Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate (14018 Views)

FG Approves 22 Firms To Takeover Meter Distribution From Discos (names) / Electricity Discos Performance Below Expectation – NERC / Fashola To Discos: Nobody Forced You To Buy Power Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by osahonmk(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2016
The Senate Committee on Power, Steel Development and Metallurgy has expressed disappointment that electricity Distribution Companies which took over from the Power Holding Company are performing worse than their predecessors.

The Committee chairman, Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe, who led members of the committee on oversight function to Electricity companies in Kaduna said this, in Abuja, on Sunday.

He explained that the performance of the DISCOS today is worse than that of the defunct state-owned National Electric Power Authority which preceded PHCN in terms of revenue collection.

Abaribe, who earlier spoke at the premises of the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company in Kaduna, declared that the committee was unimpressed with the discovery that DISCOS are recording less than 20 percent of the revenues previously collected by the defunct PHCN.

The committee chairman said, “Returns on collection has reduced but the essence of privatisation is to ensure efficiency.

“Now, you are doing less than 20 percent of the previous capacity. We were looking at better collection and better efficiency from you with Privatisation but what we are having is less than 80 percent of what we had.”

Abaribe equally expressed displeasure over the continued reliance on imported electricity meters by the DISCOS at a time when local producers are complaining of low patronage and the nation’s economy is facing a lot of problems due to the shortage of foreign exchange.

Abaribe said, “We have seen that a lot of DISCOS are not doing business with Nigerian manufacturers (of meters) and these companies come to us.

“We talk about capacity but they must have orders fist before they produce. You must look at this area.”

Assistant General Manager, Customer Services Standards of the Nigerian Electricity Distribution Company, Dr. Shittu Shaibu, who also participated in the visit also indicted the DISCOS for failing to meet the performance agreements signed with government.

He said that none of the DISCOS in the country has met up to 20 percent of the metering plans.

Another member of the committee, Suleiman Hunkuyi said discoveries made by the Committee in Kaduna reflected what obtains within the industry in the country. He said Committee would take its time to analyse the challenges and encourage NERC to impose sanctions where necessary.

http://www.energywatchng.com/discos-performance-worse-than-nepa-phcn-senate/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by madridguy(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2016
PDP is the worse thing ever happened to Nigeria.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Tallesty1(m): 9:51am On Dec 12, 2016
The rocket science minister of darkness has gone AWOL.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by veekid(m): 9:53am On Dec 12, 2016

gobe ........ I reserve my comment

But wait sef; why is it that Buhari's administration must have someone to blame for its failure?

Ayam not understanding

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Fairgodwin(m): 9:53am On Dec 12, 2016
Present sir.

But I'm sorry to say we currently have the worst Minister of Power in forever years.

I believe Barth Nnaji was the bomb.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by XXLDICK(m): 9:54am On Dec 12, 2016
The legacy of the ineffectual buffoon

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by garlicrey(m): 9:54am On Dec 12, 2016

grin

15 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Lexusgs430: 9:54am On Dec 12, 2016
DISCO is dancing DISCO with our power supply.
NEPA - Never Expect Power Always
DISCO -Deceiving Infrastructure Supplying Constant Outage

3 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by deloon(m): 9:56am On Dec 12, 2016
The Senator's concern is revenue collection...

11 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by PappiSnow: 9:56am On Dec 12, 2016
Very poor.
It's been days since i saw light last cry

3 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Abbeyme: 9:56am On Dec 12, 2016
A pack of Kettles calling pot black.

Who is more of an inefficient and ineffective gathering of people. I think its the Senate themselves.

When they were collecting GMGs to let anything 'PASS' under them, they didn't know it will come to this?

NEPA and PHCN wont metamorphose into DISCOs without the input of the National Assembly. So, they goofed in their primary and oversight functions.
They should have put law in order to punish / sanction under-performing DISCOs, but they wont simply because of a bag of GMG.

Where there is no law, there is no offense. Shikena

3 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by OkoyeA1(m): 9:56am On Dec 12, 2016
Click like if u understand grin

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by dunkem21(m): 9:56am On Dec 12, 2016

1 Like

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by iornenge81(m): 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
haba. things are getting worse
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by kaymart: 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
it's either that he wasn't given his own share or a air of sanity is blowing across his brain. My own take though. I won't friend with politicians.
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Fairgodwin(m): 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
Lexusgs430:
DISCO is dancing DISCO with our power supply

Rather, the Minister of Power is dancing the DISCO! Don't you think?

8 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by jchuchu(m): 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
Kikiki
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Ijaya123: 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
I blame those who sold out the Discos to friends and cronies. We all have a fair idea who they are.

16 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by mickeyrova(m): 9:57am On Dec 12, 2016
Actually, light has improved drastically in my area (don't know for other places). We even recorded two days uninterrupted supply at some point self.
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Sleekydee(m): 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
Consumers fraudulent activities are too much, from bypassing to conniving with disco staffs to reduce Thier energy consumption bills, no way d discos can catch up, I dnt blame d consumers tho, cos dis is a country whr noting works.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by yomalex(m): 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
very Correct
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by kaymart: 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
it's either that he wasn't given his own share or the air of sanity is blowing across his brain. My own take though. I ain't friends of politicians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Mujaheeeden: 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
Fashola the Minister of Darkness
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by greatiyk4u(m): 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
true
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by buoye1(m): 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
Lie.... Big fat lie
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Ijaya123: 9:58am On Dec 12, 2016
Fairgodwin:
Present sir.

But I'm sorry to say we currently have the worst Minister of Power in forever years.

I believe Bath Nnaji was the bomb.

Is minister of power the owner of the Discos?

Your sentiment and baseless hatred has clouded your brain from objective analysis. Under this current Minister of Power, Nigeria generated over 5000MW of power, the highest in the history of this country. How many was generated under Nnaji?

16 Likes

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by BedLam: 9:59am On Dec 12, 2016
Make it mandatory for all DISCOs to provide meters! One our biggest challenges is "enforcement "!
Meanwhile you can't give what you don't have when there's even no power to supply.

I'm talking Rocket Science.
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 12, 2016
They can never meet their revenue target when they keep bringing bills based on estimate and people keep 'settling' the officials.

1 Like

Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Fairgodwin(m): 9:59am On Dec 12, 2016
Ijaya123:

Is minister of power the owner of the Discos?

You don't get my point, I'm sure.
Re: DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate by Fairgodwin(m): 10:01am On Dec 12, 2016
dunkem21:

Very incompetent and clueless minister ..

Please, don't mention Prof.Barth Nnaji on the same page with this confused lots cool

Hahaha, this guy dey vex o grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023 Election: Desist From Temptation – Jonathan Sends Message To Nigerians / Sudan War: Arewa Youths Demand Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians Trapped / 'Who Lodged N9.3bn Into My Bank Account?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.