Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration (3064 Views)

Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... / Nissan Sunny 2007-2010 P2122 And P2127 No Acceleration. / 2000 Sienna Rattling, Creaking, Clanging and squeaking Sound fix with pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 3:23pm On Dec 27, 2016
Hi guys.. .
I need some serious help from everyone or anyone who's experienced this....
Car in question is a 2002 Toyota avalon , it rattles in the engine bay or exhaust manifold (not sure again) whenever I throttle and I've tried several fixes, still no solution.
By the way, my fuel consumption is over the roof irrespective of driving pattern.
Anyone... .. help o
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by autotrader2: 4:02pm On Dec 27, 2016
BlackJo:
Hi guys.. .
Car in question is a 2002 Toyota avalon , it rattles in the engine bay or exhaust manifold (not sure again) whenever I throttle and I've tried several fixes, still no solution.
By the way, my fuel consumption is over the roof irrespective of driving pattern.
Anyone... .. help o

Are you sure its not your linkage making that noise? I seriously suspect your linkage due to the age of the car
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:34pm On Dec 27, 2016
BlackJo:
Hi guys.. .
Anyone... .. help o

Scan Post codes. Timing might be over advanced. Knock sensors might be defective. Temp might be over 100deg centigrade.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:34pm On Dec 27, 2016
autotrader2:

Are you sure its not your linkage making that noise? I seriously suspect your linkage due to the age of the car

You should stick to trading bro cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by autotrader2: 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Chief Gazzuz,
Car in question is a 2002 Toyota avalon , it rattles in the engine bay or exhaust manifold (not sure again)

Dude can't tell where noise is coming from wink
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 27, 2016
autotrader2:

Chief Gazzuz,
Car in question is a 2002 Toyota avalon , it rattles in the engine bay or exhaust manifold (not sure again)

Dude can't tell where noise is coming from wink

Exhaust manifold is still in the engine bay na

1 Like

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by eagleeye2: 11:54pm On Dec 27, 2016
OP, follow Oga Gazzuz advice and also prepare your mind for an engine change as the worse case scenario.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 28, 2016
Not saying that this is what it is, but if it were my car I would pay attention to the catalytic converter.

When it's damaged and breaks up then it may clang around in there as well as chocking the exhaust port and cause lower than normal MPG.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by cardoctor(m): 1:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
Replace your catalytic converters. Though they may not have broken up or disintegrated, they may be blocked causing restricted flow of exhaust gas. Exhaust feedback to the crank case would result in poor fuel detonation hence the "pinking" sound and high fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by chukel(m): 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
lol @linkage. check your engine mounts. check for any loose part in the engine bay. did you recently change your engine mounts?
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by boldx(m): 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
I go with EgunMogaji and Cardoctor 100%.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 9:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
Thanks guys. .... really grateful for the quick responses.

I just changed all four shocks and linkages, although I knew the linkage wasn't the culprit. but this puts it off suspicion.
I did have the check engine light initially which when scanned brought up knock sensor issues which was fixed for me... so knock sensors off suspicion. ..
now the check engine light is back on and yes....catalyst issues( which I haven't fixed)....

My Mechanic said my thermostat was bad, so he removed it and when I asked he go get another one, he was like. . bros no need. .. original no dey market, make we leave am like that. so he connected by fan to start up on ignition since there was nothing to regulate it again..... hope I wasn't mugued undecided

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 9:17pm On Dec 28, 2016
chukel:
lol @linkage. check your engine mounts. check for any loose part in the engine bay. did you recently change your engine mounts?
No loose part in the engine bay .......that I can see.
and I didn't change my engine mounts recently
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 9:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
eagleeye2:
OP, follow Oga Gazzuz advice and also prepare your mind for an engine change as the worse case scenario.

shocked...I reject this one o......
village people no fit ever see me
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 9:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Bros calm down abeg na cheesy cheesy
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by autotrader2: 9:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
BlackJo:

Bros calm down abeg na cheesy cheesy

Guy, the linkage you bought, can you vouch for it? I bet it was the 5k one. Trust me, you will come for the original OEM one grin
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
BlackJo:
Thanks guys. .... really grateful for the quick responses.

I just changed all four shocks and linkages, although I knew the linkage wasn't the culprit. but this puts it off suspicion.
I did have the check engine light initially which when scanned brought up knock sensor issues which was fixed for me by big bros Chuks in ph. ... so knock sensors off suspicion. ..
now the check engine light is back on and yes....catalyst issues( which I haven't fixed)....

My Mechanic said my thermostat was bad, so he removed it and when I asked he go get another one, he was like. . bros no need. .. original no dey market, make we leave am like that. so he connected by fan to start up on ignition since there was nothing to regulate it again..... hope I wasn't mugued undecided

what a waste of precious Data.

Unfollows thread.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 10:29pm On Dec 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what a waste of precious Data.

Unfollows thread.

why. .. what's the matter.
These were all done before I created this thread,
na run I run come here as he mentioned changing my top gaskets to fix the pinging noise after removing my thermostat didn't work.
I sensed I was in for a trial and error method
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2016
by the way I changed my shocks cause they were bad o

no be pinging noise make me change am
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by Danfuster(m): 11:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
BlackJo:
by the way I changed my shocks cause they were bad o

no be pinging noise make me change am

If you love yourself, better tell that kazeem of a mechanic of yours to install that thermostat he removed. Do you have any idea what that single thing does.

Maybe he's even sold it to one big man who will pay handsomely for it as he be say original no dey market.

You shouldn't leave Kazeems like that to work on your car without supervision. Always collect components they tell you is bad and you ain't sure of. Just collect it take it home.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
BlackJo:

why. .. what's the matter.
These were all done before I created this thread,
na run I run come here as he mentioned changing my top gaskets to fix the pinging noise after removing my thermostat didn't work.
I sensed I was in for a trial and error method

Follows thread back.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by eagleeye2: 12:38am On Dec 29, 2016
BlackJo:

grin
BlackJo:

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 8:14am On Dec 29, 2016
Danfuster:

If you love yourself, better tell that kazeem of a mechanic of yours to install that thermostat he removed. Do you have any idea what that single thing does.

Maybe he's even sold it to one big man who will pay handsomely for it as he be say original no dey market.

You shouldn't leave Kazeems like that to work on your car without supervision. Always collect components they tell you is bad and you ain't sure of. Just collect it take it home.

Thermostat is with me...... I'll check with another guy to see if it's still good so as to be put back. l

Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 8:19am On Dec 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Follows thread back.
This guy self. ....
After they changed my front shocks, my Abs light came up. But my brakes still work fine.... na to clear the code?
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:50am On Dec 29, 2016
BlackJo:

This guy self. ....
After they changed my front shocks, my Abs light came up. But my brakes still work fine.... na to clear the code?

One or more abs wheel speed sensors damaged.

Rescan car, knock sensor might still be bad.
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by Naydie900(m): 8:38pm On Oct 07, 2018
Blackjo please how did you later resolve this issue of rattling, I'm having same problem. SOS cry cry cry
Re: Toyota Avalon Rattling Noise During Acceleration by BlackJo(m): 6:57am On Dec 21, 2018
Naydie900:
Blackjo please how did you later resolve this issue of rattling, I'm having same problem. SOS cry cry cry
Please if you could call again, I need to confirm something from you.

(1) (Reply)

Install GPS Tracker On Your Car And Get Peace Of Mind. / BMW 3 Series Vs Mercedes C Class & 190 / Hamza Elrufai Had Accident During Car Racing Competition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.