Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead (4365 Views)

BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead / Ngige,ex Gov. Of Anambra Spotted As Security Of Okorocha Imo State Gov (photo) / Terrorism: IG Puts Two Senators, Ex-gov Under Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by AloyEmeka6: 7:07pm On Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Gov Amadi Ikwechegh is dead • Kalu, T. A. Orji, Ohakim, others react
By Azoma Chikwe and Kelechi Mgboji

Monday, November 16, 2009
Former governor of old Imo State, Commodore Amadi Ikwechegh is dead. He died after a protracted illness following a stroke he suffered two years back. After the stroke, he went abroad for treatment, the condition was managed to a level he could live a normal life with it, but he never actually got over it completely.

Amadi Ikwechegh

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/16/509.html

Ikwechegh, described as a fine naval officer was among the military officers retired by former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. Chief Obasanjo retired all military officers who had held political offices and Commodore Ikwechegh was affected.

After retirement, he went into marine related business in Port Harcourt where he was until he took ill. The retired naval officer who died last Tuesday in the United States of America, hailed from Igbere in Bende, Abia State.

Reacting to his death, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu, former governor of Abia State described the death of Commodore Ikwechegh as a great loss to Nigerians and the people of Igbere in particular.

According to him, “it is a great loss to all of us Nigerians, particularly we the people of Igbere. He was like a torchbearer to many of us. He is gone, if that is how God wants Ikwechegh to go, we cannot argue with God. He was a great achiever.

“He was so inspiring to me particularly. It was Ikwechegh who appointed me chairman of Cooperative and Commerce Bank even at my age then. He was like a mentor to me, he believed in me, he encouraged me, he advised me, may his soul rest in peace.

For the Governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, the death of Commodore Amadi Ikwechegh is a reminder that life is transient and our stay in this world is temporary. His words: “The death of Ikwechegh must tell we human beings that there is nothing in life, that our stay on this earth is temporary and we must endeavour to have a good name.

“The last time I saw Ikwechegh, with his height and carriage, he was as strong and active as any human being can be. And that time, you would never think death can come anywhere near him. His death is a great tragedy. It is a calamity of inconsiderable magnitude. It is so painful that in Imo State only few days ago, we lost the life of a former deputy governor, Mrs Udeogu, who was a great woman and a nice woman, and a loving mother. It is rather tragic that few days after, we are now hearing of the death of a former governor of the state, a man who served the state with all his youthfulness and energy.

Commending the late Commodore Ikwechegh for a meritorious service to old Imo State, Ohakim likened his service to the state to that of a missionary. He said, “he served the people of this state very well. He was a great man as governor. The last time we had our regular session with former governors of Imo State, he was here in Owerri and spent three days. We discussed everything under the sun, Nigeria, Imo State and all. We discussed every politician in Imo State, he told me who is who, who I should avoid and who I should endeavour to work with. And incidentally everything he said has continued to come to pass till today.

Ohakim regarded Ikwechegh death as untimely because “the man still has a lot to offer, his death was a great tragedy.”

Governor of Abia State, Chief Theodore Orji described the death of Commodore Ikwechegh as premature and a rude shock to him. He recalled his interaction and relationship with the late naval officer whom he described as an intelligent and no-nonsense administrator.

Governor Orji said he worked under Ikwechegh in old Imo State where he (Orji) was senior assistant secretary in government house, Owerri.

The Abia State governor said he had great working relationship with Ikwchegh. According to him, “death which is a necessary end has snatched him from people of Imo and Abia and Nigerians as a whole.” He prayed God to grant his family fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

Governor Theodore Orji noted that it was not how long one lived, but how one used the position in which one found oneself to impact positively on the lives of others.

Dr Eme Ekekwe, was a personal assistant to the late Commodore Ikwechegh while he was governor of old Imo State. He said Amadi Ikwechegh was in every sense of the word a true patriot. “He was a true professional, and his first love was the Navy. He considered his being governor as an accident in history. All those who came around him as governor never went away disappointed. He came in as a young man. Not many gave him a chance of succeeding, but as it is, many agreed that his tenure was very successful and he achieved a lot.”

Dr Ekekwe recalled that in 1993, that somebody met him somewhere and told him that Ikwechegh did a missionary job in Imo State. That summarises his life as a public servant, he was like a missionary.

Deputy Managing Director and Deputy Editor-in-Chief of The Sun Publishing Limited, Mr. Dimgba Igwe described the late Commodore Ikwechegh as a fine naval officer and gentleman, as well as a patriot. “Nigerians and the people of old Imo State and Abia State have lost somebody.”
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/16/509.html
Re: Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by Nchara: 7:22pm On Nov 16, 2009
So Amadi Ikwuecheghi it was who appointed Orji Kalu, a start illiterate, as Bank Chairman. That act alone kickstarted the thieving career of Orji, and the late Amadi should be culpable for that.

1 Like

Re: Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by furusky: 8:47am On Nov 17, 2009
'So Amadi Ikwuecheghi it was who appointed Orji Kalu, a start illiterate, as Bank Chairman. That act alone kickstarted the thieving career of Orji, and the late Amadi should be culpable for that.'

You have totally missed the point. I wonder why some dont focus on the 'AIM.' This is about a dead man, not judgement time mini god. Hiss,
Amadi made an impact in our country and Imo State, may his soul rest in Perfect Peace, Amen.
Re: Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 17, 2009
Rip
Re: Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by princekevo(m): 9:36am On Nov 17, 2009
Nchara:

So Amadi Ikwuecheghi it was who appointed Orji Kalu, a start illiterate, as Bank Chairman. That act alone kickstarted the thieving career of Orji, and the late Amadi should be culpable for that.
My fren stick to the post. The dead man you are trying fault is one of the governor who served their state in great honour. This is one of the military governors that makes me think they were better than the criminals we have today as the democratic governors. There was lil or no sense of loothing then, like the once today who hides under the umbrella of democracy to loot state funds.

RIP.
Re: Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead by Kx: 9:47am On Nov 17, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Ex-Gov Amadi Ikwechegh is dead • Kalu, T. A. Orji, Ohakim, others react

Former governor of old Imo State, Commodore Amadi Ikwechegh is dead. He died after a protracted illness following a stroke he suffered two years back. After the stroke, he went abroad for treatment,
The retired naval officer died last Tuesday in the United States of America
Am sure when he was d sole admin of d state,he approved series of health and medical related contracts.
He must have been given chieftancy titles for buidling and equipping hospitals.

Yet they all die abroad in search of medics. shocked
The evil that men do!

(1) (Reply)

Cbn Debtors’ List (October 2009) / Bayelsa Governor Aspirants Set To Defy PDP / Shoprite Enters Anambra As Obi Lays Foundation For $30m Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.