Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,924 members, 7,828,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust (26638 Views)

Nigerians To Pay Stamp Duty On ATM Printouts, Some Whatsapp Messages - FIRS / How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands / Man Sleeping On ATM At Immigration Office Ikoyi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by kherlly(m): 9:49am On Dec 26, 2016
SPDAZZY:
Ecobank does this nonsense all the time. You either use your personal withdrawal slip, which cost me 300 naira last year ( I don't know what it costs now), or you are charged 200 for OTC

What is OTC?
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by chigoizie7(m): 9:52am On Dec 26, 2016
Useless country, useless banks, useless CBN, useless NDiC.

Is it the customers fault that ur services are weak or that ur ATM's can't dispense cash?

In a saner climes, the banks would have been in deep soup for wasting the customers time and embarrassing them for their own money kwa.

But no, the CBN will keep mute and allow banks to milk people of their hard earned money, tomorrow, u will be harassing yahoo bois with EFCC, which scam is bigger than this? This is daylight robbery. U can't coordinate urselves well, but will spend millions to discredit MMM.

This country is gone for good, there is no hope in sight.

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by abfalkolly(m): 9:53am On Dec 26, 2016
nickxtra:
The banking system is a fraud. I go with MMM style of banking cool
DtS good 4u oo
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by ndcide(m): 9:53am On Dec 26, 2016
insecticide:

I was surprised when i saw the thread. I work in a bank as well and nobody charges a dime for OTC, all one has to do is get a check or savings withdrawal booklet which has over 25 slips each.
On the ATM issue, there are threshold for each terminal so u can't just load an ATM with any amount. At my bank, the threshold is 3m per terminal.

so when the 3m is finished, what happens. You should know that this was a major issue nationwide. Many ATM didn't have cash. They were not out of service. They just weren't dispensing cash. even the ones in bank premises.

There was one access bank in Ikeja among the few dispensing. The branch has up to 8 machines but only two was dispensing. with the number of people there, there was no way one can get cash even after 3 hours. That doesn;t mean the offsite locations were dispensing.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by juman(m): 9:54am On Dec 26, 2016
EternalTruths:
Buhari's government is a curse . angry

Never witnessed this during Jonathan's era angry

Yeah, the government is a curse.
Very strange thing, no cash!

APC is a scam and nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by 2shur: 9:58am On Dec 26, 2016
really.
you mean thise in your area act that way.
definitely someone either you offended or hates you is after you.
generator and atm
men na robbery go take place be that cause if gen and atm dey malfunction from 27th to 31st den e clear say dia solar inverter go cast.
it would be like banking in darkness.
torch lights things

sorry bro.

koikoi2:

For instance Skye Bank. The one that annoys me most is that every 27th to 31st of the month when salaries are paid, suddenly Skye Bank will develop network problem or their generator will become faulty. You will spend the whole day inside the bank just to withdraw small money. After salary week the network will miraculously come back and their generator will start working.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by SPDAZZY(f): 9:58am On Dec 26, 2016
kherlly:

What is OTC?

Over The Counter
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by bolakale30(m): 9:59am On Dec 26, 2016
EternalTruths:

But this time last year, there was scarcity of petrol. I don't like the current government but I don't blame them for every mishap. Nigerians and our incurable amnesia though
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 26, 2016
Rich4god:
Are these journalist reporting the right thing or just hear say.... here in the north, I did not see it noticed any bank charging 200naira for OTC withdrawal. I matter the AMT u r withdrawing.

Did you read the write up? It did say 200 naira is charged for withdrawing from ATM but withdrawing inside the bank. That is for fund less than 150,000.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by SPDAZZY(f): 10:01am On Dec 26, 2016
insecticide:

I was surprised when i saw the thread. I work in a bank as well and nobody charges a dime for OTC, all one has to do is get a check or savings withdrawal booklet which has over 25 slips each.
On the ATM issue, there are threshold for each terminal so u can't just load an ATM with any amount. At my bank, the threshold is 3m per terminal.

Ecobank charges 200 naira if you don't have your withdrawal slip and they give you their slip
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by mapet: 10:15am On Dec 26, 2016
Einl:
This is poor journalism. I work in a bank. No bank charges for over the counter withdraw with your cheque book.

No bank likes a crowd in their banking halls. It's part of a branch's score for having a crowd in it's banking hall. Each bank branch is rated for the number of customers in the queue. So the less, the better.

The reason for the ATM issue is that demand for withdraws were more than than the ATM could cope with. Then the Federal government paid on the 22nd and 23rd. Then all those government workers were trying to withdraw to buy Christmas things.

And some goats were saying that banks don't have enough money. Yes. They don't have enough PHYSICAL money to put in the ATM to meet demand. CBN hasn't printed new bank notes this year. And all the mutilated money has been moved out of circulation. So there is less physical cash in circulation. Doesn't mean banks don't have money.

1. Crap Journalism and a senseless one at that.
Since early last week, some bank networks began to misbehave while some ATMs started to dry-up.
what bank network? does any bank own any network? are they interswitch or NIBS?
At Oba Akran in Ikeja, Oshodi and Marina in the Lagos metropolis, there were long queues of bank customers lamenting that they had visited several ATMs since day break but could not withdraw their hard earned money.

Similarly, in Agege, Egbeda and Iyana Ipaja, depositors were seen fighting, with security men attached to the banks finding it difficult to curtail the huge crowd.

Some depositors could not withstand the stress and later left, while those that had no alternative waited for hours to get their turn and eventually access to their funds.

What is rocket science about the fact that Nigerians always do last minute cash withdrawals during festive periods and especially the ones that have extended weekend. How can you report such a perspective without acknowledging the fact that Nigerians are still cash oriented

I went to ATMS in Gbagada, Ikosi-ketu on December 25th any did not see any crowd, yet the ATM paid.

A staff of one of the banks, who would not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak to the press said, “the measure may have resulted from the united year end calendar for the banks that want to retain as much deposit as possible to close the month and the year on a positive note.

regular lame sources. On what basis should we believe/trust a faceless fellow?
Secondly how is customers' cash going to be declared as performance asset to the banks? The last time I checked, those are the things the FRC straightened up in the new reporting regulations, hence beefing your balances amounts to little, in fact it turns logic the other way round. Banks will rather trade out monies in businesses and projects and account for the current income of such rather than customers money that they can only charge on if only there is a transaction

5. The reporter has forgotten that it is even desirable for the bank to dispense to customers either OTC or via ATM, because there in lies income for the bank

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 26, 2016
EternalTruths:

Hmmmmm, na wa ooo......!!! So, na Buhari forces the bankers to misbehave. Why not stop this gospel of hatred against our amiable president.

If you are there as this Nation president YOU WILL DO THE WORST.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Einl(m): 10:25am On Dec 26, 2016
insecticide:

You de mind them?? They just open their mouth de talk rubbish.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Einl(m): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2016
mapet:

1. Crap Journalism and a senseless one at that.
2. what bank network? does any bank own any network? are they interswitch or NIBS?

What is rocket science about the fact that Nigerians always do last minute cash withdrawals during festive periods and especially the ones that have extended weekend. How can you report such a perspective without acknowledging the fact that Nigerians are still cash oriented

I went to ATMS in Gbagada, Ikosi-ketu on December 25th any did not see any crowd, yet the ATM paid.

regular lame sources. On what basis should we believe/trust a faceless fellow?
Secondly how is customers' cash going to be declared as performance asset to the banks? The last time I checked, those are the things the FRC straightened up in the new reporting regulations, hence beefing your balances amounts to little, in fact it turns logic the other way round. Banks will rather trade out monies in businesses and projects and account for the current income of such rather than customers money that they can only charge on if only there is a transaction

5. The reporter has forgotten that it is even desirable for the bank to dispense to customers either OTC or via ATM, because there in lies income for the bank

Nigerians like last minute transactions, lies and Ponzi schemes. No mind them.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Einl(m): 10:29am On Dec 26, 2016
francisbarrack:

I don't think u r in Nigeria.... All our banks r fraud.

Why do you say so?? Don't give me some copy and paste answers. Why are Nigerians banks a fraud? Educate me.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by femarse: 10:31am On Dec 26, 2016
if any of the people complaining here are allow to run a bank for a week the banking industry will collapse finally as a matter of fact
real bank staff has told you the situation of things and u still open your dirty mouth to support a stupid faceless and nameless journalist my branch ATM was loaded twice on Friday and twice on Saturday
I mean loaded to the maximum brim and after every three house the machine has cash out I wonder what is making people to withdraw this mad
Na we u want kill abi because of your need of cash we will not have our own life again abi? we should sit in the office and keep loading the machine every time the machine cash out abi from Saturday through Sunday through today public holiday abi? because we don't have personal life of our own ? how are we paid that is worth us not having a day for ourselves to sit down with family and watch TV
everyday it's ATM wahala we load load load and leg will be paining one seriously cos the machine will not pass test dispense on time
and u all sit down in your house complaining
go and work in the bank and see the wahala that thing call ATM can give u

2 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Einl(m): 10:32am On Dec 26, 2016
eph12:

When should government have paid salaries? After Christmas? That nobody could have anticipated this in the banking industry is a minus on their part.

Demand was greater than physical cash available.
When your girlfriend breaks up with you...why didn't you anticipate it? That's s minus on your part.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by kherlly(m): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2016
SPDAZZY:

Over The Counter
Thanks
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by CaptPlanet(m): 10:36am On Dec 26, 2016
justi4jesu:
Merry Christmas......

Sell your PAYONEER FUNDS/BITCOIN to us.... wink

Do u buy Perfect Money too?
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by insecticide: 10:44am On Dec 26, 2016
eph12:

Maybe at that instant they were not with their withdrawal booklet. And some people like me don't even collect the booklet because I believe my atm should be enough for me.
If you don't have a booklet then you'll be charged for a slip OTC, which is #50 at the bank i work.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by NSEfresher(m): 10:45am On Dec 26, 2016
EternalTruths:

Asif Buhari is solely responsible for the banks.. We should think well b4 posting ill of d government.

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by insecticide: 10:46am On Dec 26, 2016
SPDAZZY:

Ecobank charges 200 naira if you don't have your withdrawal slip and they give you their slip
That's too much... A slip is #50 where i work while a booklet is #315,
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by eph12(m): 10:50am On Dec 26, 2016
Einl:

Demand was greater than physical cash available.
When your girlfriend breaks up with you...why didn't you anticipate it? That's s minus on your part.
Girlfriend break up with me? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But seriously you guys never knew people were going to celebrate Christmas and New year? In a country like Nigeria that spend a lot during festive periods? Interesting

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by eph12(m): 10:52am On Dec 26, 2016
insecticide:

If you don't have a booklet then you'll be charged for a slip OTC, which is #50 at the bank i work.
Which bank?
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Wizteaser: 11:02am On Dec 26, 2016
Rich4god:
Are these journalist reporting the right thing or just hear say.... here in the north, I did not see it noticed any bank charging 200naira for OTC withdrawal. I matter the AMT u r withdrawing.
we are talking about regions and you are mentioning desert, God forsaken region.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by justi4jesu(f): 11:08am On Dec 26, 2016
CaptPlanet:

Do u buy Perfect Money too?

Yes I buy all e-currencies. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by beadaholic(f): 11:45am On Dec 26, 2016
three:
One ECOBANK branch discharges a maximum of N5000 per time for non-ECOBANK Cards/Customers

It's the Eco bank at Iyana ipaja roundabout. Banks are the greatest ponzi scheme ever
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Originalsly: 12:01pm On Dec 26, 2016
Einl:
This is poor journalism. I work in a bank. No bank charges for over the counter withdraw with your cheque book.

No bank likes a crowd in their banking halls. It's part of a branch's score for having a crowd in it's banking hall. Each bank branch is rated for the number of customers in the queue. So the less, the better.

The reason for the ATM issue is that demand for withdraws were more than than the ATM could cope with. Then the Federal government paid on the 22nd and 23rd. Then all those government workers were trying to withdraw to buy Christmas things.

And some goats were saying that banks don't have enough money. Yes. They don't have enough PHYSICAL money to put in the ATM to meet demand. CBN hasn't printed new bank notes this year. And all the mutilated money has been moved out of circulation. So there is less physical cash in circulation. Doesn't mean banks don't have money.
Banks don't have enough physical money to put in the ATMs?.... but have enough for people to make huge OTC withdrawals?... and yes..m withdrawals would be heaviest at Christmas.... every year... don't banks know this?...so why didn't they plan for this by having the machines stocked more often? You have just given a bunch of lame excuses .... showing lack of foresight and inability to solve problems and progress.
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by CaptPlanet(m): 12:17pm On Dec 26, 2016
justi4jesu:

Yes I buy all e-currencies. cheesy

Ok cool. What are your rates for PM?
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by femarse: 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2016
Originalsly:
Banks don't have enough physical money to put in the ATMs?.... but have enough for people to make huge OTC withdrawals?... and yes..m withdrawals would be heaviest at Christmas.... every year... don't banks know this?...so why didn't they plan for this by having the machines stocked more often? You have just given a bunch of lame excuses .... showing lack of foresight and inability to solve problems and progress.

are you blind ? don't you see my post ? I said we loaded the machine fully twice on Friday and twice on Saturday and yet before 4:00pm the money is gone these are five ATM machine having 8m each loaded twice equals to 160m vanish within 2 days
the problem is not cash shortage as all the money u are withdrawing and been brought back to the bank by sellers for deposit but the time frame
if I am your bro or fam I am pretty sure u won't want me to be in the office on Sunday loading one stupid ATM
and I was at shoprite yesterday saw a lot of people buying things and paying with cash I was mad at them I guess u can be one of those people cos those cash was withdrawn from the ATM and shoprite POS was working
a normal educated man shouldnt have more than 5k physical cash again to buy petty things almost all the tangible things nowadays can be bought with POS even rice

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by truthspeaks: 12:22pm On Dec 26, 2016
And some persons r hating on MMM for suspending their program, but no1 wld say anythn about banks freezing withdrawals. Hypocrites evrywhr like seun, pretydiva n d rest of d anti-mmm club
koikoi2:

For instance Skye Bank. The one that annoys me most is that every 27th to 31st of the month when salaries are paid, suddenly Skye Bank will develop network problem or their generator will become faulty. You will spend the whole day inside the bank just to withdraw small money. After salary week the network will miraculously come back and their generator will start working.

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by justi4jesu(f): 12:44pm On Dec 26, 2016
CaptPlanet:

Ok cool. What are your rates for PM?

If you have bitcoin,payoneer,perfect money,paypal for sale, then contact me on my signature and i also sell those aforementioned. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anxiety As Withdrawal, Deposit Charges Begin / A Bank Is Frustrating Our Efforts To Recover Our Late Dad's Money. Help!!! / US Dollar Supply Surges By 51% In Forex Market As Naira Records Gain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.