Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (58479 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 10:36am On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

I'm glad I understand the two languages very well.
Igbo is a tonal language. "Ígbó" as in forest in Yoruba, has same/similar sound as in, "ígbo" for the word Marijuana. (can you see the rising stress on, "I".
It would go a lil something like this, EEGBOO.
While 'Igbo' As in the people, would sound a lil something like this. "EGBO".

If only we do not anglicise the letters for spelling our local languages, we would have gotten grasp of these differences.
Igbo as in the people has no rendition in yoruba. It is either Ibo or Yibbo. The sound is simply not available in Yoruba phonology or orthography.
Igbo is one word meaning bush ,thicket, forest jungle and so on. Marjiuana is not an indigenous plant in Africa like cassava and cocoa.There was no word for it.The use of Igbo here is just an extension. "Igbo people" would mean bush people and that is why Ibo people is used instead. In a similar way Germans call themselves Deutsch, French Francaise ,Spanish Espanol and so on. A so called Chinese would not use that word to describe himself in fact most probably do not know that word
When Jesus was alive the word "Jesus" did not exist. That's an English version that appeared after the story reached the English. So nothing new in people making sense of new words or ideas in their own terms with their own constructs
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Cire80: 10:42am On Mar 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Origin of Agbor
The History of Agbor Kingdom like those of other African ancient kingdoms, empires and peoples is based on oral tradition. Various oral accounts on the origin of Agbor and Ika people exist but the most credible being that “Ogunagbon” and his followers who founded Agbor came from Benin and first settled in “Ominije” presently located in today’s Agbor-Nta. Following what can best be described as personal crisis between two princes in Benin and subsequent settlement of this dispute as agreed to by the chiefs and elders of Benin determined by casting of lot, one of the princes settled in what became known as “Agbon”. Agbon like other Anioma towns and communities was later anglicized by the Bjritish who found it difficult to pronounce as “Agbor” the present name of the town. For certain reasons, I have decided to ignore all other events that transpired leading to the foundation of the town called Agbor in acknowledgement of the fact that what concerns us here is the progenitor of the kingdom and his origin. Agbon (Agbor) in Benin means “Earth or “Land”.

http://www..com/talk/topic,52285.0.html
How does this give credence to your assertion that Benin people gave us the name?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 12:12pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:
Igbo as in the people has no rendition in yoruba. It is either Ibo or Yibbo. The sound is simply not available in Yoruba phonology or orthography.
Igbo is one word meaning bush ,thicket, forest jungle and so on. Marjiuana is not an indigenous plant in Africa like cassava and cocoa.There was no word for it.The use of Igbo here is just an extension. "Igbo people" would mean bush people and that is why Ibo people is used instead. In a similar way Germans call themselves Deutsch, French Francaise ,Spanish Espanol and so on. A so called Chinese would not use that word to describe himself in fact most probably do not know that word
When Jesus was alive the word "Jesus" did not exist. That's an English version that appeared after the story reached the English. So nothing new in people making sense of new words or ideas in their own terms with their own constructs
Read my post again, you will comprehend it better.
The person I quoted insinuated that "Igbo" in Yoruba as in forest is pronounced same way as "Igbo" as in Igbo people.
So, I tried to correct the impression that its not pronounced the same. I tried to use the word "Igbo" as in 'Marijuana' pronounced the same across different ethnicities in Nigeria. I didn't imply that I knew the origin of the word, 'Igbo' for Marijuana. Although, the fact that the plant is not indigenous to Nigeria doesnt mean that it might have a local name by the way.
Your theory of "Bush people" doesnt hold water.
Its just like saying that "iya" as in suffering was coined from "iya" as in mother
Or 'Ojo' as in Rain and 'Ojo' as in day(all in the Yoruba language) does it make sense at all?
When you spell the two words using our local alphabets, you will find out that those two words are not pronounced same and given the fact that Igbo and Yoruba are tonal languages, the differences even becomes more glaring.
I hope I made my points clearer to you?

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 12:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

Read my post again, you will comprehend it better.
The person I quoted insinuated that "Igbo" in Yoruba as in forest is pronounced same way as "Igbo" as in Igbo people.
So, I tried to correct the impression that its not pronounced the same. I tried to use the word "Igbo" as in 'Marijuana' pronounced the same across different ethnicities in Nigeria. I didn't imply that I knew the origin of the word, 'Igbo' for Marijuana. Although, the fact that the plant is not indigenous to Nigeria doesnt mean that it might have a local name by the way.
Your theory of "Bush people" doesnt hold water.
Its just like saying that "iya" as in suffering was coined from "iya" as in mother
Or 'Ojo' as in Rain and 'Ojo' as in day(all in the Yoruba language) does it make sense at all?
When you spell the two words using our local alphabets, you will find out that those two words are not pronounced same and given the fact that Igbo and Yoruba are tonal languages, the differences even becomes more glaring.
I hope I made my points clearer to you?
Now you are beginning to talk rubbish. The pronunciation for IGBO is one. Iya and Iya have a completely different spelling if you know anything about the Yoruba alphabet and orthography. The same is equally true for your OJO example . They are different words with DIFFERENT SPELLINGS. This is not the case with IGBO.
Stop mixing things. Go and learn the Yoruba a alphabet before writing rubbish .
OJo might look the same to you but an accent implies a completely different alphabet
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:
Also, you are not correct actually when you say the sound, "GB" is not available in the Yoruba language.
What of 'Egba', GBa (hit or kick), GBadun (enjoy), GBolohun (vowels), 'GBe' (Carry), etc.

Example of alphabets/sounds not available in yoruba language but available in the igbo language are "ñ" as in Nneka and NneNna (that's why you pronounce, 'Ineka' and inena respectively) or you say "omo ina" because you simply cannot pronounced Nna.
A cousin of mine complained bitterly how Yoruba people pronounce his name as "Ayele" instead of "Anyaele".

Another example is, "Tsch" as in 'Church' or 'Charity', Chinedu or Chichi. Native Yorubas would pronounce, "shorsh", "Sharity", Shinedu and Shishi respectively.

Every consonant and vowel available in the word 'Igbo' as in the people are also available in Yoruba. Although I can't really wrap my head around why most call it, " Yiiboo". Only very well travelled and educated ones can even attempt to pronounce, "ebo".

May be that's why people say Igbo is difficult to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 12:40pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:

Now you are beginning to talk rubbish. The pronunciation for IGBO is one. Iya and Iya have a completely different spelling if you know anything about the Yoruba alphabet and orthography. The same is equally true for your OJO example . They are different words with DIFFERENT SPELLINGS. This is not the case with IGBO.
Stop mixing things. Go and learn the Yoruba a alphabet before writing rubbish .
OJo might look the same to you but an accent implies a completely different alphabet
Would you teach me how to pronounce the name of my own tribe? Chinekeme!!
We the Igbos pronounce, 'Igbo' differently from the way the Yorubas pronounce "Igbo in reference to forest".
IT IS NOT THE SAME SPELLING
The Yoruba word for "IGBO" as in forest have an extended rising stress on the I and O
While the Igbo people's word for their own people "IGBO" is just sharp and short.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 12:46pm On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

Also, you are not correct actually when you say the sound, "GB" is not available in the Yoruba language.
What of 'Egba', GBa (hit or kick), GBadun (enjoy), GBolohun (vowels), 'GBe' (Carry), etc.

Example of alphabets/sounds not available in yoruba but available in igbo are "ñ" as in Nneka and NneNna (that's why you pronounce, 'Ineka' and inena respectively) or you say "omo ina" you simply cannot pronounced Nna.
A cousin of mine complained bitterly how you pronounce his name as "Ayele" instead of "Anyaele".

Another example is, "Tsch" as in 'Church' or 'Charity', Chinedu or Chichi. Native Yorubas would pronounce, "shorsh", "Sharity", Shinedu and Shishi respectively.

Every consonant and vowel available in the word 'Igbo' as in the people is also available in Yoruba. Although I can't really wrap my head around why most call it, " Yiiboo". Only very well travelled and educated ones can even attempt to pronounce, "ebo".

How could I say the sound is not available? Are you literate at all? Every one calls Yoruba Ng.bati so I could not have said that. Your problem is comprehension. I was referring to the specific way that Igbo people use the sound gb in the word Igbo when talking about Igbo people. That sound is very different from the Yoruba alphabet gb even though they look the same they are DIFFERENT ALPHABETS IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. Go back read and COMPREHEND
You will wrap your head around it once you grasp that that sound is unavailable to most native Yoruba speakers.
They re are different sounds in different languages
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 1:08pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:

How could I say the sound is not available? Are you literate at all? Every one calls Yoruba Ng.bati so I could not have said that. Your problem is comprehension. I was referring to the specific way that Igbo people use the sound gb in the word Igbo when talking about Igbo people. That sound is very different from the Yoruba alphabet gb even though they look the same they are DIFFERENT ALPHABETS IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. Go back read and COMPREHEND
You will wrap your head around it once you grasp that that sound is unavailable to most native Yoruba speakers.
They re are different sounds in different languages
I think "your brain is paining you".
Who typed the gibberish below? Me?
Oya, look for a familiar territory to debate on. This is simply not your thing.
I speak Igbo and Yoruba very well. I would rather choose someone who has a better understanding of the two languages to debate with.
For now, let's focus on the topic at hand and leave Yoruba out of it.
For the records, "GB", as in eGBa and eGBon is pronounced EXACTLY the same way as GB in the way Igbo people pronounce, " iGBo in reference to their people. Get that into your skull. Don't argue about a language you know nothing about.

aribisala0:

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 1:12pm On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

Who tryped the gibberish below? Me?
Oya, go and look for a familiar territory to debate on. This is simply not your thing.
I speak Igbo and Yoruba very well. I would rather choose someone who has a better understanding of the two languages to debate with.
For the records, "GB", as in eGBa and eGBon is pronounced EXACTLY the same way as GB as in the way Igbo people pronounce, " iGBo in reference to their people. Get that into your skull. Don't argue about a language you know nothing about.

Igbo as in the people
Find a literate person to translate that to you because you look quite foolish now
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

Who tryped the gibberish below? Me?
Oya, go and look for a familiar territory to debate on. This is simply not your thing.
For the records, "GB", as in eGBa and eGBon is pronounced EXACTLY the same way as GB as in the way Igbo people pronounce, " iGBo in reference to their people. Get that into your skull. Don't argue about a language you know nothing about.

quite simply IgBo when used to refer to igbo people has a different sound in the two languages. There is only one Igbo in Yoruba and it means bush or forest etc and sounds very different from the Way Igbo people say it when talking about themselves
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:
Igbo as in the people
Find a literate person to translate that to you because you look quite foolish now
Now that you have nothing tangible to contribute, you should gladly look for somewhere to self-service off your frustrations. As far as this debate is concerned, your contributions are as useless as a pile of horse crap. You don't speak nor understand igbo language so stop the display of ignorance. I'm sure you can't even differentiate between Igbo and Ijaw language when spoken.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 1:28pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:
quite simply IgBo when used to refer to igbo people has a different sound in the two languages. There is only one Igbo in Yoruba and it means bush or forest etc and sounds very different from the Way Igbo people say it when talking about themselves
Then what have I been saying since morning with examples?
The difference in the word is not the "GB" but the stress on the "I" and "O".
And what was the origin of the debate. I don't like using harsh words on people but you forced me to.
The origin of the debate was that someone posited that, Igbo means forest and used it to relate to the Igbo people and I debunked that its not pronounced or even spelt the same way if we use the correct stresses on the word using our local alphabets. Then you crashed into the peaceful debate with a Speedy 5000t bulldozer without a proper understanding of the origin of the debate

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by aribisala0(m): 1:30pm On Mar 18, 2017
Eke40seven:

Then what have I been saying since morning with examples? And what was the origin of the debate. I don't like using harsh words on people but you forced me to.
The origin of the debate was that someone posited that, Igbo means forest and used it to relate to the Igbo people and I debunked that its not pronounced or even spelt the same way if we use the corrects stresses on the word using our local alphabets. Then you crashed into the peaceful debate with a Speedy 5000t bulldozer without a proper understanding of the origin of the debate
you are illiterate
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2017
aribisala0:
you are illiterate
An illiterate who schooled an ignorant professor. I'm quite happy with the tag actually. Can we move forward now and concentrate on the topic?

4 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by chijiblaze(m): 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2017
Eke40seven:

Example of alphabets/sounds not available in yoruba language but available in the igbo language are "ñ" as in Nneka and NneNna (that's why you pronounce, 'Ineka' and inena respectively) or you say "omo ina" because you simply cannot pronounced Nna.
A cousin of mine complained bitterly how Yoruba people pronounce his name as "Ayele" instead of "Anyaele".

Every consonant and vowel available in the word 'Igbo' as in the people are also available in Yoruba. Although I can't really wrap my head around why most call it, " Yiiboo". Only very well travelled and educated ones can even attempt to pronounce, "ebo".

The Yoruba "GB" sound is thicker and longer than the Igbo version. Just like the "KP" sound. Think of the Yoruba Pele (sorry) against Akpu (food).
So the problem has less to do with the accent marks, i.e. rising or falling tones on the vowels in "Igbo" but the length and weight of the "gb" sound. It should be pronounced lightly that's why it erroneously seems to some people like a mere "b" hence Ibo.
The correct thing is Ìgbò.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 3:50am On Mar 20, 2017
Someone posted this on a different thread and i'm reposting it here because I thought he raised a salient question, in bold.

B2mario:

But this Ika is almost the same as Owerri dialect . 'puha' and 'ri' are common verbs used in Owerri which mean the same thing in the two languages .

They also have a clan called Mbiri, same in Owerri [mbiri]. The emuhu in Ika is it not the same thing as Umuhu scattered allover communities in SE.

people should source for their ancestry based on ancient community names not on imaginary folklores.

Mbiri is found in Ika and Owerri
Owerri is also found in ika
Igbodo is found in Ika and Etche
Obibi is found in Etche, Ngor okpala, and Orlu
Emuhu same as Umuhu is found in Ibeku Ndume, Oboro, Orlu and Ngwa.
there is Owa in Ika and Orlu(Umu Owa)
Aboh is found in Ndokwa, Mbaise, Orlu etc
Onicha communities scattered allover Igboland starting from Ika to Ebonyi, from Etche to Nsukka.

So let's try and make our ancestral history to be more logical by connecting ancient communities with same name not these imaginary forktales of how a bini prince or warrior with Igbo name left bini and found a community with Igbo name similar to other Igbo community names not a bini name. Meaning that before the imaginary prince or warrior settled in those igbo communities there must had been Igbos who were living in these lands who must have come from Owerri, Isu, Ibeku, Nri, Etche, Ishiagu, Asaba, Ogwashi, Igbo-uzo etc and due to expansion of Benin kingdom have little bini influence in their cultures.

How can people who we claim to have migrated from bini and reside in a place close to bini, traded with bini, intermarried with them since time immemorial dropped bini language and culture and take a language similar to Owerri language in faraway eastern heartland?
Hmmmm, we need check our brains thoroughly.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 5:07am On Mar 20, 2017
chijiblaze:

The Yoruba "GB" sound is thicker and longer than the Igbo version. Just like the "KP" sound. Think of the Yoruba Pele (sorry) against Akpu (food).
So the problem has less to do with the accent marks, i.e. rising or falling tones on the vowels in "Igbo" but the length and weight of the "gb" sound. It should be pronounced lightly that's why it erroneously seems to some people like a mere "b" hence Ibo.
The correct thing is Ìgbò.
Do you speak Yoruba very well?
First of all, your "akpu", "Pele" example is anything but apt.
1. I can't see, KP in "Pele" or is the "k" spiritual?
Can you tell the difference between the GB in "GBe", "GBolohun", "GBoGBo", at least using the 'Lagos' accent and Igbo words like "Igbo" and "GBa"? The sound of the GB can be modified by the vowel preceding it or in front of it, irrespective of the language i.e, Igbo or Yoruba.
If you spot a difference then i spot someone who doesn't speak nor understand the two languages at all at all.
P.S. I am Igbo born and brought up in Lagos. And i learnt Yoruba in class from primary 1 to SS3 and even wrote Yoruba in WAEC! Although i wont say i did perfectly well because of lack of interest in Yoruba academically but i also learnt in the street and home just like most people.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 7:27am On Mar 20, 2017
I don't speak nor understand Yoruba but from my observation, the 'gb' sound in most Yoruba words are 'heavier' than the 'gb' in most Igbo words. Igbo words like 'ugba', 'agba' etc when pronounced by a Yoruba are often heavier compared to the softer pronunciations in Igbo.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 8:22am On Mar 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:
I don't speak nor understand Yoruba but from my observation, the 'gb' sound in most Yoruba words are 'heavier' than the 'gb' in most Igbo words. Igbo words like 'ugba', 'agba' etc when pronounced by a Yoruba are often heavier compared to the softer pronunciations in Igbo.
It's not, you need very similar words to judge.
Ugbá and agbà. Have you noticed the differences in the "a"? "A" in ugbá has a rising vowel while agbà has a descending sound. People who speak/write Yoruba very well will understand what i mean.
Lemme give you a reverse of the case where GB in Igbo sounds heavier than GB in yoruba.

A common name, "Gbèngá" "GB" is a bit soft it ALMOST sounds like, Benga but Igbo words like, "Mgba" (fight). Come back and tell me your observation. You can observe that there is so much stress on the "GB" which sounds "harsh" you almost physically need to jam your lips so tightly then open compared to Gbenga.
You can ask a Yoruba speaker to pronounce the name for you then compare and give me feedback.
The sound "GB" always precedes a vowel and the vowel, whether "à", "á", "é", "è", (the two "e"s with dot under), ò, ó, (also "o"s with dots under), ú and ù.
These vowels can modify slightly the sound of the "GB" to be either soft or harsh. Also many a times the consonant or vowel before the "GB" could also modify the sound to make it either soft or harsh too.
MAY BE the occurrence of this case is more in yoruba than in Igbo but it's not a exclusive rule, not by a long shot.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by 9jakool: 9:38am On Mar 20, 2017
Eke40seven:

I don't want to derail this discussion, but I need to make a few corrections.
"ch" actually exists in many Yoruba dialects, just not in the standard written Yoruba's orthography. I have said it multiple times that standard Yoruba is based on the simplest Yoruba orthography. If you go to Oke Ogun(Onko), Yewa(Egbado) or Ibarapa area, the "ch" and the "ñ" sound exist. "Ishe" in standard yoruba becomes "ñche" in Onko. Even gh, kw, kh, gw exists in a number of Yoruba dialects from Ondo to Kabba to Owo. Money or "owo" in Yoruba becomes "ogho" and ten; "ewa" in Yoruba becomes "egwa" in Owo dialect. However, I still think Igbo's orthography is much more extensive which could make it more difficult to learn. I think of all the Volta-Niger branch, Edo likely has the most extensive orthography. Standard Yoruba is very restrictive in it's rules. Carry on.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 9:43am On Mar 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:
If Agbor Nta was formerly called Ominije until Binis came and changed the name to Agbon, as it is said, shouldn't the Binis be held responsible for changing Ika names from what they were before? Why are Ika Bini people like Cire80 going around with the false claim that 'Igbos' landed in Ika land in the '15th' century and changed Ika town names? undecided undecided
That's why I don't waste time in reminding him on how big a fraud he is grin
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 9:55am On Mar 20, 2017
Chysler:

My friend is obvious you are just picking straws to hold your leaking arguments... I advice you to sheath ur paper sword and allow fate reconcile itself... After all when the evening comes, the chicken must come to roost... Ika maybe already in their evening, let's c how it pans out!
The guy is trying to fetch water using a basket grin

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 12:13pm On Mar 20, 2017
9jakool:

I don't want to derail this discussion, but I need to make a few corrections.
"ch" actually exists in many Yoruba dialects, just not in the standard written Yoruba's orthography. I have said it multiple times that standard Yoruba is based on the simplest Yoruba orthography. If you go to Oke Ogun(Onko), Yewa(Egbado) or Ibarapa area, the "ch" and the "ñ" sound exist. "Ishe" in standard yoruba becomes "ñche" in Onko. Even gh, kw, kh, gw exists in a number of Yoruba dialects from Ondo to Kabba to Owo. Money or "owo" in Yoruba becomes "ogho" and ten; "ewa" in Yoruba becomes "egwa" in Owo dialect. However, I still think Igbo's orthography is much more extensive which could make it more difficult to learn. I think of all the Volta-Niger branch, Edo likely has the most extensive orthography. Standard Yoruba is very restrictive in it's rules. Carry on.
Thanks for the input. I'm not so familiar with those other dialects and the peculiar phonologies. I was only making reference to urban Lagos Yoruba and may be standard Yoruba.
You know when you come into town speaking ñche and the likes, many people will be amused by the 'wierd' accent. So many people from the hinterlands try as much as possible to sound as "urban" as possible. Except people who simply do not care or people who speak those dialects for its 'comical' effects.
For instance, Funke Akindele in her "Jenifa" series or that comedian who acted as "Atanda" and security in the movie, "Dauda". He mostly uses his real Ijebu dialect. It adds some comic effects to their acting using those dialects.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Cire80: 4:26pm On Mar 20, 2017
cheruv:

That's why I don't waste time in reminding him on how big a fraud he is grin
When would you develop some sense? Even after making it clear that Binis didn't change the name to Agbon. Even Ominijie is a full Bini word/name. You Still quote and comment nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by obuus: 10:46pm On Apr 04, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Someone posted this on a different thread and i'm reposting it here because I thought he raised a salient question, in bold.

the Ika dialect is too similar to Owerri dialect that its obvious thy are both of same origin. i am particualry amazed at their use of ''ri'' in place of ''di'' for the ''be'' verb. And to negate the ''ri'' you introduce ''a'', hence you have such names as Arimotu, Arinze, etc.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by obuus: 11:42pm On Apr 04, 2017
Favor99:

Lol. And what does oyoyo mean?
oyoyo means fresh, just out of the press, brand new. it also suggests well tended thing or person

So a brand new car is an oyoyo, like the pidgin ''tear-rubber'' . You can hear somebody say that we goni moto ofu, oyoyo motor. This motor is not Okirika or used car.

You can use it describe a fresh palmwine. Freshly tapped and not an mbora or overnight stuff

You can also use to describe a young fresh wife, not an agadi or inherited wife. There is a song we sing when accompanying a new wife to her new home in the husband's compound.
Oyoyo a na ibe di eee(iya),
Oyo a na ibe di eee
nwata Miss a na ibe di ee
o me te(sia) i lohe m oooo
eeeeeh
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 3:42am On Apr 05, 2017
obuus:

the Ika dialect is too similar to Owerri dialect that its obvious thy are both of same origin. i am particualry amazed at their use of ''ri'' in place of ''di'' for the ''be'' verb. And to negate the ''ri'' you introduce ''a'', hence you have such names as Arimotu, Arinze, etc.

Ya both dialects are similar. Arinze in full, Arinze Chukwu actually means 'Thank God', arinze Chukwu na I meruro aru (thank God you didn't get injured). Dialectical forms of it are Ashinze, Ahinze etc.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 5:18am On Apr 05, 2017
obuus:

oyoyo means fresh, just out of the press, brand new. it also suggests well tended thing or person

So a brand new car is an oyoyo, like the pidgin ''tear-rubber'' . You can hear somebody say that we goni moto ofu, oyoyo motor. This motor is not Okirika or used car.

You can use it describe a fresh palmwine. Freshly tapped and not an mbora or overnight stuff

You can also use to describe a young fresh wife, not an agadi or inherited wife. There is a song we sing when accompanying a new wife to her new home in the husband's compound.
Oyoyo a na ibe di eee(iya),
Oyo a na ibe di eee
nwata Miss a na ibe di ee
o me te(sia) i lohe m oooo
eeeeeh
Thanks
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by lx3as(m): 6:40am On Apr 05, 2017
aribisala0:

There are lots of 'Igbo!' e.g,
Igbo - group (derived from 'gbogbo' -everyone, everything )

Igbo - Headbutt (same pronunciation with Igbo as people)
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 12:10pm On Apr 05, 2017
obuus:

how does Ri, Wu and other minor things make Ika and Owerri too similar. I just tried to play some Owerri music but I don't understand what they're singing about or saying. I understand Anambra, Enugu and even Nsukka better than I understand Owerri. I noticed similarities in wu, ri and few other things but that's not what you base similarities upon. It should be based upon how much intelligibility exist between both
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 11:47pm On Apr 07, 2017
lx3as:
There are lots of 'Igbo!' e.g,
Igbo - group (derived from 'gbogbo' -everyone, everything )

Igbo - Headbutt (same pronunciation with Igbo as people)

I have quite a few Yoruba friends. I have never heard them use the word 'Igbo' to describe a group before.... most of them say 'agbo', when referring to a group. undecided

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by lx3as(m): 4:11am On Apr 08, 2017
laudate:

I have quite a few Yoruba friends. I have never heard them use the word 'Igbo' to describe a group before.... most of them say 'agbo', when referring to a group. undecided

Both are accepted. 'Igbo' common with central and eastern dialects, just like Yetunde, Imade, for Iyabo, etc. The using of 'agbo' or 'Igbo' also depends on context; agbo can also mean party. Igbo can also mean warriors' group,etc.

'IGbo' is gotten from ' idi gbogbo or idile gbogbo', meaning each family or branch of people, etc coming together. It may be translated to 'Ndi Igbo', though not sure of this!

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Baby Bump: Naomi Ogunwusi Pregnant? / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women / Yoruba Names/Oriki For God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.