Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids (16094 Views)

Myth About Electric & Hybrid Cars: Are They Really For Nigeria? / Hyundai And Kia To Recall 240,000 Cars Over Whistleblower Complaint / 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2016
businessman7:
Good day house please educate me about the advantages and possibly the disadvantages too thanks

ABEG WHAT'S THE MEANING OF HYBRID AND NON HYBRID
Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by nextstep(m): 8:28pm On Dec 18, 2016
In Nigeria, no advantage whatsoever.

1. They are expensive. Sure you'll be saving about 10 a week of fuel. 10k*50 weeks if you drive it every day is about 500k. That hybrid likely cost 2-4M more than a used petrol-only car so you need to keep the car for 4-8 years before you break even. I can afford 10k today, but not 2M extra so no hybrid for me.

2. Expensive to maintain

3. You can't take it to most mechanics as they will just break it for you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by MightyFortress: 10:16am On Dec 19, 2016
Learning
Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by Ricmayak1: 1:11am On Dec 20, 2016
Lower fuel consumption

Higher torque and acceleration compared to non-hybrid versions with similar engine capacity

Quiet

Can be used in accessory mode for a long time as the auxiliary battery is a deep cycle type (e.g playing music while car is off)

Iridium Spark plugs, brake pads last for about 100,000 miles

Car inverter can be used to power other appliances (not directly and at user's risk)

Environmentally friendly

Mostly come as high trim models, like XLE

In case of engine overheat, car can be managed easily to a safe destination or a mechanic workshop. You will simply drive gently, glide and take advantage of downhills to recharge battery

Less maintenance on electric power steering (no fluid), no belt driven Waterbury and AC compressor (not all)

The hybrid system is protected and reliable if we'll maintained

The Atkinson engine is reliable

There are several advantages of hybrid cars compared to non-hybrids.

Regards.
Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by ikefor(m): 10:40pm On Dec 26, 2016
I quite agree with every poster here, and have shared in the typical hybrid scare because of people's bitter experiences.

Long story short, hybrid vehicle are light years better than regular vehicles. To successfully use a hybrid vehicle, you must get the right information - no other way. Thats' why we started “Hybrid Vehicles Fundamentals Program” to equip users and would be users on hybrid vehicle ownership in Nigeria.

Hybrid vehicles by design, are meant to be low maintenance vehicles however people usually get it wrong during acquisition of these vehicles and must live with the consequences, but these could be avoided. For instance, i posted here a while ago in this thread a few of the pitfalls users ought to be aware of “https://www.nairaland.com/2392504/need-advice-2007-camry-hybrid#44119842

Mr. Jossy
2007 prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 prius 2ZR-FXE

hybrids dot com dot ng
Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by faith2ogesco(m): 8:00pm On Jul 10, 2018
ozone0801:
Using Hybrid cars in Nigeria is not feasible at all..

There are just very few technicians in the country who could help fix hybrid car issues, and they charge expensively.

My younger brother uses a 2007 camry hybrid version. The good fuel economy does not compensate for the expensive and outrageous maintenance cost.

The major issue with the Camry variant(the Prius & highlander type appears to be more reliable) is the "check hybrid warning" and "check VSC".

I remember a time we needed to replace the ABS, it was almost impossible to get it at Ladipo, it was scarce and eventually when we got it after weeks of intense search, it was sold for 180k while the non hybrid version of the same car was just 50k.

Let me also add that replacing the hybrid battery pack always costing an arm and a leg, it's not pocket friendly at all. If I remember correctly, I think briscoe offered to replace it for 600k as at 2years ago.

This car gulped well over a 1million naira in its first year of use. I'll advice anyone interested in owning a hybrid car in nigeria to think twice.
Except you're buying it chacha brand new, most of this tokunbos hybrid battery pack have reached functional limit.

Intending car buyers should be extremely careful cos hybrid car owners are already selling their problematic cars to unsuspecting victims at a catch penny price.
bro you are very correct. They say the car battery last 10 yrs without issues but we buy tokunbo in Nigeria. Imagine buying a 2009 hybrid in 2018. 9 yrs don go already
Re: What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids by TRYGO(m): 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2018
Most people talking "evil" about hybrid or electric vehicles, is just because of the battery pack problems.

For instance, if you got a new hybrid vehicle, that's still under warranty from the dealership, you have no problems, because almost all the major HV systems like,

1. Inverter/converter assembly
2. HV pack
3. Transmission systems (eCVT)
4. Electric compressors
n..., would be replaced, by the manufacturer, at no cost to you.

That's simply because you may have being doing a your maintenances at the dealerships, or there was simply a recall on those components as a result of manufacturer flaws.

So, coming home now, when you buy a used hybrid vehicle, be aware that the "juice" in it has already being used.

¶¶¶all other HV components, apart from the HV battery pack, don't get to fail suddenly. But for the HV battery, it is a wear and tear component, like the way tour cars engines wear with time (distances covered, or number of years in use).

So, please, those against hybrid vehicles should realised that y lots of folks in Nigeria are scared and complain about such cars, is because of the cost of maintenance of such cars.

Definitely, the HV battery is like tour phones battery. You shouldn't expect to get 100% capacity from a vehicle that has spent more than 10-15years of usage. It would sure break down, some day.

The vest bet for anyone who wants a hybrid vehicle, is to invest in the battery, either by,

1. Get new battery from Toyota USA for $3000
2. Rebuilt one from any junk yard, or accident car
3. Get a used battery pack from the open market

Option #1, would take you to 10-15 years, i f you want to own the car for years to come.

If you have any further questions, you could reach me on here:

Fig1: Camry HV pack

Fig2: Assessing modules

Fig3: Load testing a HV pack

Fig4: Highlander pack

www.dxta.net.ng

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ford Motor Considers Opening Plant In Nigeria / Would You Accept Or Reject "666" Plate Number? / Ford’s Self-driving Vans Are Now Delivering Food In Miami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.