Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,079 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting (29142 Views)

Enugu Govt. Begins Distribution Of Cashew Seedlings To Farmers / Yam Cultivation Investment / Continuation...yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 5:41pm On Mar 21, 2017
olushollys:
Good pls explain the process

Just start by cutting the yam into sizes of your choice

Cut the yam horizontally from the head to the tail, ensure that when planting, the head of any yam set should face upward or laid horizontally

If it is not clear enough I can still use pictures to demonstrate the aforementioned
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 5:59pm On Mar 21, 2017
Let me explain with pictures

2 Likes

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 6:05pm On Mar 21, 2017
Explanation with pics

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 6:20pm On Mar 21, 2017
Explanation with pics
Imoala:

Just start by cutting the yam into sizes of your choice

Cut the yam horizontally from the head to the tail, ensure that when planting, the head of any yam set should face upward or laid horizontally

If it is not clear enough I can still use pictures to demonstrate the aforementioned
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 7:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
Cutting a whole yam into seedlings explanation in pictures

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 3:12am On Mar 22, 2017
Pics

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Horus(m): 5:01am On Mar 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-yeCi34PY

Seed Yam production and marketing
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by RealityShot: 5:37am On Mar 22, 2017
Imoala:
Cutting a whole yam into seedlings explanation in pictures
so the sliced yam pieces are planted
with the with part facing up
like in your last picture, correct?

what thickness should one aim for, 1inch, 3inches?

thank you
#Pavore9
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 8:59am On Mar 22, 2017
My people I can't even post or access my thread again, what's happening here
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 10:38am On Mar 22, 2017
Other pics

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 10:50am On Mar 22, 2017
RealityShot:

so the sliced yam pieces are planted
with the with part facing up
like in your last picture, correct?

thank you
#Pavore9

Good question, the top of the sliced set must face upward or laid horizontally inside the yam heap, if you lay it upside-down the yam set will not grow, to be on the safe side you plant them horizontally when you ain't sure about the tail and head of the yam set

That's why when slicing a whole yam always put a cut on the middle yam sets to avoid confusion about the head and tail of the yam set

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by RealityShot: 8:39pm On Mar 22, 2017
Imoala:

Good question, the top of the sliced set must face upward or laid horizontally inside the yam heap, if you lay it upside-down the yam set will not grow, to be on the safe side you plant them horizontally when you ain't sure about the tail and head of the yam set

That's why when slicing a whole yam always put a cut on the middle yam sets to avoid confusion about the head and tail of the yam set
wow really great to know this!
thank you so much!

so how deep should we .put the slice?
and how thick should each slice be?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2017
RealityShot:

wow really great to know this!
thank you so much!

so how deep should we .put the slice?
and how thick should each slice be?

For me 15cm to 20cm should suffice in deepness

While 5cm to 8cm should suffice for thickness of yam set

All these measurements are subject to changes depends on you, because for me I don't measure I just cut and plant maybe because I use my experience

But I will do my accurate measurements and give more precise ones I just did rough estimate, but I know the above measurements won't be too different even when I do.

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by adescopy(m): 11:24pm On Mar 22, 2017
Thanks Op but u said u cover the cut face with ash before planting, is it actually necessary to do this and why.

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 6:05am On Mar 23, 2017
adescopy:
Thanks Op but u said u cover the cut face with ash before planting, is it actually necessary to do this and why.

Yea my brother good question, is not compulsory but its necessary, ashes or palm oil rubbed on the fresh faces of the yam will deprive microbes from the soil to come close to the yam seedlings inside the heaps until they germinate
Ashes help to turn the immediate soil area of the yam seedlings to alkaline which microbes abhor alot
Apart from the hot sun that spoils yam seedlings the next spoiler is microbes,

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by soil9: 6:09am On Mar 23, 2017
u can call 08139569921 for all agrochemicals needed for a successful yam production in Abuja. I am with jubaili agrotec Abuja branch
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by RealityShot: 7:44am On Mar 23, 2017
Imoala:

thanks!

is it bad if the soil is watered plenty after planting or if the soil is very wet during planting?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2017
RealityShot:
Imoala:

thanks!

is it bad if the soil is watered plenty after planting or if the soil is very wet during planting?

Not bad, but the soil must be able to drain water , water logged soil ain't too good for yam

2 Likes

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by RealityShot: 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2017
Imoala:

Not bad, but the soil must be able to drain water , water logged soil ain't too good for yam
great! Thank you!
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by deedii: 8:29pm On Mar 26, 2017
Imoala:
Let me explain with pictures
can you supply seedlings and how much? 08039619497 thanks
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 10:26pm On Mar 26, 2017
deedii:

can you supply seedlings and how much? 08039619497 thanks

Where are u? You can reach me on 08065560801
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
Heaps already made and yams about to be planted

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by kripen(m): 6:12pm On Apr 27, 2017
pls ops not all yam that is gud for planting reason that smooth yams that's not rough on the body have very slim chance to grow. and yams that are decayed will not also grow
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 8:12pm On May 02, 2017
My heaps are ready for planting

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 8:17pm On May 02, 2017
Yam heaps ready
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by oriewanbe: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2017
RealityShot:
so the sliced yam pieces are planted with the with part facing up like in your last picture, correct?
thank you #Pavore9
Can you use freshly harvested yams for your yam seed?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by oriewanbe: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2017
RealityShot:
so the sliced yam pieces are planted with the with part facing up like in your last picture, correct?
thank you #Pavore9
Can you use freshly harvested yams for your yam seed?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Abojupupa: 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2017
Where will you get stakes for the yam seedlings when they start crawling?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by mascottboy(m): 8:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
Pls oo, can i use chicken manure to apply my yam, nd of hw many month can apply dem.
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by adescopy(m): 4:58pm On Aug 25, 2017
mascottboy:
Pls oo, can i use chicken manure to apply my yam, nd of hw many month can apply dem.
Pls Never try applying fresh chicken manure to any crop else you damagd your crop and waste your energy and resources but you can apply after composing ( process of breaking down excess nitrogen), this may takes month duo. If you need quick fix go for orgarnic fertilizer or cow dung.
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by filcast(m): 4:53pm On Aug 26, 2017
pls what other crops can be planted in same farmland?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by filcast(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2017
what other crops can be cultivated on same land with yam

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalanders Palm Oil Mill / Pictures Of Obasanjo Encouraging Young Farmers / Maize Farmers Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.