Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,032 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? (14280 Views)

Obas Council Gives Olugbo Four Days To Withdraw Statement Over Superiority / Ooni Ogunwusi And Olugbo Akinruntan In Supremacy Battle / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils "Moremi Ajasoro", The Tallest Statue In Nigeria (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by omonnakoda: 5:50pm On Dec 15, 2016
fatiaforreal:

Dont deceive yourself. Yoruba people ask questions, thats why we are where we are today and you remain locked in the past.
Beyond Oduduwa/Ekalerdahan fabrication, have you ever asked question about your origin? Osanobua came down from heaven and had three children, one of which is Olokun, and the last born founded Igodomogodo(later Benin), descendant of whom became the Ogisos. You believe in this bullshit and think you have something you are preserving?
Yorubas ask questions, so what we are experiencing is normal. The positions will be harmonised with time. Oduduwa is a convenient rallying point in yoruba history. the history dates well beyond Oduduwa
You are seeking to replace one fantasy with another........

Do you have evidence
Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by JimmySnow: 6:40pm On Dec 15, 2016
Story for the gods......... truth is bitter!
omonnakoda:
I do not think Obat petroleum is relevant let us learn to debate respectfully . People are entitled to different perspectives even if they are "wrong" No one is questioning the mental health of the Oba of Benin. The Quran claims Ibrahim tried to slaughter his son Ismail . The Bible claims Abraham tried to slaughter Isaac. Abuse does not resolve conflict.

If indeed we are looking for peace in Yoruba land we must learn to find a win-win approach to resolving conflicts .Especially conflicts such as these which are impossible to clarify factually. Opposite stories can be "true" in a way that allows peace to reign. Yes Yoruba claim Omo Oduduwa for expediency and so on.Those who are honest with themselves know this is as much a fiction as the Garden of Eden or Noah's Ark story/So what? Yoruba have beeen around for thousands of years whilst Oduduwa is a 1000 year story.

Shouting down Olugbo changes nothing .He believes his claim and I am sure his people do.

1 Like

Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by omonnakoda: 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2016
JimmySnow:
Story for the gods......... truth is bitter!
Bitter to whom ? Did you learn that phrase today? What is the relevance of the bitterness of truth to what we are talking about here.

I have no idea what is true in all of this but I am certain of one thing .No one does
Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by fatiaforreal: 12:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
omonnakoda:

You are seeking to replace one fantasy with another........

Do you have evidence
Then tell me the origin of Bini people outside what I've posted. Youre having the same problem, the Yorubas are trying to solve it, though in a bad way, you're laughing at us in a state of ignorance of your own problem.

Yorubas had two popular versions of history: MIGRATION FROM THE EAST, AND ODUDUWA DESCENDING FROM HEAVEN. Now tell us Bini history without allusion to any of the two. Simple.
Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by fatiaforreal: 1:15pm On Dec 16, 2016
Let us leave sentiments out of this. I like this Ooni and what he is doing in trying to unite the yorubas.
At the same time we must recognize the truth about our history. There was definitely a dispersal and possibly multiple dispersals. One was the Niger-Congo, another was the Ife dispersal. Which Ife are we talking about here? The earliest people in present day Ife migrated from somewhere. Where? Knowledgeable Yorubas who have deep knowledge of history refer to it as Ife Oodaiye. It was destroyed by flood which led to migration to the present site, centuries or millenia before the advent of Oduduwa. Nupe historians also wrote about a kingdom that existed on the bank of river Niger ( which yorubas fondly refer to as odo Oya) called Nyuife. According to them many kingdoms emerged from Nyuife, which was corrupted to Nupe.
If you look at the two accounts, they correlate, Nyuife simply means Ile Ife. The problem is people twist facts to hide one or two things to gain historical ascendancy. It's a shame we cannot agree at this point because we still have a long way to go tracing our history: Yorubas, Binis, Igalas, Igbos, Nupe etc have a common origin. We were once one and same people before dispersal. Do a research into the languages and you'll be shocked! Mind you, tribes bore different names at different times in their history. Who can tell me the earliest time the word Yoruba came into being? You can get a pointer to that if you read history of Yoruba by Sultan Mohammed in the 18th century(it's the first written document on yoruba history, written i Arabic). Some Bini historians also gave their interpretation of the word.
To put matter in the proper perspective, Olugbo represents the older DYNASTY of Ife while Ooni represents the reigning DYNASTY of Ife, simple. One cannot wish the other away.

1 Like

Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by omonnakoda: 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2016
fatiaforreal:

Then tell me the origin of Bini people outside what I've posted. Youre having the same problem, the Yorubas are trying to solve it, though in a bad way, you're laughing at us in a state of ignorance of your own problem.

Yorubas had two popular versions of history: MIGRATION FROM THE EAST, AND ODUDUWA DESCENDING FROM HEAVEN. Now tell us Bini history without allusion to any of the two. Simple.
I am honest I do not know. No one knows. Two foolisnesses do not amount to one wisdom
Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by fatiaforreal: 9:27pm On Dec 17, 2016
Great! We can achieve a lot with honesty.
My honest observation is that people are repeating the same story with different characters.
Re: Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? by omonnakoda: 9:40pm On Dec 17, 2016
fatiaforreal:
Let us leave sentiments out of this. I like this Ooni and what he is doing in trying to unite the yorubas.
At the same time we must recognize the truth about our history. There was definitely a dispersal and possibly multiple dispersals. One was the Niger-Congo, another was the Ife dispersal. Which Ife are we talking about here? The earliest people in present day Ife migrated from somewhere. Where? Knowledgeable Yorubas who have deep knowledge of history refer to it as Ife Oodaiye. It was destroyed by flood which led to migration to the present site, centuries or millenia before the advent of Oduduwa. Nupe historians also wrote about a kingdom that existed on the bank of river Niger ( which yorubas fondly refer to as odo Oya) called Nyuife.

I have no problem with stories. I have a problem with the word TRUTH.

The Truth is that you have no way of knowing any of this to be true any more than the story of Adam,Eve and the fruit or Noah ,the Ark and the pairs of animals.

These things are just simply unknowable but they are useful.Anytime anyone tells you about Adam and Eve tell him about Ife and so on.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Update From The Burial Of Emir Of Lafia, Isa Mustafa [PHOTOS] / Igala Affinity: ‘IFA’ Is The Connecting Link Of Original Nigerians – Attah / Àwon Òwe Ile Yorùbá (proverbs Of The Yoruba People)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.