Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond (11446 Views)

Top Ten Most Expensive Cars 2017 / Flying Cars 2017: Which Of These Flying Cars Would You Wish To Have? / Senate Uncovers Cargoes Loaded With Cars Abandoned For Decade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by AutoJoshNG: 6:06pm On Dec 27, 2016
Cars of the future are already here without a doubt.We already have completely autonomous cars,semi -autonomous cars and funny enough flying cars(mostly prototypes) .The question on everyones mind is : What could possibly go wrong ? ,what could cause confusions ?.

1.HACKING

There is really no debate about this , there is sure going to be a lot of hacking in cars in the coming year.Most car manufacturers are starting to build self-driving cars which are fully controlled by software.As a programmer I have a rule I keep in mind always "whatever can be built by man can be infiltrated by another man,no system is completely guarded".

2.PROBLEM WITH THE LAW

There is going to be a whole lot of problem with the law.For example when a driverless car violates a traffic rule .Who would be blamed or prosecuted ,the car maker or the car user , or the car ? . I hope provisions are being made to handle such cases.

3.LIMITED QUALIFIED MECHANICS

Cars with such awesome technology are still evolving and getting better,so there are quite a limited number of people with adequate technical know-how to fix such cars .Especially in Nigeria where most of the mechanics lack the full technical know-how and appropriate equipment to diagnose and fix.

4.CONFUSED CARS

Yup !, another problem.What happens in the event of an impending accident.What decision does the car take , does it decide to drive into a wall or a pole .What if there is no wall but a river ,does it decide to take the risk of killing the occupant and saving the life of a crowd of people its about to drive into,or does it decide to save the occupant and kill innocent people.Confusion everywhere

5. EVEN MORE CONFUSION

What happens when a traffic light goes off ?.Latest autonomous and semi-autonomous cars depends on traffic lights using sensors to know when to stop and move at junctions .So imagine a traffic light goes off due to a malfunction ......the disaster...... which could be easily averted when a human is driving .....

Have an idea of what could possibly go wrong with latest cars.Kindly comment.

https://autojosh.com/5-things-that-could-go-wrong-with-2017-cars/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by INTROVERT(f): 6:13pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ok
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by clydedaniels(m): 6:59am On Dec 28, 2016
I dey look sha... undecided
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by capatainrambo: 6:59am On Dec 28, 2016
I will just wait
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Baileyz101(m): 6:59am On Dec 28, 2016
Naija mechs go sabi operate those cars trust me

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Innodon(m): 6:59am On Dec 28, 2016
The person below me has something to say and the guy above me is saying something already
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Dongreat(m): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2016
INTROVERT:
Ok

Nah wah. Is it that the holiday is not over and your work resumes or you have been sacked to resume your FTC status on Nairaland?
Infact I am suspecting you and other monickers here of been alternate to the mods.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Gbemmyxal(f): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2016
We shall see
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by rottennaija(m): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2016
A brave new world out there. That is if trump and putin does not push the world into a nuclear Holocaust
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by johnshagb(m): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2016
I believe this post ain't targeted at Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by tuasefemi(m): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2016
What kind of title is this?
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by naughtysneh: 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
JEZZ, FTC angry THat was a close one grin grin
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by justFEARLESS(m): 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
OK
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
rebuttal
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by lekan008(m): 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
Let's wait till then
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
grin
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Masquerade7: 7:01am On Dec 28, 2016
Never liked the idea of this driverless car.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by realGURU(m): 7:03am On Dec 28, 2016
nice
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:03am On Dec 28, 2016
I'm planning on getting 2008 Corolla. So no problem
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Muzikluva(m): 7:04am On Dec 28, 2016
developed countries with utmost organisation cannot have such problems, its developing countries that can encounter such difficulties. It will take lots of time,efforts,planning and stern measures before such cars can be effectively used in developing countries.
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by ojinuocheibi(m): 7:04am On Dec 28, 2016
INTROVERT
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by alexaletor: 7:05am On Dec 28, 2016
marijuana is very good for the body.!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Vin4favour(m): 7:05am On Dec 28, 2016
Op we are not in 2017 yet>>> how you take know all these things self
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by RELEASEUS: 7:06am On Dec 28, 2016
In developed climes I think provisions will be made to meet the raised issues especially the traffic lights and confusion thing. That means in Africa where our selfish, clueless and myopic leaders have failed to used the vast wealth in Africa especially Nigeria to develop us and the nation but instead steal and lead us into recession, such luxury cars will not thrive here.
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by gerrardomendes(m): 7:07am On Dec 28, 2016
hnm
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 7:09am On Dec 28, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

1.HACKING

There is really no debate about this , there is sure going to be a lot of hacking in cars in the coming year.Most car manufacturers are starting to build self-driving cars which are fully controlled by software.As a programmer I have a rule I keep in mind always "whatever can be built by man can be infiltrated by another man,no system is completely guarded".

A system can be secured to a point where only the close authors have access to the bypass.

So saying there would be a lot of hacks is far fetched, as any possible hack can be corrected almost immediately. Plus, these onboard computers are running locally and not necessarily running off a network, unless when running system updates.

2.PROBLEM WITH THE LAW

There is going to be a whole lot of problem with the law.For example when a driverless car violates a traffic rule .Who would be blamed or prosecuted ,the car maker or the car user , or the car ? . I hope provisions are being made to handle such cases.

Self Driving cars don't run traffic lights, that just can not happen, unless there is a hardware malfunction, in which case the owner should be at fault for not addressing that in a timely manner after being alerted by the system.

3.LIMITED QUALIFIED MECHANICS

Can't argue with this in Nigeria. Can't argue at all sad

4.CONFUSED CARS

Yup !, another problem.What happens in the event of an impending accident.What decision does the car take , does it decide to drive into a wall or a pole .What if there is no wall but a river ,does it decide to take the risk of killing the occupant and saving the life of a crowd of people its about to drive into,or does it decide to save the occupant and kill innocent people.Confusion everywhere

Still safer than cars being driven my humans in my opinion, but I guess we'll have to wait on the statistics to determine this. Just like how people don't like flying even though statistically, it's the safest means of travel

5. EVEN MORE CONFUSION

What happens when a traffic light goes off ?.Latest autonomous and semi-autonomous cars depends on traffic lights using sensors to know when to stop and move at junctions .So imagine a traffic light goes off due to a malfunction ......the disaster...... which could be easily averted when a human is driving .....

A traffic light going off is synonymous with there being no traffic light at all, in which case the car would have to fall back to proximity sensors and cameras as per normal driving.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by HAH: 7:22am On Dec 28, 2016
Misleading topic, beside is not all 2017 and beyond cars that are driverless
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by ItzHoludex(m): 7:25am On Dec 28, 2016
we av heard
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by papyskinsy: 7:35am On Dec 28, 2016
i cant believe my eye wen i saw a benz G-wagon bin repaired by a road side mechanic.. naija mechanicz dey chuk hand fr any ride.. grin ... i wonder wat nxt wil happn t dat benz.. lipsrsealed
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Goldenheart(m): 7:41am On Dec 28, 2016
Goldenheart is typing.....
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by seunfly: 7:43am On Dec 28, 2016
Ok
Re: 5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond by Hashimyussufamao(m): 7:48am On Dec 28, 2016
Unilorin marcopolo is free from All this sharrah 2every bbfs in the House

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Medical Report For Your Tinted Car / 10 Interesting Images In The History Of Automobiles / See The Difference Between Bose Amazing Suspension & A Normal Car Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.