Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,564 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka (23755 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by LasoulMacuby(m): 10:05am On Dec 30, 2016
MYGFGSGH:
The worst hater are those that hate truth which you and your 3rd class professor are.
A 3rd class professor who has impacted the Nigeria educational system in ways no one in you stupid lineage will ever do. Ogbeni, park well joor
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Orikinla1: 10:10am On Dec 30, 2016
blizzcelebTv:
watch-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZHEnGLMUQ
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has said he's going to hold a private funeral wake to mourn the death of Nigeria’s common sense.
Speaking to reporters at a media event held at Freedom Park on Lagos Island, Mr. Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, said he was embarrassed to share a country with some "imbeciles and morons." who criticisms him for saying he would destroy his "Green Card" of Donald Trump won the November Presidential election in the US.
He said, "I should not be exiting the United States but Nigeria because the people on behalf of whom one has struggled all one’s life can be so slavish in mentality as to start querying the right of their champion to free speech."

He continued, "I am embarrassed to occupy the same space as some imbeciles and morons," adding that the exit from Nigeria can be "internal" or "external

cc.lalasticlala, mynd44
Prof. Soyinka, the same ordeal I tolerate every day on Nairaland.
Too many intellectually re-tarded mofos. grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Elle277(f): 10:11am On Dec 30, 2016
@This Recession nah who you EPP go EPP you, Nigerians are not smiling.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Orikinla1: 10:13am On Dec 30, 2016
Olumaeme:
I am embarrassed to be in the same country as this buffoon, I still wonder how he got to win the Nobel price....

Stupid old fool, what's his benefit to Nigeria and Nigerians...
You are too intellectually re-tarded to even grasp any of his masterpieces in modern literature.

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by brodalikeme(m): 10:19am On Dec 30, 2016
Zedoo:

You don't know the half of how these men survived and fought military and colonial control and tyranny....

He is saying you Nigerians appreciate nothing. You beaker over bullshit... Yea his green card is the least of your problems why make a mountain out of it?

Small talk.

Hey there, without a shadow of doubt I know wole Soyinka contributed his bit to fighting colonialism and leaders he deemed were tyrant, but in the case in question, he came out to make a pronouncement I believe he wasn't coerced into and eventually did not keep his words. All these name calling cannot repair his badly damaged integrity. He invited himself into a room of banters. Next time he should choose issues he comments on very carefully, he is not the only one in that social space.

1 Like

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by musicwriter(m): 10:29am On Dec 30, 2016
blizzcelebTv:
watch-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZHEnGLMUQ
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has said he's going to hold a private funeral wake to mourn the death of Nigeria’s common sense.
Speaking to reporters at a media event held at Freedom Park on Lagos Island, Mr. Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, said he was embarrassed to share a country with some "imbeciles and morons." who criticisms him for saying he would destroy his "Green Card" of Donald Trump won the November Presidential election in the US.
He said, "I should not be exiting the United States but Nigeria because the people on behalf of whom one has struggled all one’s life can be so slavish in mentality as to start querying the right of their champion to free speech."

He continued, "I am embarrassed to occupy the same space as some imbeciles and morons," adding that the exit from Nigeria can be "internal" or "external

cc.lalasticlala, mynd44

@the bolded.

Well, when I was in school he used to be my hero and champion indeed, but that was then. In those days I was so passionate about him that I'll save every picture of him from newspapers and magazines. I had to use them to literally wrap my textbooks and put some in the middle of the books too. If I go to my village and if my books are still intact, I should still find some of his pictures there.

But, upon growing up and discovering the meaning of education and that he himself is under the matrix, I felt so cold and honestly ashamed for wanting to be like him. I realized he was simply being promoted by the west to be a model for others (African students) to follow. I realized the man has been used and still being used by the west to promote English language in Nigeria and other British colonies. And he don't even know it!!.

I haven't listened to the video,, but if he've started his usual word play in English which he's unable to do in his native Yoruba language or even in our Pidgin English, I' am sorry he's not an educated person. Education is about advancement of one's culture, language, ideals, philosophy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Zedoo(m): 10:31am On Dec 30, 2016
brodalikeme:

Hey there, without a shadow of doubt I know wole Soyinka contributed his bit to fighting colonialism and leaders he deemed were tyrant, but in the case in question, he came out to make a pronouncement I believe he wasn't coerced into and eventually did not keep his words. All these name calling cannot repair his badly damaged integrity. He invited himself into a room of banters. Next time he should choose issues he comments on very carefully, he is not the only one in that social space.

Did he invite anybody?
Lets not forget that the news was "pushed" to your noses.... It was nobody's business... Its just like celebrity coming out to say he wants to get a tatoo and later decides against it... Being a public figure doesn't excuse you from the indecisions of life and the error of making bogus statements in anger or whatever...

This is my point: How many times have you held your local government chairman responsible for failing in promises that actually affect the lives of scores of people??

Talk more governors or senators...

I accept that woke soyinka has shown himself to be frm the same cloth of promise and fail public figures n what have you... But the noise over this useless tearing exercise drowns anything I've seen or heard in terms of promises that ACTUALLY could change lives.....

Its small talk
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by LoveJesus87(m): 10:33am On Dec 30, 2016
Shortyy:
This is so 2016
3xactly dear. Compliments. How you doing today? smiley
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Heltinking(m): 11:08am On Dec 30, 2016
Old fool
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Olumaeme: 11:26am On Dec 30, 2016
Orikinla1:

You are too intellectually re-tarded to even grasp any of his masterpieces in modern literature.

You are one of the imbeciles He is talking about....

Kpele Mr slowpoke.... Oloriburuku

1 Like

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by MYGFGSGH: 11:27am On Dec 30, 2016
LasoulMacuby:

A 3rd class professor who has impacted the Nigeria educational system in ways no one in you stupid lineage will ever do. Ogbeni, park well joor
which one or you mean cultism? God forbid
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by BLoomfrancs(m): 11:32am On Dec 30, 2016
This conehead albino won't stop to amaze me.

Coward you used your mouth to say that you would tear your green card if Donald Trump were to become president.
* That happened and you didn't do shit.

You brought this on yourself by saying you would leave USA for Nigeria. Maybe the recession is hitting you very hard now.
* Remember that Fulani herdsmen once invaded your home; I just wish they come back again and I would want them not to only destroy your homestead but to cut off your head as well.

Incorrigible buffoon, you could have channeled your negative energy into something positive like authoring a book or composing a poem but no you prefer to vomit rubbish all the time.

When patience called you an educated illiterate, I thought she was mistaken but now I know better.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by Obason22(m): 11:56am On Dec 30, 2016
yoruba no go ever get sence, no matter their age
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by engrchykae(m): 12:20pm On Dec 30, 2016
the yorubas are not only sophisticated,they are also predictably unpredictable.believe them at your own peril.they dont do what they say and they dont say what they do.is it a surprise that their regional capital is OYO state( on your own )
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by smileyoo: 12:42pm On Dec 30, 2016
People should stop insulting this our prof. he has paid his dues to the nigerian nation, by his continous fight against injustice. nobody is perfect. its amaze me to see some people, who 've not gone far in their journey of life, insulting elders who 've seen it all. prof. soyinka deserve more respect from us than this.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by apadious1(m): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2016
commit sucide na.......
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by plaetton: 12:58pm On Dec 30, 2016
Dear Woke Soyinka,

Many of us who grew up seeing you as living God now feel very embarrassed when you speak.

You no longer have the spark.
Perhaps old age, and benign dementia, coupled with your bad-belle politics has taken the spark from your intellect.

These days, you're most interested in hearing the sound of your own voice, than in providing intellectual nourishment to the millions of old and young who have followed you along your fruitful career.

Might I suggest that you stick to what you how to do best: Playwriting, and leave national and international discourse to those with a broader mind.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by SaffronSpice: 4:26pm On Dec 30, 2016
musicwriter:

@the bolded.
Well, when I was in school he used to be my hero and champion indeed, but that was then. In those days I was so passionate about him that I'll save every picture of him from newspapers and magazines. I had to use them to literally wrap my textbooks and put some in the middle of the books too. If I go to my village and if my books are still intact, I should still find some of his pictures there.
But, upon growing up and discovering the meaning of education and that he himself is under the matrix, I felt so cold and honestly ashamed for wanting to be like him.I realized he was simply being prompted by the west to be a model for others (African students) to follow. I realized the man has been used and still being used by the west to promote English language in Nigeria and other British colonies. And he don't even know it!!.
I haven't listened to the video,, but if he've started his usual word play in English which he's unable to do in his native Yoruba language or even in our Pidgin English, I' am sorry he's not an educated person
. Education is about advancement of one's culture, language, ideals, philosophy.
prof. Wole Soyinka is not being used by the West.his criticism of the Negritude movement does not mean he distances himself from his roots.if you've read his stance on the matter, you'll agree with him.
What do you mean by "wordplay which he's unable to do in his native yoruba or our pidgin english"?
He writes in pidgin at times.death and the king's horseman contains pidgin.Abiku is one of his more popular poems:are the theme &title european?they are not.
The poem bristles with vivid imagery,symbolism,and figures of speech only a person with an in-depth knowledge of african culture can weave into a masterpiece.
What about death in the dawn?
The metaphor "dog-nose wetness of the earth" is a free translation from yoruba to english.
He even translated a book by d.o fagunwa into english;that requires a mastery of both languages.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by musicwriter(m): 4:38pm On Dec 30, 2016
SaffronSpice:

prof. Wole Soyinka is not being used by the West.his criticism of the Negritude movement does not mean he distances himself from his roots.if you've read his stance on the matter, you'll agree with him.
What do you mean by "wordplay which he's unable to do in his native yoruba or our pidgin english"?
He writes in pidgin at times.death and the king's horseman contains pidgin.Abiku is one of his more popular poems:are the theme &title european?they are not.
The poem bristles with vivid imagery,symbolism,and figures of speech only a person with an in-depth knowledge of african culture can weave into a masterpiece.
What about death in the dawn?
The metaphor "dog-nose wetness of the earth" is a free translation from yoruba to english.
He even translated a book by d.o fagunwa into english;that requires a mastery of both languages.

(1). How many books has he written in Yoruba language?

(2). His works has been translated to various languages, Spanish, German, Russian, e.t.c. How many of his books has been translated to Yoruba?

(3). How many times did you see him speak the Yoruba language on TV?

(4). How many times have you seen him speak Pidgin on TV?

You see? However, I' am not saying he've done anything wrong, but that even with his education he's a victim of colonialism like everyone else. In fact, it's the education itself that have alienated him from all that!!

1 Like

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by SaffronSpice: 5:23pm On Dec 30, 2016
musicwriter:

(1). How many books has he written in Yoruba language?
(2). His works has been translated to various languages, Spanish, German, Russian, e.t.c. How many of his books has been translated to Yoruba?
(3). How many times did you see him speak the Yoruba language on TV?
(4). How many times have you seen him speak Pidgin on TV?
You see, I' am not saying he've done anything wrong, but that he's a victim of colonialism like everyone else.
1)he incorporate the language and culture into most of his work; he does not have to release a book entirely in yoruba to show how loyal he's to africa.
2)the publishers should be in the best position to answer your question.
3)you speak the language of your interviewer in an interview;do you know of any in which he replied questions thrown at him in yoruba in english?
4)it depends on the occasion/audience.do you expect someone of his pedigree to appear on TV commenting on the state of the nation in pidgin before the entire country?
Of course he is.he's made of flesh and blood now.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by musicwriter(m): 5:54pm On Dec 30, 2016
SaffronSpice:

1)he incorporate the language and culture into most of his work; he does not have to release a book entirely in yoruba to show how loyal he's to africa.
2)the publishers should be in the best position to answer your question.
3)you speak the language of your interviewer in an interview;do you know of any in which he replied questions thrown at him in yoruba in english?
4)it depends on the occasion/audience.do you expect someone of his pedigree to appear on TV commenting on the state of the nation in pidgin before the entire country?
Of course he is.he's made of flesh and blood now.

1. Nobody is talking about love for Africa, but the system that makes it impossible for him to write in his own language.

2. No, the publishers are not in the best position to know. You can present a book in any language. Soyinka is not the only person to have won the Nobel laureate. In fact, hundreds of authors have written book in German, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, French, Chinese, e.t.c before translating to English. So, aside the nobel laureate, they also do win various prizes in their various languages.

3. Again, I' am talking about a system not Soyinka. And when you understand why he can't be interviewed in Yoruba you'll understand what I' am talking about.

4. The system that makes you think our Pidgin is inferior and shouldn't be used to pose a question to the so called educated elites is what I' am talking about.

If you want to know what my views are, read the link on my signature, cause I' am out. This's a dead thread.

1 Like

Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by SaffronSpice: 7:11pm On Dec 30, 2016
musicwriter:

1. Nobody is talking about love for Africa, but the system that makes it impossible for him to write in his own language.
2. No, the publishers are not in the best position to know. You can present a book in any language. Soyinka is not the only person to have won the Nobel laureate. In fact, hundreds of authors have written book in German, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, French, Chinese, e.t.c before translating to English. So, aside the nobel laureate, they also do win various prizes in their various languages.
3. Again, I' am talking about a system not Soyinka. And when you understand why he can't be interviewed in Yoruba you'll understand what I' am talking about.
4. The system that makes you think our Pidgin is inferior and shouldn't be used to pose a question to the so called educated elites is what I' am talking about.
If you want to know what my views are, read the link on my signature, cause I' am out. This's a dead thread.
wouldn't reply the points you enumerated since this exchange appears to be a waste of time,but you were not criticizing the system in the bold below.

musicwriter:

upon growing up and discovering the meaning of education and that he himself is under the matrix, I felt so cold and honestly ashamed for wanting to be like him. I realized he was simply being promoted by the west to be a model for others (African students) to follow. I realized the man has been used and still being used by the west to promote English language in Nigeria and other British colonies. And he don't even know it!!.
I haven't listened to the video,, but if he've started his usual word play in English which he's unable to do in his native Yoruba language or even in our Pidgin English, I' am sorry he's not an educated person.
Re: I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka by GGirll: 10:14pm On Dec 30, 2016
Ibu is really a very guy, how on earth will someone eat like this
DirtyGold:

[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]
We'd save ourselves a lot of trouble by keeping our mouth shut.

What's tha business?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Once Upon A Time / The Reunion....(A Short Story) / Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.