Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share (10257 Views)

Can You Drive On Nigerian Roads Without Scratches? / Security Personnels May Suspect Or Harrass You If You Drive These Vehicles / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by xreal: 3:32pm On Dec 21, 2016
Let's not make this a 'too-serious' thread, but let's learn and share.

Do you know...
The best and most recommended way to hold the steering wheel for general driving is with your hands placed at the 9 and 3 position (in other words, where 9 and 3 would appear if your steering wheel was a clock face). It allows you to turn the wheel most effectively and is the safest position if the airbag were to deploy. Many modern steering wheels even have thumb and finger grips to encourage you to hold the wheel in this position.

Holding the wheel at the 10 and 2 position used to be routinely recommended, but that was before the advent of airbags. Holding the wheel in this position could be deadly in the event of a crash, and hugely increases the possibility of injury caused by the deployment of the airbag.

Ensure you are sitting comfortably behind the steering wheel. If you extend your arm without lifting your shoulder from the cushion, your wrist should rest on the top of the wheel. You should not be sitting closer than 25cm (10 inches if you prefer) from the steering wheel hub.

Once seated comfortably, adjust the headrest and mirrors (inside and out) to suit your height. Adjust the steering wheel (some are adjustable up and down and in and out, others just up and down) using the lever or handle underneath the steering wheel – it may take a few moments to locate. You should be able to clearly see both side mirrors, rotate your head to check out any blind spots and have an unobstructed view through the windshield. Your external mirrors should show you what’s in the other lanes, not the side of your own car.

As you steer your vehicle, your hands should remain on the wheel at all times (unless you are driving a manual, in which case you’ll need to remove your right hand to change gears, but return your right hand to the wheel as soon as the gear change has been completed). The push-and-pull method allows you to safely rotate the steering wheel with both hands in contact. For example, for a right turn, you push the steering wheel in a clockwise motion with your left hand while simultaneously pulling the wheel in a clockwise direction with your right hand.

SOME BAD HABITS TO AVOID:

1. The steering wheel is not an armrest. Don’t drape your hand or forearm over the top of the wheel. Apart from reducing your control, it contorts your body into an unnatural position, further reducing your ability to react.

2. Don’t hold the wheel in any position other than 9 and 3. Holding the wheel with one of both hands in the upper quadrant severely reduces your ability to control your vehicle.

3. Don’t grab the wheel from behind (with the back of your hand facing forward and your fingers pointing back at you). Some drivers use this grip when making a turn. If the airbag were to deploy (which they do at 300km/h), the consequences could be very serious and in a collision your arm could be stuck and badly injured.

4. Don’t use the heel of your palm to turn the wheel. Such a technique offers minimal steering wheel control, and if the front wheels were to hit an obstacle, you have no ability to stop the steering wheel spinning out of your control. The same applies to driving with one hand, your fingertips or, even worse, with your knees.

5. If you are driving a manual vehicle, don’t rest your right hand on the gearlever. Once you have made the change, return your right hand to the steering wheel as quickly as possible.

6. Don’t let your passengers rest their feet on the dashboard. Apart from having to clean the dashboard later, if the airbag deploys, they could suffer serious injuries.

Now let's play and share...
Having read the above, we - as human, 'disobeys' the 'rules' unconsciously sometimes. grin
Several times, I have 'caught' myself doing the 7' O clock style.

Those school days, whenever we are opportune to drive into school or gatherings where school mates were... we do the 12,1 or 2 'O clock style with the left hand grin grin

At what 'time/clock' do u drive in your subconscious mind.
Share yours.

It's Christmas season again.
Christmas don't kill, wrong attitudes does.
Don't drink and drive; don't drive and drink.
Have a good sleep before getting on that steering.

I wish all Auto freaks (enthusiasts) a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New year.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by xreal: 3:32pm On Dec 21, 2016
Who does the 4/10 O'clock ?

The 10/2 O' clock is still ok, not recommended though.

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by xreal: 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2016

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Whizpeter(m): 4:37pm On Dec 21, 2016
On the highway, I do 7 O'clock but with my right hand while my left hand rests on the door... It reduces fatigue!

When driving in local roads and streets, 12 O'clock sure pass... There's this kinda swag that comes with it...
You just rest your left elbow on the door and use your eyes to scan around the hood for any potential catch... wink

Gosh I've got bad driving habits...!

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2016
12 and 2 o clock while cruising in the city. 3 and 9 o clock on the highway.
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Danfuster(m): 7:15pm On Dec 21, 2016
This is so going to be interesting. Ok... Here goes:

HIHGWAY:
I seriously don't mess around when on the highway, it's mostly 10-2 o'clock tho sometimes I get comfy and drop my guard to 7 o'clock when I'm my Eclass, but I quickly comport myself.

CITY:
OP: I know it's bad but nothing will ever deprive me of rocking my 12 or 1 o'clock with my left hand where my time piece is strapped and my right elbow resting on the extended center console with fingers caressing my beards and lips. grin

how can you tell me to 9-3 when my whip is sitting on 18" AMG crabbies, body 5" to the ground. When I'm cruising through my street and I'm bout to take that corner, I take it late so I can roll the steering 3 times(Benz Only) with my palm, wheels look like they gone pop out but naa...when he no be Honda grin
I swear... This shii is gangster cool

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by nams77: 9:27pm On Dec 21, 2016
I drive with one hand. Na bad habit but I can't help it. I learnt it from my roommate in school then and I am still stuck with it

1 Like

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Greene66: 1:57am On Dec 22, 2016
Abeg.. grin

12 O'clock most times(city and highway)

Once in a while the 10/2 O'clock

Na 12 sure pass

3 Likes

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by xreal: 2:54am On Dec 22, 2016
Danfuster:
This is so going to be interesting. Ok...

CITY:
OP: I know it's bad but nothing will ever deprive me of rocking my 12 or 1 o'clock with my left hand where my time piece is strapped and my right elbow resting on the extended center console with fingers caressing my beards and lips. grin

I can imagine the swag. grin grin
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by ironheart(m): 6:01am On Dec 22, 2016
7 O'clock quite comfy at cruising speed
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by youngice(m): 7:01am On Dec 22, 2016
12 o clock, manual corrupted me

2 Likes

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by yarimo(m): 1:23am On Dec 24, 2016
Especially on high ways I usually hold the staring 10 and 7 grin
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Originalsly: 8:37pm On Dec 24, 2016
Interesting! ...in city in traffic...12 o'clock. .. left hand... right elbow resting on the console... body leaning... tilted to passenger seat. In faster traffic... in and around city... ...sitting upright in seat...1 o'clock. .. right hand... arm straightened.... firm grip.. left elbow on door armrest. .. steering wheel between U formed by left thumb and index finger... ready to grip steering in case of emergency...like a blowout... or need to make a rash turn. Somehow... veryyyy uncomfortable driving with both hands as recommended. ... and fear drivers using both hands!... they kinda be stiff... slow to react!

1 Like

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Darkseid(m): 11:25pm On Dec 24, 2016
I usually put my right hand at 2 while my left arm hangs on the window. I know it's wrong but the swag no be here oo.
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by modsRbastard: 2:43am On Dec 25, 2016
Darkseid:
I usually put my right hand at 2 while my left arm hangs on the window. I know it's wrong but the swag no be here oo.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

==>

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Nobody: 6:18am On Dec 25, 2016
cheesy
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by VickyRotex(f): 6:19am On Dec 25, 2016
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by jamalnation(m): 6:20am On Dec 25, 2016
K
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by Nutase: 6:27am On Dec 25, 2016
cool
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by enitey(f): 6:27am On Dec 25, 2016
Interesting
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by pol23: 6:30am On Dec 25, 2016
5 0 clock.
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by recievesense: 6:31am On Dec 25, 2016
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by OCTAVO: 6:33am On Dec 25, 2016
12 and 2 O'clock
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by kennynelcon(m): 6:35am On Dec 25, 2016
11 and 1
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by ajbf: 6:35am On Dec 25, 2016
Swag of 12 and 2 o'clock no be here
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by chigoizie7(m): 6:37am On Dec 25, 2016
Na 12 o'clock sure pass oh, with my right hand.

Especially, when in the hood. Or in traffic
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by AgreatMan: 6:40am On Dec 25, 2016
12 O'clock with my hands going beyond the steering and resting on the dash board. If I am doing the 12, I usually drive with my wrists and not my hands. I drive with both hands perfectly.

If I am trying to weave around danfos or dribble around traffic, I don't care about hand position.

If I am on the express, Both hands MUST be firmly grapping the steeriing. Anything otherwise is a potential suicide mission.

3 Likes

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by LydayBobo(m): 6:45am On Dec 25, 2016
10 minutes to 2 is the approved way

1 Like

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by wellmax(m): 6:46am On Dec 25, 2016
I find it comfortable to drive with one hand at 12.
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by wellmax(m): 6:47am On Dec 25, 2016
LydayBobo:
10 minutes to 2 is the approved way
That has changed.

1 Like

Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by sakalisis(m): 6:52am On Dec 25, 2016
cool
Re: Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share by samsam2019: 7:00am On Dec 25, 2016
It's like my Dad made this post lol

He's always extra careful on wheel and he would get angry if you don't hold the steering wheel tight

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Car Makes A Squealing/whistling Sound When Ac Is Turned On / 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid / What Was The Longest Distance You Have Driven With A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.