Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious (897 Views)

Why Asari Dokubo Threat Is Valid / PDP Warns Clark, Tompolo And Dokubo Over War Threat / Asari Dokubo Sued Over War Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 10:03am On Nov 13, 2009
Ojukwu's war threat: Please, let's get serious
By SAM OKEY NWOSU
Friday, November 13, 2009

After reading the lead story of Daily Sun of November 2, 2009, where Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu reportedly talked about war, it became pertinent to put pen to paper to air my view. I feel that my view is probably shared by almost all Igbos, regarding Dim Ojukwu's comment. Do I agree with Dim Ojukwu that a court's verdict in favour of Dr Andy Uba could trigger a civil war?
First of all; I do not believe Dim Ojukwu made such comment. I am wont to believe he was quoted out of context. However, if it is true that he said so, then I am very disappointed. 39 years after civil war, will remember the near annihilation of all of us. Those of us born in the 60s, just before the war, that are alive today will ever remain grateful to God almighty and to General Yakubu Gowon, whom out of his magnanimity and Godliness declared, "No victor, no vanquished." If the man had the mind of Adolf Hitler, he would have wasted all of us and nothing would have happened.
Now, are you telling me that this Dim Ojukwu, who declared an ill-advised, ill-prepared and selfish war that wasted the lives of countless able-bodied and well educated Igbo people; could still be talking of war, after taking Igbos through a war, where millions of people died of diseases and starvation.
As a toddler, I saw mothers looking like skeletons and carrying babies that looked like skeletons. I saw children like me dying daily in their hundreds and being thrown away without the dignity of burial, due to a war that our parents were either deceived or forced to believe in; a war that caused my people their leadership position in Nigeria; a war that has reduced "Ndigbo" to third class citizens. For God's sake! How can an elder statesman like Dim Ojukwu, at 76, talk about war in this 21st century? Did the Yorubas go to war, when June 12, 1993 election was annulled and Abiola died in detention? Did the Hausa/Fulani go to war when Abacha died?
Dim Ojukwu wants to go to war because of a case that will be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction: who went to war when Governor Peter Obi's tenure was interpreted? Did Dr Andy Uba go to war, when after spending so much time and resources he was asked to step down, after just 17 days in office? Did Andy Uba raise any dust or talk about war? Anyway, as I said; I refuse to accept that Dim Ojukwu made such statement.
Regarding Dim Ojukwu's assertion that, "The Anambra people are still looking to me, and I am sure that most of them have already decided that, if we have to fight again, I will be Commander-in-Chief?" You can see that the statement credited to Dim Ojukwu is unbelievable: it is a huge joke. Pick up your phone and ask any Anambra person if he wants war and hear the answer he/she will give to you. How can you talk about war to the Anambra person, when he has property and businesses all over the country? Please, let's be serious.
Also, according to that report, "Plans have been perfected to return Uba to Government House Awka." This seems to me like an affront on the integrity of our judiciary because of all the nonsense some faceless people are writing in the papers. It is not even in Dr. Uba's character to try and influence anything. He believes in rule of law, and that is why he has been going to different courts to try and get justice. If God decrees that he will get his mandate, no amount of blackmail, intimidation or rumour can stop him.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 10:11am On Nov 13, 2009
"Those of us born in the 60s, just before the war, that are alive today will ever remain grateful to God almighty and to General Yakubu Gowon, whom out of his magnanimity and Godliness declared, "No victor, no vanquished." If the man had the mind of Adolf Hitler, he would have wasted all of us and nothing would have happened."

*ROTFLMAO*
cheesy
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by metalgong5(m): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2009
There is no doubt that the unadulterated words of advise offered by the great Odumegwu Ojukwu had broken the spine of the corrupt appellate court judges. . . . . And this is one of the reasons we always regard OJUKWU as our beloveth HERO.

As for Andy Uba and his croonies in the media, you sycophants would never perceive the aroma of Anambra state government house . . . Infact. Andy Uba,you just encountered your political water loo  the very moment your media boys decided to challenge the fatherly advise of OJUKWU . . a man of intellectual fecundity
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 4:30pm On Nov 13, 2009
I pity you & your people who blindly follow ojukwu!
Wait until FG wipes out the entire igbo race, because of one man's stupid ambition
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by grafikdon: 6:06pm On Nov 13, 2009
donjon:

Wait until FG wipes out the entire igbo race, because of one man's stupid ambition

You may want to curb your salivation over the extermination of the Igbo race. They were here before you and they will be here after you're out of the picture.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by jona2: 6:17pm On Nov 13, 2009
donjon:

lipsrsealed
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by metalgong5(m): 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2009
donjon:

You are an slowpoke from a low life tribe . . . bunch of freaking cowards. Anuofia!! sad
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by mekusxxx: 7:24pm On Nov 13, 2009
Donjon (omo ole),

Yoruba should first deal with the culture of fraud that is ravaging their land before they open their smelly and big mouth. EFCC data has shown that Yoruba are 58.8% more corrupt than the Igbo.

Do the math here: http://efccnigeria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=72

This is in addition to the fact that all the most wanted people on EFCC list are Yoruba

See am here http://efccnigeria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=25&Itemid=59
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by mekusxxx: 7:26pm On Nov 13, 2009
Ojukwu was right’ -Dr Dozie Ikedife
By DAVID ONWUCHEKWA, Nnewi

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The recent media attack on Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu over his purported statement that another civil war can burst out because of Anambra 2010, has attracted the reaction of his kinsman and immediate past president general of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Dr Dozie Ikedife. The elderstatesman has fired back at those who called Ojukwu names over the said publication.

Ojukwu

“I’m not his PR man, but I think fair should be fair. If you have grudges against him, wait for a proper opportunity then vent your spleen. It is not proper venting your spleen at a wrong time on a wrong issue based on a statement you have not read, I think it is unfortunate,” Dr Ikedife complained.

Read on:

What Odimegwu Ojukwu is

He stands out as so many things to so many people; from being a hero to being a villain. And because of my relationship with him, the view I have of him is not the view many people have of him. I leave that aside.

But let me go straight to the question of his being at the centre of the storm because of what he said about Andy Uba on the prospect of his being the Governor of Anambra State.

First of all, let me state the way I see the matter. It is in court and should, therefore call for minimum comments from ordinary people. It is sub-judice. And when a matter is before a court and the court is about to make pronouncement on it, too many comments may come to mean or appear like directing or trying to influence the court.

But an issue that is in the public arena, of course, will draw comments and not many people, as a matter of fact, know that the matter is in the court. So they speak freely as they feel irrespective of the fact that you can say that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Now, people are talking about one aspect of the matter. They say he is calling for war and so they try to vilify him. I suspect that many people who are writing against and castigating him, calling him all sorts of names have not in fact read his interview in full.

The headline of a story may give an impression of one thing but when you read the content of the story you may come away with exactly different conclusion. What I understand Ojukwu to be saying is that we must all be very careful about the things we do, that we must not indulge in excesses because excesses may precipitate war. And he said that he does not want to be involved in any other war.

People are calling down fire and brimstone on him as if he said we are going to declare war. Go and read it yourself. So some of the commentators are not fair to him. Yes, they did not read his interview very well.

I’m not his PR man, but I think fair should be fair. If you have grudges against him, wait for a proper opportunity then vent your spleen. But venting your spleen at a wrong time on a wrong issue based on a statement you have not read, is unfortunate.

Ojukwu never called for war

He never said he is going to declare war. He never said he is going to lead any war. He never said you people should go to war. He is looking at this thing as an elderly person while sitting in his Ozi Obi, on his traditional stool Upata as he sees something which a young man on top of an iroko tree may not see. That is the way I see it.He is sounding a note of warning and caution. Please, don’t do this because it may lead to something we least expect… and he at his age, as he said, is not prepared to be involved in any other way. And people are spitting fire and brimstone. I think in an issue like this, make sure you read the story very well before reacting or pigeon-holing him.

Waiting for judgement on Uba’s case

When the judgement is given so many people will react either in support or against it because it is a very big issue, a landmark issue. It could now be seen that something that started wrongly can be righted by the court.

My understanding was that the election for a gubernatorial position in Anambra State in April 2007 should never have been held because there was no vacancy. And if that was the case the exercise was an exercise in futility and the result of it should also be futile, null and void. But I’m not a lawyer or judge. So the learned people might see it differently. So, we wait for the court to give its interpretation then we shall all react.

Sentimental

Well, you may read what Ikemba said, and interprete it as being sentimental, You may interpret it as being rational; you may see it as being pre-emptive, or prophetic. Interpret it the way you will. The interpretation I give it may not be your own. So, my interpretation is neither here nor there, But I don’t think sentiment was what was working on. What was working on was a premonition, an anxiety, and a concern. This is somebody who has seen war before and he does not want to see it again.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by Abagworo(m): 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
i dont think ojukwu made a war threat but IMAO i dont think a war is possible in nigeria until 2015.it is in the hands of our present leaders to hold nigeria by zoning the presidency to someone from these eleven states delta,imo,rivers,bayelsa,akwa-ibom,crossriver,ebonyi,edo,anambra,abia and ebonyi state.if that is done,nigeria will rule africa by 2020.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by mekusxxx: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2009
Letters to The Guardian

SIR: Hearing, understanding, interpreting, and translation are functions of ideological disposition and inclination. Hence, it is not surprising that the Senate President, David Mark, was the first person to criticise Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu for warning that he would lead another civil war if the court ruled against the anticipated 2010 gubernatorial election in Anambra State.
While the reaction of David Mark could not be a surprise to all who know his political antecedent, interest and tendency, I felt disappointed with the severally quoted comment of the elder statesman and former head of state, General Yakubu Gowon. My thinking is that all well-meaning Nigerians know that our current rulers promote injustice and electoral fraud, on the altar of politics. I have not seen or heard General Gowon fighting for the electoral reform beyond his praise for Ghana's electoral transparency about two or three years ago. His counter-warning to Chief Ojukwu has revealed that he is less concerned about electoral justice in Nigeria. Not long ago, he allowed himself to be used for the deceptive re-branding programme, when he was made the chairman of the inauguration ceremony.

Chief Raph Uwechue has commented that the Biafran war demonstrated the passion that Chief Ojukwu had and still has for the Igbo, after all is said and done (i.e. notwithstanding human error or imperfection) . One can also note that Chief Ojukwu's recent warning was timely in the Anambra context. You could see there were reports of jubilation when the court deferred judgement, with the application that the people were not ready for anything short of the 2010 gubernatorial election in Anambra State. The warning also symbolised distrust of the Nigerian power holders who use all the forces entrusted to them to truncate electoral transparency.

The Biafran war (1967-1970) was undesirable and avoidable, but it remains a child of certain circumstance. In the present dispensation, it is not only Chief Ojukwu who is clamouring for electoral justice, and I remain convinced that the Nigerian federal power holders are playing with fire. Electoral fraud is volatile. It is a time bomb that will explode any time anywhere in this country unless our rulers purge themselves of egocentric ambitions.

Pius Abioje,
University of Ilorin,
Kwara State
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 10:35pm On Nov 13, 2009
U can hate all you want, the fact is your ojukwu should be shot.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by grafikdon: 10:37pm On Nov 13, 2009
donjon:

U can hate all you want, the fact is your ojukwu should be shot.

I have no problem with that, as long as you host the slugs first.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by semid(m): 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2009
Ojukwu should keep quiet and stop misyarning jare.
Foolish old man!!
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by semid(m): 10:58pm On Nov 13, 2009
Foolish old man!!
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by metalgong5(m): 11:02pm On Nov 13, 2009
semid:

Foolish old man!!

Another son of a bitch has just escaped from his dungeon. . . Umu Anuofia Yoruba!! sad
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:17pm On Nov 13, 2009
semid:

Foolish old man!!

Another product of a leaking condom!
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 12:15am On Nov 14, 2009
Misguided souls
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 12:15am On Nov 14, 2009
Misguided souls
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 12:16am On Nov 14, 2009
Misguided souls
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 12:17am On Nov 14, 2009
Misguided souls
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 12:18am On Nov 14, 2009
Misguided souls
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by asha80(m): 12:25am On Nov 14, 2009
My guy look for rope.You know what to do next.
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by donjon: 1:58am On Nov 14, 2009
After you
Re: Ojukwu's War Threat Is Very Funny: Please, Let's Get Serious by clemiss(m): 11:18am On Nov 14, 2009
we igbos are tired of all this, if this foolish set of human beings who call themselves leaders of nigeria that can not even baost of 24hrs light in their house should stop disgracing themselves & foolishly step down. look at all of them they are afraid of odinary comment of war that is not yet pronounce i think they should allow biafra to declare their states a nation please we want go we are tired of being hungry our roads are mostly bad, erotion eating up our lands youths are turned to criminals by force unemployment every corner proper funding not implemented no well equiped hospital our children dieing of hunger situation of the economy very bad. please nigeria we biafra are due to go. up BIAFRA. cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Help! / Gov Release 2.4 Billion Naira For Law Makers To Impeach Deputy / President Goodluck Jonathan Declare State Of Emmergency In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.