Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,270 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks (21089 Views)

FG To Shut Third Mainland Bridge For Six Months / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) / The Beauty Of Abuja Airport Runway At Night As It Nears Completion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by dre11(m): 9:37pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hadi Sirika, minister of state for aviation, says the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja, will be closed for six weeks between February and March 2017.

Addressing reporters on Monday, Sirika said the closure was to allow Julius Berger carry out total re-construction on the badly damaged airport runway.

He said while the runway would still be put to use under the six months of rehabilitation, the six weeks would allow the mid-section of the runway to be reconstructed.

Sirika said President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reconstruction through the emergency procurement procedure for work to commence.

This, according to him, is because of the centrality, economy and the importance of Abuja to the general administration of the country.

He said government could not afford to close down Abuja airport for a long time as palliative repairs had been ongoing at the runway in the last three months.

“From start to finish of the runway, it will take six months. However, we will be using the runway almost throughout the period except for about six weeks when the runway will be closed,” he said.

“That is when we are going to do the mid-section of the runway.

“The government has accepted the design done by the contractor. The runway will last for than 10 years on completion early next year.”

Sirika said Abuja bound passengers from any part of the world will use Kaduna airport as alternative during the six weeks closure to passengers.

He said arrangement had been finalised with Kaduna, adding that while the federal government will provide buses to convey the passengers to Abuja, the state government will provide security.

According to him, it will cost government substantial amount of money “but we think that palliative approach is wrong because three years down we will come back to do the same repairs.

“Therefore, we decided to go for the bigger option which is to do structural repairs if the runway which will take about six months to complete.”

On the bilateral air agreement with other countries, Sirika said government had signed BASA with 18 countries that Nigerians frequently visit and do business with.

The MOUs, he said, would give Nigeria the opportunity to operate air services with 18 countries.

“With this, we have the freedom to fly and land safely in other air space and this will assist in opening our market,” he said.

https://www.thecable.ng/fg-announces-6-week-closure-abuja-airport

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by HQuadreal: 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hmmm nigeria.
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by sainty2k3(m): 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
Oga o. Na to travel to Abuja by road be that, or stay at home

2 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by dingbang(m): 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
grin

Do u know why i am laughing? Lol leme tell you..

Was it China or Japan who reconstructed a road that was damaged seriously by earthquake just under three days, but its not like as if the nnamdi azikiwe airport run way is that bad ooo, just rehabilitation and its gona take them six months to rehabilitate..

Glory be to God

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by tit(f): 9:51pm On Dec 19, 2016
What is the dist of KD to Abuja?
What are the alternative airports?
Jos?
Can Kaduna airport take all the traffic?

3 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Zendinho(m): 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2016
For the first time that our President Buhari is acting without putting the blame on the previous administration....

If he had been taking the bull by the horn like this and not telling us cock and bull stories may b we'll not find ourselves in mess.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by micfoley: 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2016
Obviously, the airport needs a second runway

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2016
Why Kaduna?

Instead it ought to be Minna which is just about 90mins by road from Abuja.

I guess the fact that Minna airport doesn't have any fuel depots within the airport necessitated the choice for Kaduna which is about two and a half hours distance from Abuja by road. This then begs the question about the Kaduna-Abuja rail link constructed by GEJ which the APC govt has since celebrated as being completed by them but is yet to resume full operation. Does this mean that by providing free bus services for Abuja bound passengers from Kaduna airport is just another scam by the APC or is the rail line far from being commissioned as the APC claimed?

Either way, I expect more airlines to use this opportunity to cut more jobs as they will not be able to relocate completely all their staff in Abuja.

Finally, I expect this temporary closure of the Abuja airport to affect only schedule commercial airlines both local and international thereby ruling out the total closure of the Abuja airport to smaller charter jets and even the presidential fleet. Also, I dont see European airlines using Kaduna Airport due to security concerns as they have long since stopped operating from Kano airport (or any where else in the north). That means we should expect British Airlines, Air France and Lufthansa seizing operations into Abuja (or rather Kaduna) out of security concerns. This should lead to more job losses.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by martyns303(m): 10:12pm On Dec 19, 2016
Nigerian have a long way to go..
How old is the Abuja airport that the runaway now needs repairs? It is common practice all over the world to close runways or shut down aiports fo services, but its usually due to weather. Lagos, Abuja, PH and Kano airport should have multiple runways, more than 2 for Lagos.

U can't shut down a major airport as Abuja airport for that long, everything must not be Berger. Bring in big shots in the game and they will have it done in one week with a longer durability than 10yrs

9 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by casttlebarbz(m): 10:13pm On Dec 19, 2016
the headline should had been 'FG freeze abuja airport '...

just like our mavro grin grin

20 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by bankyblue(m): 10:13pm On Dec 19, 2016
Lubbish.
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:13pm On Dec 19, 2016
A welcome development
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by icemann(m): 10:14pm On Dec 19, 2016
I am guessing there is more than one runway at that airport. So then i ask, are they "shutting down the airport", or shutting down runs ways( at different intervals) for rehabilitation?
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by BizAllianzNg: 10:15pm On Dec 19, 2016
dingbang:
grin

Was it China or Japan who reconstructed a road that was damaged seriously by earthquake just under three days, but its not like as if the nnamdi azikiwe airport run way is that bad ooo, just rehabilitation and its gona take them six months to rehabilitate..

Glory be to God

6weeks and not six months.

5 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by eezeribe(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
Na so
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by dingbang(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
BizAllianzNg:

6weeks and not six months.
please kindly read the passage, slowly this time around...

18 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Cmoyor: 10:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
make work start first
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:18pm On Dec 19, 2016
Fulani miscreants go get market for Kaduna road

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 19, 2016
chai
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by inspiredabbey(m): 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2016
This is good news. At least our President will stay in Nigeria for six weeks without traveling out. How I wish they can close it for one year.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Adekorya: 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2016
dingbang:
grin

Glory be to God
Mr Man, this is Nigeria and not China.

If the government are not doing their work you Will complain of negligence, now the government is doing something you still find a way criticised.

Do you think rehabilitating of Plane runaway is the same thing as road construction?

4 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by HAH: 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hope there will be adequate security between kaduna and Abuja if not those bandit and kidnappers will have a field day, and the road is also getting worse by the day with portholes

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by hotspec(m): 10:24pm On Dec 19, 2016

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:27pm On Dec 19, 2016
inspiredabbey:
This is good news. At least our President will stay in Nigeria for six weeks without traveling out. How I wish they can close it for one year.

Dont bet on it.

The closure is just to minimize the risk of an incidence at the airport by merely cutting down the traffic to minimize the odds of an accident.

The Abuja airport will still be open to the likes of Dangote and co to fly in and out in their sleek jets.

The Abuja airport will still be open to rotary wing aircrafts, the airforce and also the presidential fleet.

In short the Abuja airport just upgraded its status by this closure as a VIP airport.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by ademusiwa2r: 10:35pm On Dec 19, 2016
angry sad
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by ademusiwa2r: 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2016
[size=38pt]The minister for state should repair the ondo state airport. [/size]

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by pol23: 10:40pm On Dec 19, 2016
when 'll the multi-billion naira complex be ready?
ABV having only 1 runway...every landing and take off in the local wing above 9PM 'll take place for international.
Trying land for international around 11PM...na to dey carry you tour the city before they grant access to land.
Abeg shut down Aso Villa too, It has not been functioning well over a year.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by pointstores(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2016
good
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by Coolboi05(m): 10:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
RevDesm0ndJuju:
Why Kaduna?

Instead it ought to be Minna which is just about 90mins by road from Abuja.

I guess the fact that Minna airport doesn't have any fuel depots within the airport necessitated the choice for Kaduna which is about two and a half hours distance from Abuja by road. This then begs the question about the Kaduna-Abuja rail link constructed by GEJ which the APC govt has since celebrated as being completed by them but is yet to resume full operation. Does this mean that by providing free bus services for Abuja bound passengers from Kaduna airport is just another scam by the APC or is the rail line far from being commissioned as the APC claimed?

Either way, I expect more airlines to use this opportunity to cut more jobs as they will not be able to relocate completely all their staff in Abuja.

Finally, I expect this temporary closure of the Abuja airport to affect only schedule commercial airlines both local and international thereby ruling out the total closure of the Abuja airport to smaller charter jets and even the presidential fleet. Also, I dont see European airlines using Kaduna Airport due to security concerns as they have long since stopped operating from Kano airport (or any where else in the north). That means we should expect British Airlines, Air France and Lufthansa seizing operations into Abuja (or rather Kaduna) out of security concerns. This should lead to more job losses.
I dont know what you are saying but kaduna Abuja train is working o..
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2016
Coolboi05:
I dont know what you are saying but kaduna Abuja train is working o..

like Amaechi rail in PH?

Then if so, why is the FG planning on getting buses to transport passengers by road from Kaduna to Abuja?

He said arrangement had been finalised with Kaduna, adding that while the federal government will provide buses to convey the passengers to Abuja, the state government will provide security.
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by JaypeeAnics(m): 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
Meanwhile a sachet of pure water now sells for #15/#20 naira in my area...how much is it in ur own area
Re: FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks by klinpami(f): 10:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
tit:
What is the dist of KD to Abuja?
What are the alternative airports?
Jos?
Can Kaduna airport take all the traffic?

someone is thinking well

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Long Distance Travel: What Do You Eat Or Drink Before You Travel? / Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers / Nigerians Stranded In UAE, Neglected By Nigerian Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.