Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,066 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust (26622 Views)

Nigerians To Pay Stamp Duty On ATM Printouts, Some Whatsapp Messages - FIRS / How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands / Man Sleeping On ATM At Immigration Office Ikoyi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by dre11(m): 8:29am On Dec 26, 2016
Banks have made huge income by charging customers N200 for every withdrawal over the counter owing to the failure of some Automated Teller Machines (ATM) to function properly in the country.

Some customers who besieged their banks to make last minute withdrawals were disappointed as they were unable to access funds from the ATMs forcing many to join the long queues in the banks to withdraw using their cheque books or tellers.

Banks charged N200 for each withdrawal over-the -counter by customers, a charge initially put in place to discourage customers from going into the banking hall for small ticket transactions.

Since early last week, some bank networks began to misbehave while some ATMs started to dry-up. Some customers were seen around the bank premises, raising their voices in dismay at the security officials and the failure of the banks to fund the machines.

When Daily Trust visited some banks in Lagos, Ogun and Rivers states, our reporters observed long queues in most of the Deposit Money Banks’ (DMBs) ATM points.

At Oba Akran in Ikeja, Oshodi and Marina in the Lagos metropolis, there were long queues of bank customers lamenting that they had visited several ATMs since day break but could not withdraw their hard earned money.

Similarly, in Agege, Egbeda and Iyana Ipaja, depositors were seen fighting, with security men attached to the banks finding it difficult to curtail the huge crowd.

Some depositors could not withstand the stress and later left, while those that had no alternative waited for hours to get their turn and eventually access to their funds.

A staff of one of the banks, who would not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak to the press said, “the measure may have resulted from the united year end calendar for the banks that want to retain as much deposit as possible to close the month and the year on a positive note.

The banks visited our reporter included First Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB), Ecobank, Zenith Bank, Skye Bank, Fidelity, Diamond and Access.

Some officials of the banks who spoke to Daily Trust, however, debunked allegations of cash crunch in the system and also denied that there was deliberate plan to extort bank customers, claiming that they were servicing the machines to work optimally during the long holiday.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/yuletide-how-banks-cashed-in-on-atm-malfunction/177717.html

lalasticlala
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Nutase: 8:32am On Dec 26, 2016
Abeg which bank charges 200 naira for OTC withdrawal?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by EternalTruths: 8:34am On Dec 26, 2016
Buhari's government is a curse . angry

Never witnessed this during Jonathan's era angry

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Deapexboy(m): 8:37am On Dec 26, 2016
Nigeria is a wonderful country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by ajbf: 8:51am On Dec 26, 2016
They are inviting civic disorder in Nigeria.
Just imagine how new year eve will be.

18 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by adonbilivit: 8:51am On Dec 26, 2016
this was why most Nigerians banked with MMM

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by koikoi2(m): 8:51am On Dec 26, 2016
Nutase:

For instance Skye Bank. The one that annoys me most is that every 27th to 31st of the month when salaries are paid, suddenly Skye Bank will develop network problem or their generator will become faulty. You will spend the whole day inside the bank just to withdraw small money. After salary week the network will miraculously come back and their generator will start working.

48 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by SPDAZZY(f): 8:51am On Dec 26, 2016
Ecobank does this nonsense all the time. You either use your personal withdrawal slip, which cost me 300 naira last year ( I don't know what it costs now), or you are charged 200 for OTC if they give you their slip

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by realGURU(m): 8:52am On Dec 26, 2016
mhm

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by justi4jesu(f): 8:52am On Dec 26, 2016
Merry Christmas......

Sell your PAYONEER FUNDS/BITCOIN/PAYPAL/PERFECT MONEY/SKRILL ETC to us.... wink

3 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Goldenheart(m): 8:52am On Dec 26, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by ajbf: 8:52am On Dec 26, 2016
Nutase:
First Bank, Union Bank among other Banks

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by stevenson007: 8:53am On Dec 26, 2016
As if i knew, i hoarded cash at home to utilize this festive season... so right each time i hear about banks and atms ishh am like

5 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by dgr8truth(m): 8:53am On Dec 26, 2016
God what is it that we as Nigerians have done that you punish us so badly? Why are we so exploitative and wicked?

I give up on this country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by AntiWailer: 8:53am On Dec 26, 2016
These journalists self.

Writing thrash is not a virtue.

7 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by moyinoluwabun(m): 8:54am On Dec 26, 2016
I think M M M is even more sincere than our banks, only if they (MMM) comes back by January.

11 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by nickxtra(m): 8:54am On Dec 26, 2016
The banking system is a fraud. I go with MMM style of banking cool

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by fmlala: 8:54am On Dec 26, 2016
Ok
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Spainze007(m): 8:54am On Dec 26, 2016
cool
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by martineverest(m): 8:54am On Dec 26, 2016
this act is highly unfair and unethical by nigeria banks....the mosta awkward part is that they allow u to deposit and refuse withdrawal

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by MrCEO69(m): 8:55am On Dec 26, 2016
Changi is here!

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by dangotesmummy: 8:55am On Dec 26, 2016
Exploiting people on Xmas day?

200x like 180 customers. Chaiii. Smh
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 26, 2016
That's y mavrondias trust MMM to nigerian banks

Na God go judge firstbank, that charge me 610 for dec alart charge

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by greenermodels: 8:56am On Dec 26, 2016
i think Nigeria is suffering a systematic failure be it the economy, security, food production, education etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Rich4god(m): 8:56am On Dec 26, 2016
Are these journalist reporting the right thing or just hear say.... here in the north, I did not see it noticed any bank charging 200naira for OTC withdrawal. I matter the AMT u r withdrawing.

1 Like

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by danemenike: 8:57am On Dec 26, 2016
ccf
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by adedayourt(m): 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
EternalTruths:
Buhari's government is a curse . angry

Never witnessed this during Jonathan's era angry

Not a curse so to say

Natural disaster is to asain countries as buharis govt is to Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by ibnjarir93(m): 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
justi4jesu:
Merry Christmas......

Sell your PAYONEER FUNDS/BITCOIN to us.... wink
what rate do you buy BTC?
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by Einl(m): 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
This is poor journalism. I work in a bank. No bank charges for over the counter withdraw with your cheque book.

No bank likes a crowd in their banking halls. It's part of a branch's score for having a crowd in it's banking hall. Each bank branch is rated for the number of customers in the queue. So the less, the better.

The reason for the ATM issue is that demand for withdraws were more than than the ATM could cope with. Then the Federal government paid on the 22nd and 23rd. Then all those government workers were trying to withdraw to buy Christmas things.

And some goats were saying that banks don't have enough money. Yes. They don't have enough PHYSICAL money to put in the ATM to meet demand. CBN hasn't printed new bank notes this year. And all the mutilated money has been moved out of circulation. So there is less physical cash in circulation. Doesn't mean banks don't have money.

18 Likes

Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by adewumiopeyemi(m): 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
So terrible see quene for bank... in order news.. nairaland 2016 beach party is going to be fun and intresting.... if u intrested send me a pm and message if intresting check my signature for more detail
Re: Yuletide: How Banks Cashed In On ATM Malfunction - Daily Trust by three: 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
One ECOBANK branch discharges a maximum of N5000 per time for non-ECOBANK Cards/Customers

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MMM Federal Republic Of Nigeria / CBN Identifies Fraudulent Loan Offer On Social Media / Cubana Hotel Promises 50 Jobs For South African Returnees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.