Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,853 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Urine And Apollo - A Scientific Explanation - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Urine And Apollo - A Scientific Explanation (6491 Views)

Should I Be Worried My Urine Isn't Salty? / See Three (3) Methods On How To Locally Cure Apollo (conjunctivitis) In Nigeria. / Here Are 5 Tips To Treat Conjunctivitis (apollo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Urine And Apollo - A Scientific Explanation by ayopo10(m): 7:28pm On Dec 14, 2016
I am actually furious right now. I was in high spirits, expecting this one to be an easy BUST even as I sipped a glass orange juice and listened to Justin Bieber's as long as you love me. Then I Googled "urine used for treating conjuctivitis" and was instantly overcome with grief as to the volume of information out there supporting this harmful and utterly preposterous claim!
I am furious because unlike the cold-water-causes-pneumonia myth (see link here: http://doctorshub.com.ng/2016/12/02/popping-that-pimple-on-your-face-can-kill-you/ ) which only scares people from enjoying that chilled glass of water on a hot afternoon, this one is a terrible misinformation that compels people to take an action that is totally injurious to their eyes and health in general.
Why in the sweet name of God would anyone in his or her right mind advise people to use their urine for treating conjunctivitis (pink eye) popularly known as apollo? Exactly under what basis and premise does this myth derive credence?
Personally, I do believe that even though the cold water myth maybe forgivable, this one should be seen as a crime and made punishable by law. Just my two cents though.
That said, let me quickly explain the fallacy behind this myth.
There is a concept called Urinotherapy or urotherapy, often used by the authors of this myth to sway people. In essence, by calling it urinotherapy, they ascribe therapeutic i.e healing properties to urine. And honestly and for the love of God, I do understand hydrotherapy, acupuncture and other forms of alternative medicine, but not this. It beats my scientific mind. How exactly does a waste product assume therapeutic features? Your guess is as good as mine.
Urine is a waste product chiefly made up of water (95%) and urea, a by-product of the breakdown of ammonia. Traces of urobilinogen are often present as well as crystals and some sodium. As we know presently, there is no antibiotic substrate or antiviral component present in urine.
If that is really the case, which it is, how exactly is urine therapeutic?
Myth!
Please continue......
Let's briefly throw some light on the subject of apollo/pink eye.
What is conjunctivitis or apollo? It is the inflammation of the conjuctiva (the thin,clear membrane covering the front of the eye and lining the inside of the eye) often caused by bacteria and viruses and is usually highly contagious. Common symptoms include redness of the eye, pain, tearing, swelling and poor vision. When it is caused by bacteria, an antibiotic eye drop is the standard treatment (chloramphenicol) of choice. Occasionally, one can also irrigate the eyes with mild saline solution. When it is caused by a virus, it usually resolves on its own after about 5-7 days. Painkillers can also be given to help with the pain. And that's all.
So again, does urine cure Conjuctivitis?
NO!
Why should I not use urine for my Pink eye?
Because,
Urine has no therapeutic or healing properties. It is simply a waste product made up mainly of water and urea.
Urine can actually cause apollo itself through the introduction of bacterial infections (chlamydia, gonorrhoe, etc) to the eye or through irritation of the eye (irritant conjunctivitis).
Urine is not sterile i.e it contains colonies of bacteria which can cause problems for the eyes even in normal people. The previous belief that urine was sterile has been debunked. Google urinary microbiome and learn.
Urine can cause blindness as a result of keratinitis (inflammation of the cornea). This is often caused by the introduction of gonorrhoeal infection (gonoccocal conjuctivitis) into the eye of people with STDs.
It can burn the eye. Usually the normal pH in healthy people is around 6.0- 6.5 in the morning and between 7.5 -8.0 by sunset. However, very often it can be very acidic or alkaline and can burn the eyes in either case.
Just in case those 5 points are too abstract and technical for you, let me give something that is easy to digest. Have you ever noticed that babies tend to cry a lot and become very irritable when placed on one diaper for too long? Unless that diaper is changed, they keep on crying until they lose their voice and catch a fever! At times it can be so bad that they develop rashes (diaper rashes) on their buttocks and inner thighs.

Want to know what causes it? Urea. Yes, the one found in urine. It is a chemical irritant.
Now the question is, if urine can do this and scar the buttocks like this, what becomes the fate of your eyes? Think about that for awhile.
Until another time,
Ja mata ne.

http://doctorshub.com.ng/2016/12/04/myth-urine-cures-conjuctivitis-apollo/

Re: Urine And Apollo - A Scientific Explanation by ayopo10(m): 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2016
Lalasticlala Biko
Re: Urine And Apollo - A Scientific Explanation by fortsierafino(m): 7:13am On Oct 09, 2023
Very helpful

(1) (Reply)

Tagwaye Foundation Continues Its Drug Abuse Campaign, Holds Seminar In Abuja. / How Much Is CS Delivery Cost / Psychiatric Hosp. Workers In Edo On Strike Over Appointment Of Dr Olotu As MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.