Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN (8302 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN (Photos) / Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN / Presidency Moves To Confirm Onnoghen As cjn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by bart10: 9:51am On Dec 28, 2016
This country na just drama everyday grin
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by Lamzzyy(m): 9:54am On Dec 28, 2016
Hahahah lol sue buhari this guy na joker you better go house go meet your family before dss go cum prob you say you follow collect bribe..

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by tete7000(m): 9:58am On Dec 28, 2016
Phi001:
Suing in the behalf of himself and the generality of who?

Abeg stop that play ooo...

I didn't send anyone message!!!

Generality doesn't have to involve you. It means majority, you can be part of the minority.
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by oluwambo149: 10:25am On Dec 28, 2016
season film
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by potent5(m): 11:39am On Dec 28, 2016
HAH:
Who is this attention seeking lawyer, the last time I check the president doesn't confirm the CJN but the NCS and NASS beside ononghen was just appointed in November
Ayam nut ondastandin yew.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by potent5(m): 11:41am On Dec 28, 2016
Kelklein:
how can Justice Onnoghen be joined as a co-defendant in a suit file in his favour

I smell all these guguru govt lawyers out to waste everybody's time

Like seriously..
Or maybe you don't know how these things work.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by potent5(m): 11:43am On Dec 28, 2016
ProfessorPeter:
You dey mind that Indomie generation
Indomie generation indeed. boy o boy. lol. Prof, takedeazy.
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by freeze001(f): 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
vickylincon:
Mtchew.. There's indeed a country. Buhari refused to confirm him as chief justice while the senate also refused to confirm magu.. The judiciary on the other hand refuse to put in jail perceived corrupt people.. Am waiting for nollywood to write a story on this film

Please note that it is the duty of the executive to prosecute suspected offenders to the logical end and with evidence beyond reasonable doubt of alleges guilt, the judiciary ie the courts can then sentence and jail offenders. Till that is done, the judiciary cannot do much.
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by freeze001(f): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
HAH:
Who is this attention seeking lawyer, the last time I check the president doesn't confirm the CJN but the NCS and NASS beside ononghen was just appointed in November

If u read and understand the provisions of the constitution, you will not make this ignorant statement.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by viktagorion: 12:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Suit is premature, and an abuse of court process...

Dead on arrival.
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by DamiBukola: 12:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
Kelklein:
how can Justice Onnoghen be joined as a co-defendant in a suit file in his favour

Like seriously..
That is why you are a layman, Justice Onnoghen is a necessary party being the acting Chairman of NJC.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by HAH: 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
freeze001:

If u read and understand the provisions of the constitution, you will not make this ignorant statement.

you can help an ignorant me by explaining the provision of the constitution
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by freeze001(f): 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2016
HAH:

you can help an ignorant me by explaining the provision of the constitution

The position and office of the CJN is not like other executive offices where one can remain in acting capacity ad infinitum so that puts paid to ur belief that having just been appointed in November there's ample time for games. The Constitution provides that where the office of CJN is vacant the NJC must recommend the next appointee to d President who shall then forward the name of such appointee to the Senate and upon confirmation by d Senate, the President then appoints a substantive CJN. So you see that while Mr President may nor be responsible for confirmation, it his his constitutional duty to transmit the name recommended to him by the NJC to the Senate and this he has inexplicably failed to do.

Now the constitution provides that where the above procedure hasn't been activated or complied with and d office of the CJN is vacant, the most senior Supreme Court Judge must be appointed by the president in acting capacity for only 3 months and may not be reappointed in that same acting capacity anymore. I'm sure u can then see that the 3 months is more than halfway spent; now the Senate will be on recess for the Christmas hols until they resume and that is more time wasted. It is therefore necessary to remind d president if he has forgotten to avoid a constitutional breach seeing that the most senior supreme Court justice is by practice always the next in line to be CJN.

Beyond constitutional requirements, there is no justification for the inexplicable delay and knowing d importance of judicial reforms in line with the anticorruption war, it is necessary that the independence of the Judiciary is affirmed and complete and that includes the full appointment of the CJN in substantive rather than acting capacity so he is not under any undue influence to act in a certain manner or refrain because his appointment still hangs in the balance.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by HAH: 1:37pm On Dec 28, 2016
freeze001:

The position and office of the CJN is not like other executive offices where one can remain in acting capacity ad infinitum so that puts paid to ur belief that having just been appointed in November there's ample time for games. The Constitution provides that where the office of CJN is vacant the NJC must recommend the next appointee to d President who shall then forward the name of such appointee to the Senate and upon confirmation by d Senate, the President then appoints a substantive CJN. So you see that while Mr President may nor be responsible for confirmation, it his his constitutional duty to transmit the name recommended to him by the NJC to the Senate and this he has inexplicably failed to do.

Now the constitution provides that where the above procedure hasn't been activated or complied with and d office of the CJN is vacant, the most senior Supreme Court Judge must be appointed by the president in acting capacity for only 3 months and may not be reappointed in that same acting capacity anymore. I'm sure u can then see that the 3 months is more than halfway spent; now the Senate will be on recess for the Christmas hols until they resume and that is more time wasted. It is therefore necessary to remind d president if he has forgotten to avoid a constitutional breach seeing that the most senior supreme Court justice is by practice always the next in line to be CJN.

Beyond constitutional requirements, there is no justification for the inexplicable delay and knowing d importance of judicial reforms in line with the anticorruption war, it is necessary that the independence of the Judiciary is affirmed and complete and that includes the full appointment of the CJN in substantive rather than acting capacity so he is not under any undue influence to act in a certain manner or refrain because his appointment still hangs in the balance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this really helped,as it is can the president reject the recommendation of the NJC and demand for a new nominee?
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by freeze001(f): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
HAH:

Thanks this really helped,as it is can the president reject the recommendation of the NJC and demand for a new nominee?

He would have to show cause to the NJC as to why he deems the recommended person unfit hence the rejection. He doesn't have power to pick and choose. Let's also be honest and call a spade a spade; his refusal to transmit his name to d Senate further affirms his ethnic and religious bias, giving even more credence to his 97% and 5% theory. Do we need that in Nigeria?

Rejecting the most senior justice of the Supreme Court and attempting to appoint a junior one means also breaches the judicially recognised respect for seniority at the bar and bench.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by freeze001(f): 1:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
Kelklein:

Like seriously..

Justice Ononghen is the head of the NJC and is therefore a necessary party to the suit.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by HAH: 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
freeze001:

He would have to show cause to the NJC as to why he deems the recommended person unfit hence the rejection. He doesn't have power to pick and choose. Let's also be honest and call a spade a spade; his refusal to transmit his name to d Senate further affirms his ethnic and religious bias, giving even more credence to his 97% and 5% theory. Do we need that in Nigeria?

Rejecting the most senior justice of the Supreme Court and attempting to appoint a junior one means also breaches the judicially recognised respect for seniority at the bar and bench.
I guess you are lawyer, do you practice? If so, where? I may need your service
Re: Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN by vickylincon(m): 11:04am On Dec 29, 2016
freeze001:

Please note that it is the duty of the executive to prosecute suspected offenders to the logical end and with evidence beyond reasonable doubt of alleges guilt, the judiciary ie the courts can then sentence and jail offenders. Till that is done, the judiciary cannot do much.
I quite agree with you. But also take note of the criminal administration act that was put in place to hasten the legal process.. But some layers keep using technicalities to postpone judgements. I think the judges need to step up and bring down hammer on those lawyers. Thanks for your enlightenment

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC, PDP Trade Words As Political Thuggery Takes Toll In Sokoto / Amaechi Talks About FG Mortgages For A Chinese Loan / I'm Predicting Buhari Will Win On Saturday!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.