Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (12398 Views)

Presidency Lists 57 Achievements Of Buhari Administration(complete List) / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria And States / Two Groups In Battle For Buhari’s Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bukifemi1: 6:13am On Dec 28, 2016
The complete list of all 371 ethnic groups in Nigeria. Pictorial credit: Heritage Bank.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by DuruCrusher(m): 6:14am On Dec 28, 2016
One country. .? grin grin grin

Peace come quickly oh

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2016
Are these ethnic groups or tribes because i saw Gokana which is a part of Ogoni being listed as an ethnic group.

4 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by seunlayi(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2016
This is nice, if yours is not listed, that means you are On your Own

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ironheart(m): 6:22am On Dec 28, 2016
I cant see ikulu from kaduna state. I served in kd
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Corrinthians(m): 6:30am On Dec 28, 2016
Afam4eva:
Are these ethnic groups or tribes because i saw Gokana which is a part of Ogoni being listed as an ethnic group.
Please could you tell us the difference between an ethnic group and a tribe? I always imagine they mean thesame thing.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:37am On Dec 28, 2016
Corrinthians:
Please could you tell us the difference between an ethnic group and a tribe? I always imagine they mean the same thing.
Tribes are the smaller fractions of ethnic groups. For instance, Igbo is an ethnic group while Ngwa which is an Igbo sub group is a tribe., Ngwa can also be termed an ethnic group while a fraction of it can be called a tribe. That's how i understand it.

5 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Qyubee(m): 6:37am On Dec 28, 2016
bookmarked!
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by donbrowser(m): 6:48am On Dec 28, 2016
And 3 tribes are always fighting over politics. What should these ones do?

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:51am On Dec 28, 2016
God bless the Idoma nation. But I Doubt if there are Idomas in Taraba, but we got Idomas in Enugu and Kogi
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Corrinthians(m): 6:52am On Dec 28, 2016
Afam4eva:

Tribes are the smaller fractions of ethnic groups. For instance, Igbo is an ethnic group while Ngwa which is an Igbo sub group is a tribe., Ngwa can also be termed an ethnic group while a fraction of it can be called a tribe. That's how i understand it.
Hmmm. The bold makes a lot of sense to me. But you lost me when you went further to say a tribe (Ngwa) could as well be an ethnic group. If that is the case, then you are saying there is no difference between an ethnic group and a tribe irrespective of the lingual subunits there could be in the tribe itself.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Fundamentalist: 6:52am On Dec 28, 2016
Good let me see where I fall
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ajbf: 6:53am On Dec 28, 2016
Ijesha !!! So, you are tell me that there is nobody speaking Yoruba in Edo state.

4 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirmuel1(m): 7:11am On Dec 28, 2016
na why confusion dey the country grin
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Joephat(m): 7:15am On Dec 28, 2016
what the fuckkkk
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sujex94(m): 7:19am On Dec 28, 2016
Tribe is a group of socially, politically and ethnically similar people. Ethnicity refers to a group of people that have common racial, religious and cultural origins. Going by this definition in Nigeria, for example- Yoruba is an ethnic group not really a tribe. Tribe best describes Ekiti, Ijesha, Awori, Egba etc

2 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sujex94(m): 7:20am On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=Corrinthians post=52317577]Hmmm. The bold makes a lot of sense to me. But you lost me when you went further to say a tribe (Ngwa) could as well be an ethnic group. If that is the case, then you are saying there is no difference between an ethnic group and a tribe irrespective of the lingual subunits there could be in the tribe itself.

[/quote Tribe is a group of socially, politically and ethnically similar people. Ethnicity refers to a group of people that have common racial, religious and cultural origins. Going by this definition in Nigeria, for example- Yoruba is an ethnic group not really a tribe. Tribe best describes Ekiti, Ijesha, Awori, Egba etc
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by KidsNEXTdoor: 7:22am On Dec 28, 2016
No wonder Nigeria is not working
The diversity is too much
No understanding
Religious and cultural difference

No wonder they fight themselves online all the time ...... This country needs to be divided ASAP

8 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by LoveMachine(m): 7:24am On Dec 28, 2016
Some won't like what I'm about to write but I gotta do it. For all of you who say you only have Igbo names but aren't Igbo notice that you've been lumped in with us as a whole. We are one. Welcome home. grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by KidsNEXTdoor: 7:25am On Dec 28, 2016
Sirmuel1:
na why confusion dey the country grin
Serious confusion
There is no country on earth this diverse
Big black nation but suffering
Dammmn
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Noneroone(m): 7:31am On Dec 28, 2016
Afam4eva:

chai! see confusionist.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ehikwe22: 7:35am On Dec 28, 2016
Corrinthians:
Hmmm. The bold makes a lot of sense to me. But you lost me when you went further to say a tribe (Ngwa) could as well be an ethnic group. If that is the case, then you are saying there is no difference between an ethnic group and a tribe irrespective of the lingual subunits there could be in the tribe itself.

There's no particular rule about how large a tribe gets before it can become an ethnic group.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirmuel1(m): 7:36am On Dec 28, 2016
KidsNEXTdoor:
Serious confusion There is no country on earth this diverse Big black nation but suffering Dammmn

Exactly!
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BeClever: 7:43am On Dec 28, 2016
Some still thinks Nigeria is a country...

Nigeria is a Zoo - NK

5 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by patchsk(f): 7:47am On Dec 28, 2016
Did anyone notice that Cross-River has up to 30 languages?

I tire oooo!

4 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Agimor(m): 7:51am On Dec 28, 2016
Yet it seems like we only have Afonja's and IPOB abi na Igbo throwing tantrums at each other here on nairaland.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BeClever: 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
Agimor:
Yet it seems like we only have Afonja's and IPOB abi na Igbo throwing tantrums at each other here on nairaland.

Because the duo are interested in one thing, but with different approach..

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Moblord(m): 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
very educative
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
That BAUCHI, Plateaus n Adamawa state are something else especially BAUCHI where every village has her own ethnic group.
But Op there is one major ethnic u omit, Zuru from Kebbi state
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BolaAdeyemo: 8:29am On Dec 28, 2016
Ikwerres are not ibos
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Horlufemi(m): 8:37am On Dec 28, 2016
Wow
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Horlufemi(m): 8:37am On Dec 28, 2016
BeClever:

Because the duo are interested in one thing, but with different approach..

Which is?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IMO State Pensioners Protest In Owerri Today - Pictures / We Didn’t Abduct Melaye: DSS / Katsina: Supreme Court Annuls Masari’s Sack Of 34 Elected PDP Chairmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.