Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

The New Age Nigerian Wife - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The New Age Nigerian Wife (2965 Views)

When Will Africa Embrace The Dawn Of A New Age? / Nigerian Man Married To Non-nigerian Wife - Reloaded / I’m Your Partner Not Your Kitchen Slave… The Rebuttal To “new Age Nigerian Wife” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Age Nigerian Wife by Uzodinma1: 10:33am On Nov 16, 2009
I will probably Hurt a lot of feelings by writing this Note, So please if you are sensitive, THEN "STOP HERE", cause I dont care about feelings, JUST FACTS

I have had a few interesting conversations with a lot of Nigerian females ages
21 to 27 and I have sensed something very interesting

You all believe that coming to America gives you the Right to "STOP COOKING", YEAH, I SAID IT,

Look, its very simple your mums cooked all the food when you grew up, your mums still do the cooking, I think every female needs to know how to cook, or at lease be willing to learn How to Cook, or else its a big shame,
Any female who believes that it is not their duty to cook is not ready for marriage, Its very simple, NO Nigerian man will marry a woman that feels it is a Man's responsibility to cook,
The females with this "NEW AGE" point of view blame it on the fact that women nowadays have to work, WOW, REALLY, DID YOUR MUMS NOT WORK BACK IN THE DAY

I am speaking for every responsible man and not the lazy ones who wants their wives to do everything, I think for a marriage to last there has to be compromises, there are thing a man must do in his house Hold because we do not have maids in America, BUT COOKING IS NOT ONE OF THEM,

Lets think about this, any man that senses this new found Nigeria female belief in his girl will probably not marry her.
When guests come to your house, imagine the MAN, cooking and bringing out food from the kitchen to serve the guests, WOW, NOW that would be funny,
Your friends and your friends wives will laugh at you.

I personally will laugh at any friend of mine that I find does the cooking for his wife,

Like the saying goes, IF IT AINT BROKE, WHY FIX IT, THE SYSTEM WORKS, MEN should not tolerate their wives expecting them to do the cooking,

HOW MANY COOK BOOKS ARE BASED AROUND MEN IN THE KITCHEN.

Plus what kind of message are you sending your kids, when they know your wife wears the pants in the house,
Thats how it starts, cooking,  Next thing you know you as a man become the Woman.

I AM A GUY AND I KNOW HOW TO COOK, that does not mean that i will be found in the kitchen cooking for my wife,  I am not trying to sound like a Sexist,
I can cook for her if she is sick, just gave birth or on special occasions, but to believe it will be an every day thing, PLEASE, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Article By Ngozi Oleleh

I grabbed this post of this site http://www.tory411.com/

I mean i understand the message but maybe it could have been conveyed in a more polite manner. Just my opinion,
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by throttler(f): 10:45am On Nov 16, 2009
a man that knows how to cook is a priviledge for the woman traditionaly speaking, but that doesnt mean the woman should take that for granted.

i think women take more time and pay attention to details when cooking than men, not the proffessional chefs o. all in all, it is reall silly cos the americans they are trying to copy, the sane ones still recognize their basic duties., maybe all they see are the cheer leaders( not to say there arent sane cheerleaders.) its not demeaning to cook for my kids or huby.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by africhika(f): 3:57pm On Nov 16, 2009
LOL at this post! grin

well, i'm 23. i cook a lot but very little 9ja food. i do love to cook and want to learn more 9ja food.

so u will only cook if she's sick/recovering from childbirth/special occasion? that's silly, honestly.
what is she's tired one day? she's not a machine.

even my dad cooks sometimes. it's called "being a considerate human being."
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by agathamari(f): 2:54pm On Nov 17, 2009
emeril anyone?
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by iice(f): 7:04pm On Nov 17, 2009
The men in my family like to cook. . .they like to be given free reins in the kitchen. So during the weekends they cook. Women aren't allowed in the kitchen then. . .

Yes, we seem to be weird compared to other people cool
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 17, 2009
Uzodinma1:

I will probably Hurt a lot of feelings by writing this Note, So please if you are sensitive, THEN "STOP HERE", cause I dont care about feelings, JUST FACTS

I have had a few interesting conversations with a lot of Nigerian females ages
21 to 27 and I have sensed something very interesting

You all believe that coming to America gives you the Right to "STOP COOKING", YEAH, I SAID IT,

Look, its very simple your mums cooked all the food when you grew up, your mums still do the cooking, I think every female needs to know how to cook, or at lease be willing to learn How to Cook, or else its a big shame,
Any female who believes that it is not their duty to cook is not ready for marriage, Its very simple, NO Nigerian man will marry a woman that feels it is a Man's responsibility to cook,
The females with this "NEW AGE" point of view blame it on the fact that women nowadays have to work, WOW, REALLY, DID YOUR MUMS NOT WORK BACK IN THE DAY

I am speaking for every responsible man and not the lazy ones who wants their wives to do everything, I think for a marriage to last there has to be compromises, there are thing a man must do in his house Hold because we do not have maids in America, BUT COOKING IS NOT ONE OF THEM,

Lets think about this, any man that senses this new found Nigeria female belief in his girl will probably not marry her.
When guests come to your house, imagine the MAN, cooking and bringing out food from the kitchen to serve the guests, WOW, NOW that would be funny,
Your friends and your friends wives will laugh at you.

I personally will laugh at any friend of mine that I find does the cooking for his wife,

Like the saying goes, IF IT AINT BROKE, WHY FIX IT, THE SYSTEM WORKS, MEN should not tolerate their wives expecting them to do the cooking,

HOW MANY COOK BOOKS ARE BASED AROUND MEN IN THE KITCHEN.

Plus what kind of message are you sending your kids, when they know your wife wears the pants in the house,
Thats how it starts, cooking, Next thing you know you as a man become the Woman.

I AM A GUY AND I KNOW HOW TO COOK, that does not mean that i will be found in the kitchen cooking for my wife, I am not trying to sound like a Sexist,
I can cook for her if she is sick, just gave birth or on special occasions, but to believe it will be an every day thing, PLEASE, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Article By Ngozi Oleleh

I grabbed this post of this site http://www.tory411.com/

I mean i understand the message but maybe it could have been conveyed in a more polite manner. Just my opinion,

well said.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Leilah(f): 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2009
I agree if the woman doesnt have a 9-5 job 5 days a week, if she does then the hubby should get up off his ass and do the dishes then if he doesnt want to cook.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
I will cook and he will wash the plates. Now isn't that balanced? grin
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by mamagee3(f): 1:55am On Nov 18, 2009
^^Are those your legs in your profile? shocked shocked
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by africhika(f): 2:32am On Nov 18, 2009
quote by iice:

« #4 on: Today at 12:04:10 PM »

The men in my family like to cook. . .they like to be given free reins in the kitchen. So during the weekends they cook. Women aren't allowed in the kitchen then. . .

Yes, we seem to be weird compared to other people

i like ur family!
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by yeswecan(m): 10:02am On Nov 18, 2009
A woman has to know how to cook
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by echobee(f): 9:53am On Nov 19, 2009
a woman must know how to cook, wash, take care of the house, and other chores. if she does not, she is in soup. because even the whites are learning how to cook now, not to talk about an African lady, in fact a Nigerian
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by agathamari(f): 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2009
echo- bee:

a woman must know how to cook, wash, take care of the house, and other chores. if she does not, she is in soup. because even the whites are learning how to cook now, not to talk about an African lady, in fact a Nigerian
whites are LEARNING how to cook? so thier food fell from the sky before? untill recently they were just a chovanistic as the men here. white MEN are learning to cook. women worldover have ALWAYS cooked regardless of race.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by echobee(f): 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2009
na lie
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by africhika(f): 11:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
« #11 on: Today at 02:53:43 AM » 

a woman must  know how to cook, wash, take care of the house, and other chores. if she does not, she is in soup. because even the whites are learning how to cook now, not to talk about an African lady, in fact a Nigerian

omg. you've GOT to know what ur talking about b4 u post?

white women just now learning how to cook?  undecided
they cook! women in all cultures cook

a man must know how to cook, wash, take care of house, other chores, love, dote on wife, be a father. if he doesn't he is in soup.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by mamagee3(f): 1:38am On Nov 20, 2009
Nigerian men are the laziest men in the world, they can't cook and they have that backwards reasoning that cooking is meant for only women, God help them. tongue
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by agathamari(f): 7:55am On Nov 20, 2009
mama-gee:

Nigerian men are the laziest men in the world, they can't cook and they have that backwards reasoning that cooking is meant for only women, God help them. tongue
this one town in mexico i visited, when the men get together to cook for the women of the village (like once a month) they seperate the raw ingredients into bowls then each bowl gets a rock that has been heated in the fire added to it. the rock "cooks" the soup and the rock is still in the soup when served. at least they try but would using a pot kill them?
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 20, 2009
This topic has been dealt with time and time again. in family, in romance and food board.

Wont kill you ppl to use search engine undecided
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Sissy3(f): 8:07am On Nov 20, 2009
mama-gee:

not all. i have a family m. who cooks (btw he really cooks super well/good) for his family. he cleans and takes care of his 3kids. and the surprise thing? he doesnt complain! he enjoys it. he comes from a family where right from the start the mom made it clear, [i]"if you are hungry, find your way to the kitchen" [/i]so he learned from an early age how to cook and clean. he has done it for all the time he was a bachelor till now married.

the problem is that many men can cook and should cook but with the our african mentality of women being the messiah of everything kitchen and home, many of 'em men cant let their egos down and cook for themselves and their family.

if am tired n cant cook and he cant. guess what? we both going to bed hungry. no doubt
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by ogajim(m): 8:39pm On Dec 04, 2009
mama-gee:

You are obviously lazy your self to make such a generalized statement that has no truth in it whatsoever, only IDIOTS generalize undecided

Whoever gets home first should start the cooking if the kids are to be fed on time, homework done and go to bed on time.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by mamagee3(f): 9:26pm On Dec 05, 2009
This thread is hilarious. grin grin grin
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by chillbabe(f): 1:58am On Dec 10, 2009
@ op am ashamed off u if ure a bm. Y would u post something like this mehn next time think be4 u post. U make our good black guys look stupid shame on u.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Outstrip(f): 3:51am On Dec 11, 2009
Nonsense mcsheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. The OP is a lazy neatherthal
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by ruskiee(m): 3:33pm On Dec 11, 2009
Hmmmn.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 05, 2012
yeswecan: A woman has to know how to cook

Indeed! Now you're obligated to like whatever I cook tongue
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by MrsChima1(f): 12:29pm On Sep 05, 2012
africhika: LOL at this post! grin

well, i'm 23. i cook a lot but very little 9ja food. i do love to cook and want to learn more 9ja food.

so u will only cook if she's sick/recovering from childbirth/special occasion? that's silly, honestly.
what is she's tired one day? she's not a machine.

even my dad cooks sometimes. it's called "being a considerate human being."

So does my husband. Thank God there are still sensible and decent men left in this shitty world. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by solomon111(m): 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2012
Well,as an african,coming from a traditional setting,my mother did most of the cooking.
I could actually count the number of times,my father cooked in a year on one hand.
But as i was growing up,and as a result of exposure to the so-called 'enlightened' ladies,i realized that you can't really force women to do what they don't want to do.
So i have since then, learnt how to cook,as i don't want to be held to ransom by any woman.
In my future family,i definitely will not oblige to cook,but when push comes to shove,I WILL COOK.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by solomon111(m): 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

So does my husband. Thank God there are still sensible and decent men left in this shitty world. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yeah right!.
Would you mind giving us the scientific,empirical or statistical correlation between decent men and men who cook for their wives?
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by MrsChima1(f): 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2012
solomon111: Yeah right!.
Would you mind giving us the scientific,empirical or statistical correlation between decent men and men who cook for their wives?

It has been factually proven that men with decency and common sense don't come online and post stup!d arse questions and waste their time on trivial shit such as "who should cook or not".

Next question.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by solomon111(m): 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

It has been factually proven that men with decency and common sense don't come online and post stup!d arse questions and waste their time on trivial shit such as "who should cook or not".

Next question.
well,i can tell you with all sincereity,that this issue aint trivial.
Atleast to us,africans.
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by MrsChima1(f): 7:39pm On Sep 05, 2012
solomon111: well,i can tell you with all sincereity,that this issue aint trivial.
Atleast to us,africans.

Apparently you don't represent all Africans because some Africans are questioning it as well. There are hundreds of cooking topics and thousands of Africans saying why is it a big deal that a man cook for his wife/family?

Or they aren't "pure Africans" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The New Age Nigerian Wife by solomon111(m): 9:45pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Apparently you don't represent all Africans because some Africans are questioning it as well. There are hundreds of cooking topics and thousands of Africans saying why is it a big deal that a man cook for his wife/family?

Or they aren't "pure Africans" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
I am sure if you conducted a survey,you would find out that most of those who are against the fact that cooking is primarily a female duty are mostly females and maybe some few white-washed' males.
Besides,i would like you to ask those africans;who took care of the cooking when they were younger.
You would be surprised at the homogenity of the answers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Indecent Dressing Among Women / Nago Hunters Of Bante Kingdom / Spiritual Healer And Spell Caster Mama Hawa +27736842646

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.