Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? (6492 Views)

Poll: Who is most qualified to lead the Super Eagles?

Fatih Terim: 0% (0 votes)
Guus Hiddink: 66% (14 votes)
Giovanni Trappatoni: 9% (2 votes)
Amodu: 23% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles / Tijjani Babangida Appointed As Special Assistant To Coach Sunday Oliseh / Keshi Is The Best Indigenous Coach Nigeria Has Ever Had" - Okocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:08pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Perhaps you missed this?

I didn't miss that, i remember what i said and i still hold on to that.

FBS:

So basically we are on the same page, innit?  cheesy

But you see, this is something that could have been done if NFF wanted this implemented. I'm not sure they do.
Agreed, he should take the boys to the nations cup and it's a risk we are willing to take though before then, he should engage the team in a couple of friendlies first. . .from there we will see what he is trying to do.

Yes, someone with a rich technical idea should be included to the technical crew. but i heard Siasia said he can't be an assistant to anyone when its time to handle the national team so how do we do it?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Emperoh(m): 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

What the NFA/NFF can do is to bring them (Amodu and Sia1) together and work as one.

FBS
Pally tell me u don't mean this? Its now u will see the sort of apathy that will be between them?
Who will be the boss if i may ask? If its Amodu, i bet u Sia1 will take the walk before the affair even materialises.
If it Sia1, Amodu will feel insulted. If u want to keep amodu, give him John Obuh as Amokachi to me knows next to nothing.
He's better off a Fitness trainer with his muscles and biceps.

As for the post, I am all for what you said
As it stand, some of us don't even know that we don't have a play pattern. We just hit the ball around and hope it falls to a striker to score
If not for a player like Osaze, na only Oluwa know wetin we go dey do by now.

Amodu can't motivate this team, he has lost their respect in my opinion. Technically bankrupt and seem to be bereft of any idea
For those who say he hasn't lost any competitive match, they should show me what he has achieved that is new.
Silver medal my foot. . . . .has the Super Eagles fallen that low to jubilate over being second best?
Thats not why i invest emotionally to watch my country's national team play.
If we play good football and lose, thats a different case just like last Sunday. But what is on ground as of today leaves much to be desired.
So those who think Amodu should stay, should prepare to come back here and type grammar on how uncommited, skilless and bereft our players are.
I dare say that at some point, i even thought Kanu was the caoch!! grin grin
He who has ear should listen. Get me a coach who is sound technically, a thorough phycologist like Mourinho and someone who can motivate his team.

Tell me what soo special about the Egyptian National team or even Mozambique, Gabon, South Africa or Algeria?
U don't need superstars to win. U need a team and only a good coach and manager can build one!!!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Agreed that the first 2 have laurels to show with their CV, but pep never had anything and when he was employed, he lost some virtual matches (before the treble) but was not fired and we later saw what he was able to do (won the treble), so what i am saying now is that we shouldn't just push siasia away just because he did bad with the u-20 (his selections).

Now to coaches handling national teams, the french coach is still there, Egyptian coach is still there and host of others, they perform both good and bad, yet they haven't been fired or replaced with a foreigner, so why do we have to fire a coach yet to lose a competitive match when others have lost more than one? Dunga has lost more matches than Amodu, yet he's taking Brazil to the world cup.
Again, my stand is not exactly going "foreign". Nah, give me ANY good coach and by good I mean a credible track record.

Pep had a very good record with the B team and the reason why he was given that post. It wasn't out of the blues. Yes he lost some matches and was not fired but you should know why.
Was Frank R not fired? Manager get fired easily.
Dunga was under serious fire until he started winning the necessary matches.
France? Give a call to Domenech and ask him wetin dey? I can tell you that he ain't feeling too good about his team. Remember even his captain criticised him. How bad can that be?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

don't we know of alot of countries with local coaches doing well like Brazil, Spain, Egypt and the rest? must we always follow the English because they were our colonial master?
why compare with brazil, spain or italy?
all these nations have world class players parading their talents week in week out and any mediocre coach will def just need man management skills to get the best out of them.

A fair comparison would have been with greece who without world class talents won the euro '04 championship with a german master tactician (otto rehhagel).
Nigerian footballers are average and can't even command constant shirts at their respective clubs and only a master tactician/man manager can get the best out of them.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

I didn't miss that, i remember what i said and i still hold on to that.

Yes, someone with a rich technical idea should be included to the technical crew. but i heard Siasia said he can't be an assistant to anyone when its time to handle the national team so how do we do it?
Exactly, since Sia1 cannot be an assitant and clearly Amodu is NOT (maybe it's just my opinion) a very good coach. The guy cannot even motivate his players. What do we do?
Are you happy with the way the boys are playing?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Exactly, since Sia1 cannot be an assitant and clearly Amodu is NOT (maybe it's just my opinion) a very good coach. The guy cannot even motivate his players. What do we do?
Are you happy with the way the boys are playing?

since you are not clamoring for a foreign coach, why then did you put up these 3 names? and who in your own mind do you want us to employ?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by ow11(m): 2:19pm On Nov 17, 2009
There is no need to bring in a foreign coach. It is a quick fix that won't do anything to make us any happier after July 2010. Rather than this same merry go round, NFF should seek to poach academy coaches from Ajax, Barcelona and Switzerland grin to come and run the Pepsi Academy or better still replicate KWSG's effort in 6 other states in the country.

This would ensure that by 2018, we would have REAL 24- 27 year olds commanding regular shirts in AC Milan, FC Barcelona, Manchester United and Bayern Munich and not pinning our hopes on spent forces (Kanu, Fatkubu, Yobo and Olofinjana) and average players (Martins, Odemwengie, Nsofor, Taiwo) to win the world cup with Guus Hiddink in charge.

Our players are at best average with very poor team spirit and almost zero work ethic which are missing ingredients in a mediocre team (Greece-2004, Denmark-1992) that went on to win honours.

Nigeria can ONLY win the world cup with very good players because any player we produce will have the Nigerian mentality that negates working together for a common good!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

why compare with brazil, spain or italy?
all these nations have world class players parading their talents week in week out and any mediocre coach will def just need man management skills to get the best out of them.

A fair comparison would have been with greece who without world class talents won the euro '04 championship with a german master tactician (otto rehhagel).
Nigerian footballers are average and can't even command constant shirts at their respective clubs and only a master tactician/man manager can get the best out of them.

Why do i have to leave them out? what about Egypt? what about other countries with local coaches that i didn't mention? when we won the nations cup in 1980, was it not a local coach that won it for us? alot of countries like that did well with local coaches not just Brazil, Spain and Italy. these same sets of prayers we have now were once "superstars" and were better than now when they were under that short German devil called a coach, (what's that his stupid name), what did he achieve? a mere quarter final round (nations cup). Egoavhouen is even better than that useless foreign coach.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:24pm On Nov 17, 2009
Emperoh:

FBS
Pally tell me u don't mean this? Its now u will see the sort of apathy that will be between them?
Who will be the boss if i may ask? If its Amodu, i bet u Sia1 will take the walk before the affair even materialises.
If it Sia1, Amodu will feel insulted. If u want to keep amodu, give him John Obuh as Amokachi to me knows next to nothing.
He's better off a Fitness trainer with his muscles and biceps.

As it stand, some of us don't even know that we don't have a play pattern. We just hit the ball around and hope it falls to a striker to score

Amodu can't motivate this team, he has lost their respect in my opinion. Technically bankrupt and seem to be bereft of any idea
For those who say he hasn't lost any competitive match, they should show me what he has achieved that is new.
Silver medal my foot. . . . .has the Super Eagles fallen that low to jubilate over being second best?
Thats not why i invest emotionally to watch my country's national team play.
If we play good football and lose, thats a different case just like last Sunday. But what is on ground as of today leaves much to be desired.
So those who think Amodu should stay, should prepare to come back here and type grammar on how uncommited, skilless and bereft our players are.
I dare say that at some point, i even thought Kanu was the caoch!! grin grin
He who has ear should listen. Get me a coach who is sound technically, a thorough phycologist like Mourinho and someone who can motivate his team.

Tell me what soo special about the Egyptian National team or even Mozambique, Gabon, South Africa or Algeria?
U don't need superstars to win. U need a team and only a good coach and manager can build one!!!

Padi mi, no vex  cheesy but you see, it's a moral (to some extent) and very dicey thing.
Amodu did not lose any match. True and this is NOT bad, yes?
If this is not bad, then he should be allowed to continue with the boys and build a good team. But this is a risk, are we ready to take it?
If he will gel with Obuh, I'm all for it, but question is will they? Ego will set in and we will end up more confused imo.
I suggested Sia1 'cos I felt they could ride together but now that you have opened my eyes. . .wahala dey oo!

In essence this is also my point!

Get me a coach who is sound technically, a thorough phycologist like Mourinho and someone who can motivate his team.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:25pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

since you are not clamoring for a foreign coach, why then did you put up these 3 names? and who in your own mind do you want us to employ?
Bros, as you can see on the first post, I made no comments at all. It was an article on www.kickoffnigeria.com

I felt, hey, this will be good for NL. Folks can get to discuss. Geddit? wink
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Bros, as you can see on the first post, I made no comments at all. It was an article on www.kickoffnigeria.com

I felt, hey, this will be good for NL. Folks can get to discuss. Geddit? wink

Well then, since you don't support a foreign coach, can you as well change these foreign names with local coaches names? undecided
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 2:34pm On Nov 17, 2009
12 games, 9 wins, 9 clean sheets, 3 draws, No game lost, 20 goals scored, 5 goals conceded in 12 games and a WC ticket is not horrible by my standards.

FACT: No other team IN AFRICA has a better qualifying statistics bar goals scored/conceded statistics. NO OTHER TEAM.

Even Brazil has a worse qualifying record for WC 2010 to this.

The draw with Mozambique made us unnecessarily condemn Amodu and put pressure on his team despite having being magnificent in the first 6 games (although some fools were condemning him even then).

Second time he is qualifying us for a WC.

His only failure so far in my opinion is not instilling hunger in these passionless players.

I maintain he would have been a national hero if not for the slowpoke called Taye Taiwo, if the scores had read Nig 2 - Tun 1.

Take a look at the fool that let a player jog past him and could not be bothered to chase afterwards.

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/9uQzur0DsIg&feature/related[/flash]
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:35pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Well then, since you don't support a foreign coach, can you as well change these foreign names with local coaches names? undecided
The poll is based on the article itself. Those 3 names were mentioned.

I think there is another thread for other coaches
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-352652.0.html
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 2:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
Solid post but I would adjust to say semi-finals as the other WC qualifiers are not walkovers and any two of them can reach the finals:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=353151.msg4941894#msg4941894

If he reaches the SF, then no doubt he should take us to WC.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Emperoh(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS
People should bite me. Our solution is getting a Foreign Technical adviser.
No Nigerian coach has the pedigree for the extent of work to be done in the Super Eagles.
Except Maybe Keshi; not too convinced with him though.
Off all the work to be done, three stand out. . . .

We also need someone to evolve a youth team and discover talents. The last escape with Berti Vogts was the most foolish recruitment i have ever seen an adult make in our football. Its crazy employing a coach who doesn't even know how to build up a team. Amodu CANNOT build a team assuming we take these crop of players from him. He has shown it time and time again. Till we sort this three things out, nothing will work for us. Average players can get results but u must imbibe that which lacks with Star players.

We need a motivator. A psychologist who can leverage the mindset of these players. Only god knows what made Mikel play the way he did last saturday. That was his best match thus far for the SE. Amodu does not have that. football doesn't end up with fielding eleven players. Guys have pointed out Otto Rehagel et. Even Mourinho in his first season at Chelsea was a perfect example. The Players where ready to die for him to get the required result. U also need a personality these players will respect at all times. SOmeone to instill discipline in that team which is at present lacking. Whatever happens, we need a personality.

We need to evolve a style of play. . . .we have totally lost that evolved by Westerhoff and Jo Bonfrere.
Moreso, development in soccer has eclipsed the methods then in practice. A style that will manage and churn out results in an Eagles team without
a natural play maker. Someone in the mould of at least Okocha. There are talents but not enough experience to go with it. Can someone tell who is the next partner to Yobo in CD? Amodu never fared well in getting a regular team. Never had a mind of his own. Once the press said something about a player u can be sure to see him the team in his next match.

Does Amodu Shuaibu have any of these qualities? HELL NO!! Pls don't look for water in the desert.
Those squealing about his records should please give me a break. This man is just a lucky fella to get these things work.
U need more than luck to win a tournament. Its more than 16 years we last won the Nations Cup.
Can Amodu create a time like the lass of '94? If he can, then let him take over the Super Eagles!!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 3:19pm On Nov 17, 2009
been readi g exchanges from everybody

intelligent posts from great Nairalanders!!

but the one above hits the nail on the head. Under Amodu, our game has retrogressed.
we play like Sudan or Tanzania; we dont see any pattern, we dont see fluidity, we dont see passion, we dont see hunger, we dont see teamwork.
all we see are some insipid and drab display typical of countries like azerbaijan and leicheistein

we need a coach that can bring out our potentials even tho our players are slightly above average. A good coach shld be able to work on them to bring us back to our usual level

Amodu shld be a goner by nau
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2009
tkb417:

been readi g exchanges from everybody

intelligent posts from great Nairalanders!!

but the one above hits the nail on the head. Under Amodu, our game has retrogressed.
we play like Sudan or Tanzania; we dont see any pattern, we dont see fluidity, we dont see passion, we dont see hunger, we dont see teamwork.
all we see are some insipid and drab display typical of countries like azerbaijan and leicheistein

we need a coach that can bring out our potentials even tho our players are slightly above average. A good coach shld be able to work on them to bring us back to our usual level

Amodu shld be a goner by nau

Recommend one abi?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2009
Emperoh:

FBS
People should bite me. Our solution is getting a Foreign Technical adviser.
No Nigerian coach has the pedigree for the extent of work to be done in the Super Eagles.
Except Maybe Keshi; not too convinced with him though.
Off all the work to be done, three stand out. . . .

We also need someone to evolve a youth team and discover talents. The last escape with Berti Vogts was the most foolish recruitment i have ever seen an adult make in our football. Its crazy employing a coach who doesn't even know how to build up a team. Amodu CANNOT build a team assuming we take these crop of players from him. He has shown it time and time again. Till we sort this three things out, nothing will work for us. Average players can get results but u must imbibe that which lacks with Star players.

We need a motivator. A psychologist who can leverage the mindset of these players. Only god knows what made Mikel play the way he did last saturday. That was his best match thus far for the SE. Amodu does not have that. football doesn't end up with fielding eleven players. Guys have pointed out Otto Rehagel et. Even Mourinho in his first season at Chelsea was a perfect example. The Players where ready to die for him to get the required result. U also need a personality these players will respect at all times. SOmeone to instill discipline in that team which is at present lacking. Whatever happens, we need a personality.

We need to evolve a style of play. . . .we have totally lost that evolved by Westerhoff and Jo Bonfrere.
Moreso, development in soccer has eclipsed the methods then in practice. A style that will manage and churn out results in an Eagles team without
a natural play maker. Someone in the mould of at least Okocha. There are talents but not enough experience to go with it. Can someone tell who is the next partner to Yobo in CD? Amodu never fared well in getting a regular team. Never had a mind of his own. Once the press said something about a player u can be sure to see him the team in his next match.

Does Amodu Shuaibu have any of these qualities? HELL NO!! Pls don't look for water in the desert.
Those squealing about his records should please give me a break. This man is just a lucky fella to get these things work.
U need more than luck to win a tournament. Its more than 16 years we last won the Nations Cup.
Can Amodu create a time like the lass of '94? If he can, then let him take over the Super Eagles!!

I am going to take my time to challenge this post.

It is quite funny someone can say Amodu cannot inspire SE and then refer to the likes of Jo Bonfrere as an example of someone that can. Considering we had to beg Amodu to save us when Bonfrere almost eliminated us from the 2002 WC after losing to Sierra Leone and Liberia.

It is the same Amodu we claim cannot motivate our players that came in and won the rest of the matches EMPHATICALLY WITH CLEAN SHEETS to save our skin.

And when it was time to go to the WC, we felt he was not white enough so any minimal lacklustre display is evidence of his tactical unawareness.

Years later after we brought Vogts in and he failed, we had to call on Amodu to take the job again.

The same Amodu we are claiming can not inspire our team won his first 6 matches (HOME and AWAY) without conceding a goal in SIX matches except a silly own goal. To top it up, when we doubted him the most and were talking of a slaughter against France, he went TO FRANCE (not Onikan stadium) with Nigeria's A minus team and beat them at home with a comprehensive display, but unfortunately he still has a black skin and we would lack confidence in him and say he can not inspire.

Now lets look at the pedigree you questioned, I would never say Amodu is world class, but lets look at his record:

6 Nigerian FA cup
1 Nigerian League championship
1 intercontinental cup (first Nigerian to win this)
First Nigerian coach to be offered a big contract role to coach outside Nigeria when he joined Orlando Pirates for $200K a year (back in 1996 that is, would be worth about $250K today and his skin was black then)
- He won the "African Super Cup", "FA Cup (Bob Save Super Bowl)", "Charity Cup" and the "Top Eight Cup (best 8 teams in league)" titles, and came 3rd in the league all under 1 year in charge.

Management of Super Eagles at Qualifiers and ANC (last 2 appointments only as the others were interim)

P    W    D    L    GF    GA    GD     CS (Clean sheet)
20  15   4    1    33     7     +26    16

The 1 loss was not in 90 mins and was to a team that later went on to beat the World Champions at the WC and also reached the QFs of the WC (only the second African team to ever do so).

I really don't know what further to say.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 4:26pm On Nov 17, 2009
Sagamite:

I am going to take my time to challenge this post.

It is quite funny someone can say Amodu cannot inspire SE and then refer to the likes of Jo Bonfrere as an example of someone that can. Considering we had to beg Amodu to save us when Bonfrere almost eliminated us from the 2002 WC after losing to Sierra Leone and Liberia.

It is the same Amodu we claim cannot motivate our players that came in and won the rest of the matches EMPHATICALLY WITH CLEAN SHEETS to save our skin.

And when it was time to go to the WC, we felt he was not white enough so any minimal lacklustre display is evidence of his tactical unawareness.

Years later after we brought Vogts in and he failed, we had to call on Amodu to take the job again.

The same Amodu we are claiming can not inspire our team won his first 6 matches (HOME and AWAY) without conceding a goal in SIX matches except a stupid own goal. To top it up, when we doubted him the most and were talking of a slaughter against France, he went TO FRANCE with Nigeria's A minus team and beat them at home with a comprehensive display, but unfortunately he still has a black skin and we would lack confidence in him and say he can not inspire.

Now lets look at the pedigree you questioned, I would never say Amodu is world class, but lets look at his record:

6 Nigerian FA cup
First Nigerian coach to be offered a big contract role to coach outside Nigeria when he joined Orlando Pirates for $200K a year (back in 1996 that is, would be worth about $250K today and his skin was black then)
- I think he won the "African Super Cup", "Bob Save Super Bowl", "Charity Cup" and the "Top Eight Cup" titles. I can't confirm all at the moment.

Management of Super Eagles at Qualifiers and ANC (last 2 appointments only as the others were interim)

20  15   4    1    33     7     +26    16

Thanks for the breakdown, wait for some people's negative comments.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Thanks for the breakdown, wait for some people's negative comments.

I don't know what to say.

If it is by luck he is winning 75% of his games, has lost only 1 (5%) and that is after extra time, has kept a clean sheet in 80% and his team bangs in goals rampantly without conceding much in return, then I beg lets take him and his blessed head to the WC.

I would prefer such luck than any world class coach.  undecided
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 5:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
@ Sag
what's the quality of the opposition he has had to come against?
we all watched the way 'em super fowls played recently so having winning records against team we should have no stress beating doesn't favour your argument.
Nigerian's national team has been known to play with flair and tactical onus so only a staunch amodu supporter will come here and tell us his results speaks for itself.

Can you please break down your analysis on the teams he has winning records against.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 5:18pm On Nov 17, 2009
The same Amodu we are claiming can not inspire our team won his first 6 matches (HOME and AWAY) without conceding a goal in SIX matches except a stupid own goal. To top it up, when we doubted him the most and were talking of a slaughter against France, he went TO FRANCE with Nigeria's A minus team and beat them at home with a comprehensive display, but unfortunately he still has a black skin and we would lack confidence in him and say he can not inspire.

6 Nigerian FA cup
- I think he won the "African Super Cup", "Bob Save Super Bowl", "Charity Cup" and the "Top Eight Cup" titles. I can't confirm all at the moment.

20  15   4    1    33     7     +26    16

haha

SAG is missing plenty points
Amodus successes have been with BCC Lions of Gboko where he won the mandela cup and nothing more
do you know Khadiri Ikhana won the elusive champions league for Enyimba? do you know during Amodus reign in Gboko, he never won the competition?

are you saying winning local leagues like you have displayed above is enuff credential to take us to World cup?
are you saying beating Mozambique, kenya and drawing Tunisia twice are enuff credentials to take us to world cup?
are you saying conceding goals in torrents like we saw against Kenya and Tunisia is the hallmark of your coach that can handle the SE?

qualifying for world cup is no feat as Ladan bosso can do it if the boiz will listen to him; we do not want to make up the numbers in South Africa, we want to compete like other African countries like CIV and Ghana are planning to do.

My expectation of Nigeria isnt what im seeing; we shouldnt be struggling to spray passes together while playing Mozambique. The Nigeria of today is like the Ghana of early 90s. we are poor in everything.

early 90s, the game against Kenya would have been concluded in the first half.

If we just want to make up the numbers, Amodu is good enuff, if we want to make an impact, then we need to get rid of him
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 5:27pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

@ Sag
what's the quality of the opposition he has had to come against?
we all watched the way 'em super fowls played recently so having winning records against team we should have no stress beating doesn't favour your argument.
Nigerian's national team has been known to play with flair and tactical onus so only a staunch amodu supporter will come here and tell us his results speaks for itself.

Can you please break down your analysis on the teams he has winning records against.

Irrespective of what teams he has been playing, he has been winning and has not lost bar to Senegal, in extra time that is, that went on to have an impressive WC where they trashed world champions France who had Zidane, Henry, Vieira, Sagnol, Petit, Lizarazu, Desailly etc.

And if you guys persist, i will remind you that we have not given him a chance to play a strong team except against France and what did he do when it mattered? We won them AWAY playing comprehensive.

You can't then really say well he is shining against small African teams and will not do well with big teams if you do not let him be in a position to do so.

In regards to flair and tactical onus, please one of you guys should remind me when last Nigeria did that?

1994? . . . . .1996? . . . . 1997?

We should stop living and dreaming of time gone by. Developing that capability takes time and our constant change of coaches would not lead us in achieving that especially when we factor in the extra monumental effort it would take to overcome the average nigerian player's mentality.

I saw the flair and tactical onus in the last 20 mins of the match against Tunisia in Abuja. We played BEAUTIFUL atacking football. I remember my live commentary here on NL telling all those ranting hate that there was NO WAY we would not score and we did score a beautiful team goal (see clip above) after bombarding them with different flavours of attack.

We are not going to achieve flair and coordination by changing coaches every 18 months.

EVERY team ups their game by the time the WC begins, I believe Amodu's team would also do. It would even be much easier for him if we stop this constant unwarranted attacks on him after he has achieved so much based on his records with the team. One draw with Mozambique is all that is leading to all this fever amongst nigerians.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by semid(m): 6:15pm On Nov 17, 2009
Sagamite, thank you. You have spoken my mind and said all there is to say.

Amodu is only been persecuted today because of the collective sins of Kanu Nwankwo, Taiye Taiwo and Dele Adeleye in our match against Tunisia in Abuja.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 6:35pm On Nov 17, 2009
tkb417:

haha

SAG is missing plenty points
Amodus successes have been with BCC Lions of Gboko where he won the mandela cup and nothing more
do you know Khadiri Ikhana won the elusive champions league for Enyimba? do you know during Amodus reign in Gboko, he never won the competition?

are you saying winning local leagues like you have displayed above is enuff credential to take us to World cup?

Yes, Amodu success has been local but the key point there is that he dominated the local scene. Even the league championships he did not win, he was always in the top 3.

Lets not forget our league is and has always been inferior to the North Africans and then SA, so eventually breaking the mould with impressive displays was a big achievement that was not seen again until Kadiri. So I don't think we can condemn Amodu much for not winning the ACL when there are teams with better resources and backing that have dominated and still do. Secondly, he came second in Mandela Cup a year later, so you were wrong with that nothing more.

Now to come to the local achievements (restricted only to Africa) you highlighted. I would never belittle his capability because of this when he has never been given an opportunity to prove himself beyond the shores.

Just the same way I will never look down on talents in Nigeria because they have not worked for GS, Mckinsey etc. They have not worked with the likes, not because they lack the talent but because they are not in an environment that provides tehm with the opportunity. With the opportunity they have got locally, some have shined and I am pretty sure if someone is open-minded in GS and gives your type a role, you would smash it. Same with Amodu, with the African-restricted oppotunity he has got, his records shows success.

So this is the time I want to see him at a world stage after being denied that at his first journey (when he saved us) because his pigment was not right.

tkb417:

are you saying beating Mozambique, kenya and drawing Tunisia twice are enuff credentials to take us to world cup?

No, I am saying based on his entire records of achievement, not just 4 games.

tkb417:

are you saying conceding goals in torrents like we saw against Kenya and Tunisia is the hallmark of your coach that can handle the SE?

qualifying for world cup is no feat as Ladan bosso can do it if the boiz will listen to him; we do not want to make up the numbers in South Africa, we want to compete like other African countries like CIV and Ghana are planning to do.

My expectation of Nigeria isnt what im seeing; we shouldnt be struggling to spray passes together while playing Mozambique. The Nigeria of today is like the Ghana of early 90s. we are poor in everything.

early 90s, the game against Kenya would have been concluded in the first half.

If we just want to make up the numbers, Amodu is good enuff, if we want to make an impact, then we need to get rid of him

Neither is my expectations of Nigeria is what I am seeing but I appreciate that it was the draw with the resilient Mozambicans that led to this heat. Before that, it was plain sailing.

Will Mozambique be able to hold Italy, Germany or even Czech republic at home like they did SE? Capital NO!

Why: Not because they are not good and resilient, but because complex would catch them when they see white. unfortunately we don't have such magic powers to knock their confidence. Same complex Tunisia and Egypt has everytime they reach WC but yet trouble the likes of Nigeria and Cameroun in Africa.

Mozambique is GOOD and we did well getting a draw there, in hindsight. That was all CIV could also get despite their bigger stars and Tunisia was walloped with ONLY ONE SHOT that the keeper had to bother to save (he was on holiday in Seychelles for the rest of the game).

World football has moved on since the 90s especially in Africa. Football is now big money, there is increased tactical support & info for nations through Fifa & players moving abroad and teams in Africa are becoming more solid than in the 90s.

Even in Europe, small teams have stepped up. Take a glance, look at the big teams and look at their scorelines with Albania, Finland, Cyprus, Armenia and the likes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

That said, I don't think our record was even that great back then. We were drawing with Kenya, SA and the likes of Algeria with our white coaches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

So football is not really like that, Amodu has a GREAT record.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 7:06pm On Nov 17, 2009
@sagamite
I am feeling you!!!, infact i 100% want to see amodu in the worldcup.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 7:34pm On Nov 17, 2009
Mozambique is GOOD and we did well getting a draw there, in hindsight. That was all CIV could also get despite their bigger stars and Tunisia was walloped with ONLY ONE SHOT that the keeper had to bother to save (he was on holiday in Seychelles for the rest of the game).
haha, what did Mozambique and CIV play in Abidjan? compare to what happened when they came here

World football has moved on since the 90s especially in Africa. Football is now big money, there is increased tactical support & info for nations through Fifa & players moving abroad and teams in Africa are becoming more solid than in the 90s
youre right just that the other super powers are still waxing stronger except Nigeria. CIV, Cameroon, Ghana and co will spell Mozambique anytime anyday just like Spain will wallop Bosnia anytime anyday.

same cannot be said of Nigeria; why? Footie is declining cos of a lotta factors
the inept football adminstrators aided by an incompetent manager who knows next to nothing about the dynamics of world footie.

i insist, from the evidence of play, we have nothing to offer the world at the mundial
even in qualification, CIV posted an impressive 3-0 victory at home against Guinea
remind me of when uve seen a 2 goal margin victory for Super eagles under Amodu and to thinkwe have been playing the likes of Kenya begs a lotta questions. only God knows the kinda humiliation that will come over us when we face teams like Ivory Coast and Ghana
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 7:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
tkb417:

haha, what did Mozambique and CIV play in Abidjan? compare to what happened when they came here
youre right just that the other super powers are still waxing stronger except Nigeria. CIV, Cameroon, Ghana and co will spell Mozambique anytime anyday just like Spain will wallop Bosnia anytime anyday.

same cannot be said of Nigeria; why? Footie is declining cos of a lotta factors
the inept football adminstrators aided by an incompetent manager who knows next to nothing about the dynamics of world footie.

i insist, from the evidence of play, we have nothing to offer the world at the mundial
even in qualification, CIV posted an impressive 3-0 victory at home against Guinea
remind me of when uve seen a 2 goal margin victory for Super eagles under Amodu and to thinkwe have been playing the likes of Kenya begs a lotta questions. only God knows the kinda humiliation that will come over us when we face teams like Ivory Coast and Ghana

you want a foreign coach right?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 7:51pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

you want a foreign coach right?
b4 nko cheesy
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 17, 2009
Do we expect these guys to perform miracles with little or no chance for a warm up or trial and error matches??
With the calibre of players we have, we are simply throwing 3-points in the air
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by semid(m): 8:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
Honeric01, if I may remix your lingo - I 1000000% want to see Amodu at the World cup.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 8:19pm On Nov 17, 2009
tkb417:

b4 nko cheesy

A foreign coach should apply after the world cup not now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mikel Obi Starts For Chelsea But Turned Down Super Eagles Call / Europe's Best Penalty Takers In The World Of Football / Football Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.