Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,329 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

"I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President (31699 Views)

I Will Not Step Down Nor Die - 93-year-old Zimbabwean President, Mugabe Boast / Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by modupe2: 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
Any sense in what you have just said??

DrChukzy:
The inclusion of that Dullard called Buhari is one of the reasons the man rejected to step down.

2 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:

In politics you read between the lines and pay close attention to body language.

Everybody knows about the human rights abuses under Jammeh's administration.

Barrow just confirmed in that interview that he will look into it and apply the law. In other words we are talking about jail term or death on conviction depending on what the law says in The Gambia. Now that was tackless of Barrow knowing you are trying to get rid of a dictator who has control of the army. Patience and less talk is a virtue, especially for a president.

You claimed a lady supporter of his made the comments. Any link of that to back your assertion?

Thanks for your insight on this topic...

Whether he said it or his coalition lady said it...Jammeh has been threatened hence has to stand and fight...he just declared he isn't a coward meaning he's not afraid to die fighting than be humiliated... Other folks mentioning Gbagbo treatment, Gadaffi etc here feel everybody is afraid of death as they are cheesygrin

I don't understand what the guy is arguing about...

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by mu2sa2: 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
nwamehn:

I'm neither in support of ur view nor his but if u read what he wrote well, u would have seen that he said they wouldn't have conceded defeat after elections if they were Muslims. So, I guess u would have to find non-muslim presidents who didn't concede defeat after elections that they lost and use them as examples (I believe there ar many of them) and not Kabila and Mugabe, cos those two ar yet to lose elections first, let alone conceding defeat.
Since you have decided to hold his brief, can you tell us what islam has got to do with jammeh's about turn? Mugabe, a Catholic, when it was clear he was going to lose an election disbanded the electoral commission and dismissed the election! Kabila is refusing to even hold an election. Would you hold Christianity responsible for their action just because they are xtians?

2 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by fm4real2k6(m): 1:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
Opposition don't need to fret!

Just target his kitchen-cabinets, they are the one encouraging him not to step down.

By the time 2,3,4 of his advisers are down, no one will tell him to surrender.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by nwamehn: 1:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
SmartyPants:

He simply had to toe the neutral line. To claim outrightly claim Mr. Jammeh would not be prosecuted at all would rile up the people who had just voted him in to power; to claim he would not be prosecuted and later turn back on that would on the other hand rile up Mr. Jammeh's fanbase and set a bad precedent of dishonesty from his government; and to outrightly claim he would be prosecuted would be to back the man into a corner and cause him to defend his interests fiercely. As you can see, the only acceptable political answer is the one that says everything and yet says nothing.

http://europe.newsweek.com/new-gambian-government-will-prosecute-jammeh-says-coalition-chair-529102

Why must he say that the law must be applied to everyone?
What happens to statement like "We will see what happens, but worthy of note is that prosecuting or not prosecuting Jammeh isn't Gambia's pressing need at present. We have to think more of how to make Gambia great again"?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by NairaMaster1(m): 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
[quote author=MARKone post=52127782]There is something fundamentally wrong with African leaders, this Idi Amin look alike of a man have been in power since 1994, is now defeated and refuses to step down. undecided. If it is archival men like own Bubu and Mugabe, it is power drunk iidiots, that thinks that the country is their personal property, sad indeed.[/quote

But we support them my brother. It's a pity some idiots will come for your head]
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by lastpage: 1:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
AjayiWrites:
I hope this man wont be disgraced? 22 years never do abi?

Read more

http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2016/12/i-will-not-step-down-says-jammeh.html?m=1

Leave him now, that was how Laurent Gbagbo started his own disgrace.
He should be arrested and chained like a Dog and then hauled to the Hague, withdrawal of membership or not. angry angry
Those whom the Gods are about to destroy, dem nor dey hear word!

This is why l know that Goatluck Jonathan was smart, though timid!
My guy nor wan go prison, he quickly handover
grin grin grin

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by nwamehn: 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2016
mu2sa2:
Since you have decided to hold his brief, what has islam got to do with a jammeh's about turn?

I don't know. That's exactly what u have to prove to the guy by giving him examples of non-muslims that lost election but refused to concede defeat, and not using Kabila and Mugabe as examples.
If someone says that if Jonathan and Mahama were to be Muslims that they would not have conceded defeat after losing election, then just give him examples of non-muslims that refused to concede defeat after losing election to show him that it's not only Muslims that refuse to concede defeat after losing election. And not bringing examples of people who haven't lost election before. How can someone concede defeat for an election he won?

Boss, I am not saying Islam or Christianity caused whoever not to concede defeat to whoever. I'm only telling u that ur examples of Kabila and Mugabe ar very flawed.
1. Kabila: He was elected as President in 2006. In 2011, he was re-elected for a second term. Kabila's term was due to expire on 20 December 2016 as per the constitution, adopted in 2006. Officials have suggested elections will be held November 2016. However, on 29 September 2016, the nation's electoral authority announced that the election would not be held until early 2018. Talk has focused on the need for a census before holding elections.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kabila
So, boss, I don't know how exactly u got this ur info about Kabila refusing to hold elections.
2. Mugabe: Opposition to Mugabe grew, particularly through the Movement for Democratic Change, although he was re-elected in 2002, 2008, and 2013 through campaigns dominated by electoral fraud and nationalistic appeals to his rural Shona voter base.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mugabe
At the same time, I don't know exactly how we arrived at the fact that the last election held in Zimbabwe in 2013 was cancelled when Mugabe saw he would lose. We can only say that the elections were characterised with so much electoral fraud which prevails all over Africa including Nigeria.

But, u can go to google and get names of non-muslim presidents who refused to concede defeat when they lost election and post them, that would trash the guy's argument straightaway, and not using Kabila and Mugabe as examples.
The perfect example I expected u to give was Robert Guei, my only problem is that he later conceded defeat and fled after series of protests from people.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Vick4rill(m): 1:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
brokenplate:

That one concern them

Dear Nairalanders thanks for your patronage so far. Please contact me on my signature for your Xmas goat.
i hope after xmas we can rest with this constant and boring advertisement?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by BabaO2: 1:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
MARKone:
There is something fundamentally wrong with African leaders, this Idi Amin look alike of a man have been in power since 1994, is now defeated and refuses to step down. undecided. If it is archival men like own Bubu and Mugabe, it is power drunk iidiots, that thinks that the country is their personal property, sad indeed.

Stop the age thing,, if they are useful why not?incompetent jonathan was in early 50 when he became vice president and president in 50s.
The super powers of the world don't toy with their future like Nigeria did during Jonathan era...
what is your point really? Donald Trump USA is in his 70s, Russia in his late 60s,Japan, china, singapore's leadership etc are in trusted and experienced hands
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by brokenplate: 1:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Vick4rill:
i hope after xmas we can rest with this constant and boring advertisement?

Let's see
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Sirwallace(m): 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
onatisi:

Jammeh will not step down and nothing will happen,the worst that will happen is sanctions been imposed on Gambia .

what about gbagbo that did the same in ivory coast. how did he end up? guess you are not a student of history. this is 2016 not 1816.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by onatisi(m): 2:04pm On Dec 21, 2016
Sirwallace:

what about gbagbo that did the same in ivory coast. how did he end up? guess you are not a student of history. this is 2016 not 1816.
Mr man . We are talking about Gambia and not ivory coast,different ppl with different culture and politics. If u are thinking that one country will send troops to Gambia ,then you are simply dreaming
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2016
Buhari people !
They don't CONCEDE defeat!
Redundant/shameless SORE LOSERS!
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by dallyemmy: 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2016
LET HIM STEP UP...ONE DAY, ONE DAY...
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by DeRay98(m): 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2016
Aburi001:
This guy will end up like Samuel Doe and Charlce Taylor of Liberia grin

You can not impose yourself on your People

He wants the blood of innocent people to be spilled but his defeat didn't cause trouble and blood shed in the land. He wants to provote blood shed by force. He will be treated the last Ivorian President and disgraced like Charles Taylor.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Charly68: 2:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
Now I know the tyrant is under heavy spell & I pity his mother.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Reference(m): 2:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:
This is what you get when you are unpresidential in your utterances...

Barrow won and Jammeh conceded, only for Barrow to start talking about probes of corruption and human rights abuses.
Why not wait until the transfer of power before making your intentions known?

Reminds me of Buhari making the 97% vs 5% unpresidential comment that have since polarised the country.

They should start thinking about compromises as Barrow has spoilt everything already. Jammeh being a soldier will not be a sitting duck, and would rather die than be humiliated by a civilian.

Diplomacy is what is needed now. Buhari is a square peg for this round hole, as I doubt he knows anything about diplomacy to have been asked to head this mission.

That's is the classic african ignorance exhibited. He must have followed the American election to the letter and thought he was Trump, making all sorts of incendiary statements but without the foundations of institutions to support them. He forgot Jammeh is an institution he is trying to abrogate while he himself stands on thin ice. Indeed he should see what the so called war on corruption has brought Nigeria, the destruction of institutions, the truncating of government and the recession, all because of careless, thoughtless statements and half hearted, random, flip flopping, the kind of vacuum only mediocrity exploits.

What has ultimately saved the Nigerian state from catastrophic implosion was the gentleman's agreement that spared ex-president's from probes, prosecution, persecution and all the bile of golgotha just so that they can let go of power. This expensive culture has no doubt aided at least one smooth transition of power betwèen political foes so much so that even states are beginning to adopt these measures. African countries ought to learn from this to keep the slight flame of democratic hope alive while they huff and puff to add more wood to the fires of change and development.

Both victor and vanquished are complicit in this sordid drama.

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by UchaNwababa: 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:
This is what you get when you are unpresidential in your utterances...

Barrow won and Jammeh conceded, only for Barrow to start talking about probes of corruption and human rights abuses.
Why not wait until the transfer of power before making your intentions known?

Reminds me of Buhari making the 97% vs 5% unpresidential comment that have since polarised the country.

They should start thinking about compromises as Barrow has spoilt everything already. Jammeh being a soldier will not be a sitting duck, and would rather die than be humiliated by a civilian.

Diplomacy is what is needed now. Buhari is a square peg for this round hole, as I doubt he knows anything about diplomacy to have been asked to head this mission.

U made a point
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by TeamSimple(m): 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2016
costandi:
Thats why I'm forever of the of opinion that Islam is a thorn in the flesh of the world. The most recent African Presidents who have shown examplary leadership by conceding defeat Jonathan and Mahama would surely not have done so, were they Muslims. Now, he's claiming that only allah can take the presidency away from him. Same way our Islamic president said some years back that he'd make the country ungovernable, just because he lost at the polls. Call me a religious bigot for all I care. Islam is all about war and bloodshed, and they do all these in the name of Allah. What a tragedy!
You are not just a religious Bigot,you are an Idiota.

Laurent Gbabo of cote d'voire
Robert Mugab of Zimbabwe aren't they christians.
Typical Nigerian christian,quick to tell us the once that relinquished power as a christian but failed to tell u about others that didn't even after seeing people mention Gbabo in the comments.

You people will never hide your hypocrisy one bit..Are people of Gambia who voted him out not muslims? I the incoming president not muslim?

Whenever a muslim does something abnormal, Islam is under fire but your brain becomes block when same happens through a christian.

The same way your forefathers detest Islam,but still went 6feet underground with Islam still growing in numbers,so shall you and your likes end up in the grave and Islam still gonna be practice. The earlier you note that the better for your health.

Useless son of discord.

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Paentera(m): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
hotice01:
Nothing will happen to Jammeh!
The worse that can happen is sanctions imposed on Gambia.
If Assad of Syria is still in power then Jammeh stands a good chance.
I believe he is smarter than most of think.For him to make this decision he has covered all his bases.
After seeing how GEJ is been treated by the same man who was appointed head of negotiation committee for ECOWAS,he had to take this decision to save his neck and prestige.
Not everyone is as docile as GEJ.

Weak, ineffectual analysis.

Assad has mouth because of Russia's backing. Who is backing Jammeh?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by hotice01: 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
Paentera:

Weak, ineffectual analysis.
Assad has mouth because of Russia's backing. Who is backing Jammeh?
Let's wait and see what he has up his sleeves.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by nwamehn: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
TeamSimple:

You are not just a religious Bigot,you are an Idiota.

Laurent Gbabo of cote d'voire
Robert Mugab of Zimbabwe aren't they christians.
Typical Nigerian christian,quick to tell us the once that relinquished power as a christian but failed to tell u about others that didn't even after seeing people mention Gbabo in the comments.

You people will never hide your hypocrisy one bit..Are people of Gambia who voted him out not muslims? I the incoming president not muslim?

Whenever a muslim does something abnormal, Islam is under fire but your brain becomes block when same happens through a christian.

The same way your forefathers detest Islam,but still went 6feet underground with Islam still growing in numbers,so shall you and your likes end up in the grave and Islam still gonna be practice. The earlier you note that the better for your health.

Useless son of discord.

Not that I'm supporting u or him but Gbagbo and Mugabe ar flawed examples. Maybe u will think of Robert Guei. Gbagbo was actually declared winner by their constitutional council (election tribunal) while Mugabe never lost the elections, though we know that the elections were characterised with massive rigging, just as other countries' in Africa, Nigeria's inclusive.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by TeamSimple(m): 3:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
Dare2Try:
The Allah people at it again, I'm getting afraid of Dem this days
Run to the Vatican.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by oyeb15: 3:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
Are we even sure if our man will go if voted out in 2019?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by paradigmshift(m): 3:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
phlio666:
go ask gbagbo and gadafi .....wetin do dem.........

don't compare this idiot to gadafi. gadafi was killed because of America interest... they regret killing gadafi big time...
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by MrCounselor: 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2016
oyeb15:
Are we even sure if our man will go if voted out in 2019?

Not in naija, by fire by force. Abi he wan do military strong thing again ni? Ka ma ri...
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by mu2sa2: 3:18pm On Dec 21, 2016
nwamehn:

I don't know. That's exactly what u have to prove to the guy by giving him examples of non-muslims that lost election but refused to concede defeat, and not using Kabila and Mugabe as examples.
If someone says that if Jonathan and Mahama were to be Muslims that they would not have conceded defeat after losing election, then just give him examples of non-muslims that refused to concede defeat after losing election to show him that it's not only Muslims that refuse to concede defeat after losing election. And not bringing examples of people who haven't lost election before. How can someone concede defeat for an election he won?

Boss, I am not saying Islam or Christianity caused whoever not to concede defeat to whoever. I'm only telling u that ur examples of Kabila and Mugabe ar very flawed.
1. Kabila: He was elected as President in 2006. In 2011, he was re-elected for a second term. Kabila's term was due to expire on 20 December 2016 as per the constitution, adopted in 2006. Officials have suggested elections will be held November 2016. However, on 29 September 2016, the nation's electoral authority announced that the election would not be held until early 2018. Talk has focused on the need for a census before holding elections.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kabila
So, boss, I don't know how exactly u got this ur info about Kabila refusing to hold elections.
2. Mugabe: Opposition to Mugabe grew, particularly through the Movement for Democratic Change, although he was re-elected in 2002, 2008, and 2013 through campaigns dominated by electoral fraud and nationalistic appeals to his rural Shona voter base.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mugabe
At the same time, I don't know exactly how we arrived at the fact that the last election held in Zimbabwe in 2013 was cancelled when Mugabe saw he would lose. We can only say that the elections were characterised with so much electoral fraud which prevails all over Africa including Nigeria.

But, u can go to google and get names of non-muslim presidents who refused to concede defeat when they lost election and post them, that would trash the guy's argument straightaway, and not using Kabila and Mugabe as examples.
The perfect example I expected u to give was Robert Guei, my only problem is that he later conceded defeat and fled after series of protests from people.
And still the question remains unanswered - what has islam got to do with somebody refusing to accept election result?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by hysteriabox(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2016
AjayiWrites:

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5N1EG022

THEN YOUR CASE WILL BE WORSE THAN GADDAFI. This man's arrogance is simply disgusting. Its his office from birth ko. Heaven fights the arrogant, lemme tell you. If he doesnt realize that the world has gone pass dictatorship and subversion of the will of the populace, then he ll learn it on his way to hell. Him and DRCongo's power drunk Kabila. The sword of judgment is against y'all
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Israel317(m): 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
Don't step down, die there.Black monkey, greedy and selfish man.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 3:32pm On Dec 21, 2016
jomoh:

So who did? Who provided for the materials used in election.

If the constitution called for election and he decided to follow suit. If he had decided not to go ahead with the election like he has done in the past 22years who would care? No one.

But he consented to the constitution by allowing the election and even participating.

Gadaffi never called for an election and his people never complained only the external forces that he wouldn't now to.

The Independent Electoral Commission did all that of course. Let's not drag this further. Constitution calls for elections and creates Independent Electoral Comission to conduct them independent of the president.

Obviously.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Whytelyon(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2016
Isiokpukpu:

No this is unacceptable. He should be in Gambia already. Jammeh must accept defeat just the way he accepted defeat in 2011

grin you sef no serious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gambian Soldiers Removing Jammeh's Posters On Gambian Streets (Photo) / 8-Year-Old Queen Nnenna Abel Kalu Feeds Over 200 Street Children In Lagos / Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.