Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,372 members, 7,822,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

'let My Enemies Die By Fire' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' (10641 Views)

Rev King To Die By Hanging: Supreme-Court Orders / In The Presence Of My Enemies / Nigerian Pastors Let my people be free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by lafile(m): 11:49am On Jan 10, 2007
There is something i have noticed in Christianity these days. Everywhere, in churches, at home, you find christians praying against their enemies. Asking God to kill their enemies (or for their enemies to die by fire, as the saying goes). They will always find a bible scripture (usually a psalm) to back up this prayer point. So whats your take on this? is it scriptural?
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Reverend(m): 12:08pm On Jan 10, 2007
@Lafile

If a religion can be guilty of such things then Christianity at least according to the scriptures can not be placed at the top of the list.

Islam on the other hand is the religion of death and destruction. Where Christianity is tolerant and basically founded upon 'live and let live' morals, Islam is an evil, manipulative and violent religion where the goal is to destroy non believers.

I for one think that all religions are guilty in someway and degree of crimes against humanity. That is why I do not subscribe to any one of them.

Better to be a humanist  cheesy cheesy cheesy

You may have seen on this forum the heated debates on whether 'Jesus is God?' and 'Is Christianity Wrong?' etc etc etc

People quoting blindly from the Bible and the Koran absolute nonsense. Taking hours to draft replies from Bible passages and arguing about absolute rubbish. If only these people would forget this idiotic, meaningless dribble and concentrate instead on their fellow human beings the World would surely be a better place  undecided

They waste their short time on Earth quoting the badly written, often misquoted and misinterpreted dribble that both  the Bible and Koran contain. Books written by man to control man. They are so immersed in the nonsense that they do not even realize what is going on around them sad

Humanism is the way forward.

The Egyptian God's lastest must longer than Christianity has been around. I believe that on the same basis the current religious fad's will also pass into history and be forgotten. The only question is what will replace them

I just hope that it is not another religion sad  Hope fully by then people will be able to reason for themselves and choose a unifying principle that will not divide us and make us work and live together as one lipsrsealed
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TV01(m): 12:26pm On Jan 10, 2007
Morning All,

lafile:

There is something i have noticed in Christianity these days. Everywhere, in churches, at home, you find christians praying against their enemies. Asking God to kill their enemies (or for their enemies to die by fire, as the saying goes). They will always find a bible scripture (usually a psalm) to back up this prayer point. So whats your take on this? is it scriptural?

Imprecatory prayers? Not for New Testament Christians.

Matthew 5:44 - But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

It's also worth noting that the real enemy is not other human beings. In as much as others are conspiring to do evil against Christians, the proper response is to pray for such people, as they have been blinded and taken captive by the evil one to do his will. By directing your efforts against such people you are unwittingly (I hope) doing exactly what the enemy wants you to do, and exactly what God does not want you to do (which makes sense right?).

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Heb 10:30 - For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people."

I would enjoin anyone professing Christian who engages in such a practise to repent. And if you belong to a church/organisation that centres it's preaching on your personal situation and circumstances (as against God's overarching purpose) please reconsider in light of scripture.

God bless
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by mrpataki(m): 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2007
@ lafile,
Its very wrong and not scripturally correct. My personal experience over the years in following Christ has taught me so, which i may not even be able to fully say out here in a forum like this.
Whatever be the case, i will rather use this Psalms to further buttres my point which is:

Psalms 23:5 -Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

In other words it is in the presence of your enemies that God has decided to celebrate one. It is a lie of the devil to believe that ones enemies must die before one can make progress in life, which is not true!
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by shahan(f): 12:51pm On Jan 10, 2007
Some don't even know who their enemies are; as long as they're not "making progress", somebodi must die in their prayers. undecided
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Reverend(m): 1:41pm On Jan 10, 2007
@Lalfile

Don't let them brainwash you with their nonsense. Think for yourself and ask questions if you think you need an answer.

Mr. Pataki has charged you with not  being 'scripturally correct' when in reality the scriptures are no more than badly written myths and fables that should not be taken seriously in the slightest.

They are robots for a dying cause. They can not think for themselves. They constantly quote their biblical nonsense to try and prove their points. In reality it just proves that they are unable to think for themselves and their case is very weak.

Stay free in both your mind and body and let common sense prevail over supersticious nonsense.

Peace
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by lafile(m): 2:09pm On Jan 10, 2007
i argued this issue with someone a while ago and the person quoted a lot of 'contend with those who contend with me' psalms and exodus 22:18 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'. i asked him what would have happened if the early christians had prayed for God to kill paul during his persecution and God obliged?

there are quite a few churches who teach such doctrine in Nigeria (wont mention). i actually know of a friends brother (a muslim) who says he will never become a christian becos the church behind his house is always praying for their enemies to die
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by lafile(m): 2:11pm On Jan 10, 2007
@ Reverend Kinky
Please, are u actually preaching to me?
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Reverend(m): 5:14pm On Jan 10, 2007
@Pedolafile

No, you must be mistaken. I do not preach to twats tongue tongue tongue
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TayoD(m): 5:19pm On Jan 10, 2007
@TV01,

Imprecatory prayers? Not for New Testament Christians.

Matthew 5:44 - But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

It's also worth noting that the real enemy is not other human beings. In as much as others are conspiring to do evil against Christians, the proper response is to pray for such people, as they have been blinded and taken captive by the evil one to do his will. By directing your efforts against such people you are unwittingly (I hope) doing exactly what the enemy wants you to do, and exactly what God does not want you to do (which makes sense right?).
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
Heb 10:30 - For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people."
I would enjoin anyone professing Christian who engages in such a practise to repent. And if you belong to a church/organisation that centres it's preaching on your personal situation and circumstances (as against God's overarching purpose) please reconsider in light of scripture.

O goodness me. I have started the year in agreement with you on nairaland. What a year this one is turning out to be!
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2007
yeah but there are sometimes when fire and brimstone prayers are called for.
we can't deny that and it ain't unscriptural.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TayoD(m): 5:43pm On Jan 10, 2007
@babyosisi,

yeah but there are sometimes when fire and brimstone prayers are called for.  we can't deny that and it ain't unscriptural.
While this is right, men must not be the target. "We wrestle NOT against flesh and blood" remember?
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Reverend(m): 5:44pm On Jan 10, 2007
@Babyosisi

If you take the ten commandments as being sancrasent, would it not be going against Christian principles to pray for the death and destruction of somebody?
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 10, 2007
Friends,I have never prayed for the death of anyone and by His grace I'll not.
I have however prayed for a confusion in the enemies camp,a scattering,for him to end up in the hole dug for me by him.

I however know instances where people have threatened the lives of others and specific prayers were made for destruction of the agents of satanand I know at least 3 instances where the individuals died suddenly who planned serious harm or death on others.

They are not unscriptural.
If a man makes himself a sure agent of Satan and attacks a saint and he gets cast out in the process of casting out the demons,he asked for it.

God will protect his own and these these things happen for a reason that God be glorified.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TayoD(m): 6:37pm On Jan 10, 2007
@babyosisi,

The point is that the prayers must never be directed at a human being. If the human agent suffers terrible consequences from the spiritual battle, then so be it. Remember that God does not desire the death of any man!

Remember the case of persecution of the church in the book of Acts, they only prayed to God for the safety of their brethren and not the death or downfall of the persecutor. In God's time Herod's cup was full and he died after uttering blasphemy. If at all we should pray for a persecutor, it should be that God will help change their hearts. A prayer to kill him that God sent His Son to die for is diametrically opposed to His salvation plan for that person.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jan 10, 2007
You are so right on.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by feelgood(m): 7:42pm On Jan 10, 2007
The topic of the thread is clear. If everyone prayed for the death of their enemies, then we all will perish.
Luke 9:51-56 is very illuminating. Jesus remains our perfect example. See also 2Peter3:9
Such prayers are unbecoming of a xtian. Love ur nebor as
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by lafile(m): 10:22am On Jan 11, 2007
people who pray against their (human) enemies are actually disguising their desire for vengeance with righteous robes. a friend of mine and his fiance went to see this pastor and told him people in the girls family were violently against their wedding. guess what pastor said. anybody against this wedding will die. not knowing the person against the wedding was the girls father. even some christians who pray for their enemies do so with the intention of putting "burning coal on their heads".
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by kimba(m): 5:50am On Jan 12, 2007
i think those "let my enemies die by fire" are the Mountain of Fire Peoples.

There is one church near my house and its becoming a pain in my ass. Why? because these peeps pray from 1am to 12noon every day. Ive been making my observations for the past 2-months now.

My question is: does it mean all the members of the church are jobless, since they have to pray 7days a week from 1am till 12noon?

Besides some of these prayer requests are weird. Fire everywhere.
- they bind by fire
- they loose by fire
- they chase their enemies with fire
- they destroy with fire

maybe thats why a whole lot of houses just catch fire especially in lagos state.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 12, 2007
lol.
fire on the mountain.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by mrpataki(m): 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2007
kimba:

i think those "let my enemies die by fire" are the Mountain of Fire Peoples.

There is one church near my house and its becoming a pain in my ass. Why? because these peeps pray from 1am to 12noon every day. Ive been making my observations for the past 2-months now.

My question is: does it mean all the members of the church are jobless, since they have to pray 7days a week from 1am till 12noon?

Besides some of these prayer requests are weird. Fire everywhere.
- they bind by fire
- they loose by fire
- they chase their enemies with fire
- they destroy with fire

maybe thats why a whole lot of houses just catch fire especially in lagos state.

These are some of the errors that we find in churches of today. No where do you find Jesus subscribing to such attitude of lifestyle that you have stated here. When such begins to happen, i tell you they are not far from how Rev King started off as well.

I personally cannot conform myself to such a lifestyle in respect to the question you have posed up.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by shahan(f): 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2007
It's just that so many people are polarised to just one thing - whatever it is they discover in the word.

For some, it's the fire:
2Kings 1:12 - "If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty."
So, everything is according to fire!

For yet some, the anointing:
Isa. 10:27 - ". . .and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing"
Again, everything is according to some oil in the bottle.

Even oyibo dey practise their own:
"If you send us a cheque of $(undisclosed) or your January salary, we will send you this powerful miracle healing water. . . or the prayer cloth for an additional suggested donation!"

May God help many to see what needs to be done to their situation, rather than over-emphasizing a particular doctrine. undecided
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TayoD(m): 12:19am On Jan 13, 2007
The funny thing is that fire in the Bible always signify judgement. I am sure these folks know nothing about it else they will be very careful how they use that term. My first real contact with these Christians was on a trip to Ibadan during my final year at U.I. The guy just finished preaching and started giving out prayer points. One that he gave that I will never forget goes like this:
O God of fire,
                           Send down your fire
                           Turn me to fire
                           In this mountain of fire.

If he was a knowledgeable person who substitutes that fire with judgement, then he would have realised that this is what he is saying:
O God of judgment
                           Send down your judgment
                           Turn me to judgment
                           In this mountain of judgment.
lipsrsealed

I rest my case.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by kimba(m): 5:10am On Jan 13, 2007
if only God had answered his prayer!!!!
shocked shocked shocked
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by Reverend(m): 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2007
And strike my hairy ass with a bolt of lightning whilst you are at it undecided

You should all realise that this comes from old pagan worship and has nothing to do with the modern God.

It is all to do with the Sun.

O God of fire, (the Sun)
Send down your fire (Rays)
Turn me to fire (Warm me up)
In this mountain of fire. (Where I live)
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by bobby1(m): 8:02pm On Jan 13, 2007
All of you are talking without inspiration from God's spirit. DOES FIRE ONLY MEAN JUDGEMENT PLS GIVE ME A BREAK WHAT DID JOHN SAID HE SAID HE SHALL BAPTISE YOU WITH THE HOLYSPIRIT AND WITH FIRE. SO, DOES THE FIRE THERE MEAN JUDGEMENT, I DON'T THINK SO. BELOVETH IN THE REAL SENSE NOTING DIES IT'S STATE IS ONLY ALTER OR CHANGED INTO SOMETHING ELSE. BELOVETH ONLY TIME WILL TELL WHO IS SAYING THE TRUTH OR NOT. BUT PLS ALL THE SO CALLED "SPIRIT FILLED" BELIEVERS DO ME A FAVOUR WHY NOT SPEND A FEW DAYS BEFORE GOD ON THIS BECAUSE YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT WHAT YOU WILL HEAR. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT GOD WILL VINDICATE THE MINISTRY IN THE NEAREST FUTURE. THAT ALL I CAN SAY FOR NOW. ANY QUESTIONS CAN BE POSTED ON THE FORUM.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by shahan(f): 8:19pm On Jan 13, 2007
bobby1:

SO, DOES THE FIRE THERE MEAN JUDGEMENT, I DON'T THINK SO. BELOVETH IN THE REAL SENSE NOTING DIES IT'S STATE IS ONLY ALTER OR CHANGED INTO SOMETHING ELSE.

So, when these people pray "Let my enemies die by fire," in the real sense nothing dies? Is that why the prayers take forever to receive answers?

Now this is interesting. I would like to know what "state" it is altered or changed to. I just hope that people don't become altered into something else! cheesy
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by TayoD(m): 8:29pm On Jan 13, 2007
@bobby1,

All of you are talking without inspiration from God's spirit. DOES FIRE ONLY MEAN JUDGEMENT PLS GIVE ME A BREAK WHAT DID JOHN SAID HE SAID HE SHALL BAPTISE YOU WITH THE HOLYSPIRIT AND WITH FIRE. SO, DOES THE FIRE THERE MEAN JUDGEMENT, I DON'T THINK SO.

Before you tell us what you think, please let us go to that passage to understand what John was talking about with regards to the baptism by fire. Matthew 3:11  I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

The passage explains itself. Jesus coming was to separate the wheat from the chaff. The wheat will be baptised with the Holy Ghost and the chaff will burnt with unquenchable fire. So which one are you? Wheat or chaff. If you are chaff, expect fire unquenchable. As I said, even in this passage, we see that fire represents judgement very clearly.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by angelz(f): 8:30pm On Jan 13, 2007
We shud pray 4 our enemies 2 change frm dia wickd ways. Dnt realy kno wat 'they' look like, cus av got none.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by amdaysol(m): 5:45am On Jan 16, 2007
I sincerely believe that such prayers targeted at human beings is completely turning the Bible upside down.
But I also know by reason of attendance that such prayers are actually spiritually targetted.

Any man who wishes death on his fellow human is erronous in His thinking and Prayers.

To all Christians in the House, let us refrain from bad mpouthing ministries tht we dont understand cos whu knows u mite be bad mouthin somtm from God
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by lafile(m): 8:47am On Jan 16, 2007
i still wonder why any christian would want anything bad to happen to their percieved enemies. if you are really christlike, you will do as christ did. at the point of death, pray for your enemies. ask stephen; he was a real christian (christlike). he did not pray against saul (paul) and co while at the point of death.
Re: 'let My Enemies Die By Fire' by amdaysol(m): 8:49am On Jan 18, 2007
@ lafile

I think that was Stephen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / OPEN AND SEE HOW POPULAR NAIRALAND ATHIESTS ACCEPT JESUS / "Re-Electing Buhari Will Perpetuate Suffering" - Bishop Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.