. She's 28
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by homesteady(m): 9:22am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

Nooo ohh! A professor is like a god wherever he or she is! It really takes time and lot of research to become a professor! In UNIBEN, there is only one professor in Anatomy department currently, and she is one very old white woman, who got her PhD in the 60`s. And there are many PhD holders there, PHD holders who are consultants and fellows of West Africa college of Surgery!

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by guiddoti: 9:34am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

thanks, but my question is more concerned about how possible it is, in the Nigerian setting.
If there is no hater, it's very possible within the context of your age. You should also consider other factors as well, like ASUU strike etc
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Omonoba1: 9:37am On Dec 10, 2016
homesteady:

Nooo ohh! A professor is like a god wherever he or she is! It really takes time and lot of research to become a professor! In UNIBEN, there is only one professor in Anatomy department currently, and she is one very old white woman, who got her PhD in the 60`s. And there are many PhD holders there, PHD holders who are consultants and fellows of West Africa college of Surgery!
yeah,,she's prof baxter grillo..To be a prof isn't just a walk in the park.. It takes time and frequent publications

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by mengho(m): 9:39am On Dec 10, 2016
why are people in so much rush, even if you get the PHD, some rich kid with only a 3rd class B.SC might still be your oga at work
1-unless ofcourse you aint planing to work in Nigeria.
2-God helps you due to ur strong prayers & dedication.

Just chillax, shebi you are in a hurry to go somewhere
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 9:46am On Dec 10, 2016
uzolexis:

Don't belittle someone's dream cos it's different from yours, everybody cannot be Mark Zurkerberg or aspire to be Mark Zurkerberg, some want to be great scientist/researchers/academics and a PhD helps them achieve that.
You are right sha! It's a cool dream when u have a rich dad to fund ur education till PhD
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 9:47am On Dec 10, 2016
seunoni34:

It's not about money it's about fulfillment. There's a great and high level of respect attached to having a PhD. Don't underate paper certification because it seems useless in Nigeria, alot of establishments still give honor to certificates. It's gonna give you an edge if you're to go for managerial positions in the future. Who will not want to have an hr or Business developer who has a PhD? Forget all those hype about certificate being useless. Theres a lot of prestige attached to it.
Even Mark will prefer to hire business experts with PhD. U are right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB To Invigilate 2017 UTME With CCTV Cameras / Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal / The Oke-ogun Polytecthnic,saki 2014/2015 Admission Processes For ND And DNP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.