Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,567 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Undocumented US Migrants Meet To Discuss Possibilities Of Trump Presidency - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Undocumented US Migrants Meet To Discuss Possibilities Of Trump Presidency (348 Views)

Faces Of 39 Migrants Who Froze To Death In Refrigerated Truck In U.k(Pics) / Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder / 39 Frozen Bodies Found In Refrigerated Trailer In U.K Were Chinese Migrants(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Undocumented US Migrants Meet To Discuss Possibilities Of Trump Presidency by ovyekuju(m): 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
If I get deported, can my 18-year-old son take care of my youngest child? What should I do if an immigration agent knocks on my door? Do I have the right to a Spanish-speaking lawyer?

These were some of the questions raised by undocumented migrants who met recently at a community center to prepare for the worst after Donald Trump’s surprise November 8 presidential election victory.

The Republican, who launched his White House quest denouncing Mexican immigrants as “rapists” and drug traffickers and vowing to build a wall on the southern US border, has threatened to deport millions of undocumented migrants, starting with those with criminal records.

“We still have two months to get organized,” said Mexican-born Gonzalo Mercado, the director of the La Colmena community center who organized the event in Staten Island, New York’s most conservative borough.

“We don’t want to instill fear, but we must prepare for the worst because we don’t know what’s going to happen,” he told the group.

About 40 undocumented immigrants turned out for the late night meeting, anxious about what the future holds.

They are not alone. The Mexican consulate in New York has been flooded with requests for appointments from nationals seeking to legalize their migratory status.

The waiting list for an appointment at New York Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office is now four to five months long, despite the Democrat’s promise to fight for the rights of the city’s undocumented residents.

Cesar Vargas, a young lawyer who is himself undocumented, has drawn up an eight page emergency action plan for undocumented immigrants, which was handed out to the crowd at La Colmena.

The plan includes practical advice.

Continue reading at http://www.bookspen.com/undocumented-us-migrants-meet-discuss-possibilities-trump-presidency/

(1) (Reply)

#GhanaElection 2016: President Mahama’s concession speech / 101yr Old Rapist, Faces Jail In Britain / This Politically New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.